alanboar HK

Chinese Saintly Emperor Guan - Guan Yu 關聖帝君 - 關羽

MCW Contest 2011 Entry – Category 1

Chinese Saintly Emperor Guan - Guan Yu 關聖帝君 - 關羽

Hi all~ It is my favourite character. It had alot of story about Guan.

I m not good for the MCW event, but I will try my best & join ^-^

I build up the front door of the Chinese style house for the 8x8 base.

- I placed my own Dragon decal on his legendary weapon "Green Dragon Crescent Blade" 青龍偃月刀.

- The idea of his lego red face is represented to loyalty & righteousness.

- He like to wear The green dragon robe and the cloak.

- The brown horse is role as his legendary horse "Red hare" 赤兔馬

guanyu1.jpg

It is the articles of Guan as below from wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guan_Yu

Guan Yu (died 219) was a general serving under the warlord Liu Bei during the late Eastern Han Dynasty of China. He played a significant role in the civil war that led to the collapse of the Han Dynasty and the establishment of the state of Shu Han during the Three Kingdoms period, of which Liu Bei was the first emperor.

As one of the best known Chinese historical figures throughout East Asia, Guan's true life stories have largely given way to fictionalized ones, mostly found in the historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms or passed down the generations, in which his deeds and moral qualities have been lionized. Guan is respected as an epitome of loyalty and righteousness.

Guan was deified as early as the Sui Dynasty and is still worshipped by many Chinese people today, especially in southern China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong and their descendants overseas. He is a figure in Chinese folk religion, popular Confucianism, Taoism, and Chinese Buddhism, and small shrines to Guan are almost ubiquitous in traditional Chinese shops and restaurants. Guan Yu is still widely worshiped by the Chinese, with many shrines to him are found in homes or businesses. In Hong Kong, a shrine for Guan is located in each police station. Though by no means mandatory, most Chinese policemen worship and pay respect to him.

guanyu2.jpg

Front

guanyu6.jpg

Side

guanyu7.jpg

Back

guanyu8.jpg

Thank you and hope you like my loyalty and righteousness warrior minifigure

Brickshelf:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=487182

MOC Author: AlanBoar

blog.alanstudio.hk

lego.alanstudio.hk

Edited by alanboar HK

非常好!

very nice custom, infact I just finished a GuanYu 2 months ago and it looks the exact same as yours, with a flesh head and grey halberd instead.. I used a painted green helmet with gold fringes though, his war helmet.

Nice vignette and love the chinese temple roof too!

Any plans to make the rest of the 3 brothers and other figs?

Good luck for the contest!

非常好!

very nice custom, infact I just finished a GuanYu 2 months ago and it looks the exact same as yours, with a flesh head and grey halberd instead.. I used a painted green helmet with gold fringes though, his war helmet.

Nice vignette and love the chinese temple roof too!

Any plans to make the rest of the 3 brothers and other figs?

Good luck for the contest!

Thank you RIO, we have the same hero in deep of our heart, Yes , Guan is very attractive and smart. I like his story , weapon and his loyalty.

Haha ...if possible , may I have a look for your creation?

and I m thinking I will try to create 孔明 later :laugh:

Nice entry, alanboar HK.

I have to ask you to change the front, back and side shots, though: they must show only the custom figure on a plain background (no vignette in those). Thank you :classic:

Nice entry, alanboar HK.

I have to ask you to change the front, back and side shots, though: they must show only the custom figure on a plain background (no vignette in those). Thank you :classic:

HI..it is updated and thank you your notice..I think some rule is missing from my entry...

Nice!

I love your vignette :classic:

Thank you , it can enhance the scene by the tradional chinese vignette.

If it is not limited by 8x8 , I think I will build up the whole temple :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Rules check: Please add some indication of the cost of the materials you used. Good luck!

Hi AlanHK,

I am also trying to build one but could not find the weapon for Guan Yu.

can I ask where to find the 'guan' blade which your character is holding? Was it customised made by yourself?

What is the common name of the blade as I could not find it anywhere.

Hi AlanHK,

I am also trying to build one but could not find the weapon for Guan Yu.

can I ask where to find the 'guan' blade which your character is holding? Was it customised made by yourself?

What is the common name of the blade as I could not find it anywhere.

It's a combination of standard LEGO pieces. There are three pieces for the whole thing: Blade, Shaft, and End-Cap.

It's a combination of standard LEGO pieces. There are three pieces for the whole thing: Blade, Shaft, and End-Cap.

Hi , just review this topic and Jack you have the good observation.!! :laugh:

Tiozz: please try you own version, I think "Guan" is like as DC hero for HongKongers :tongue:

Just realized I never expressed how much I enjoyed this mini-fig. I've always been a fan a Kung-Fu (Kung-Fu used in the very loose sense to refer to Chinese action movies that may or may not actually deal directly with the martial art of Kung-Fu :tongue:) so it's nice to see a LEGO creation that does such a good job relating that. :thumbup:

Thanks, I just finish building Zhao Yun, Ma Chao, Liu Bei, Zhang Fei..

Still waiting for Kong Ming, Huang Zhong and of cos Guan Yu

Excellent job! You're tile roof looks great and I love the subject. I watch lots of Hong Kong TVB Pearl kung fu mini-series and this guys fits right in!