285 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to feel the packets?

• Yes
    • Yes but not for army building
    • No
  2. 2. Is opening the packets too far?

• Yes
    • No

This is the internet and people feel free to say ridiculous things anonymously. If there was a question asking if it was going to far to hold up the store at gunpoint and steal all the minifigures, a few people would have still said no.

That is true. The beauty of the Internet is you can pretty much say whatever you please and get away with it. Hell, those 7 "no" could very well just be trolls...

I think feeling packets is fine, but opening is crossing the line. The other day I found 4-5 series 7 packs open -- it's unlikely that they will sell now. People should be happy that they are put in a box like KidRobot vinyl figures (simpsons, dunnys, etc)-- now those are hard to figure out what you are getting.

Well put! That's definitely up to chance on what you get.

That is true. The beauty of the Internet is you can pretty much say whatever you please and get away with it. Hell, those 7 "no" could very well just be trolls...

Well, it's also possible that they just misread the question!

I also almost chose "No" because I didn't read it correctly. :wink:

I had a nice incidence today.

I was feeling the packets eagerly, because I was confused. I had already gone through 3 boxes looking for dot codes. I could not identify a single fig, because I used dot codes I had compiled for myself from packets from a different shop. It had never happened to me that two different sets of dot codes appeared in shops merely 200m apart. So, as I resorted to feeling, hurried, annoyed and feeling a bit surveilled by the store employees, one of them came and said "If you find a bagpiper, let me know." They told me that all the employees feel the packets for their personal supply. So I took my time undisturbed.

The best method so far is combining feeling and dot codes. Feel until you get the first definite hit, then code on.

I have a few friends that work in a LEGO store, I was in there just the other day watching a couple of the employees feeling the packets, helping a kid find the minifig he was looking for. I was fairly amused by it, and immediately thought of this thread. I asked them about it, and they said they do it all the time. The assistant manager even chimed in and mentioned having an army of musketeers (although largely from the build a mini bar, I think).

I have a few friends that work in a LEGO store, I was in there just the other day watching a couple of the employees feeling the packets, helping a kid find the minifig he was looking for. I was fairly amused by it, and immediately thought of this thread. I asked them about it, and they said they do it all the time. The assistant manager even chimed in and mentioned having an army of musketeers (although largely from the build a mini bar, I think).

I fear Lego will make impossible to feel the bags as it is becoming too wide spread.

I was one of the first ones, I was already able to do that on S1 because I yet didn't know about the barcodes.

Now with a 0% chance of errors, I really am afraid that Lego will thicken the bags... :cry_sad:

Or if they take a page out of the KidRobot book -- put them in boxes. Then add insane ratios to them like 1/96 or something. If that happened I would probably drop the line -- I'm still working on a few KidRobot sets that released over a year ago. I really hope they don't go this route.

I choose to believe it will just stay as it.

Those who want surprises can get surprises.

Those who want to enjoy the feeling of beating the system can enjoy it.

I think it is a marketing strategy: People feel smart because they beat the system, they exchance stories on how they did it, they conspire to find better ways, they share the fear of "being caught" in the shop.

This it nothing but making figs "viral" by this clever trick.

Do you know which experience is recreated in feeling the packets? Feeling christmas presents before christmas! Same struture: feeling, hoping it is what you expect, fear of getting caught.

TLG creates a emotional, exciting, haptic experience that mirrors events from our childhood. This creates a emotional connection with the product. I love my 60 elves, because I fought for them.

Why on earth would they change that?

And WE think it's US who outsmart THEM?!

Edited by Wardancer

I think that feeling the packs for the minifigures you want is totaly OK. But maybe, for example, if you were looking for the bride from series 7, you should probably be a little careful so you don't breake the flowers or the veil by mistake.

But opening the bags in the store is way to far! Pieces will probably get lost from the bag and it costs the store money (as no one would like to buy an opened bag). Thankfully, I haven't encountred this in any Swedish store!

LEGOfan123

Edited by LEGOfan123

Personally I think feeling the bags is pretty kosher, as that's how I got my series 5 guys (And some purposeful duplicates. You can never have enough gangsters) and some of the series 6 guys I wanted. Plus let's say there's a kid who wanted a Highlander, and you helped him out by feeling the packets until you found one for him. Not only is it helpful for you, but also gives you an opportunity to help those who might want a certain figure. I read throughout this thread about how some Lego store employees will feel the bags until they get a certain figure for a customer, but I digress,

On that note, opening them is not only crossing the line but riding a rocket right over the line and crossing it until said rocket runs out of fuel. It's just not right and, in my book, counts as theft. It ruins the experience for everyone then, it's just plain sleazy.

But I have no qualms for people who buy them as intended: a surprise. The only reason I'd do it is if I'm in a hurry and I want to feel like it's Christmas, not knowing which figure(s) I've gotten. Plus if I got one I didn't really want, I'd just either find a use for it or sell it on eBay/give it to a friend.

I felt my way through three boxes today all fresh from the stockroom and unopened looking for a space warrior/marine figure and only found one! I was not rushed in anyway, but I was surprised to go through two whole boxes without finding a single figure.

Its been a long time since I posted in this thread, yet I still don't understand the concept of army building, even after reading through the pages and posts of army builders.

Rant: ON

Why does it matter how many of a figure you have. Collect several of them just so you can put them in a creation to stare at it all day? Are army builders that bored? Can they get out and do something else for a change? And put it [the MOC] on the internet to show 500 people [or more] that you will never meet in your life what a great creation you made? Lego is meant to be played with. I bet every army builder is afraid to play with their figures (I define playing as constant moving and toying with the figure every day for fun) with the risk that they might break a piece. Also, army building deprives what Lego should be used for: playing. And buying a bunch to sell online? I understand maybe 5-10, but more than that is just not right. Driving to a bunch of stores just to buy figures? Are they that desperate for money, want to make more money, or are just that bored? I'm sorry, but army building is just wrong, and something that bored, socially impaired adults do.

Rant: OFF

I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this, and I welcome that. I want more of an explanation than "I wanted to make a great MOC," or "I love that figurine so much."

I'm not trying to offend army builders. I'm just saying why army building is wrong.

I say feeling the packets is fine :thumbup: , but opening them is too far :thumbdown: .

Opening the packets is stealing is my book.

I say feeling the packets is fine :thumbup: , but opening them is too far :thumbdown: .

Opening the packets is stealing is my book.

Exactly how I feel.

Rant: ON

Why does it matter how many of a figure you have.

It apparently matters a whole lot to you how many figures I have. Should we always request your approval whenever we decide to purchase another piece for our collection? :wacko:

Collect several of them just so you can put them in a creation to stare at it all day? Are army builders that bored?

You assume that’s all every army builder does with their figures? I enjoy doing much more with my (admittedly small) armies, such as equipping them, unequipping them, forming ranks and battalions, and giving each figure I own a purpose for their king. At least we're not bored enough to rant, complain, and resort to name calling.

Can they get out and do something else for a change?

You're also assuming that our army building takes up 100% of our time.

And put it [the MOC] on the internet to show 500 people [or more] that you will never meet in your life what a great creation you made? Lego is meant to be played with. I bet every army builder is afraid to play with their figures (I define playing as constant moving and toying with the figure every day for fun) with the risk that they might break a piece. Also, army building deprives what Lego should be used for: playing.

Dictionary definition: Play n. Exercise or activity for amusement or recreation. I believe army building is just that. I enjoy making armies, and that’s exactly what Lego allows me to do. Do you also assume that every single AFoL who does not make their tiny figures fight other tiny figures is using the product incorrectly? I can only imagine how offended model builders are at that statement, sir.

And buying a bunch to sell online? I understand maybe 5-10, but more than that is just not right. Driving to a bunch of stores just to buy figures? Are they that desperate for money, want to make more money, or are just that bored?

Again, why is that not right? Why do you have a cap of what is acceptable and what is not? Did some magic Lego Genie tell you that after he's what was left for you in the box? :wacko: While I don't buy anything for resale personally, I understand that it happens, and I take it into account when I go to the store to buy figures when a new series hits. It's not that difficult to understand- people do it, and if you want to get figures before them, then do so. Just because it's morally wrong to you does not mean it is for them; as it isn't illegal in the slightest, it's something you're going to have to learn to deal with. It might be "wrong" to you (for whatever magical reason), but ultimately it isn't up to you to decide how they use what's available to them.

I'm sorry, but army building is just wrong, and something that bored, socially impaired adults do.

Rant: OFF

I can tell that you certainly sound sorry. I, for one, don't appreciate being called a "socially impaired adult," especially by someone who knows absolutely nothing about me. You can make a judgmental statement, certainly, but passing it off as a fact instead of an opinion is something that I see as rather immature. My troops are nothing that I resort to due to boredom, but rather it's an activity that I can fully enjoy doing when the opportunity arises, such as a new wave of sets or a new series of Collectable Minifigures.

I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this, and I welcome that. I want more of an explanation than "I wanted to make a great MOC," or "I love that figurine so much."

I'm not trying to offend army builders. I'm just saying why army building is wrong.

Firstly, while I'm indeed giving my explanation, it seems as though one is required in order for you to accept that we actually enjoy some small aspect of Lego. Why does it matter to you what aspect that is, when all that really matters is that we enjoy it? Sure, some are used for wonderful MOCs, and some I purchase just because I appreciate the figure, but ultimately it's not up to you what I buy or why it is that I buy it. Just because you view something as "wrong" doesn't mean it is. We enjoy it, for whatever reason, and that's all that matters.

Now, on a lighter note, I personally view nothing wrong with feeling the packets. I've never been questioned about it at any toy store or even the Lego stores that I've visited. In fact, as some others have made mention of previously, some employees are even kind enough to assist in the searching. One local store near me even numbers the packs 1-16 to correlate to which minifigure is inside, but they do it discretely enough to not ruin it for those that wish to gamble. In addition, I found dozens of figures for people over the holiday season for their kids, which was a very delightful feeling. :sweet:

Although I certainly approve of feeling the packages, almost nothing is more disappointing than seeing a package opened. If a package of anything is opened, to me, the product is ruined. Sure, every piece might still be in the package, but I can't imagine a store knowingly keeping it on the floor for sale while remaining opened.

Wow Mrlegoninja...wow.

And you say WE(army builders) need a life? You're the one making a stink over someone that you will never meet is doing with their own money. The figs are available to everyone. Whether it be at a store, online, eBay or bricklink. And, what's wrong with displaying ones LEGO? I don't play with my LEGO, I build and display it. Army building is just another aspect of collecting. What's the difference in collecting one of each CMF or 16 of one? None. I recently got into army building(see signature). I like the Attack of the Clones movie, and the clones figure and the variety, so I collect clones. I think you're making too big of a deal of this...

How many of one type of figure makes it an army? I have about thirty ADU troopers that I got from various sets and similar number of aliens, are they an army?

Back to the point, feeling is allowed at my local toy store, but I think an element of polite behavior is called for. If I am there when they open first thing and spend 10 or 15 minutes feeling it is not a problem as the shop is empty; however at dinner time on a Saturday it is crammed full of kids and parents navigating the corridors with pushchairs. Having a couple of large adults blocking the minifigure counter for ages feeling them all is just going to be an annoyance.

On occasion when I have been looking for a particular figure and cannot find it even with the help of the shop staff (As they are quite friendly.) then they have opened ones we think maybe it but are not sure about it. But I would never do this myself as that would be very wrong. Also this is only when we think we havbe the right one and are just checking, 9 times out of 10 we are rigt so I would buy the figure anyway. I usually end up buying it even if it is not as then it can just be anothe figure in the Lego town or parts for them.

We have wondered at he need for the little bags really as when I spoke to the store manager he has said that they always sell out of minifigs and even though people have the complete set they still come back for more just to populate their owns or whatever they have. (I get the impression from what they sell it is mainly Leo City.) TLG must have a reasonable idea of what figures are going to be more popular so could just produce more of them to keep the level of sales p I'd imagine?

And put it [the MOC] on the internet to show 500 people [or more] that you will never meet in your life what a great creation you made? Lego is meant to be played with.

Mrlegoninja, if this is your attitude, don't you think you're on the wrong forum?

This is not a topic about army building per se; in any case, just because you don't agree with what some people do, it doesn't give you the right to insult them. We'll have no more of that please.

Ok lets say there are 3 stores in a town that get 10 boxes of a series each. An army builder goes into each store soon as the get the minifigures in and from each store they feel through all the packets taking 30 Romans/elves/Spatarns/ whatever. They have done that for 3 stores so they have 90 whatever but each store now has none of a particular minifigure so whoever goes to thos stores and want the same minifigure now have no chance. I know OT is an over exaggerated worst case sceneroio but it could still happen in 1 store

Ok lets say there are 3 stores in a town that get 10 boxes of a series each. An army builder goes into each store soon as the get the minifigures in and from each store they feel through all the packets taking 30 Romans/elves/Spatarns/ whatever. They have done that for 3 stores so they have 90 whatever but each store now has none of a particular minifigure so whoever goes to thos stores and want the same minifigure now have no chance. I know OT is an over exaggerated worst case sceneroio but it could still happen in 1 store

I think there are a couple of AFOL's in my city, since everywhere, the figures I want are most of the time taken. Combine that with my impatience, making it not very fun to feel the packets, I am now just buying the figures I want off bricklink, which is most of the time also cheaper because I don't accidentally get figures I do not want :classic:

I've used the feel method for all the series except the 1st (bought complete set online).

I must say I am much faster for Series 7 then previous. My wife and I felt our way through a complete set halfway through a new box - maybe 20-25 minutes total. We were impressed and had a good laugh about it. Also I have never gotten one wrong using this method so I "feel" it's the way to go! :grin:

Edited by legomaniac83

I wish I was better at it and/or ran into cases that hadn't been stripped clean sooner, I really just want 1 set of each series but can't blame people who are trying to buy whatever quantity of each they want. Shortages are much less dependent on packet feeling than the fact that less popular figures appear in larger quantities in the cases, something that none of us control.

I still need parts of series 4 and 5 and all of series 6. :sceptic:

I'm sorry, but army building is just wrong, and something that bored, socially impaired adults do.

Like trolling on the internet? :wink:

I bet every army builder is afraid to play with their figures (I define playing as constant moving and toying with the figure every day for fun) with the risk that they might break a piece. Also, army building deprives what Lego should be used for: playing.

I did THAT kind of playing when I was 11.

Say, 12, but no more than that.

It really amazes me that an adult person can play the way you define playing.

It feels a bit odd.

But while I don't complain when you define playing in your own way, totally different from mine, it seems you do.

I am a proud army builder, and I run through the shops to secure my lego minifigures before the others do.

Then I often just don't do nothing better than placing all the minifigures in a box, waiting for the right MOC to place them in. And FYI I show the MOCs not only on the internet to hundreds people I will never meet (which is NOT wrong as you can picture, but going on...) since I am a LUG member, we assemble VERY HUGE mocs (hundreds of baseplates) and we do events every year, in which kids can play (this time, the way YOU meant) with free Lego given by the LUG and WATCH without touching the big MOCs as they are meant to be just an inspiration.

So next time before ranting, maybe just imagine some other scenario in which things are simply different.

Obviously the lesson here for those disappointed kids is to suck it up. Better they learn the harsh lessons of life when they're 8 than later. There's ruthless people out there. Eat or be eaten. It's the law of the free market. It's not my fault you couldn't drive to Walmart before I could. This is a game, I'm the winner, you're the loser. Learn to use Bricklink you noobs. Blame TLG.

I just completed CMF series 6 the other day, the first Lego products that I have purchased in a long long time. It took some doing to find the sleepy guy and robot as those seem to be the looter's choice. It took a few store hops and re-stocks over a month to find them but I did. I saw many opened CMF6 and CMF7 packets...

I know we're talking about toys here, but the reason we have laws is because some people are just inconsiderate jerks and don't care how their behaviour affects others. All it takes is one person to ruin it for everyone else. "Collecting" over 100 of the same figure just seems so extreme and out of bounds. Assuming two boxes per store that would clear every single Walmart within 50 miles of me, leaving none for anyone else. (I am not suggesting we write laws to regulate this behaviour so don't even go there!)

Now it didn't bother me that others got there before I did but what ever happened to the Golden Rule?

OH FIRST POST

Edited by LegoInHand

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Recently in the series 7 topic there has been a bit of talking on the fingering of collectible minifigure packets. This is done to complete someones collection or build an army

I think it is wrong for 2 reasons

*It stops kids getting the favourite minifigure

*Would you finger an apple or other products before you by them

I don't understand this logic. It would only stop another kid from completing his collection if that kid was ALSO feeling the packets. Otherwise, he would have a 1/16th chance like everyone else (in theory).

Also, I don't put minifigures in my mouth. It's a little different.

Personally I see nothing wrong with feeling the packets, and since I'm sure that different people will be seeking out different figs, I don't think anybody loses.

This is a bizarre comment to make on a forum tailored specifically to adult LEGO fans. While I don't find it hard to believe that a number of AFOLs may be socially impaired to some degree, I don't see what army building would have to do with it. I'm in my twenties and I love LEGO as much now as I did as a kid, and guess what? I party with my chums, go on dates with attractive women, maintain a stable job and achieve excellent grades in school. I don't think I'm an exception to the rule - there really isn't much of a correlation between the kind of hobbies you have and your social ability. The real kicker is in how you TREAT your hobbies. If LEGO is your life, then you might want to re-prioritize a little. If LEGO is something you enjoy collecting with your spare cash, then good for you! It's better to blow it on something creative than a night at the bar (which can be just as expensive, believe me).

Sorry for the rant, but that comment just seems insipid to me.

Edited by Algernon

Now it didn't bother me that others got there before I did but what ever happened to the Golden Rule?

The "Golden Rule" essentially being "Treat others the way in which you would like to be treated," I presume? Well, I don't want people to leave me something if they get to it first while still possessing the means and desire to purchase it just to feel like they're not being "greedy." Ergo, I will do the same. :wink: