285 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to feel the packets?

• Yes
    • Yes but not for army building
    • No
  2. 2. Is opening the packets too far?

• Yes
    • No

"Feeling" the packet is the only way out for me. But, I have to be very patient and start feeling the packets as they are arranged, or else I'm going to frustrate, get stressed and end up with just a few I wanted (Most of the time I have like an hour only)

As for the characters, here in Mexico people like LEGO, but they don't go for a specific character, they just buy the package wondering what they will get... so good for me :blush:

Yes I think it is OK to feel the packets but not for army building. However opening the packets is going to far. It is like opening a packet of pasta to see what type it is, then when you find its not the type you wanted you put it back on the shelf! The only time I was not able to find the figure I wanted was with the elf. I spent an hour standing there and I went through three boxes and found no elf! That was annoying and I think that if you want to build an army go shop on bricklink! At least thats what I would do.

I said yes, but not for army builders. I know with S2 I never found a Spartan and Pharaoh. I could imagine a kid would feel pretty bad going home with a handful of these and hoping on the car ride that he got "XX", only to not get one. Sure, it could simply be chance that he didn't, but it could also be because of the army builders of the world. Does nobody here remember buying trading cards, opening them up and getting excited seeing that suer rare 'foil' card...Did none of you buy Trash Bag Bunch...hell...quarter machines at a grocery store... It's just fun for kids to buy mystery bags and hoping they get the cool stuff.

I said yes, but not for army builders. I know with S2 I never found a Spartan and Pharaoh. I could imagine a kid would feel pretty bad going home with a handful of these and hoping on the car ride that he got "XX", only to not get one. Sure, it could simply be chance that he didn't, but it could also be because of the army builders of the world. Does nobody here remember buying trading cards, opening them up and getting excited seeing that suer rare 'foil' card...Did none of you buy Trash Bag Bunch...hell...quarter machines at a grocery store... It's just fun for kids to buy mystery bags and hoping they get the cool stuff.

It's really weird that pharaohs would be missing. As far as army builder targets, i think of spartans, elves, gladiators, roman soliders, baseball players, etc.

I see this in no way hurting anybody. In fact in one of the Lego stores, one of the employees was helping me find the ones I needed. I do however, find it wrong to take for example, 10 roman warriors as they are then all gone from a particular box. On the other hand, what is the point of wasting hard-earned money on mini-figures that nobody particularly wants. In many shops, if you ask to feel the packets, they will let you and give you a box to feel through. This helps as you can also see all the mini-figures on the box. I do also find it wrong to physically open the packets as it utterly ruins the point of the mystery. I have found many an open packet on the shelves. This was just my opinion and many people will disagree. TT

There is nothing wrong with feeling packets. The blind packaging is a great marketing ploy because people will buy multiples of figures either thinking they have the one they want or just random purchasing. You at least have the opportunity to "feel" the package to an extent to know what that particular figure is. Lego is still selling multiple figures by people feeling or not feeling, so it should not matter to them any. If they didn't want people to feel, they wouldn't be in a pliable poly bag and instead would be in mini-boxes. Oh boy, did I just give them an idea? In this world, you either buy randomly, feel the package and get what you want, or you buy on bricklink/ebay for the figure you want from someone else that marked up the price. It seems like a no-brainer to me. Feeling is not a problem, it is the people that are cutting open the bags and leaving the figures they don't want loose in the store for someone to steal or just simply damaging a product in the store.

For the people saying it isn't fair to little kids, I can understand that viewpoint since it is a "child's" toy, but like Barbie, Lego expects adult fans to remain fans of the toy for the future either for themselves or their children. So an adult buying multiple figures for their collection vs a child only wanting a certain figure isn't much different than children that want to army build vs adults who only want one certain figure. It's a product that consumers want and will purchase no matter the age.

So I say feel away. And be nice about it, help others if they need it.

I completely agree.

I also know that if I didn't feel the packets I end up with a load of multiple figs that I didn't want. Potentially a kid may have wanted one of those unwanted figs if they were left in box.

Although I don't agree with army builders per se I must admit I do enjoy the hunt

Anyone ever been feeling for figs at the same time as someone else, for the SAME fig? :hmpf: If there was just 1 of the figure that you and a kid was looking for. Would you take it? Or give it to them?

Edited by TeardropTrashcan

I have two children, and I am an AFOL.

I feel the packets to ensure getting two of each (one for each child) minimum.

Personally am more of an army builder - and have no problem with collecting multiples of specific minifigs (18 elves, 7 dwarves, 7 romans, 7 spartans, 13 evil warriors, 7 forestmen etc). It's a game of patience.

It appears there are numerous bags from past series available near where are.

I have helped a number of kids in their search for a specific minifig - community service ?

comparing feeling a minifig packet to an apple is not relevant (though I feel fruit and veg when I buy as I want to get the best quality - I then wash before eating, or boil / steam as appropriate). Minifig packets aren't the same as apples.

Feeling packets is NOT cheating, or dishonest, or anything else negative. If anything, aged 38, it is verging on pathetic (standing in WHSmith for an entire lunch-hour ...), but since it's not just for myself, I can live with that ! I have as 98% success rate with feeling, and frequently end up feeling for others.

Anyone ever been feeling for figs at the same time as someone else, for the SAME fig? :hmpf: If there was just 1 of the figure that you and a kid was looking for. Would you take it? Or give it to them?

Yep I have and they have always found it before me. If a kid was genuinely looking for the same fig as me then I would let them have it.

I may regret telling this story - A friend and their kid came coincidentally into a shop that I was searching for my last minifig of series 6 (it was a gladiator and me and my boyfriend had searched nearly two entire boxes that day without finding one) Anyway the kid wanted to know what I was doing so I told him. He wasn't interested before but as soon as he found out I wanted the gladiator he then wanted one too. After a while I then found one (there was probably only three unsearched packets left in the shop). No joke, he then snatched it off me and got his dad to buy it for him. In the end I had to search through a load more figs to find one that he wanted more to swap with me. He did in the end but it seemed like a hollow victory. I've been collecting since series one and it was really fun until this happened. I feel like a bit of a bad person :sad:

Yes, I feel. I usually try to get one full set, and one extra of my favorite figure(s). I'll also feel if a little kid wants a specific one or wants to finish their collection. Opening the bag, to me, is too far. The person who opens it can't buy it(they ruined it), and it can't be put back on the shelves in good conscience.

Ah! I enjoy this topic. I'm sorry but i'll try to be honest.

I'm one of the terrible & hated minifigs hunter. I use the feeling method to find and buy 102 romans! The same for the other minifigs: zombie, elf or spartan. For me the best thing in this hunt...is the hunt itself! I'm not a reseller, i collect all the minis I buy. Sometimes after my perfect work another customer cannot find a particular minifigs. Well it is normal, in this game the winner is the first, Smart and full-of-money man.

I'm not Consider myself a bad man for this. Sometimes I helped kids to find what they want (NOT for the spartans sorry) :-) but in every game there is loser... And LEGO and collecting lego (and feeling the packets) is a game!

Nausicaa

(i really hate barcode or dots, you can enjoy the hunting only with the feeling method!)

I think that feeling the bags is okay.

Opening the packets to find the figure you want is definitely wrong, unless the store allows such things.

Obviously some figures have more distinctive parts and are easier to find than others.

It is another lego skill to find what is in each bag. :laugh:

(i really hate barcode or dots, you can enjoy the hunting only with the feeling method!)

I'm sorry friend, but I have to disagree. I love the hunt with dot codes!

I use the feeling method to find and buy 102 romans!

102 Romans! That's a lot of boxes! I hit the stores when S6 came into town and got 47 Romans. I did feel a little guilt but lego's not that big in Dubai.

As a first time fingerer :wink::laugh: from today, I quite liked trying to find the Graduate which I've wanted for AGES for inspiration (and was successful for anyone who is interested :thumbup: ) :laugh:

However I wouldn't stand all day doing it, then again I don't like admitting I'm buying them- I often buy them off amazon but then again, ive only ordered 2 lots one of 2series 3 and one of 3 series and both times I've gotten doubles!!

That is annoying- but I am going to buy the fitness instructor on amazon for £3- it saves all the hassle :laugh:

I'm one of the terrible & hated minifigs hunter. I use the feeling method to find and buy 102 romans! The same for the other minifigs: zombie, elf or spartan. For me the best thing in this hunt...is the hunt itself! I'm not a reseller, i collect all the minis I buy. Sometimes after my perfect work another customer cannot find a particular minifigs. Well it is normal, in this game the winner is the first, Smart and full-of-money man.

I'm not Consider myself a bad man for this. Sometimes I helped kids to find what they want (NOT for the spartans sorry) :-) but in every game there is loser... And LEGO and collecting lego (and feeling the packets) is a game!

Nausicaa

You won't get any grief from me. All's fair in love and Lego CMF's. :tongue::laugh: I suppose with the early series it was harder to find what you are looking for, but I honestly feel from Series 3 on it has not been a problem as there seemed to be plenty out there for people to find and buy. My own vice is/was the Grey Alien from Series 6. I'm going to stop at 20 though, not 100. I'm up to around 12 or 13 at the moment.

102 Romans! That's a lot of boxes! I hit the stores when S6 came into town and got 47 Romans. I did feel a little guilt but lego's not that big in Dubai.

I visited 10 Little toy-shop in Milan and after 3 big toy'ur us. It was a really hard challenge. I think my wife hate me! :-)

Nausi

And so this debate shall continue as long as we play this game but perhaps we should question the cause, not the consequences.

you sir, are a god among men.

Nausicaa

I really like this view on the subject, the thrill of the hunt. :laugh:

To the seven who answered "No" to opening the packets is going too far? I'd like to hear why you think it's ok.

Both sides of the argument make excellent points. I manged to get an Elf because I know a newsagents/ toyshop that normally has minifigures from a few months ago that it keeps upstairs. Opening packets is way to far if you just leave the empty packet there, it is damaging the product, costing the shop money.

Opening packets is way to far if you just leave the empty packet there, it is damaging the product, costing the shop money.

Well... That would be stealing! :wink:

I thought the option meant: Opening to check, if the desired minifig is in the package and putting it back if not.

Well... That would be stealing! :wink:

I thought the option meant: Opening to check, if the desired minifig is in the package and putting it back if not.

That is still bad. If you open it to check then put it back the product is damaged.

To the seven who answered "No" to opening the packets is going too far? I'd like to hear why you think it's ok.

This is the internet and people feel free to say ridiculous things anonymously. If there was a question asking if it was going to far to hold up the store at gunpoint and steal all the minifigures, a few people would have still said no.

That is still bad. If you open it to check then put it back the product is damaged.

Of course! I even feel bad when feeling for the minifigs! (Only had the chance once recently for series 4 packs.) :wink:

But (as I've read in this thread) it seems to be allowed in some stores to open the packs to find the ones you're searching for.

Edited by Cerator

I think feeling packets is fine, but opening is crossing the line. The other day I found 4-5 series 7 packs open -- it's unlikely that they will sell now. People should be happy that they are not put in a box like KidRobot vinyl figures (simpsons, dunnys, etc)-- now those are hard to figure out what you are getting.

Edited by BB.206