Stimulus poll questions  

67 members have voted

1. 1. History Super Guilds

• Yes, I like the rough collection of like themes
    • No, keep it to many individual guilds
  2. 2. Frequency of builds

• One guild at a time
    • Multiple guilds and free to build in all

But Pirates has it's own forum, and if by 'British, French, and Spanish' you mean Redcoats, Bluecoats, and Armada, they're also categorized under Pirates. There's really no reason to draw those factions/themes into this.

Well, I made flags for the Brittish, Spanish, French and real Pirate flags, all with cloth. So Actually I do mean just as I said :tongue: But yes, the basics as you said redcoats, bluecoats and armada.

For the comment about not needing to drag those factions in, well I just commented to the topic. So no need to get upset about it. I was just getting at that I preffer huge factions instead of smaller ones. Besides that, I do not have the real LEGO amount to do anything else then drag these factions in on the action. Which I also mentioned years ago several times :tongue:

So yeah, my answer is in fact not that misplaced :wink: I agree on this not being a pirate theme forum, but again, I was trying to get at the mega factions :laugh:

For the comment about not needing to drag those factions in, well I just commented to the topic. So no need to get upset about it. I was just getting at that I preffer huge factions instead of smaller ones. Besides that, I do not have the real LEGO amount to do anything else then drag these factions in on the action. Which I also mentioned years ago several times :tongue:

So yeah, my answer is in fact not that misplaced :wink: I agree on this not being a pirate theme forum, but again, I was trying to get at the mega factions :laugh:

No one's getting upset and I never said your answer was misplaced. I'm simply saying that the factions you mentioned don't really fit in with this forum the same way Star Wars has its own forum instead of being integrated into Sci-Fi.

Careful SI Mocs, I may make you Mod of all tallies :devil:

I know but what I am asking is why, why would I go to a different part of the forum and shift through the work there to find stop motion movies, or set reviews on youtube about castle sets, when we could have them here on this the historic page.

I know what I am asking might be impossible but i never really search for cool lego movies on this site, i use youtube most of the time and I think thats a shame, its a missed opertunity.

I know it probably won't change but I thought I would ask :classic:

Cheers

Nothing stopping you making a topic in this forum highlighting the stop motion history stuff, you could simply edit new ones in to the first post :thumbup:

SNIP

Just a thought.

Whoa, thats a long thought. I do ramble on :classic:

DC

An impressive project that may be diluted by other members contributions dude, but I look forward to it.

At this stage I think we will look to start out with a Castle guild set up and branch into other themes from time to time to 'flex our muscles' somewhat.

Sound good people?

Nothing stopping you making a topic in this forum highlighting the stop motion history stuff, you could simply edit new ones in to the first post :thumbup:

An impressive project that may be diluted by other members contributions dude, but I look forward to it.

At this stage I think we will look to start out with a Castle guild set up and branch into other themes from time to time to 'flex our muscles' somewhat.

Sound good people?

Sounds Good, I Scream Clone, now to get myself one of those shiny tags......

If that is what doth Lord moderator asks of me, then I shall obey.

But gravest of warnings.... as an Engineer - I have horrible simple math skills. :blush:

Sound good people?

... how do we go about moving forward with this project? More polls perhaps to see how many people would be interested? Once we have an idea of the size of the participants pool it may make more sense in what direction to go. :sweet:

We seem to be moving to a consensus - or at least towards a fuzzy idea of the final picture...

Perhaps it is time to do a proof of concept? or a dry run?

Given that it's CCC season - and I'm assuming a few of us are planning on partaking - why not create CCC guilds?

Points can be allocated based on final finishing positions - perhaps as simple as 4-3-2-1 for 1st/2nd/3rd/honourable mentions.

This also may serve as a positive peer pressure for people to enter and build better - how many times have we heard "well I had this idea" or "I started this and that but..." perhaps if we people were in the guild it may push people SLIGHTLY more to get a better entry or finish on time.

Not to mention if we set up some sort of WIP sharing pool between the guilds - it might also reinforce guild comradely and some in-guild egging on to boast up builder's spirits when the build (as always) isn't going well.

This will also give us roughly 2 months to nail down the final details via polls and such so that we can kick off in new year?

Well, the guild idea seems to be the most popular, and its a good one. We shouldn't try and make things to complicated to start with. So I think we should have 4 Guilds, but each guild should be able to build with any faction they want except if there is a special event/competition that deems otherwise. This way people are still free to build whatever they want rather than wait for a 'faction change'. Plus if we had guilds based on factions then I fear we might see too many people choose to be in certain guilds because they prefer that faction/building style. Then there should be a point system for when someone posts a moc and those points will go towards their guild. Then at the end of the year, the points can be added up to see which guild won and they will then receive some sort of awards. Its also handy as we are right at the end of a year, so this idea can be set in motion with the new year. It might also be wise to have a guild team leader who can be in charge of recording the points for their guild which will take a bit of pressure off the mods. My main concern is that we should start off with a simple concept first, to get everyone used to things, then start adding in some more ideas gradually. So really we need to get the ball rolling, and we need someone to choose the guild names and start a thread where every one can list what guild they will join.

Although I agree with you that themes like Ninja, Wild West and Vikings don't get enough love these days, the Guild System is, in my view, an incentive to boost castle building. I think we should stick to strictly castle factions, and later on do a big event for other, less-represented historic themes.

As far as Camelot, that is quite an undertaking, I can't wait to see the min-blowing epic proportions of this build! :wub: I also think the Lego map and the Guild System is flexible enough to encompass any fantasy adventures be they with wizards, dragons or knights, so that would fit right in without a problem. (It'll be the jewel of the map) :wink:

It seems like a solid idea to include a magic faction, so my thought is; how do we go about moving forward with this project? More polls perhaps to see how many people would be interested? Once we have an idea of the size of the participants pool it may make more sense in what direction to go. :sweet:

Yeah, they don't get much love, and to be honest I don't think we will ever see them coming close to the Castle theme in terms of mocs posted. Thats will I thought It could be handy to have a history section where all those mocs are posted. Basically a bit like the pirate forum but have a page for castle and one for history which can be for any era.

As for the Arthur thing, I thought long and hard about weather to build a realistic Arthurian world, or the fantasy/legend one. From a building perspective, the fantasy/legend version is the most fun to build and most familiar. Plus if I was to go with the historic version, that would mean no Camelot, no round table, no Merlin, Lancelot, Galahad, Knights etc. So yes, fantasy/legend version it is! Like you said, this means it can fit nicely into the fantasy section.

Thanks

DC

Well, the guild idea seems to be the most popular, and its a good one. We shouldn't try and make things to complicated to start with. So I think we should have 4 Guilds, but each guild should be able to build with any faction they want except if there is a special event/competition that deems otherwise. This way people are still free to build whatever they want rather than wait for a 'faction change'. Plus if we had guilds based on factions then I fear we might see too many people choose to be in certain guilds because they prefer that faction/building style. Then there should be a point system for when someone posts a moc and those points will go towards their guild. Then at the end of the year, the points can be added up to see which guild won and they will then receive some sort of awards. Its also handy as we are right at the end of a year, so this idea can be set in motion with the new year. It might also be wise to have a guild team leader who can be in charge of recording the points for their guild which will take a bit of pressure off the mods. My main concern is that we should start off with a simple concept first, to get everyone used to things, then start adding in some more ideas gradually. So really we need to get the ball rolling, and we need someone to choose the guild names and start a thread where every one can list what guild they will join.

Derfel said a lot that I was planning to say, kudos. I think "artificial" guilds (i.e. not faction- or theme-oriented) would be easier for novice builders like me to join, because you could do whatever you'd like to do anyway and could still contribute your own small part to your guild's success. I for example am building my own humble medieval village and don't have (not yet at least) neither bricks nor room nor courage to take part in any building competitions or such that wouldn't have a meaning for my aforementioned village project.

Derfel said a lot that I was planning to say, kudos. I think "artificial" guilds (i.e. not faction- or theme-oriented) would be easier for novice builders like me to join, because you could do whatever you'd like to do anyway and could still contribute your own small part to your guild's success. I for example am building my own humble medieval village and don't have (not yet at least) neither bricks nor room nor courage to take part in any building competitions or such that wouldn't have a meaning for my aforementioned village project.

I agree with you Haltiamieli. I've returned from my "dark-age" this year, so I only have Lions and Dragons (from kingdoms theme) so I'd be useless if the theme of a competition were Falcons. :cry_sad:

Guild name idea brainstorming:

Fire - Earth - Wind - Water . . . and heart, by your powers - oh nevermind

Courage - Wisdom - Power - Balance

North - South - East - West

Empire - Monarchy - Republic - Tribe - Technocracy

War - Peace - Freedom - Power

Red - Blue - Yellow - White (LEGO's origin colors)

Hare - Fox - Crow - Toad (using existing factions might be too close to picking an affinity)

Craftsmen - Artisan - Trader - Sheriff or Goods - Skills - Money - Law

Shogun - Baron - Chief - Sheriff

Ruby - Emerald - Topaz - Amethyst - and so on, any four will do except maybe diamond as they generally as viewed as superior

Pawn - Peasant - Peon - Proletarius

and I am finished. I tried to come up with terms that could be viewed as equals within each set but each as unique concepts.

How about simply nominating four people to be guild masters and let them name their guilds? All other interested participants could then enter their names for a guild draft where the four masters draft prospective guild members for a predetermined time period (say 6 months to one year). Prospective draftees would then prepare an outline of their skills/interests to ensure that the guild masters build a set of diverse guilds with a wide range of different roles.

Contests, events, reviews and build challenges could focus on the guilds competing for points with one of the guilds being crowned champion at the end of the term. A new draft would follow shortly thereafter and the process would repeat. If things work out well it might be worth looking into developing specialized guilds during the second term.

I would also keep the contests separate from the guilds. It wouldn't be fair if only guild builders could enter contests. Award guilds points if they do win a contest, and just award no points at all if someone who isn't part of a guild wins.

I would also keep the contests separate from the guilds. It wouldn't be fair if only guild builders could enter contests. Award guilds points if they do win a contest, and just award no points at all if someone who isn't part of a guild wins.

I don't think the introduction of guilds would preclude anybody from joining a contest or writing a review. It's simply a way to encourage participation. A number of people (myself included) find motivation when working in a group effort. Building for a guild means that your efforts will help your fellow members which is a pretty big incentive to become more involved. There's nothing to suggest that an individual couldn't enter a contest without joining a guild first.

I don't think the introduction of guilds would preclude anybody from joining a contest or writing a review. It's simply a way to encourage participation. A number of people (myself included) find motivation when working in a group effort. Building for a guild means that your efforts will help your fellow members which is a pretty big incentive to become more involved. There's nothing to suggest that an individual couldn't enter a contest without joining a guild first.

Are we allowing people to join guilds whenever they want? I was under the impression that since ISC said that "Teams will be organised after signups are complete", that people had to be selected to participate in a guild.

I have been collecting to make castle dioramas in the future. I will be contributing in the moc department for sure.

I also have proof to end the debate about who the Dragon Knights King is. This is a photo a friend sent me a while back when he was in TRU. It came from a LEGO childrens book.

imagejpeg_2_22.jpg

I'll take the tag to go with this picture!

Are we allowing people to join guilds whenever they want? I was under the impression that since ISC said that "Teams will be organised after signups are complete", that people had to be selected to participate in a guild.

I don't think it's been officially stated whether sign-ups are a one time thing, or even if guild membership is permanent or term based. I'm sure that everything will be ironed out over the coming weeks.

I don't think it's been officially stated whether sign-ups are a one time thing, or even if guild membership is permanent or term based. I'm sure that everything will be ironed out over the coming weeks.

Ah, I see. That's what I get for jumping to conclusions. :blush:

Is there any MOCing level to join a guild or sign up???

Is there any MOCing level to join a guild or sign up???

I'm pretty sure all is welcome - so if you're interested or want to be a guild cheerleader on the sidelines - sign up! :laugh:

Though it's hard to put a finite point on any one part of this scheme Brickdoctor, we need to set a start point with an initial guild sign up. I do not wish to exclude any body along the way, and forsee people stepping in and out from time to time. The sky is the limit, until we run out of atmosphere :classic:

By all means let's keep the ideas flowing. The guildmaster idea is intriguing. We could then ask a handful to step forward for each challenge.

I think one of the first builds for each guild should be a watch tower, any other ideas?

Nice find about the green wizard too Bearbeard.

Though it's hard to put a finite point on any one part of this scheme Brickdoctor, we need to set a start point with an initial guild sign up. I do not wish to exclude any body along the way, and forsee people stepping in and out from time to time. The sky is the limit, until we run out of atmosphere :classic:

By all means let's keep the ideas flowing. The guildmaster idea is intriguing. We could then ask a handful to step forward for each challenge.

I think one of the first builds for each guild should be a watch tower, any other ideas?

Nice find about the green wizard too Bearbeard.

Watch towers sounds good, what about a pair of gates? Would this be done with real bricks or LDD?

Oh, of course, I wouldn't want to exclude anyone either. I just misunderstood the post, sorry. :blush:

Watch towers? My speciality. :sweet:

Great ideas and stimulus throughout this thread!!

I've been keen to build a decayed Kingdoms Dragons fortress overtaken by vegetation for the past 6 months, looking forward to where these guild builds are at in a year or so!!

DrRod

How about a guild headquarters? While a watchtower is certainly a nice idea as well, I think it would be great to have guild members design their base of operation first.

"There must be some kind of way out of here,"

Said the joker to the thief,

"There's too much confusion,

I can't get no relief.

While watch tower would be good ... I kinda like that idea as say a new travellers entering a guilds territory the first thing they may see might be Watch Towers on the borders... It is good analogy on our new endeavour.

Though another first build idea - abet unconventional - is to build a guild crest. Something that can be used to represent the guild for the purposes of this cycle.

Edit -

Perhaps we should put an update on first page recapping some of the discussions? - It was pointed out in the sign up thread that 9 pages is a bit much to go through... apparently someone people prefer to build opposed to parsing through collaborative thought process :laugh:

Something along the lines of:

ISC has decided to start a group project - to build a micro map of the EB Castle world which can be used to plot various projects as they come along - details to follow.

There have been discussions of creating Guilds or Grouping of builders for a (likely) set period of time. There is a sign up thread for those wishing to participate. While it hasn't been defined exactly how the guilds will function - the general idea is that each guild will work together to produce MOCs and stories - these creations in turn generate points for each guild - with the guild with the highest number of points at a future date be awarded bragging rights (and maybe other fun stuff) for being kick megablocks.

It was discussed if each guild should be focused on certain themes or all guilds will cover all themes. The latter seems to be the approach that was best liked.

Challenges will likely be issued where all guilds must mobilize and build some theme - (see Siren's Post for possible themes). The exact mechanics has not really been determined - but people seem to like the idea to shift around the themes a bit to ensure that we pick up not just castle but ensure other historical themes are given their due - Western, Asian, Antiquities etc - This also serves as flexing our building skills.

Everything is still up for debate - so please add to the discussion

Edited by SI-mocs