CopMike

LEGO® CUUSOO 空想 - Turn your model wishes into reality

I am giving up hope of any original AFOL MOC reaching the production stage via Cuusoo. The threshold seems to have been set too high to pass an idea without the support of an outside company or fanbase. For a product that is supposed to foster imagination and creativity, I find licensed set after licensed set deeply ironic and disappointing.

Although I agree that most CUUSOO ideas are mostly licensed, I won't give up hope that a MOC will be made. To quote President Snow from the Hunger Games, "The only thing stronger than fear, is hope."

Edited by purpleparadox

I am giving up hope of any original AFOL MOC reaching the production stage via Cuusoo.

It is hard, very hard, but the AFOL community backed Modular Western Town is still the second most supported project at the moment, so I don't think it's time to despair yet. It seems almost certain that it will reach 10 000 votes sooner or later. At least last week the western town even got a few more new votes than the BttF DeLorean ahead of it.

It is hard, very hard, but the AFOL community backed Modular Western Town is still the second most supported project at the moment, so I don't think it's time to despair yet. It seems almost certain that it will reach 10 000 votes sooner or later. At least last week the western town even got a few more new votes than the BttF DeLorean ahead of it.

I agree. We can't give up hope. This is one of the few ways we can get our voice heard. We need to turn around people's opinions to a positive view rather than a negative one.

I agree. We can't give up hope. This is one of the few ways we can get our voice heard. We need to turn around people's opinions to a positive view rather than a negative one.

I didn't want to emphasize despair as much as suggest that the threshold for product review be less stringent for original ideas than for work based on third-party intellectual property. "Connecting passion for an interest with the LEGO brick" presents an intrinsic bias toward "A Focus on Cross-Platform Licensing" rather than "A Focus on Original Work."

I didn't want to emphasize despair as much as suggest that the threshold for product review be less stringent for original ideas than for work based on third-party intellectual property. "Connecting passion for an interest with the LEGO brick" presents an intrinsic bias toward "A Focus on Cross-Platform Licensing" rather than "A Focus on Original Work."

To be fair, the licensing in the Shinkai and Hayabusa projects went toward depicting models of actual, real-world vehicles, so the licensing in that case is more akin to that of the LEGO Architecture series or the Technic Unimog than to movie or TV licenses. With MOCs, one has to vote for something which has already been constructed as opposed to a concept, in most cases; and the MOCs that are proposed often would be far outside most people's budgets (for instance, if the modular western town were made a set as is it would probably cost upwards of $200). Still, I've noticed that support on Cuusoo has tended to be magnified on proposals for licensed themes, especially since the international beta.

I'm trying to figure out how the "Shaun of the Dead" project shot up to "1st place" in a few weeks at 7200+. They were just at 500 in the beginning of March...CRAZY. I'm hoping for the Back to the Future project, I love that franchise...

I'm trying to figure out how the "Shaun of the Dead" project shot up to "1st place" in a few weeks at 7200+. They were just at 500 in the beginning of March...CRAZY. I'm hoping for the Back to the Future project, I love that franchise...

Haha, do not underestimate the geek side of the force :devil: ! This is what you get when a tidal wave of Shaun of the Dead fans hits CUUSOO!

I am confident that the BTTF or the Western are going to hit the 10k eventually. This is not a race!

I'm trying to figure out how the "Shaun of the Dead" project shot up to "1st place" in a few weeks at 7200+. They were just at 500 in the beginning of March...CRAZY.

Simon Pegg was on the Conan O'Brien show and mentioned it.

^^I'm aware it's not a race, I was just stating the positions. I'm sure the top three projects will make it to the LEGO Board...Maybe Michael J Fox or Christopher Lloyd will step up...

Edited by typo

Does anyone else see Cuusoo as an excellent means to suggest "limited release" or "promo" sets? Think about it...hmm...

Does anyone else see Cuusoo as an excellent means to suggest "limited release" or "promo" sets? Think about it...hmm...

That's what all Cuusoo sets are. :dwacko:

That's what all Cuusoo sets are. :dwacko:

I meant as in the polybag stuff, like the "May the Fourth" promos or the exclusive polybags they give out at Toyfair and Comic-con, that sort of thing. :wink:

I meant as in the polybag stuff, like the "May the Fourth" promos or the exclusive polybags they give out at Toyfair and Comic-con, that sort of thing. :wink:

Ah ok. Hmm I don't think I've seen any project like that yet. You should work one up and post it. :classic:

Well the Shaun of the dead pub model has reached 10,000 over night... Looking forward to seeing TLGs response... They've done zombies, but is a set based on a cult 15 rated movie a step too far... If so will also be interesting to see how they wriggle out of it and subsequent backlash.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7451

Haha, do not underestimate the geek side of the force :devil: ! This is what you get when a tidal wave of Shaun of the Dead fans hits CUUSOO!

I am confident that the BTTF or the Western are going to hit the 10k eventually. This is not a race!

Pretty much every idea is going to hit 10,000 supporters eventually, as long as it keeps getting supporters, no matter how occasionally. There's no time limit.

But I think BTTF especially is going to hit 10,000 within the next few weeks. :wink:

Well the Shaun of the dead pub model has reached 10,000 over night... Looking forward to seeing TLGs response... They've done zombies, but is a set based on a cult 15 rated movie a step too far... If so will also be interesting to see how they wriggle out of it and subsequent backlash.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7451

You can see TLG's response here - Zoombies shouldn't be the problem.

I would love to submit some of nnenn`s designs to cuusoo as a tribute to his eternal brilliance, may he rest in peace. But the submission rules are original works only. Any thoughts?

:classic:

I would love to submit some of nnenn`s designs to cuusoo as a tribute to his eternal brilliance, may he rest in peace. But the submission rules are original works only. Any thoughts?

:classic:

Well, you could always post an original model inspired by his own models. Perhaps a fleet of mini versions of his designs?

They already have done that.

Ever seen this?

The link tells me to browse the link via 1000steine.de or brickset.com.

So I've got no clue what you are meaning. :look:

Can't you post the pic directly?

The link tells me to browse the link via 1000steine.de or brickset.com.

So I've got no clue what you are meaning. :look:

Can't you post the pic directly?

7066-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

The shuttle is a Vic Viper, and has a sticker of a Viper head with "nnenn" written under it. Clearly an homage.

I had noticed this detail when I built it, but I didn't knew why this was written. Thanks for learning it to me ! :classic:

The My Little Pony project just got posted on Equestria Daily, an extremely prominent My Little Pony blog. Needless to say, its supporters are now going up pretty much every time I refresh the page.

On one hand, I'd love this proposal to make it to the consideration threshold, even if it doesn't get made. On the other hand, I wonder how LEGO Cuusoo will respond to a second consecutive proposal that doesn't make it through, if talks with Hasbro don't work out. The Shaun of the Dead proposal probably won't make it through due to the film's rating, but in this case to consider the proposal, TLG will have to go into talks with a major competitor. And if/when the talks fall through, TLG's own crowdsourcing platform that is Cuusoo will have essentially handed some quite significant market research to their own competitors.

The question is, how could they make a rule to prevent this sort of thing? It's not a huge risk, since few of TLG's competitors have products with such a huge adult fanbase as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. But really, expecting the proposer of a new project to check who holds the rights to a license could be absurd, and TLG probably wouldn't want to turn licenses away entirely since those are getting Cuusoo a lot of media recognition. I think the best thing for them to do would be to perhaps make a rule that they can go into talks about licensed proposals before they reach the 10,000 vote threshold, and a warning that if those talks go badly the proposal may be nipped in the bud. People would still leave feeling sore, but at least it wouldn't generate the same level of false hope as proposals like this getting to 10,000 votes and then getting axed.

But perhaps I'm just overthinking this. Perhaps not much harm will be done by turning away proposals, and it's just a dose of reality that needs to be injected into the Cuusoo platform. In the meantime, the MLP proposal has gone up by 81 supporters since I started typing this. It really makes me as an AFOL feel insignificant to see the way supporters multiply like this when projects are plugged through a popular medium. LEGO has a significant adult fanbase, but we don't rally behind unified causes with nearly this much speed. Of course, AFOLs mostly arose through LEGO fans growing older, not through LEGO products actively attracting adults in droves, so I guess AFOLs and bronies aren't quite comparable.

EDIT: And up by 33 more by the time my post was saved.

Edited by Aanchir

Another curious project is approaching 10,000. Definitely not my cup of tea, but it jumped over the Back to the Future project and the Western Town project.

I'm currently in the process of building a modular house-style Krusty Krab from SpongeBob SquarePants and I was planning on posting it to CUUSOO. Do you think it would be a good idea? You guys know that LEGO is still continuing to make SpongeBob sets.