def

Post your own art

Why I had to take a week off from drawing:

diary_12_28_2012_by_naha_def-d5pitq2.jpg

A funeral:

diary_12_30_2012_by_naha_def-d5qha4j.jpg

New Year's resolutions:

diary_12_31_2012_by_naha_def-d5qhbts.jpg

Since New Years, I've decided to upgrade to colour, since it's free on the Inernet. I'm not spending much time on it, but it's still being thought out.

diary_1_1_2013_colour_by_naha_def-d5qlzo0.jpg

diary_1_3_2013_colour_by_naha_def-d5qlzr5.jpg

diary_01_04_2013_by_naha_def-d5qmcwg.jpg

diary_1_5_13_by_naha_def-d5qqclb.jpg

diary_1_7_2013_by_naha_def-d5qt1m3.jpg

Ach, I finished my current "big piece" before starting the next mafia game. Now I can do it guilt-free that I'm not procrastinating!

backwards_japan_by_naha_def-d5m6rf3.jpg

backwards_japan_2__of_7__by_naha_def-d5m7oxx.jpg

backwards_japan_3__of_5__by_naha_def-d5mfjzc.jpg

backwards_japan_4__of_6__by_naha_def-d5mx5fe.jpg

backwards_japan_5__of_7__by_naha_def-d5nlpig.jpg

backwards_japan_6__of_7__by_naha_def-d5o9wjh.jpg

backwards_japan__7_of_7__by_naha_def-d5qxth1.jpg

Awesome stuff, def! Your latest batch of 4-panes really had me laughing. :laugh: I'd say you're really improving on getting your message across. You've always been good at communicating through art (as far as I've seen since you started this thread), but to me it's becoming clearer and easier to relate with. :thumbup:

Also, that big project you just did was very interesting. Art-wise, the order was a little hard to follow, but who knows, maybe it'd be easier for a Japanese person to read... :grin: It's fascinating what you've noticed during your time in Japan, and I'm glads you could share it in such a form. I definitely agree with you about the societal differences, where the Japanese and possibly other Asian countries are more about the group than the individual. Interesting how that is reflected in subtle things like names and addresses. I haven't ever considered how language affects our thought processes; mostly my thoughts differ than how I speak or write. And I'm thinking that you, the Canadian are the backwards one when it comes to counting off on your hand... :tongue: I count like the Japanese apparently do.

In any case, the comic definitely got me thinking. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot, Jim and Zilcho!

Keeping busy. These are the best and worst I've done of these diary strips. Amazing how close to each other I can make them.

diary_01_10_2013_by_naha_def-d5r3rpq.jpg

diary_01_11_2013_by_naha_def-d5rgnyg.jpg

diary_1_13_2013_by_naha_def-d5rrfa0.jpg

diary_1_15_2013_by_naha_def-d5rv2yh.jpg

diary_1_17_2013_by_naha_def-d5sbstn.jpg

diary_1_21_2013_by_naha_def-d5sjimg.jpg

Here's some LEGO content:

diary_01_22_2013_by_naha_def-d5sjodg.jpg

I've started clay sculpting again (last time was in middle school) but I've never done people before. This is Zelda from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I've never played the game but I like her design in this one. Everything besides the base and lyre strings is Sculpty brand clay, also the last image has the missing gold trim on the hem of her dress. I Hope there's plenty of Zelda fans here!

8381727378_516ff442e2_z.jpg8381727142_5be5d5cae4_z.jpg

8421644815_8d397649b6_z.jpg

Edited by Anticyclone

Hilarious journals, as usual def. :laugh:

And really cool sculpture, Anticyclone! Yes, there are many LoZ fans here, including myself. I haven't played SS yet, but the mixture between Wind Waker's cel-shaded animation and Twilight Princess' realistic art is instantly recognizable.

Hilarious journals, as usual def. :laugh:

And really cool sculpture, Anticyclone! Yes, there are many LoZ fans here, including myself. I haven't played SS yet, but the mixture between Wind Waker's cel-shaded animation and Twilight Princess' realistic art is instantly recognizable.

My twin brother recently began playing Skyward Sword, and the art direction in it is to die for. That sculpture definitely captures its bold colors and fluid character designs.

I have to say, I love the diary comics, Def, really brings back how life was when I lived in Japan. :classic:

I have to say, I love the diary comics, Def, really brings back how life was when I lived in Japan. :classic:

Cheers! I only wish I'd started a decade ago when I was still suffering culture shock! Still, today's Setsubun no hi strip has a strong touch of that.

This week, I was busy doing something stupid:

athletic_turtle_1_of_4_by_naha_def-d5svxcj.jpg

athletic_turtle_2_of_4_by_naha_def-d5t8ffi.jpg

athletic_turtle_3_of_4_by_naha_def-d5tcleo.jpg

athletic_turtle_4_of_4_by_naha_def-d5tg9q5.jpg

Page four, panel four is one of my favorite pictures :D

My twin brother recently began playing Skyward Sword, and the art direction in it is to die for. That sculpture definitely captures its bold colors and fluid character designs.

Thanks guys. :classic:

Pigbrick, you've got great shading skills, especially on that first pic!

My last week and a half:

diary_01_29_2013_by_naha_def-d5t4v6q.jpg

diary_02_01_2013_by_naha_def-d5tt4ws.jpg

diary_02_03_2013_by_naha_def-d5twbgs.jpg

diary_02_04_2013_by_naha_def-d5twxdh.jpg

As 'true' as these all are, they are somewhat vague in structure. Hopefully you can get the idea behind them all.

Great work everyone! I wish I was half as talented as you!

I've always gotten a good laugh out of a lot of your stuff def! And I am really liking the transition to color :thumbup:

These are some great artwork, polywen. The are the result of true talent. It also must be great to do comics for LEGO Club Magazine. How does that work, do you get commission or salary?

That's pretty cool. Nice job! You've got a real diversity of styles.

I put more time into coloring this month, and I liked the results.

diary_02_05_13_by_naha_def-d5ufo1k.jpg

diary_02_12_13_by_naha_def-d5uwfjs.jpg

diary_02_13_13_by_naha_def-d5v0gj4.jpg

diary_02_14_13_by_naha_def-d5v2t6t.jpg

i really am enjoying following this thread, I've taken up drawing myself, but I'm not that good. (I can only draw 2D right now, but that'll cange soon...I hope.)

Hey

I haven't posted here in a while! I've been keeping at it, and some better, and some worse results. I have kept coloring my strips, though I'm printing black and white.

diary_03_16_13_by_naha_def-d5z1q5t.jpg

The coloring got better, but there was still a gaudiness to it.

japan_diary_03_24_13_by_naha_def-d5zn54m.png

In April, I started experimenting with the color a lot more, and liking it.

04_09_13_by_naha_def-d61whwl.png

And then I started going into even weaker colour-palette. And now I'm really happy with the style.

diary_04_16_13_by_naha_def-d63p8yi.png

And now and again, I have to do even less, pure black and white. I want a loose line, and I'm getting better and better with it as I do three pages a week. If only I could do more...

diary_04_25_13_by_naha_def-d64me8b.png

ai really do love your work and style! I can not believe you don't have a newspaper or someone picking these up. Great job!