CopMike

LEGO® CUUSOO 空想 - Turn your model wishes into reality

Now that we know Lego MineCraft will be released by Lego through the CUUSSO system, has there been any other sets that were released already. I thought I heard two other sets have been released in the past. If so what were they, or is this false.

Thanks. :classic:

Edited by The Blue Brick

Now that we know Lego MineCraft will be released by Lego through the CUUSSO system, has there been any other sets that were released already. I thought I heard two other sets have been released in the past. If so what were they, or is this false.

Two sets were chosen when Cuusoo was still restricted to Japan only: Shinkai and Hayabusa.

Cuusooing is hard. I thought I had a brainwave a came across an idea for a thing that hadn't really been handled THAT much, and has a big, cultish fanbase, and quite the massive number of fans on the Facebook, and was something I personally like quite a bit, which I was sure could be a perfect bit of kindling to start what could be a solid massing of supporters. But... how do I even get people to see the project? For some reason Facebook isn't presenting me with simple avenues of just posting the link for people to see. And how would i do that and not just look like a spammer, even if I knew what I was doing?

The internet is hard, man. Cuusoo is hard. I think I'm too old for all this social networking.

Potentially this could be good, but it really needs to incorporate some kind of advanced voting process. Amongst 1000s of projects even good ones would drown. Searching abilities and the like would need to be implemented. Categories. Estimated brick counts. Anything to make it easier to navigate.

They have said they are working on improving it, so looking forward to that. Right now I got the most out of going to the search bar and typing in NOTHING, then using the most vievew, most commented subselection buttons.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

I've been stewing over Cuusoo quite a bit lately, and I'm not sure there's a unified point among those using it. Although maybe there is, and I'm just not getting it.

Is it about advertising this one wicked model I've made, or is it about concepts and ideas for potentially interesting new directions for LEGO to take? I find myself not caring much for the licensing ideas [especially anything Star Wars related] and a lot of the really fancy models seem... silly to me. Like the Huge pirate ship that's front paged now. It's beautiful. It's a spectacular creation and a work of art. But to suggest it as a Cuusoo release is just silly, because there's no way at all it would ever be replicated, even if it got to 10,000. It would go through necessary reductions and and up as a Flagship-level boat. Which is still good, yes, but not exactly boundary-expanding.

Looking at the Minecraft experiment, and how the final product reflects Minecraft conceptually but pretty much disregarded the suggested model entirely [which, really, is exactly how Cuusoo should work in reality], I wonder how different the sub and satellite models were from suggestion to released set.

I've been stewing over Cuusoo quite a bit lately, and I'm not sure there's a unified point among those using it. Although maybe there is, and I'm just not getting it.

Is it about advertising this one wicked model I've made, or is it about concepts and ideas for potentially interesting new directions for LEGO to take? I find myself not caring much for the licensing ideas [especially anything Star Wars related] and a lot of the really fancy models seem... silly to me. Like the Huge pirate ship that's front paged now. It's beautiful. It's a spectacular creation and a work of art. But to suggest it as a Cuusoo release is just silly, because there's no way at all it would ever be replicated, even if it got to 10,000. It would go through necessary reductions and and up as a Flagship-level boat. Which is still good, yes, but not exactly boundary-expanding.

Looking at the Minecraft experiment, and how the final product reflects Minecraft conceptually but pretty much disregarded the suggested model entirely [which, really, is exactly how Cuusoo should work in reality], I wonder how different the sub and satellite models were from suggestion to released set.

I think you can still find the early concepts on CUUSOO Japan, as far as I can remember in both cases the original pitches were relatively close to the final product -- in size at least, while the style was nicely refined by the Lego designers.

You raise good questions, and I wish TLG would make clearer what they expect of CUUSOO users. Many different types of proposals are being made:

- detailed MOCs, where the designer probably expects the final product to be identical or very similar.

- theme suggestions, either licensed or freelance.

- specific products: reissues of past sets, minifig buckets, part packs, motors, etc.

I find that proposals not based on an actual MOC are not numerous -- or at least, they don't seem to attract as many votes as those supported by a build.

Perhaps the reason why TLG has not made the CUUSOO rules clearer is because themselves aren't sure how the users would rather use it? CUUSOO is still in beta, and perhaps sometime down the road a 'definitive' CUUSOO will assert its mission much more clearly -- when TLG figures out what will work best for everyone.

All good points. I always forget it's still a very young system. I find myself attracted to the more technical ideas, suggestions for zany new parts r very specialized components rather than fully-developed models, although those don't seem to build up any real following. It seems you need a license or secondary fandom to tap into to get anywhere near enough votes.

Although... that can't be true for the sub or the satellite. Are there lots of Hayabusa fansites out there?

All good points. I always forget it's still a very young system. I find myself attracted to the more technical ideas, suggestions for zany new parts r very specialized components rather than fully-developed models, although those don't seem to build up any real following. It seems you need a license or secondary fandom to tap into to get anywhere near enough votes.

Although... that can't be true for the sub or the satellite. Are there lots of Hayabusa fansites out there?

The vote threshold was a LOT lower, which probably helped. It also probably helped that the site was only out for Japan and the Japanese people are more familiar with Hayabusa than we are. :wink:

The vote threshold was a LOT lower, which probably helped. It also probably helped that the site was only out for Japan and the Japanese people are more familiar with Hayabusa than we are. :wink:

That, and if I remember correctly both the Shinkai and the Hayabusa projects were heavily supported by the employees of the agencies who commissioned the real 'vehicles'.

Anyway, here's an extract from the CUUSOO (updated) guidelines clarifying what a CUUSOO project should be. I don't think the guidelines as they stand encourage projects not supported by actual Lego builds, unless it's a new part proposal.

Projects We Allow

Here are some details on the types of projects that are welcome on LEGO CUUSOO:

• Original Projects – If you submit an original idea that you conceived yourself, it reaches 10,000 supporters, and we opt to produce it, you will receive the standard 1% royalty.
  • Projects Based on Third-Party Intellectual Property – We welcome projects based on third party intellectual property (such as movies or games). If one of these projects reaches 10,000 supporters, we will handle the necessary licensing arrangements (so don't worry about that). Like any LEGO CUUSOO project, you must provide your own original model and cannot use anyone else’s work. If we produce a product based on your project and original model, you will still receive the 1% royalty.
  • Theme-Based Projects – You are welcome to create projects to introduce a new LEGO theme or product line. (Note: We initially restricted these projects with the new Guidelines update, intending that such a rule would improve project quality by making projects more focused. However, we recognize the effort you are putting into projects like these and will instead work to help increase quality by offering our own tips and suggestions that will encourage others to support).
  • New Part or Element Projects – It is difficult to quantify up-front how many kits in which a part will be sold, and over how many years. We’ve decided it makes more sense to compensate part designs with a one-time flat fee that we determine. That fee could vary, which is why we don’t define it up-front, but it will be fair and proportionate to what the royalty would be for a LEGO set project.

Removing “Bring Back” Projects

LEGO CUUSOO is designed for you to submit your own new and original ideas to be considered as potential LEGO products. Since “bring back” projects are links to retired products the LEGO Group owns, they aren’t original or new and aren’t appropriate for CUUSOO. We will be contacting owners of “bring back” projects and removing them over the course of the next week.

Projects We Allow

Here are some details on the types of projects that are welcome on LEGO CUUSOO:

Original Projects – If you submit an original idea that you conceived yourself, it reaches 10,000 supporters, and we opt to produce it, you will receive the standard 1% royalty.

Projects Based on Third-Party Intellectual Property – We welcome projects based on third party intellectual property (such as movies or games). If one of these projects reaches 10,000 supporters, we will handle the necessary licensing arrangements (so don't worry about that). Like any LEGO CUUSOO project, you must provide your own original model and cannot use anyone else’s work. If we produce a product based on your project and original model, you will still receive the 1% royalty.

Theme-Based Projects – You are welcome to create projects to introduce a new LEGO theme or product line. (Note: We initially restricted these projects with the new Guidelines update, intending that such a rule would improve project quality by making projects more focused. However, we recognize the effort you are putting into projects like these and will instead work to help increase quality by offering our own tips and suggestions that will encourage others to support).

New Part or Element Projects – It is difficult to quantify up-front how many kits in which a part will be sold, and over how many years. We’ve decided it makes more sense to compensate part designs with a one-time flat fee that we determine. That fee could vary, which is why we don’t define it up-front, but it will be fair and proportionate to what the royalty would be for a LEGO set project.

Removing “Bring Back” Projects

LEGO CUUSOO is designed for you to submit your own new and original ideas to be considered as potential LEGO products. Since “bring back” projects are links to retired products the LEGO Group owns, they aren’t original or new and aren’t appropriate for CUUSOO. We will be contacting owners of “bring back” projects and removing them over the course of the next week.

:sweet::thumbup: :thumbup: YES. I heartily approve these changes!

Now I think I might get around to uploading some project ideas. Cuusoo seems to have its act (mostly) together, and the folks behind it seem to be reasonably competent and on the level, so I feel fairly safe about uploading some things. :wink:

I've come to the conclusion that on Cuusoo there should either be a sub-site devoted just to Star Wars ideas [or what pass for them over there], OR they should all be scrapped entirely. Most of them are literally junky repetitions of each other, and all of them are generally redundant because the license is already there, so what's the point?

It makes it hard to stay interested in searching through new ideas when 90% of them are boxes of clones.

Edited by IAmWillGibson

It makes it hard to stay interested in searching through new ideas when 90% of them are boxes of clones.

:hmpf:

Not even 10% of the ideas on there are "boxes of clones", but even less of the total ideas are actually good, and only about 20% or so of the good ideas even make it over 500 votes. :cry_sad:

The two ideas I think would be best poised to get 10,000 would have to be BTTF: DeLorian Time Machine and LEGO Legend of Zelda, both of which were masterfully done by the respective creators of the projects. :wub:

marshall_banana's Modular Western Town is looking like it'll be getting 10,000 soon too.

Sorry for the creative use of hyperbole. I'll add a smiley next time to avoid confusion.

In any case, the new projects page 1 right now is still showing 7 out of 24 suggestions being some variation of a Clone battle pack. That's ridiculous.

I just added a new topic on the CUUSOO Community Support page, and one of the words I put in my subject was "CUUSOO". Then a little bit of copy appeared saying "EASE UP ON THE ALL CAPS IN YOUR TITLE. It looks like you're shouting."

That'll learn me for for being brand-aware ;O) hee hee

Anybody else notice that the number one most popular comment on MOCs in this forum lately seems to be "This should be on Cuusoo" (often followed by "I'd totally buy it")? I'm getting a bit tired of it, to be honest...

I think it's wonderful that CUUSOO is welcoming and even promoting new piece designs on the site. Unfortunately the system wasn't designed for pieces - for example when supporting a project the minimum amount you can suggest to spend is US$1, so I end up adding a note about how many of the pieces I expect for $1! But I reckon they will address things like this in alpha.

I also think the 10k target is unfair for pieces. Sure they are a new mould, but is that as significant an investment as a new set (especially seeing as most popular ones seem to involve licensing)?

CUUSOO also need to address royalties on new pieces. Currently it just says it will be at LEGO's discretion to decide the amount. I'm sure they'd be fair, but it's not much of an incentive.

I will now restrain myself from spamming this thread with my CUUSOO new part design default_laugh_new.gif

This proposal is one of the most curious ones I've chosen to support, because it's one of the only ones that's both likely to reach the support threshold and unlikely to make it past the review stage. It'd be a miracle if it actually got made, since TLG and Hasbro are fierce competitors, but even if it gets turned down it'll be interesting to see how TLG reacts to a popular proposal with such serious roadblocks in the review stage.

My twin brother suggests that it might work better if made as a Duplo product, since to my knowledge Hasbro does not have any preschool building toy of their own.

Even if it fails, perhaps it'll send a message to Hasbro to step up their game when it comes to their Kre-O products. Even in a non-pony theme, figures that don't look as disturbing as the Kreon designs would be an all-around good thing.

This proposal is one of the most curious ones I've chosen to support, because it's one of the only ones that's both likely to reach the support threshold and unlikely to make it past the review stage. It'd be a miracle if it actually got made, since TLG and Hasbro are fierce competitors, but even if it gets turned down it'll be interesting to see how TLG reacts to a popular proposal with such serious roadblocks in the review stage.

My twin brother suggests that it might work better if made as a Duplo product, since to my knowledge Hasbro does not have any preschool building toy of their own.

Even if it fails, perhaps it'll send a message to Hasbro to step up their game when it comes to their Kre-O products. Even in a non-pony theme, figures that don't look as disturbing as the Kreon designs would be an all-around good thing.

I think it will be interesting if it gets to 10,000 votes because I think it will be very hard for LEGO to get a contract with Hasbro considering they can't get one for the Battle of Hoth board game.

My problem is that I grew up with the old My Little Pony and these new ones just look anorexic to me. They're obviously influenced by Japanese anime with those large round eyes and while there's nothing wrong with that, I just love the classic ponies I grew up with the most. It's the nostalgia thing that's very irrational and makes no sense most of the time. If I could get over that, I'm sure I'd like the new ponies just fine :wink:

I think it will be interesting if it gets to 10,000 votes because I think it will be very hard for LEGO to get a contract with Hasbro considering they can't get one for the Battle of Hoth board game.

My problem is that I grew up with the old My Little Pony and these new ones just look anorexic to me. They're obviously influenced by Japanese anime with those large round eyes and while there's nothing wrong with that, I just love the classic ponies I grew up with the most. It's the nostalgia thing that's very irrational and makes no sense most of the time. If I could get over that, I'm sure I'd like the new ponies just fine :wink:

Oh, you'll get used to it. By the time you get used to it, you will automatically become a pegisister. Brohoof!

I agree. It would be hard for LEGO to get hold of such a license. But if they can do it, I see no problem.

Oh, you'll get used to it. By the time you get used to it, you will automatically become a pegisister. Brohoof!

I agree. It would be hard for LEGO to get hold of such a license. But if they can do it, I see no problem.

I posited that one way LEGO could potentially reach a licensing agreement with Hasbro is cross-licensing. LEGO licenses the minifigure design out to many other companies for things like the key lights and minifig clocks. What if LEGO and Hasbro could facilitate an exchange where LEGO got to make sets based on a Hasbro property, and Hasbro got to produce non-building-toy LEGO-branded products? Perhaps they could make larger minifig "Action Figures" with a range of motion similar to the figs in the LEGO video games.

I know LEGO has never done anything like that before. But it's not outside the realm of possibility; it just depends on what lengths LEGO is willing to go to to facilitate making a Cuusoo proposal into reality. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this project; if it reaches the required number of supporters, would it become the first project to reach the review stage and get rejected? Or would LEGO surprise us all and find a way to make it work?

This is the single most exciting idea I've ever seen on Cuusoo. I LOVE music, and I'm a pianist myself, so this was a REALLY cool idea.

Piano

I love the idea of all the different colours and styles of pianos, and those minifigs are beautiful! :drool::wub:

This is a must-see for all music/lego lovers, and even if you're not a huge musician, check it out, and please support it! I would LOVE this series! Anybody else have thoughts or comments on Hidaka's idea?

That, and if I remember correctly both the Shinkai and the Hayabusa projects were heavily supported by the employees of the agencies who commissioned the real 'vehicles'.

I am giving up hope of any original AFOL MOC reaching the production stage via Cuusoo. The threshold seems to have been set too high to pass an idea without the support of an outside company or fanbase. For a product that is supposed to foster imagination and creativity, I find licensed set after licensed set deeply ironic and disappointing.