Sign in to follow this  
Cecilie

Ice planet base

Anyone remembering the Ice planet 2002 theme? The Ice Station Odyssey was one of my favourite sets as a child, and it has one of the most iconic female minifigs: the so called Ice planet babe. As a tribute to her, I've built my take on an Ice planet base, populated solely with female researchers.

Oh, and a bit more of history on my inspiration for this is this page from a catalog from 1993. As a child I just loved that image of the ice planet people carrying that blacktron guy encased in ice out of the ice cave :laugh: (and I still love that image!)

6272201061_8c4877aee7_z.jpg

6272201811_25709d4717_z.jpg

6272202695_1e9cb47729_z.jpg

There's a couple of play features as well. A spinning door on the front (as you can see in the pictures, it has been turned around from the previous to the next photo). And there's an elevator that can move up and down.

6272203471_0dbbacda36_z.jpg

The top floor is removable for better access to the lower level.

6272731648_656f2886d6_z.jpg

6272205619_cd851ce435_z.jpg

This was my first sci-fi creation, and I quite enjoyed making it. There might be more coming from me in the future :sweet:.

I like the idea behind this build, the lump of ice is a nice touch. :thumbup:

Although I think you can do better than this from looking at some of your previous builds. It looks rather unfinished to me, like it was just thrown together or someting. So in my opinion; give it another look.

Cecilie When I was child a liked white colour and when I learn all about Lego production,I liked Ice planet,too!It was a cooool serie six-seven years ago. :wink: Your Ice planet base is a cool work too!Thank you very much! :thumbup:

I like the idea behind this build, the lump of ice is a nice touch. :thumbup:

Although I think you can do better than this from looking at some of your previous builds. It looks rather unfinished to me, like it was just thrown together or someting. So in my opinion; give it another look.

Thanks, I guess :wink:. You're probably right, I could do better. The interior is a bit empty :cry_sad:. It isn't just thrown together though, I have put a lot of thought into it. But this was my first sci-fi build, and I made it as a sort of test to see if I liked building space stuff, which I did :sweet:. Unfortunately, I'm quite limited on space at the moment, and making further improvements to this would have required some bricklink orders, and I just couldn't have this taking up space on my desk for several more weeks, waiting for that at the moment. Maybe some other time, I'll make a new and improved version, a 2032 version :laugh:.

Cecilie When I was child a liked white colour and when I learn all about Lego production,I liked Ice planet,too!It was a cooool serie six-seven years ago. :wink: Your Ice planet base is a cool work too!Thank you very much! :thumbup:

Thanks, glad you like it :sweet:.

Lady scientists FTW!

Oh yeah! :devil_laugh:

Very cool, I like the frozen guy, I just recently got like 2 x 1 clear bricks and I was wondering what I could do with them, I bought them for watt, but ice, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

The base itself is nice too, I like the trans clear pieces you have every where, it really gives it that futuristic look.

I like what you've done. The MOC has a classic futuristic feel to it. And Ice Planet 2002 is my favorite space theme....(I own the whole collection :grin:)

Great design 'Cecilie', it's really COOL, some great to CHILL OUT with and female scientists....yeah, she's as COLD as ICE ! :laugh:

Sorry, about the puns....Brick On in the ice 'Cecilie' ! :grin:

I used to love Ice Planet back in the day. They were some of my favorite sets due to the trans orange pieces. Nice build. I love the block of ice. And I remember that picture well. All those older early 90s catalog pictures were great. I don't see anything like them anymore.

IP:2002 was one of my favorite themes, and I like what you have going on, but it feels incomplete, it's missing some OOMPH.

Were you trying to go with the original color theme, or more of just the feel? I've actually created a military wing of

IP:2002 using the same basic color scheme with heavier weaponry and some cosmetic differences. Check it out in my mobile spider base thread.

But your base looks nice and I like the idea.

I used to flip through that 1993 catalog almost every single day when I was a kid, and I never noticed that frozen Blacktron figure. Weird.

Very cool, I like the frozen guy, I just recently got like 2 x 1 clear bricks and I was wondering what I could do with them, I bought them for watt, but ice, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

The base itself is nice too, I like the trans clear pieces you have every where, it really gives it that futuristic look.

I really like this! :thumbup: It is very detailed and the interior has much playability! :classic:

Thank you, although not everyone agrees with you that it's very detailed :wink:.

I like what you've done. The MOC has a classic futuristic feel to it. And Ice Planet 2002 is my favorite space theme....(I own the whole collection :grin:)

I wish I had more Ice planet sets back in my childhood... I only had the base and the big spaceship :cry_sad:.

Great design 'Cecilie', it's really COOL, some great to CHILL OUT with and female scientists....yeah, she's as COLD as ICE ! :laugh:

Sorry, about the puns....Brick On in the ice 'Cecilie' ! :grin:

Chill dude :laugh:.

I used to love Ice Planet back in the day. They were some of my favorite sets due to the trans orange pieces. Nice build. I love the block of ice. And I remember that picture well. All those older early 90s catalog pictures were great. I don't see anything like them anymore.

Trans neon orange is sweet :wub:. I really miss those funny and cool pictures in the catalogues these days, they have become quite boring...

IP:2002 was one of my favorite themes, and I like what you have going on, but it feels incomplete, it's missing some OOMPH.

Were you trying to go with the original color theme, or more of just the feel? I've actually created a military wing of

IP:2002 using the same basic color scheme with heavier weaponry and some cosmetic differences. Check it out in my mobile spider base thread.

But your base looks nice and I like the idea.

I would have loved to go with the original color scheme, but I just didn't have the necessary pieces for that right now... Maybe next time :wink:. And then I'll include more OOMPH too like you put it so nicely :laugh:.

I used to flip through that 1993 catalog almost every single day when I was a kid, and I never noticed that frozen Blacktron figure. Weird.

You never noticed it? :look: You couldn't have been looking very hard on those pages then :laugh:.

Ha!

I actually laughed out loud at the ice block :laugh:

Very clever :)

:thumbup:

What did you use for the star backdrop? is it just photo shopped? or do you have a backdrop with white dots?

Ha!

I actually laughed out loud at the ice block :laugh:

Very clever :)

:thumbup:

What did you use for the star backdrop? is it just photo shopped? or do you have a backdrop with white dots?

Thank you :sweet:. I used a black backdrop and added the stars with an airbrush tool.

Hello!

It's a really nice playset layout. :classic: It was clever to use white as a main colour, because you can combine every other colour with that, no matter how many there are (I counted 8 transparent colours. :wink:). My favourite detail is the radar dish with the brackets around it. Very clever and good looking. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher