CopMike

LEGO® CUUSOO 空想 - Turn your model wishes into reality

I'm currently in the process of building a modular house-style Krusty Krab from SpongeBob SquarePants and I was planning on posting it to CUUSOO. Do you think it would be a good idea? You guys know that LEGO is still continuing to make SpongeBob sets.

Go for it! It can't hurt to give it a shot. Post a link here when your done so I can check it out!

Another curious project is approaching 10,000. Definitely not my cup of tea, but it jumped over the Back to the Future project and the Western Town project.

I am expecting the rifter to hit 10,000 this week. It's a good design, but I know nothing about EVE so I don't have much to say on it. It seems to have been given a huge push by the game company itself. The one thing about CUUSOO is that it almost no original IP can get through the system. Almost all the big projects have some huge liscence backing them.

Edited by reptiman

Go for it! It can't hurt to give it a shot. Post a link here when your done so I can check it out!

I am expecting the rifter to hit 10,000 this week. It's a good design, but I know nothing about EVE so I don't have much to say on it. It seems to have been given a huge push by the game company itself. The one thing about CUUSOO is that it almost no original IP can get through the system. Almost all the big projects have some huge liscence backing them.

I think another part of it is that you see a lot more success if celebrities back them. In all previous cases it's been the creators of the property the proposal is based on. But I think if, say, David Beckham voiced his support of even a generic soccer/football stadium on a prominent public forum (such as a talk show, etc.), it would see support surge. The most important thing seems not to be that it is based on a licensed property, but that the general, non-AFOL public becomes aware of it. Of course, the easiest way this can happen, and the one we have witnessed repeatedly, involves existing non-LEGO fanbases flocking to support a LEGO proposal based on the subject of their fandom.

I think another part of it is that you see a lot more success if celebrities back them. In all previous cases it's been the creators of the property the proposal is based on. But I think if, say, David Beckham voiced his support of even a generic soccer/football stadium on a prominent public forum (such as a talk show, etc.), it would see support surge. The most important thing seems not to be that it is based on a licensed property, but that the general, non-AFOL public becomes aware of it. Of course, the easiest way this can happen, and the one we have witnessed repeatedly, involves existing non-LEGO fanbases flocking to support a LEGO proposal based on the subject of their fandom.

But how do I get a celebrity to join me?

Back to the Future is less than 1,000 votes away as well. Two in one week, perhaps? :drool:

Back to the Future is less than 1,000 votes away as well. Two in one week, perhaps? :drool:

IMO, it seems like it's getting easier to reach 10,000 supporters. I guess more people are aware of Cuusoo now.

The awareness is great, but the more projects that hit 10,000, the less projects will be approved. That's what I think is gonna happen, anyway.

IMO, it seems like it's getting easier to reach 10,000 supporters. I guess more people are aware of Cuusoo now.

The awareness is great, but the more projects that hit 10,000, the less projects will be approved. That's what I think is gonna happen, anyway.

Well I'm happy as long as a decent number get approved before a huge influx of new sets begin to reach that threshold. I'm somewhat worried that if proposals that are unlikely to get approval keep reaching the threshold and getting turned down, they will discourage many non-AFOLs from trusting the system, and thus fewer non-AFOLs will vote.

Of course, I'm not letting that affect which projects I put my support behind. I don't think Cuusoo would have much usefulness at all if fans "played it safe" and only supported projects they were confident would become real sets. If a project makes it clear what sort of product it intends to create, and I like the idea, then I'll gladly support it and leave the difficult decision-making to TLG (as well as any other rightsholders they have to negotiate with).

The Rifter is less than 30 supporters away from reaching 10,000 as I write this, and BTTF is less than 900 away. So we could see two projects hit the mark this week.

Regarding projects based on licensed properties: I do think this could potentially be a big problem for CUUSOO. Currently, 7 of the top 8 projects are based on someone else's IP; the Western modular sets is the only one that isn't. Nine of the top 12 projects are based on someone else's IP. I think is due to 1) these properties already have a large fanbase built-in, and 2) the mechanisms already exist to communicate these projects to that fanbase, via fan websites, social media, traditional media, etc.

Using CUUSOO to effectively research which licensed properties have fans that are interested in LEGO models might be part of TLG's goal here. The problem is that these projects are bundled in with non-licensed projects, which will tend to get lost in the overwhelming tide of licensed projects. I think the solution is to make to split the CUUSOO projects into two groups: one for projects that are based on intellectual property that would have to be licensed, and the other for projects not so burdened. Then TLG could raise the threshold necessary for the licensed projects to be considered, to something like 15,000 or 20,000, so they don't get overwhelmed with projects for every possible licensed property out there.

I'm pulling for the modular Western project! But worried that TLG will put it aside to concentrate on ponies and such. :sad:

EDIT: I just checked after posting, and the Rifter has hit 10,000.

Edited by NiceMarmot

A bid congrats to 'czar'! :sweet:

I personally didn't vote on this project, but I think the set will turn out good. :thumbup:

There may be two in one week, but I don't think that hurts either of their chances. LEGO probably has had enough foresight to have thought about what they are getting into. The next project in line to hit 10,000 besides BTTF is the Modular Western Town! I wonder how LEGO will pull that one off as a set...

Edited by reptiman

Theremay be two in one week, but I don't think that hurts either of their chances. LEGO probably has had enough foresight to have thought about what they are getting into. The next project in line to hit 10,000 besides BTTF is the Modular Western Town! I wonder how LEGO will pull that one off as a set...

I hope it doesn't hurt the chances. However, I don't especially care for all these licensed projects. I'm really cheering for the Modular Western Town.

Kind of unrelated, but reptiman, I love your Dragon Slayers Cuusoo idea! It'd be a great way to bring back castle, and I'd DEFINITELY buy some dragon sets. Great idea!

The winchester got rejected :sceptic:

http://legocuusoo.posterous.com/results-of-the-lego-review-for-the-winchester

Results of the LEGO Review for the Winchester – Shaun of the Dead project on LEGO CUUSOO

The LEGO Jury has completed the review of the Winchester - Shaun of the Dead project that hit 10,000 supporters on LEGO CUUSOO on March 31, 2012.

LEGO CUUSOO gives the opportunity to submit product ideas, however all LEGO products, regardless of age target, must be content appropriate for our core audience. With this in mind we have decided that – good though the model is – the film Shaun of the Dead contains content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11.

Long before the Winchester received mainstream media attention, Greg (Yatkuu) contacted us in earnest to see if his project was acceptable. We recognized the potential conflict, but didn’t see a reason to remove the project. The model was presented tastefully and we thought it deserved fair consideration. With 10,000 supporters, the Winchester earned the opportunity to receive the full LEGO Review.

Greg has been a pleasure to work with throughout this process. We’re impressed by his model, grateful for his constructive approach with us, and we are sad to disappoint such a devoted LEGO fan.

We appreciate the passion exhibited for new product ideas on LEGO CUUSOO. Opening ourselves to new product suggestions invites popular ideas that don’t always fit our brand. This is the first time we’ve felt that we should turn a LEGO CUUSOO idea down, but we’re grateful for the spirit behind projects like the Winchester and for the opportunity to be challenged. It keeps us sharp and looking toward the future of the LEGO brick.

That's bad news, and I feel for Yatkuu who's been working so hard on this project. I honestly can't see the problem with making it an official set, but that's obviously LEGO's privilege to decide.

I voted for it because of the building, not because of the relation to the movie. I'm sad to see that we won't even get that, and I think this is a blow for CUUSOO. Time will tell whether other projects share The Winchester's fate.

What a huge disappointment. It is far from unexpected, but... *sigh*. Yatkuu must be feeling so deflated after all that.

I wonder if he could release it as a set himself. I guess a set that size would make buying the necessary pieces a nightmare on BL.

I voted for it because of the building, not because of the relation to the movie. I'm sad to see that we won't even get that, and I think this is a blow for CUUSOO. Time will tell whether other projects share The Winchester's fate.

That's the devil of licensed projects: by releasing one TLG associates itself not only with the project but also the brand. Yatkuu's excellent build unbranded would likely have been acceptable, but without the license fans it wouldn't have garnered so many votes. Catch-22. :sad:

With the Winchester TLG/Cussoo was damned if they do damned if they don't but if people read the statement they can't really moan as they loved the idea but due to the nature of the film it was turned down. I hope this does not have a negative effect on the whole Cuusoo project as it is something I am a fan of.

I think EVE will pass the review stage and it will be interesting to see BTTF reviewed

The winchester got rejected :sceptic:

Ok, here is what I don't understand....

If Lego is going to review and decide on each model that gets the 10,000 votes and they are most certainly going to alter and change things as they see fit, why not just change the name of the Model? Like why couldn't they just call this theme "Zombie Invasion" and keep the basic idea...? I mean there is basically the same thing with the monster hunters theme... Or they just could have used this model as one of the Monster Hunter's playsets...

I can see not keeping the R-rated Shawn of the Dead name, but why scrap the whole model altogether? It would have been kind of cool to have zombie themed playsets starting with the "Zombie Tavern Rampage" or something to that effect...

I am most certain that the designer of this model would not have cared at all if the name of the model name changed to fit the Lego Target audience as long as the model actually came out...

Ok, here is what I don't understand....

If Lego is going to review and decide on each model that gets the 10,000 votes and they are most certainly going to alter and change things as they see fit, why not just change the name of the Model? Like why couldn't they just call this theme "Zombie Invasion" and keep the basic idea...? I mean there is basically the same thing with the monster hunters theme... Or they just could have used this model as one of the Monster Hunter's playsets...

I can see not keeping the R-rated Shawn of the Dead name, but why scrap the whole model altogether? It would have been kind of cool to have zombie themed playsets starting with the "Zombie Tavern Rampage" or something to that effect...

I am most certain that the designer of this model would not have cared at all if the name of the model name changed to fit the Lego Target audience as long as the model actually came out...

To an AFOL a simple name change might seem trivial, but as we saw, a large number of the votes came from non-AFOLs who were fans of the source material. Changing the name could turn these people off from purchasing the set, which means that the 10,000 supports would be more like 5,000, if not less. LEGO couldn't risk making a move that would cut demand for the set so drastically.

I wonder if some way of regulating content will be worked into the Cuusoo guidelines now. Cuusoo is still in a beta stage, after all, and this is a learning experience. But it could be hard to regulate; different countries have different rating systems, and different types of mature content could be more or less acceptable than others.

That makes sense, but in all honesty, I think when it got the huge quick boost that it did that people were just voting for it because it was "The thing to do" and had no intention of purchasing it in the future anyways...

I feel that even with the name change the model on its own will still sell. Remember market street? Not really a modular in its own right but the demand for it is tremendous. They can modify the building slightly to make it a modular building with the pub interior and add in a snooker table to great effect. As for minifigs TLG can come up with a few men and ladies having a good time. It does not necessarily have to be Simon Pegg or the cast of the Winchester. In fact it does not even need the Winchester name. A name like "Pub corner" or "Speakeasy" would do.

Yes, I admit I want the building and the pub inside. The zombies and Simon Pegg would be a nice extra for the set. :laugh:

I feel that even with the name change the model on its own will still sell. Remember market street? Not really a modular in its own right but the demand for it is tremendous. They can modify the building slightly to make it a modular building with the pub interior and add in a snooker table to great effect. As for minifigs TLG can come up with a few men and ladies having a good time. It does not necessarily have to be Simon Pegg or the cast of the Winchester. In fact it does not even need the Winchester name. A name like "Pub corner" or "Speakeasy" would do.

Yes, I admit I want the building and the pub inside. The zombies and Simon Pegg would be a nice extra for the set. :laugh:

I agree... Ok maybe 5000+ people that supported it may not buy it(which I don't know if they would have anyways) but how many 1000's of people have never seen it or know what Cuusoo even is would buy it? Probably quite a bit...

I feel that even with the name change the model on its own will still sell.

Exactly!

Issue the set as "Zombie Hotel" without the gun and the Simon Pegg fig and I bet it would sell just fine. I am sure BrickArms would be happy sell a "conversion kit" that include the fig with the rifle.