MrZ

I'm never ordering from Amazon again!

Is this from Amazon themselves or a seller through the site? If it is Amazon, they really should use more packaging but the damage is from being posted. The sorting machines do not handle mail gently. If it is a private seller, just don't buy from them again.

Is this from Amazon themselves or a seller through the site? If it is Amazon, they really should use more packaging but the damage is from being posted. The sorting machines do not handle mail gently. If it is a private seller, just don't buy from them again.

It's from Amazon themselves. "Amazon Export Sales". Am I within my rights to return it for a refund?

It's from Amazon themselves. "Amazon Export Sales". Am I within my rights to return it for a refund?

No idea, their terms and conditions might have something about it.

"Amazon Export Sales" sounds more like a retailer and not anything I've ever heard them called. Either way, I've had as bad/worse from TLG directly and if it really is Amazon, contacting them to report the problem will get you a full refund and they'll probably tell you to keep it. If it's an independent retailer using Amazon, you may not have the same luck.

Go on then - cut off your nose to spite your face and never buy cut-price LEGO from Amazon again because the postal service didn't handle the package carefully.....ridiculous !

Either that or just ring them up and they'll replace it free of charge....

If you're in the UK and really want to complain then Argos and Boots are far more deserving targets - my last few consignments from those sellers were posted in poly bags and without any other protctection at all.

In the end, whether it's LEGO shop@home, Amazon or whoever, and however well it's packaged, you're at the mercy of the postal service or courier. I agree it's infuriating when your precious cargo arrives damaged, but I've never been refused a replacement when that's happened.

Dr. D.

This arrived today:

http://imageshack.us/f/18/lego1f.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/40/lego2f.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/266/lego3z.jpg/

In the first image, I did not do that to the box. That's actually how it arrived.

Flimsy cardboard, no protection at all. Any idea what I should do about this?

This is a hassle I really didn't need :(

I think you are overreacting. Amazon;s boxes generally are pretty sturdy. This looks as though it was mishandled by the shipping company amazon use, which can differ from country to country. Send amazon customer service these pictures and ask for a solution. My experience with the way amazon (at least their UK branch) handle complaints is very good.

By the way, I probably wouldn't even bother complaining about this as long as the parts inside the boxes were undamaged, but I suppose that all depends on what you want with them.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ok, I understand your frustration, I'd be upset too, but lets be real here. Did you buy these to display them sealed on a shelf? Or were you going to open them and build them? I doubt any of the LEGO pieces got damaged.

Ok, I understand your frustration, I'd be upset too, but lets be real here. Did you buy these to display them sealed on a shelf? Or were you going to open them and build them? I doubt any of the LEGO pieces got damaged.

I actually bought them to resell them, so they are useless to me now.

I actually bought them to resell them, so they are useless to me now.

Then you need to contact Amazon and let them know your product arrived damaged and get a replacement.

The true spirit of a LEGO fan, buy low and sell high. :sadnew:

The OP isn't overreacting at all. Do you really think that the LEGO sets are in an acceptable condition?

The problem is caused by courier companies not giving a **** about their customers' parcels and letting them get bashed up like that.

However, the onus is on the retailer to put it right as they contracted the courier company.

Amazon are good at replacing damaged items. I have had LEGO sets damaged by an incompetent parcel company and Amazon replaced the sets without a fuss.

They will also complain to the courier company.

The problem (in the UK at least) is that delivery drivers are paid very little per parcel and this is reflected in the poor "service" that you get. However, this shouldn't mean that you have to accept squashed and damaged items.

Then you need to contact Amazon and let them know your product arrived damaged and get a replacement.

The true spirit of a LEGO fan, buy low and sell high. :sadnew:

Yes well, City Corner is $100 here in Australia if you can even find a place that sells it.

I also buy sets, which I think will go up in value over the years, to put away in storage. Again, useless if damaged...

The OP isn't overreacting at all. Do you really think that the LEGO sets are in an acceptable condition?

If he wasn't buying them for the sole reason to resell them, then yes, I'm sure the actual set is in perfect condition.

Since we already established he wanted them only to sell, I've already agreed he is within his right as a customer to request replacements.

If he wasn't buying them for the sole reason to resell them, then yes, I'm sure the actual set is in perfect condition.

Since we already established he wanted them only to sell, I've already agreed he is within his right as a customer to request replacements.

If you collect MISB sets then the condition of the box is important. If you wanted to give the set as a birthday or Christmas present then the condition of the box is also important.

It doesn't matter what the "reason" is for buying the set it doesn't justify receiving them in squashed and damaged boxes.

If you collect MISB sets then the condition of the box is important. If you wanted to give the set as a birthday or Christmas present then the condition of the box is also important.

It doesn't matter what the "reason" is for buying the set it doesn't justify receiving them in squashed and damaged boxes.

Why are you still arguing with me, I already agreed that he should request and deserves replacements.

I was simply staying that if he was planning to open and build the sets, to save himself time and frustration, if he opened the damaged boxes, I'm sure the LEGO pieces are just fine.

Why are you still arguing with me, I already agreed that he should request and deserves replacements.

I was simply staying that if he was planning to open and build the sets, to save himself time and frustration, if he opened the damaged boxes, I'm sure the LEGO pieces are just fine.

??

I wasn't arguing with you and I haven't disagreed with you that the OP should request and deserve a replacement.

I agree that the LEGO pieces probably are fine.

My point is that when you buy a LEGO set you shouldn't expect the retail box to be squashed and damaged whatever the reason you buy it for.

Perhaps most buyers would be happy to receive boxes in that condition. Personally I wouldn't and I don't buy LEGO sets to resell at some future date.

It is the acceptance of poor service and practices that encourages parcel companies to have such disregard and lack of care for their customers' items.

Guys! Calm down, some of you should know better than to mindlessly argue a point, just walk away and leave it! I believe there is a flowchart somewhere out there that can help...

MrZ, if the company you purchased from was indeed Amazon.whatever and the Export Service is merely a way of sending after you bought from an out of territory portal (I did this to get the Canadian hardcover edition of a book in a series I collect, the UK realease was paperback and the US cover didn't match... Yes I am also a book nerd) then you are within your right to request a replacement.

If as Shadows suggested it was a seller working through Amazon you should still be able to send it back and get a new one unless they stipulated otherwise when you purchased it. Whatever happens both the courier(s) and the Company will have insurance to cover the costs.

Everyone else. The matter is now solved, please don't make this a mud slinging contest.

Just for the record, the overreaction I referred to is not in complaining to amazon -if I was buying sets that I wanted to resell and they would arrive in this state, I'd complain too. The overreaction is in the title: "I'm never ordering from Amazon again!"

Let them deal with the complaint, then decide.

Cheers,

Ralph

Well if this is how my first order from them arrives, why should I trust them again?

Well if this is how my first order from them arrives, why should I trust them again?

It could be a one off incident. If you are ordering from overseas, there is any number of places that could have happened. Right out of the warehouse, maybe even on it's way to the shipping overseas point. Within the overseas sending warehouse, on the way to your country, at the customs of your country, in the sorting office of the national mail/ courie's national base, on the way to your area distrobution centre, on the way to the courier who takes it to your door. Unless you personally took it off them, it could have even happened in your home!

One bad experience and declaring "Never again!" seems a bit OTT. Even when it is the first.

I've had the same thing happen with things shipped from amazon, I ordered the fire brigade and the imperial flagship, then when it arrived I saw the box was badly damaged. Upon open the box, I noticed the shipping box had torn, as had the two boxes for the sets, the fire brigade polybags were pouring out of the box, and the Imperial Flagship box had been torn completely open, then resealed with clear shipping tape. I might upload some photos of the carnage later.

This is partially Amazon's fault, they often do ship their sets in inappropriate boxes that are not sturdy enough to withstand crushing, unlike S@H that often double boxes their shipments, as well as using heavy duty cardboard. Luckily, Amazon customer service is great, and I was able to return the damaged sets and the replacement sets were in great shape. I really hope Amazon will learn and start providing more sturdy packaging for Lego sets, I think that will be a lot cheaper than having to replace damaged sets in the long run. I wonder if Amazon is able to file claims with the shippers, because poor packaging or not, the ultimate responsibility is with the freight companies and their handlers that treat packages like punching bags.

The problem is caused by courier companies not giving a **** about their customers' parcels and letting them get bashed up like that.

However, the onus is on the retailer to put it right as they contracted the courier company.

Amazon are good at replacing damaged items. I have had LEGO sets damaged by an incompetent parcel company and Amazon replaced the sets without a fuss.

They will also complain to the courier company.

The problem (in the UK at least) is that delivery drivers are paid very little per parcel and this is reflected in the poor "service" that you get. However, this shouldn't mean that you have to accept squashed and damaged items.

How were your sets damaged? Were pieces cracked or something?

Because you haven't given them the opportunity to fix it.

I've had dozens of orders from Amazon. I've bought, books, CDs and electronics from them, as well as lots of LEGO. I've also used them to send presents to friends overseas. They're generally cheap, quick and in my experience deal well with complaints. I have never had any significant problems with them. I once got sent a misprinted CD, which I returned (misprinted in that the music that was in the description printed on the CD wasn't actually the music that was on it) and for which I got my money back and I once bought a USB/ parallel port adapter that turned out not to work with my computer, which they replaced free of charge for a more expensive model that did work.

Cheers,

Ralph

You should definitely contact Amazon's customer service. The last time I received a book from Amazon that was damaged during shipping, it took all of a few minutes to request a replacement. The book wasn't even that badly damaged. It just had a crease mark in its dust jacket. Amazon sent the replacement book without question and let me keep the original.

You know what I think I'm just going to keep it, and re-sell the individual contents separately. For example, I'll sell the bus on it's own, the stores separately, etc. I may even get more for the total sum of the individual parts, than for the set as a whole (fingers crossed). If anything, I'll at least get my money back, and it's probably easier than shipping it back to Amazon as that would cost over $40. Thing is, I already printed out an RA, etc. from Amazon, I'm guessing if I just keep the sets it'll all be sweet?