1. 1. On a scale of 1-5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

8206_000.jpg

I recently decided to check for myself the quality of these LEGO Cars sets. Being a great fan of the series, and being Italian, I could but choose a set including Luigi and Guido for my first ‘bite’. This one is from this year’s film, Cars 2, action packed sequel to the first, more light-hearted Cars from 2006.

Theme: LEGO Cars (Cars 2)

Set name: Tokyo Pit Stop

Set Number: 8206

Price: 14.99 $, 13.49 £, 14.99 Euro

Pieces: 146

Year of release: 2011

Prepare your pit crew for the World Grand Prix!

Time is running out to prepare for the world’s biggest race - the World Grand Prix in Tokyo! Help Luigi and Guido to tune-up their skills with lots of practice. Make sure that on race day, they will leave the other pit crews in the dust!

• Includes Luigi and Guido

• Features Japanese-style pit

• Measures over 5” (12cm) long and 4” (10cm) tall

• Cars all measures over 2” (5cm) long and 1” (2cm) tall

Links: Peeron, Bricklink and Brickset

The Box

Front

8206_001.jpg

The front of the box shows the completed set on a pit-lane background taken from the Cars 2 film. Not really sure why they should have a smaller gate in front of the garage area, splitting its door in three parts, but who am I to argue with Guido and Luigi? The left part of the front is devoted to advertising: LEGO logo, age range, set number, Disney – Pixar Cars 2 logo and a smiling Lightning McQueen fill this part on a nice stripped dark grey/black and metallic dark red background. The Disney logo also appears in the upper right corner.

Back

8206_003.jpg

The back shows some play features: Luigi running through the gate thingy, Guido weaving the finish flag and Luigi getting ready for Lighting McQueen’s pit stop. LEGO and Disney – Pixar Cars 2 logo, along with a spy-car silhouette fill the upper band. What may look like Luigi and Guido’s mug shots also appear there along with their names.

Sides

8206_002.jpg

The upper side shows again the logos and mug shots, this time without names.

8206_004.jpg

More interesting is the right vertical side, which sports the usual LEGO legal notices and warning, along with the lines: ‘Disney/Pixar elements: © Disney/Pixar, not including underlying vehicles owned by third parties: FIAT TM’. It would seem FIAT got the rights for the use of the only character based on an actually recognisable car design: Luigi as a FIAT 500.

Contents

Inside

8206_005.jpg

Upon opening, the box reveals two numbered bags, one instruction booklet and one stickers’ sheet (more on these two later on).

8206_011.jpg

Bag number one is devoted to holding and protecting the Cars’ parts. It’s full of bright coloured pieces, with some grey and black accents.

8206_010.jpg

Bag number two includes the parts needed to build the pit stop area. Here, earth tones dominate, along with bits of red and pearl gold.

8206_012.jpg

Spare parts include Cheese Slopes, Round 1x1 plates and a Lever. Not mind blowing, but useful parts all, imo.

New pieces

8206_013.jpg

I call these parts theme exclusive pieces, as they were introduced this year with/for this particular theme. One of the most anticipated/loved/hated/discussed parts is the windshield. To be honest, I did not like it much myself when I first saw it. One thing must be said, though: it works wonders for these little guys: we’ll see later how good it looks for Luigi. The Yellow Slope, Curved 4 x 1 Double No Studs, especially in its non-decorated variant, promises to be a great piece for MOCs.

8206_014.jpg

Another group of looked after parts from this set includes the Light Aqua Slope 30 1 x 1 x 2/3 and Vehicle, Mudguard 2 x 4 with Headlights Overhang used for Guido (I for one would love to have more parts in this colour) as well as the new Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 4, here in Yellow (how many times did we need a piece shaped like this but had to make do with the old ones?).

8206_015.jpg

Finally, we have the Flat Silver Wheel 11 x 6 mm with Smooth Hubcap, which give our Cars a wonderfully vintage look. Well done LEGO designers!

Instructions

8206_006.jpg

The cover reproduces the same composition as on the box front (minus the age range). On the right you can see the stickers’ sheet. I was worried when I first set eyes upon these sets: on the one side, I feared the pieces would all be printed, including the Allinol and flag ones; on the other hand they could all be stickered, lowering the value of the characters’ parts in my view. I think TLG came to a good compromise: the Cars’ exclusive parts are printed (save for some in Mack, as far as I know), while the more common ones are left untouched, to boost their use in MOCs (as you may know, I’m not a fan of applying stickers!).

8206_007.jpg

Random page – The build is pretty straight forward, and it does not need pieces call-outs. If I’m not mistaken, the highest number of pieces used in one step is 4...

8206_008.jpg

The inner back cover page shows some of the other sets of the line, to hook you buy more, of course (they almost succeeded with me!).

8206_009.jpg

The traditional parts’ list. I like the clean background that does not catch the eye too much, but still prevents the page from being totally blank.

Building

Start

8206_016.jpg

We start off with Guido. As said, and expected, the build is pretty simple, yet ingenious. What I do not appreciate too much is the use of two plates instead of one. Granted, two plates can be useful, but I hope this choice was not made to raise the pieces count only.

8206_020.jpg

Luigi follows the same path…

Guido

8206_017.jpg

8206_018.jpg

Once finished, our friendly little Guido is ready to work with his Spanner / Screwdriver. I think TLG designers put him first in the instructions so he can help build hid pal.

Luigi

8206_021.jpg

8206_023.jpg

Luigi is equipped with headset and microphone to communicate with Lightning McQueen and make sure everything is ready for when he needs a pit stop. Judging from his expression, everything is working fine. The additional clip is meant to be used for holding other parts, or can be fancied as the door handle. (If truth be told, the microphone should be hold by Luigi’s right clip, but…).

8206_022.jpg

Contrary to what some youngsters may think, Luigi’s back ‘windshield’ decoration is not meant to be a cartoon-ish design of its own, but it’s the perfect reproduction of the actual original 500’s posterior engine air-vents (sorry Clone O’Patra!).

Pit Stop Area

8206_025.jpg

The box gate/thingy, Allinol tank and ‘finish line’(?) complete the set. The gate looks nice and quite a piece of oriental architecture.

Finished set

Complete set

8206_026.jpg

Lightning McQueen is nearing the pit stop area, Guido and Luigi get ready for him!

Two friends

8206_024.jpg

The race is going well, and Luigi and Guido are enjoying the Tokyo atmosphere. Smile for the cameras!

Bonus images

Sad Luigi

8206_027.jpg

Flipping the mudguard piece, we can have the sad expression for Luigi. Granted, the bumper is now above the mouth, but it does not look too bad. I like the additional playing options this allows; too bad Guido’s mouth piece cannot be flipped as well for additional expressions. Maybe it’s time for some customiser’s work!

Helping a friend

8206_028.jpg

Mater is always around to help friends in need… or just to allow Guido play his favourite game: PIT-STOP!

Size comparison

8206_029.jpg

Our happy characters pose alongside an alien (for their car-verse) boxer. As you can see, they are fairly minifigure-proportionate.

Farewell

8206_030.jpg

Guido bids you farewell until we meet again, maybe at a Ferrari race!

Final comments

Overall, this is a nice little set for Cars’ fans. It includes two of the most popular characters, as well as a bit of background to add to playability. As one would expect, the main goal of this kind of set is to prompt you to buy more, and it has been achieved pretty well. On the other hand, even if I do not expect anybody to go army-building with Guido and Luigi, it is a nice and cheap way to get more characters.

Design & Colour scheme - 10/10 (It is not always easy to get a good look with a set that has to be based off some other media. Being Cars a kid’s toon, the characters are bright coloured, while the background is real world-like. TLG designers [as well as Disney/Pixar ones] managed to balance well the two aspects and give us an eye appealing set.)

Characters - 9/10 (I’m very happy to see how these versions of Luigi and Guido turned out. Granted, Luigi is a bit too blocky, but we are dealing with LEGO, the block [or brick] game for excellence! Guido, on his side, is just pure cuteness!)

Parts - 9/10 (Great variety of useful parts, a reasonable amount of new pieces, though much of them are printed. Of course, the greatest MOC potential reseeds in the pit stop area parts, but the Medium Blue and Light Aqua pieces from Guido [if one will ever take him apart] are a good addition to anyone’s inventory.)

Playability – 10/10 (It’s cute speaking Cars! What more reasons do you need to find ways to play with them? The accessories add to that, too.)

Build – 8/10 (Nothing too complex, but some efficient solutions are used.)

Price – 10/10 (Though this is a Licensed set, it looks to be one of the most balanced ones price-wise: 146 parts for $/€ 14.99 is pretty good in my book, especially of late.)

Overall: 9.3/10 Excellent

As always, questions, comments, and pic requests welcome!

Superb review! :classic::thumbup:

Thanks for the great experience! Actually it was one of the few sets I was going to get, since it has some very nice parts and the design of the heroes is really a top notch.

good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Thanks 'LuxorV' for this review, Luigi is great but Guido is the bomb....AWESOME little guy he is eh ? :laugh:

Oh, those hub-cap wheel rims would be ever so handy for MOCing city vehicles. :wink:

Brick On Race On ! :grin: