Derfel Cadarn

A Guide to building a Medieval Village

The first few pics that I've seen of your stuff looked realy good. Your houses looked nice but now they all look the same those boats are horrible. "One trick pony" do something else. :thumbdown:

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, there is something to be said for tact. Opinions are best expressed with a bit of construct. Being rude will not make you any friends around here and nobody is guaranteed continued membership. Please do your best to improve your attitude. Thank you.

Great guide Derfel! And thanks much for taking your time to write up on this matter. You are a true inspiration to me and I love your medieval themed houses! I must admit that I have taken a lot of inspiration from your fantastic builds and I'm always looking forward to see what your next mocs will be like.

By the way people - Read this article on wikipedia regarding forum trolls before you decide to waste any time and energy on them :P

They lose their power as soon as they are ignored and no one allows to be provoked!

Hi mr Derfel CarDarn. I really want to thank you for opening such a great thread. It must have taken you a lot of time and effort. I have learnt a lot from you. Thanks a lot!

Ignore what other opinion others might have, you are doing a great job.

The first few pics that I've seen of your stuff look realy good. Your houses look nice they all look so awesome those boats are great. cant wait to see something else. :thumbup:

This is a great example of the kind of threads that captivate me. Love to see how a MOC expert works on a creation. Good luck on the guide! On a side note, I suggest linking the the other thread to this one.

Really enjoyed the first chapter, thanks for taking the time to show us your secrets Derfel, it's greatly appreciated. :classic:

wow, some awesome stuff in your other thread - really interesting techniques for the roof.

Thank you all for you kind words, interest and feedback.

The next step of the guide is now up.

Thanks

DC

Thank you all for you kind words, interest and feedback.

The next step of the guide is now up.

Thanks

DC

I must be missing something. Where are you posting the guides?

Thanks for doing this, it's an excellent tutorial and I can't wait to see the next installment.

I've always loved your builds but trying out the techniques last night increased my admiration tenfold, I never realized just how clever and complex it was.

Maybe the tutorial thread should be indexed like the CGH ship one?

I must be missing something. Where are you posting the guides?

The guide can be found here.

Thanks for separating the guide and comments, Derfel. Looks like I will have to order a lot more plant pieces in the near future. :classic:

This next part looks amazing. The water is very convincing and so is the foliage. However, with all those plants covering the riverbanks I wonder if you need to bother with the mix of earthy colours underneath?

Looking sensational so far Derfel. I have linked each topic to the other in the first post of each.

Keep it coming, the river bank design is beautiful!

thank you Derfel to show us how you do it.

I was looking for a topic like that for a long time!

will keep a close eye on this topic!

and so far so good!

Thanks all

This next part looks amazing. The water is very convincing and so is the foliage. However, with all those plants covering the riverbanks I wonder if you need to bother with the mix of earthy colours underneath?

Thats an interesting point, and for those that need to save on plates, you don't need to bother as they are covered by the plants. The reason I did this though, was to show the different colours of landscaping and hows its done around the stream and for those that use less plant pieces.

Looking sensational so far Derfel. I have linked each topic to the other in the first post of each.

Keep it coming, the river bank design is beautiful!

Cheers mate, I need to look into my computer knowlwdge of all these things :classic:

Thanks

DC

Some really nice techniques used here. A couple I haven't seen and used before so I am surely going to give them a try.

The basic foundations is a technique I have used since I was a kid. It makes it easier to elevate your buildings or

to give the contruction extra strength where needed. Also you can hide your powerlines and motors in it.

Can't wait to see more so keep it up.

The fact that you are sharing your techniques in this manner is telling us a lot about the man behind these awesome creations. I take my hat off to you sir.

Thanks a lot to share your buildings technics Derfel !

Really love the effect of the trans blue plate above the blue tiles for the river !

I've also seen that you used baseplate above your first tecnic bar line, certainly more easy to dismenteled ?

To moderator : thanks to delet this message

Derfel, this guide is really amazing. I'm fan of your MOCs and you give a chance to improve our MOC's with this guide.

Thank you.

Why do you use tiles under the transparent plates? Would it look worse if you had plates instead?

Thanks for the guides. They are great :classic: