Sign in to follow this  
Zilcho

A Match for the Imperial Flagship?

The original Imperial Flagship packs a lot of powder in a small package. It has a tremendous amount of sail for such a small ship and as such is much more manuverable. It may have half as many cannon as the new Imperial Flagship but its also a quarter the size. When you take into account the fact that it is actually a steerable vessel, all bets are off. The original Imperial Flagship wins, hands down. I have both ships, and thats my assessment of them.

The smaller ships may have just 1 cannon, but can easily out manouvre a ship that size. Even in speed they can be faster if you modify it slightly to carry more sail. Stick behind the Imperial Flagship and just shoot up the back side, it's never going to turn that fast and kill the tiny ship thats attacking :pir-devil:

How many hull plates does the QAR have?

three and it's a complete hull with front and back hull piece, unlike the black pearl :pirate_sad2:

Small ships might be suitable indeed, not only the orinal imperial flagship (which is the only small ship that has two cannons)

but also the renegade runner makes a good stand, it looks fast either way.

I remember the original imperial flagship had a name, in Dutch lego folders it was called "de zeeleeuw", literally translated the "Sea lion"

anyone else remember something like that ?

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

@Sebeus Iniwum

Think you mean Set: 6274 "Caribbean Clipper" (Year: 1989) OR Set: 6271, "Imperial Flagship" (Year: 1992). Both are good candidates to suit the role, althought i fear both are already a little to big to manouvre quickly enough. Both can use 2 cannons on the same side of the ship though, which is a good thing. But using the tactic I said would be very hard to do.

@Runamuck

Actually the ship in set 6277 is unnamed as well, yet big enough to have it's own name. oddly enough it's the only trade vessel ever made, both for Pirate themes as Castle themes. The flagship was supposed to get a name for the LEGO MMO, but they scrapped the idea so far I know. So there must be still a name around :pir-tongue:

@Sebeus Iniwum

Think you mean Set: 6274 "Caribbean Clipper" (Year: 1989) OR Set: 6271, "Imperial Flagship" (Year: 1992). Both are good candidates to suit the role, althought i fear both are already a little to big to manouvre quickly enough. Both can use 2 cannons on the same side of the ship though, which is a good thing. But using the tactic I said would be very hard to do.

@Runamuck

Actually the ship in set 6277 is unnamed as well, yet big enough to have it's own name. oddly enough it's the only trade vessel ever made, both for Pirate themes as Castle themes. The flagship was supposed to get a name for the LEGO MMO, but they scrapped the idea so far I know. So there must be still a name around :pir-tongue:

I didn't mean the Caribbean Clipper, I consider that one a big ship because it has wide hulls.

the Renegade runner and original imperial flagship (confirmed "Sea Lion" :pir-classic: ) have a great sailplan for their size,

the runner is a gaff rigged sloop and the "Sea lion" is a square rigged sloop, both are pretty good to quickly maneuvre around.

The cross bone clipper is rather worthless in a battle IMO.

I don't know yet about the Armada Flagship, not very familiar with its sailplan, might work or might not work at all :pir_laugh2:

The Caribbean Clipper is a really odd looking ship. Its short and wide, and not very well designed. For its size, it doesnt have that much sail. It would probably be the weakest ship of the Lego line without undergoing extensive modifications, the most extensive of shich would be increasing the length by 16 studs and adding an additional mast or two.

The Caribbean Clipper is a really odd looking ship. Its short and wide, and not very well designed. For its size, it doesnt have that much sail. It would probably be the weakest ship of the Lego line without undergoing extensive modifications, the most extensive of shich would be increasing the length by 16 studs and adding an additional mast or two.

All small ships were pretty weak designed for their size, but i guess those ships were budget class ships :pir_laugh2:

I think only the Skull's Eye Schooner and a fully armed Queen Ann's Revenge with their four cannon broadsides would possibly have a chance. The flagships superior decking however gives it a huge advantage. I can't make a realistic case for any of the others. As a child I was always dismayed by the fact that the pirates got all the big ships and the soldiers had to settle for the smaller ones when historically the reverse was true. It was to my personal delight when in 2010 the soldiers finally got the biggest, baddest ship of them all!

in my childhood I didn't own a single big ship at all, just a tiny pirate one. But often made it longer and having more cannons, sail, 3 masts and it posed directly as pirate base since i didnt have the lego otherwise to give them something to fight against. redcoats, bluecoats, armada and knights were needed to even match the number of pirates I owned back then. :pir-tongue: Now there are enough redcoats but still no base or ship for them :pir-sceptic:

Hmmm. It occurs to me that since the IFS and the QAR and FD (if ever produced) aren't actually from the same theme, meaning the IFS is from a normal pirate line and the others are from PoTC a pirate line with magic/supernatural powers, couldn't you just as easily say that when the crew of the FD teleported over to the IFS that the crew of the IFS time traveled and came back in the Imperial Star Destroyer?pir_wacko.gif

:roflmao:

The Armada Flagship. :pir-devil: Okay, sure it only has one cannon but that cannon has a rather large firing arc on either side. Small, fast, agile, and an actual so obviously superior firing arc sounds like a winner to me. Of course in retaliation the Imperial Flagship would only need one lucky broadside to land... :pir-sad:

True but what one hit and we all know where this is heading.....:snicker:

I would say the Black Pearl as it is the fastest ship in the sea. :shark:

Well, there's no real ship as can match the Interceptor Flagship. :pir_laugh2:

Honestly I think this is just going in circles, you can debate all you want but unless by fluke realistically no ship with half the guns and no top deck is going to beat another. Closest is SES, but my bet's still on the flagship.

Edited by Skipper

Well, there's no real ship as can match the Interceptor Flagship. :pir_laugh2:

I am shocked it took 3 pages until someone brought that quote into play. :pir-laugh:

I am no ship expert, but I don't think the Imperial Flagship is built for speed. The Flagship is my only "Pirate" line ship, and its a massive ship. SUre its got three masts for sails, but it dwarfs any previous Lego ship. Drawing from an older ship, I think the Viking longboat with its fireball turret and excellent speed is a good matchup. If you were to match prices to make the battle more even, you could afford 3 Viking Longboats at $50 each compared to just the $180 Imperial Flagship.

I am no ship expert, but I don't think the Imperial Flagship is built for speed. The Flagship is my only "Pirate" line ship, and its a massive ship. SUre its got three masts for sails, but it dwarfs any previous Lego ship. Drawing from an older ship, I think the Viking longboat with its fireball turret and excellent speed is a good matchup. If you were to match prices to make the battle more even, you could afford 3 Viking Longboats at $50 each compared to just the $180 Imperial Flagship.

Interesting idea, making a matchup with the same budget, so you can as well get a combination of other ships, like three old imperial flagships against one new IFS.

I don't think the IFS stands a chance against multiple ships :pir-classic:

Or we could take all pirate sets into account and decide who would win. There just arent enough imperial/armada sets to compete against the pirates.

I have bought the Imperial Flagship and at Xmas I've received also the QAR. I really think that the QAR can be a good rival for the IF. It has 4 cannons positions on each side (even if the ship itself comes with only 3 cannons and it is faster and versatile thanks to the back sail.

I'll post some pics of my new pirates layout in a few days hoping that it will help in judging.

The flagship's most powerful foe would be the Queen Anne's Revenge (give it another cannon), as Blackbeard's sword can control inanimate things i.e rope and rigging, and his zombies will fight to the bitter end...and past it!

The imperial flagship is the finest ship Lego has ever made, no other ship compares to it. The queen Anne's revenge or the black pearl would be second best.

The Pearl would be slaughtered with many slaughters, IMO. Ships I think would be unfairly disadvantaged against the Flagship would be the Pearl, the Bounty, and the Runner. I have to go with Skull's Eye Schooner. Still, if a tricky buccaneer managed to "privateer" another Flagship... :shark: Now, that would be interesting...

The flagship's most powerful foe would be the Queen Anne's Revenge (give it another cannon), as Blackbeard's sword can control inanimate things i.e rope and rigging, and his zombies will fight to the bitter end...and past it!

Magic doesn't count in this hypothetical bout, or, at least, I think that's what they said earlier. I still think the flamethrower should be counted, though. That could flambe the Flagship from any angle as long as the Anne is facing it. Of course, that would mean the Flagship is close enough, since the flamethrower is short range. Blackbeard and his freebooters could pretend to surrender to bring the suckered Redcoats closer...

Edited by Napoleon53

1; It's called Greek Fire

2; it's range is only just inside bow cannon range, and the flagship, if i'm correct, has no bow cannons, so the QAR may as well approach from the front, give no quarter and roast the flagship and its crew like steak on a barbecue.

6245-1.jpg

:pir-grin:

Seriously I would say the Black Pearl as it is the fastest ship in the sea. :shark:

:pir-grin:

If you used this boat, can I use this to sink the IFS?

3817-1.jpg

now, get serius :pir-sad2:

forget all the magical chit chatting of vodoo and zombies and disney animatronics... facts:

In Lego, there are three kind of ships:

- Greats: Black Seas Barracuda, Brickbeard's Bounty, Skull's Eye Schooner, Red beard Runner, the black pearl and Queen Anne's Revange

you will need at least two of this to fight the IFS, acording the number of cannons, sails and size

- middles: Carribean Clipper, imperial flagship and armada flagship

you will need at least three of this (of only have armadas, you need four to do something)

* one great an two middle could bring battle

- shorts: Renegade runner and crossbone clipper

ou will need a lot of courage, stomach, balls, and suicidal instincts to try something. :pir-grin:

according size, sails and cannons, you need mor than five... if you have more than five "shorts" ships, sent it to the dock, and then make one bigger