DLuders

xyzzzach's Lego Technic Automatic Synchro Drives

"Gearhead" AFOL xyzzzach recently posted this

of a Lego Technic Mini Automatic Synchro Drive unit. "The chain spinning on the perimeter is on one end of a differential and the system that turns the syncro-drive (all four wheels at once) is on the other. When resistance is felt on the chain (running into wall), the power transfers through the differential to the sincro-drive turning mechanism. The power follows the path of the least resistance. No sensors but it call still detect and change course, all mechanically."

It joins his

which he says is "One of my favorite inventions. The ring gear spinning on the perimeter is on one end of a differential and the system that turns the sincro-drive (all four wheels at once) is on the other. When resistance is felt on the ring gear (running into wall), the power transfers through the diferential to the sincro drive turning mechanism. The power follows the path of the least resistance. No sensors but it call still detect and change course, all mechanically."

Maybe he could add a suction device to make it one of those robotic room vacuum cleaners! :sweet:

Wow thats ingenious!! I never would have even thought that to be possible!! Deffinitly one of the more original MOCs lately.

tim

I am sooo going to build a massive version of this. Imagine a 5ft tall 2ft round version. I could just let it go round the house!

Well after planning it in my head via a train journey. I made my own version of the Automatic Synchro drive. I did not even look at a single online reference. This is just a prototype for me to scale up.

Quite chuffed, it took around 2 hours to make and is the 2nd thingy I have built in studless.

Very nice prototype! How large are you going to make the actual machine?

tim

I want the spinning ring to be monorail size lol So I guess over 2ft round

I want the spinning ring to be monorail size lol So I guess over 2ft round

Thats huge! Anyway, i cant wait to see it! Don't forget to post WIP photos.

tim

That is awesome! It put a huge smile on my face with a couple chuckles... I cannot believe the complexity of gearing on this thing and it's fluid motion. This is really neat to watch! default_classic.gif

This is indeed a very clever invention (among many on xyzzzach's youtube channel). I was also inspired to make my own studless version of this a few years ago!! I also made instructions for mine here.

I've been interested (some people might say obsessed) in purely mechanical (non-electronic) obstacle-avoiding robots for a while. Here are a couple of my other attempts at this:

And here is one by someone else:

rock-stupid-big.jpg

Edited by aeh5040

I built Aeh5040's Automatic Synchro Drive gizmo over the weekend, and it works great. I converted the HTML file and associated images into one, 1.8-MB here file (via MegaUpload SkyDrive). His Brickshelf gallery has an LDraw file and photos.

synchro.jpg

Edited by DLuders

b064_ufo_02.jpgb064_ufo_01.jpg

[bUMP]

ISOGAWAYoshihito posted this

of a "Lego UFO That Cannot Fly". It is a simpler version of the Automatic Synchro Drive (which changes direction when striking a wall or fence). Pictures appear on his website.

b064_ufo_03.jpg