Powdered Super Scarab Shell - 1 left

Waldruk Pine Nettles - 2 left

Crushed Chimera Hoof - 1 left

And it turned into goo.

William used

Ennonian Rose Petals - 1 left

Mopagian Pale Root - 2 left

And got a Mead. That means some stuff in it is good.

Glorf used

Mopagian Pale Root - 2 left

Ground Golem's Kidney - 2 left

And got one health in a puff of gas.

That leads me to believe...

Ennonian Rose Petals - Health/Good

Powdered Super Scarab Shell - ???/Solidifies stuff?

Mopagian Pale Root - Health/Good

Waldruk Pine Nettles - ???/Solidifies stuff?

Crushed Chimera Hoof - Liquifies stuff.

Ground Golem's Kidney - Gaseous...fies stuff."

Atramor walks over to the Essence of Obsidian and opens it, checking the consistancy to see if it's gooey, liquid, gas, or...other.

"....I hope I'm not looking into this too much."

Atramor gazes into the vial of Essence of Obsidian, the liquid inside is of average viscosity, average volatility, average weight, average density, average refractive index, average flammability, average polarizability, average solubility, and is colored an average black.

"Ah, screw it."

Atramor mixed up the Powdered Scarab Shell, Waldruk Pine Needles, and the Ground Golem's Kidney.

Atramor, frustrated with the party's attempts thus far, hurriedly mixes his own solution. The reaction promptly begins to fizzle and then explodes with a loud bang, breaking the reaction flask, scaring McCafferey out of Atramor's hat, and leaving him deaf in one ear for several minutes.

Remaining ingredients:

Powdered Super Scarab Shell - 1 left

Mopagian Pale Root - 1 left

Waldruk Pine Nettles - 1 left

Ground Golem's Kidney - 1 left

What combination will the Party try next? A reminder that it will cost the Party 10 Gold to restock the entire set of solutions if they run out.

"Curses. Thought it had to do with the darkest colors. Hmm...you wanna take a shot, Tarn?" he asked, as McCafferey nervously fluttered back onto the brim of his hat.

Maybe the ingredients are colour coded, so if I may Atramor, try

Ennonian Rose Petals (red)

Powdered Super Scarab Shell (blue)

Ground Golem's Kidney (purple)

What do you think Tarn?

Edited by volcanicpanik

Although highly dubious about the whole affair - this was more like mages work than anything he was used to - after William had jumped in with a second attempt, Tarn decided that he may as well finish up the ingredients left and therefore mixed:

Mopagian Pale Root - 1 left

Waldruk Pine Nettles - 1 left

Agh! I was asking for your opinion Tarn! Not locking in another combination of ingredients! Oh well, guess its out of our hands now.

"Sorry, I thought you were going ahead with your mix rather than asking an opinion.

I don't mind paying 10 gold if we run out of ingredients, so perhaps we should just use up these in the manner we have indicated?

Maybe we will get lucky!"

Tarn remembered Tesni's mistrust of alchemy, and her determination not to get involved in this quest. Maybe she was right, he mused. On the other hand, if they had Ellaria with them, Tarn knew she'd figure this out in record time.

Jostling for room at the lab bench, William and Tarn attempt to create the essence in one fell swoop. Reaching over and around each other in the confined space, the two struggle until William gleefully holds up a newly synthesized bottle of Smelling Salts from his selection of ingrediants, which he accordingly places into his pack. However, William's joy is cut short as Tarn's reaction begins to boil over, sending splatters of acidic droplets all over. William ducks for cover, but Tarn takes a few spats on his hands, causing him 1 Damage, before the reaction finally slows.

img_2874.jpgSmelling Salts x1 - Imparts the Hastened effect, allowing the target to act twice in one round for the duration of one battle.

6053295509_408d809eab_t.jpg

Tarn Valco

(Played by Rumble Strike)

Level 6 Barbarian

Power: 15

Health: 12/13

Gold: 52

Inventory: Kyrferath, a Battle Ax (WP:9, water elemental), Pole-axe (WP:3), Bottle of Mead, Lightning Bomb, Potion x2, Tonic, Venom

Remaining ingredients:

Ennonian Rose Petals - 0 left

Powdered Super Scarab Shell - 0 left

Mopagian Pale Root - 0 left

Waldruk Pine Nettles - 0 left

Crushed Chimera Hoof - 0 left

Ground Golem's Kidney - 0 left

What will the Party do next? Remember, in order to continue, the party will have to pay 10 Gold to restock the solutions.

How about we buy more, have Tarn mix the stuff I did to heal himself. And then keep trying new formulas.

It also might be worth it to make a few more smelling salts and bottles of mead. I must say this is turning out quite profitably.

Edited by soccerkid6

Tarn pays 10 gold to have the ingredients restocked.

"I'm not going to mix up another batch just for these little injuries", he says to the knight.

"However I think we need to really think about what we have seen and what effects each ingredient has had on the batches we have produced so far, see if there're any constants we can work out."

Tarn pays 10 gold to have the ingredients restocked.

"I'm not going to mix up another batch just for these little injuries", he says to the knight.

"However I think we need to really think about what we have seen and what effects each ingredient has had on the batches we have produced so far, see if there're any constants we can work out."

If worse comes to the worst, we can produce some more smelling salts and mead. Anyway thanks for restocking I would of helped but as you can see I am out of cash

"Okay, we'll give this one more round, but then I'm thinking we just take it. This is more trouble than it's worth..."

"This is definitely color coded, so I'll try the Waldurk Needles, Crushed Chimera Hoof, and Ground Golem's Kidney."

In what we have done so far, for every bad/useless thing, there has been Waldruk Pine Nettles in it. For every good thing there has been Ennonian rose petals. Also I agree that the colors seem to effect it. So if it is alright,

I will try Ennonian Rose Petals

Mopagian Pale Root

Powdered Super Scarab Shell

And I think we should at least use all the ingredients that Tarn bought. I mean look what we have already got.

My powers of alchemy and deduction are unmatched. :tongue:

You should do another one, seeing as you are so good at getting real stuff. Maybe you will make the essence.

What occurs next, makes the Party's last attempt look like a picnic. Atramor makes a grab for the Waldruk Pine Needles but is thwarted by the over zealous William. Amidst clinking bottles, reaching hands, flying mortars and pestles, and all together general mayhem Sir Glorfindel valiantly tries to quietly create a concoction of his own. Atramor shouts with triumph as he at last lifts a gleaming black flask of Essence of Obsidian. William shakes his head at the rogue's success, but the scene is cut short as Sir Glorfindels reaction lights on fire. The flames rage and consume the rest of the ingredients on the table including William's in progress mixture. Atramor quickly pockets the Essence and shelters McCafferey from becoming the next main course.

img_2875.jpgEssence of Obsidian x1 - Quest Item.

The pandemonium is short lived, as shopkeeper returns and rushes in amongst the now billowing smoke. "Back! Get back you fools!" Removing his cloak, the shopkeeper quickly puts out the fire, but there is not much to save of the current supplies. "This is what I get for letting amateurs do my job for me! What were you thinking combining, Ennonian Rose Petals, Powdered Super Scarab Shell, and Mopagian Pale Root?!? You should be glad you didn't torch the entire place! Now unless you're planning to spend some real money, be on your way, and be glad I'm not making you pay for that set of supplies you just ruined."

What will the Party do next?

"Ah-ha!" shouts Atramor, flipping the Essence in the air and then catching it. "Knew it would work..."

He looks at the list in his hat, which he drops the Essence in as well.

"We were supposed to go Glassblower's after the Fismarket, but we're closest to the Tomes place. What do you guys think?"

Tarn hands the shopkeeper an additional 20 gold to compensate for using up all the ingredients. He thinks it's a small price to pay for getting hold of the Essense of Obsidian and should hopefully help calm the shopkeeper. "For replacing your cloak, sir", he said politely. Rystael wouldn't have it any other way.

"Well, nobody else seems to be speaking up. Tomes place it is."

As the party prepares to head off to Shrooft's Tomes and Scripts, the Apothecary clerk runs into the streets after them. After catching his breath, he apologizes to the party.

"Wait... my good heroes, I'm afraid I've done you wrong, I was just so frustrated with my own lad not coming into work today and leaving me with all this work. However, missing lads are no laughing matter and I shouldn't have taken my frustration with the Guild of Invision out upon you. Please accept my apologies and these simple gifts. Barbarian, here's your money, I don't need it and I have a feeling it may be spent better else where. Don't worry about the mess, I've nearly burned down the old place twice already, so I shouldn't have expected anything less from you all. Next time you stop in my shop Barbarian, you can have 25% off any merchandise! Good luck on your search."

The shopkeeper hands Tarn back his 20 Gold and also gives 1 Nostrum and 1 Smelling Salts to the Party to divy up. The shopkeeper turns back toward his shop mumbling to himself, "Essenes of Obsidian...hmmm...I haven't had an order for that since the Grey De..."

img_2872.jpgNostrum x1 - Imparts the Lucky effect, allowing the target to roll the battle die twice and get the better result of the two for the duration of one battle.

img_2874.jpgSmelling Salts x1 - Imparts the Hastened effect, allowing the target to act twice in one round for the duration of one battle.

The Party at last heads off to the bookshop on the east side of Eubric, content with their newly received loot. As they progress, they are again observed by two hooded figures in dark robes shifting silently in and out of the dark doorways and alleys of the city.

Party Leader, how will the gifts be distributed?