Sign in to follow this  
mattman

MOC: 9V Wagon Train

Ok here we go!

At home we're starting on a little bit of a medieval theme (my wife posted her first big medieval MOC on EB yesterday) but wanted some train incorporation. Problem? No trains in medieval times! Welll.... not in the traditional sense - hence my wagon train! I've broken rules again, it's not 6-wide I know, but being single bogey carts it doesn't cause issues on track (34-long car in my xmas train has bigger clearance issues), being that we're also talking medieval wagon train the normal couplings obviously aren't appropriate - so we have a new idea for that too ;) There's no on-car movement at this point and that's unlikely to change - the carts are far too small to hide any secret motors.

6290689627_e7eeac7b01.jpg

Wagon Train test by Matt_Henry_Aus, on Flickr

6290690055_838f736b73.jpg

Wagon Train test by Matt_Henry_Aus, on Flickr

It's just a WIP/proof of concept at the moment, obviously lots of work to come, but it works! I doubt it will get extended past 3 carts given it's already unrealistic being pulled by a single horse ;)

EDIT

Don't care about reading the thread? Here's some finished pics :)

6297850705_8231280ff1.jpg

Lego Wagon Train Landscape by Matt_Henry_Aus, on Flickr

Wagon Train by myself, landscape done by my wife "lorax"

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mattman

Nice to see something a bit different from the normal trains. Be good to see what you can do with it. Perhaps two horses?

My only concern with going 2 horses is that it'll run over the edge of the track on corners - 1 horse being very central on the track doesn't have this issue. Having said all of that... I haven't tested it either :)

And yeah, I don't do normal trains :laugh:

Edited by mattman

Now that's original 'mattman', a horse and cart on a 9V train motor assembly - AWESOME ! :grin:

Pity the horses legs don't (can't) room in time with the trains motion. :wink:

Brick On 'mattman' ! :classic:

I had a play with the horse setup - definitely only can have one before you get clearance issues. 2 horses side-by-side is 8 studs wide at best, and 2 horses end-to-end projects too far in front of the cart and just hangs off the edge of the track. I could change it for a cow/ox but I don't think it would look as good - I'd rather go with the improbable :wink:

LT - I'd love to get movement in there somehow :D But yeah - no space to do anything fancy here.

My plan for the wagon carts:

1 - horse, driver and small amount of goods (though will re-do the design of the wagon)

2 - stock + someone to keep the wagon in control

3 - I'm thinking of doing a guards carriage, what self respecting merchant doesn't have a couple of folks around handy with a cudgel??

#2 I've pretty much finished the wagon, just needs to be filled out... will keep working!

Matt

Edited by mattman

This soo asks for a micromotor.

If only there were room for a battery......

Anyway... proof that I shouldn't post a thread about something claiming to be a WIP... because then I just go finish it lol. Well, it's near enough for now at least. We have some ideas about the horse/s still but that's for another night I think.

6290935863_a2ec3749b4.jpg

Lego wagon train by Matt_Henry_Aus, on Flickr

6290936269_4b2d6c90dc.jpg

6290936699_728353b128.jpg

6290937225_72e9b1bd00.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

Matt

New day... new ideas :)

Last night we were playing with various technic parts to get a suitable hinge to use for the horses up front. Clear head this morning told me that a simple 2x2 turntable will do everything we need :D So... now... we have 2 horses, and no issues with them running off the track since they actually follow the track! There's a turntable under the driver and also in the 2 hitchings between the 2 horses, using much smaller train wheels (came off the EN from memory) and smaller axle setup as a normal train axle woulda been a bit silly :)

6293364976_591041af66.jpg

Lego Wagon Train by Matt_Henry_Aus, on Flickr

6292840891_76877be90f.jpg

And obviously some more hitchings of the same colour have just gone on my BL wishlist ;)

Cheers

Matt

Interesting technique! This might be useful for re-creating some of the early wagonways, such as the Derby Canal Railway or similar horse-drawn railways...

Oh - I didn't even know these existed! Yes it would be very easy to make something like that, with a bit of work I'm sure someone clever could get the wagon wheels and horses nearer to track level which would look even more authentic.

Matt

New day... new ideas :)

Last night we were playing with various technic parts to get a suitable hinge to use for the horses up front. Clear head this morning told me that a simple 2x2 turntable will do everything we need :D So... now... we have 2 horses, and no issues with them running off the track since they actually follow the track! There's a turntable under the driver and also in the 2 hitchings between the 2 horses, using much smaller train wheels (came off the EN from memory) and smaller axle setup as a normal train axle woulda been a bit silly :)

6293364976_591041af66.jpg

6292840891_76877be90f.jpg

And obviously some more hitchings of the same colour have just gone on my BL wishlist ;)

Cheers

Matt

i was going to suggest this route with the tiny wheels under the front legs of the horse and articulating the horse to the cart. but i would go for the two horses side by side as they would be in real life which should give you the opportunity to hide the wheels under the front feet of the horses??

Would the front axles of the cart not normally be on a turntable? Then the parallel horses would be on a mini-cart (small wheels) and the 'front' wheels of the cart would turn just a little. Since the cart wheels are already wider than the 9V track, there might be just enough space on the tight curves?

The other way would be to hide the PF-M motor inside which drives some wheel sets, using techniques of the driven bogeys / trucks often found at railbricks.com

In the end this is a surperb idea... if you managed it with hidden track it would look really good. Well done.

One of the small 9v batteryboxes should fit?

Hi guys, I probably could fit one of the old 9v boxes, OR I could fit a pf motor, but there's no way I could get both in. Also with the front of the cart being articulated, would be very hard especially on the first cart given that's where the train motor is - the cart is built directly onto it.

But thankyou for the suggestions, I'm always happy to look at ideas to improve it.

Matt

I have the battery box, but not a micromotor. The problem still lies in what to do with it though. Each wheel is on it's own axle as otherwise the axle would have to run through the middle of the train motor (kind of not possible), and then I'd have to fit in some kind of crazy gearing system to hook it up to all 4 wagon wheels.

Believe me - I like motorisation in my trains ... just see my xmas train ;) But I really don't think it's going to happen on this one.

Matt

Being an awesome wife... *cough cough* ... I have built a landscape for Matt's wagon train. I am a terrible photographer (I only know how to use Auto) but here is his Wagon train built into a landscape.

6297889442_bd016f6cdc.jpg

Matt's cart in landscape by tikitikitembo, on Flickr

6297374927_14e638e717.jpg

Matt's cart in landscape by tikitikitembo, on Flickr

This was just to experiment how I would need to build, to give the appearance of it not being on rails.

Some better photos with the landscape :) (not taken in auto mode :P)

6297850509_a47862d46d.jpg

6297850705_8231280ff1.jpg

Have just rebuilt the hitch mechanism, it's not particularly realistic but it's functional :) Trying to run a hitch back off each horse just gets messy.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by mattman