gallery_2351_18_164.gif

img_9215.jpg

Holiday Set 1 of 2

Set 3300020

# of parts: 98

# of minifigs: 1

RRP: GBP 7.49*

Links: Brickset Bricklink

* These sets were given away with Lego store purchases worth GBP 50/USD 99 or more, although a quick glance at a cash register showed these sets being added at a "discount" of GBP -7.49.

This is more of an overview of the set, and is intended to give people a more accurate view of what the set is like (as not many people realise the pictures Lego put out are actually renders).

I was going to wait until I got hold of the second set to do a double review, but I don't know if people will be able to get hold of these after October, without having to re-mortgage. There are just a few days left, so you can still get one if you spend spend spend at a Lego store or online.

I have two copies of this set: the one you see here, and a mint-condition one received today that will go into my vault.

The box

img_9220.jpg

The back of the box, which also shows the second half of this set. Lego really wants to ram the message home: "don't you go to sleep, there's another part to this set and you have to get it to obtain the full experience."

img_9224.jpg

img_9228.jpg

The contents

img_9230.jpg

As you can see I already got started taking the bags apart, but here are the contents of the box. The instructions are folded in two to fit.

img_9235.jpg

One of the bags contains the smaller elements.

img_9255.jpg

The tiles and plates included in this set: lots of colour.

img_9240.jpg

Look at the sheer number of Dark Red bricks in this set. LOOK AT IT! It's not bad for a set this size, but again it may have contributed to the overall (assumed) price.

Stars of the show

img_9243.jpg

These are the pieces that stood out for me. On the top of the list are the 2x2 jumper plates in Bright Green: these are currently found only in this set and two of the Heroica games. Bright Green elements maketh a day.

There are also two 1x4 Dark Tan plates in the set, which are also exclusive to this set and two Heroica games. There's even a fifth cheese slope in Pearl Gold that I'd overlooked.

Building the model

img_9258.jpg

First we have the carpet...

img_9264.jpg

...then the walls...

img_9268.jpg

...adding the window...

img_9273.jpg

...and then finish with the tiles and the picture frame.

img_9280.jpg

I included this shot in case someone somewhere gets confused with where to put things. Personally I would have added these parts before adding the walls.

img_9281.jpg

The Pearl Gold cheese slopes serve as makeshift bows for the presents.

img_9288.jpg

The Christmas tree is a very simple build, but I had this particular gripe: why bother using a Bright Green jumper plate if it's going to be covered up? Was it necessary to use a jumper plate here at all?

Then I realised: maybe it's simpler and more cost-effective to use a part used elsewhere in the set. Another section of the tree is rotated on top of the other jumper plate.

img_9296.jpg

Here's the finished model. All that's left is to add...

img_9298.jpg

...Timmy, who looks suspiciously like the boy from 2010's City Advent Calendar.

img_9312.jpg

And here he is within the set.

Leftovers

img_9319.jpg

And at the back of the instructions:

img_9315.jpg

More incentive (read: pressure) to collect all the Winter sets!

img_9316.jpg

I thought it was quite funny that they included the murder victim as a "figure" in the Winter Village Bakery lineup.

The verdict

If you're a fan of the Winter sets, or you want a small Lego Christmas display due to lack of space, this is worth getting hold of. But it's worth getting hold of with a large purchase from a Lego store; I'd hate to think how much these sets would go for on feeBay or elsewhere, especially if they're not made available by Lego after this month.

As there's no definitive price for this set, I won't (yet?) give a score.

Edited by SilentMode
Indexed

Thanks for the review! Now that i've seen the set a little bit better (although to be honest, theres not that much to see), I still think Part 2 is better only because i'm in love with those new 1x1 round tiles. :blush:

Edited by TheKingOfBuilding

Great review!, I love that ship on the tile as well. Pirate fans will be after that.

Thank you for the review!

I'm happy the tile is printed, and I hope I can persuade myself to get the Battle of Endor before Halloween :tongue:

Thanks 'SilentMode' for this review, sweet build....though I do not like that Christmas tree at all...sorry, everyone but it's ugly in my opinion. :blush:

But the room walls, etc., are fantastic. :thumbup:

Brick On Deck The Halls On ! :classic:

Thanks for the review 'SilentMode'. :thumbup:

I ended up ordering some more so I could receive a couple of these. I decided to open one and build it, however, in the end it was smaller than I perceived in the pictures (even though you can clearly count the studs). :hmpf_bad:

I can't wait until I can order the second half. I'm actually working on a secret MOC that will use little vignettes similar to these in a series of scenes. Watch for my post closer to Christmas. :wink:

I think Lego did a nice job of designing this set, but overall as a set it seems small. I guess I'm not appreciating the fact that it was "free", however, I did order $200+ more Lego than I had planned on just so I could get 2 of these. To me it feels like each one cost $100 as I filed away the other stuff I bought.

Locutis

Great review of a reat little set, but sadly I missed out. Been trying for a while to get my account to work online so I could order the Pet Shop and get myself one of these, but to no avail. When I got through to them on the phone today (when I was finally free of school work and work work) I was told that they had sold out and I wouldn't be able to get one..

However, the lady told me to call back tomorrow to get the second part of the set instead, which I may get again later in the month with the Camper Van, so if anyone's up for trading a part two for a part one, drop me a line.. :tongue:

I managed to get one of these unexpectedly when I placed my recent order, which was nice.

For those who missed out though - the whole thing is surely production parts - probably even the little ship picture is going to crop up somewhere else (i.e. in the other half of the set coming soon!) - and so I suspect this would be reasonably easy and inexpensive to piece together from PaB :)

I went to buy the new Milennium Falcon today and got the set with it! I like it very much, especially all the wonderful dark red bricks. Can't wait for the second one - even though I don't know what to buy to get it yet...

I'm glad to see this review (too bad i'm so slow at reviews, but you beat me). Excellent photos and description.

I already know what I'll be buying next month to get #2. They sure do like getting my money over at TLG. :laugh:

Thank you for the nice review.

I like this set a lot, but I'm a bit dissapointed about the prize.

I managed to get one of these unexpectedly when I placed my recent order, which was nice.

For those who missed out though - the whole thing is surely production parts - probably even the little ship picture is going to crop up somewhere else (i.e. in the other half of the set coming soon!) - and so I suspect this would be reasonably easy and inexpensive to piece together from PaB :)

The ship is actually from the London Escape set from this year's Pirates of the Caribbean theme. So it's not even new. Still not a bad piece, though.

Anyway, great review. This is a very nice product design, especially for just a free "bonus" set with large purchases. The boldly-colored gifts, brightly-colored tree, and tasteful floor pattern are all remarkably sophisticated, especially for what is essentially LEGO's first foray into 8x8 vignettes (at least, their first in several years-- I suppose there were vignette qualities to some of those early dollhouse-style Harry Potter sets).

Thanks for the great review. I didn't know it came in a proper box and not a poly bag. Wished I had made the purchase earlier..it looks like S@H has already run out of stock for this set. No choice but to feed Ebay scalpers then.default_cry4.gif

Thanks for the great review. I didn't know it came in a proper box and not a poly bag. Wished I had made the purchase earlier..it looks like S@H has already run out of stock for this set. No choice but to feed Ebay scalpers then.default_cry4.gif

Actually, that's not quite the case; some of the physical, brick-and-mortar LEGO Stores still have copies, or at least they did as of a few days ago. If you can order from a store that still has them, you should be able to get one (but act quickly!).

:classic: