Sign in to follow this  
KimT

7706 Hero Tank / Defense Tank or whatever

indexed.gif

Knowing that there already is a review I still decided to do yet another of this set.

First (to get things started) here's a pic of the thingy:

tank002.jpg

From afar it looks pretty cool *y* But it's actually pretty far from cool when closely looked at |-/

It has a great colour scheme - orange ROCKS!, but the excessive use of technical parts really stand out and makes the track suspension look fragile:

tank006.jpg

In order to "cover" the open designs the LEGO designers added exhaust pipes :-X and they're not cool.

tank005.jpg

Then there's the gun turret. I still don't understand how he controls the cannon or even how to fire the disc launcher since the attachment to the tank makes it nearly impossible (the turret turns when the disc launcher is pushed):

tank004.jpg

tank009.jpg

[above is an image of the attachment between tank and turret *n* ]

The idea have four tracks is actually awesome. The design used is B-A-D. The tracks are "loose" and when adding force to push them into motion the tank collapses:

tank007.jpg

tank008.jpg

The tank looks more like a tortoise than a robot slaying piece of war machinery :'-(

Last and least there's the rocket launcher on the sides of the tank. They have the same useless connection as the turret and there's no chance to actually "launch" the rockets. I wish they did them like the flammable rockets in the viking-theme. They're stuck to the launcher and it looks horrific:

tank011.jpg

All that said, I must admit that the set holds great bricks *y*

The Verdict:

Playability 1/10 due to the turret, rockets, tracks, disc launcher (from which the discs keep falling out)

Design 3/10 great colour scheme, sorry MB open design, non-hid technic construction

Figs 10/10 Exo-Force RULES!

Price 5/10 Too expensive for my tatse. Not enough bricks, too many big ones and way too much technic

All in all 3/10 (figs don't count ;-) )

Buy it when on sale if You're a collector or just in it for the bricks

KimT

Yeah, I've put off buying it awhile.

I want the 4 disc joints on the undercarriage, I want the big orange parts.

But the set should be more like 20, $25 max. It'll probably sell off before hitting the really good sales though.

I had a sneaky feeling that "rolling" it would be difficult. Tank-treaded toys are rarely done right, Lego or otherwise.

How could you say that about this sweet set! *n* This set rocks , and the reason it crumbles when you put pressure on it is so you can adjust the height. And the price is awesome! Do you realize how cheap exo-force is ? If it was as much a rip-off as Knight's Kingdom prices, theyd be selling Thunder Furys for $30.00! But I do have to admit the disk shooter sucks. My opinion is that this is a great set.

dillthepill

I had a sneaky feeling that "rolling" it would be difficult. Tank-treaded toys are rarely done right, Lego or otherwise.

I have this tank,and rolling it is indeed difficult.They should have done the threads like Muaka & Kane-Ra.