Derfel Cadarn

A Guide to building a Medieval Village

Derfel, could you post a pic of the building with the roof off so we can see the inside and under the roof?

I could do, but this particular building is part of a display and the inside is empty anyway, the only bit of interior is where you can see into the doors. That's all it needs for the dispay. As to how its built, i show step by step pictures during every building of the village, so you will see how its all done and what goes in there.

DC

Derfel, could you post a pic of the building with the roof off so we can see the inside and under the roof?

That is indeed a great question. I always try to make both the inside as the outside of a house so nice as possible. Sometimes the focus is more on the outside, sometimes more on the inside. I do would like to know what your creations look like on the inside since you often work with complicated techniques.

That is indeed a great question. I always try to make both the inside as the outside of a house so nice as possible. Sometimes the focus is more on the outside, sometimes more on the inside. I do would like to know what your creations look like on the inside since you often work with complicated techniques.

Well, when it comes to interiors, I usually just do what is needed. If im making a large stand alone building without a back section so you can see in, then i will add an interior. Usually, for large villages with complet walled houses, i will just add a small bit of interior to what ever inside area can be seen. So if I build a house with its doors open, I will detail the space of area that can be seen through the doors. I also do a bit just inside the window. Thats all it needs really, as the main aim of a large village is really the outside and all the goings on with Knights and civilians. You wont really have the need to keep reaching over your moc to lift off a roof from a one of your houses to see in. But, feel free to add an interiour to any of the buildings that I will cover in this guide. Like you say, some techniques do leave the inside looking messy.

Derfel, about how many round plates do you use on a large building? I need to know how many I should order.

Well, thats hard to say, as its a pretty big amount. The way to do it is to order the same amount of light grey and dark grey, then order half that amount in brown and black. This is because the greys make up the bulk of the colour and the brown and black are added in here and there. You can also add a few other colours like tan and sand green, which work very well as lichen and moss. I used to order 200 of each grey and 100 brown and black each month. That way, within a few months I had a large collection. Its really down to what you can afford, and having to choose between buying parts and buying sets. I would see sets that I wanted and had to say to myself 'I either buy this and have a few parts i'll use, or spend the money on a big order of 1x1 rounds and build lots of houses'. It might seem a boring order, but its worth it in the long run.

This is a really great idea for a topic, with a brill first post - I'm looking forward to learning a lot from someone who makes MOCs that I admire so much. Thank you. :thumbup:

Nice first write-up. I hadn't thought of different shades of green beneath trees and near rivers. Buying the great amounts of 1x1 round plates you have is indeed worth it, you've managed to create a very distinctive style which I adore. Can't wait to see the river and water mill, coincidentally a building that's also next on my list. :sweet:

Really nice start there! My only wish is that your chapters should be in an own thread and all the praise and feedback in another. That way it doesn´t get so messy readning your great Guide!

This is an excellent thread, and i do agree with De Gothia, maybe once a few stages have been done we can seperate the past lessons into a guide or stickied thread of its own or something,

anyway, fantastic for sharing these tips with everyone, a great idea, thanks again!

This is an excellent thread, and i do agree with De Gothia, maybe once a few stages have been done we can seperate the past lessons into a guide or stickied thread of its own or something,

Or, put links to the posts with chapters and lessons to the first post in the topic. That way it would be easy to find without clogging the forum with a lot of topic :wink:

Interesting write-up, makes me eager to read and follow the progress of the village. Maybe i'll even try and build as well if I have time!

I also think the lessons should be separated into its own topic, and comments/praise into another.

Can't wait for the next lesson! :classic:

Right, well i've been taking in some of your points on spitting this guide into 2 threads. I have to agree it is probably the best way as it will be far easy to follow without peoples comments and questions. So this thread can be for any questions and comments that you have.

I have started the first stage and I will be ready to post the first part tomorro evening. Im a pretty quick builder, so I should be covering the water mill during the weekend as well. I will start a new post tomorro which will be just for the guide only. So remember that any questions you have, to post them in this thread please.

Thanks all, we will get the ball rolling tomorro!

DC

I echo the sentiment of thanks already posted. This will be a big help to legions of us aspiring castle builders!

I have a question on your 1x1 round plate construction style. How sturdy is it? It seems like you could easily collapse the stone walls while building if not extremely careful.

The first few pics that I've seen of your stuff look realy good. Your houses look nice they all look so awesome those boats are great. cant wait to see something else. :thumbup:

Edited by Rolltron

The first few pics that I've seen of your stuff looked realy good. Your houses looked nice but now they all look the same those boats are horrible. "One trick pony" do something else. :thumbdown:

Whoa man, take it easy! :wacko:

Derfel is a pioneer and one of the best MOC'ers around, I don't see why you should bash him like this for trying to showcase how he makes his models. Perhaps building in a consistent style is not your ideal but what he's done is consistently build up and revolutionize how Lego castle MOC's look. His techniques with textures, rooflines, scenery and nature effects are a marvel and I respect him tremendously for having invented and utilized his own style that is instantly recognizable and appealing. :sceptic:

As far as his "boats" I assume you mean the galleons which are wonderfully scaled, shaped and detailed. To call them horrible is blatant disregard for aesthetics.

I advise that you reconsider the notion of mocking people for their building efforts; if you don't like someone's style I say don't comment on it and go about your day, or better yet build a better version yourself and then say: "There, my houses and ships are more-appealing than yours" But seriously, come on... :hmpf_bad:

I agree with the previous poster. Until you show off your vast array of unique and never repetitous MOC's, and give back to the community by sharing your techniques and tricks in detail by writing tutorials such as this, it's probably best to stick with "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

One thing I have quickly learned is that the LEGO community is about the friendliest group I've even been a part of. Leave your negativity at the door, please. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Yucca Patrol

The first few pics that I've seen of your stuff looked realy good. Your houses looked nice but now they all look the same those boats are horrible. "One trick pony" do something else. :thumbdown:

Well Mr Rolltron, you are entitled to your own opinion. Yes, a lot of my houses do look the same, it kind of happens when you build medieval mocs. What would you prefer to see in a medieval built house? Rather then stone walls and half timber sections, should I build them out of different colour trans pieces? Or perhaps add some wings and wheels to really spice them up? Everyone builds in there own styles with there own prefered techniques, as I like to build historic mocs I usually stick with my particular style for buildings. Lots of people build medieval buildings and its hard to build without it looking similar to others. Unless we delve into the fantasy side of things, there isn't to much we can do with medieval houses because they were pretty much the all the same type of build and look. Its not about being a 'one trick pony', I assure you this pony has plenty of tricks! Do not think that if I were to build a spaceship I would build it out of 1x1 rounds! No, that is just how I like to build historic mocs, which happens to be my favourite type of themes. I have both space and train mocs planned which will be built in an entirly different way to my medieval builds. As for my ships, I will start by saying that ships are not the easiest thing to make, there are a lot of angles and curves which can be difficult and rigging them and making and sowing sails is not easy either. I have not been making ships long so im still learning. Im sorry to dissapoint, you obviously have a high standard of moccing, perhaps you could share some of your mocs? Hopefully one day I can build something that impresses you :classic:

Whoa man, take it easy! :wacko:

Derfel is a pioneer and one of the best MOC'ers around, I don't see why you should bash him like this for trying to showcase how he makes his models. Perhaps building in a consistent style is not your ideal but what he's done is consistently build up and revolutionize how Lego castle MOC's look. His techniques with textures, rooflines, scenery and nature effects are a marvel and I respect him tremendously for having invented and utilized his own style that is instantly recognizable and appealing. :sceptic:

As far as his "boats" I assume you mean the galleons which are wonderfully scaled, shaped and detailed. To call them horrible is blatant disregard for aesthetics.

I advise that you reconsider the notion of mocking people for their building efforts; if you don't like someone's style I say don't comment on it and go about your day, or better yet build a better version yourself and then say: "There, my houses and ships are more-appealing than yours" But seriously, come on... :hmpf_bad:

Thank you, thats nice to hear, and I must note that your sentiment of having 'your own style' aplies to you also, as you are a builder ive seen come on in leaps and bounds this year with some great mocs with which you have created a recognizable style of your own, with buildings, base and great mini-fig designs. Keep it up!

I agree with the previous poster. Until you show off your vast array of unique and never repetitous MOC's, and give back to the community by sharing your techniques and tricks in detail by writing tutorials such as this, it's probably best to stick with "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

One thing I have quickly learned is that the LEGO community is about the friendliest group I've even been a part of. Leave your negativity at the door, please. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks, I guess you cant please everyone, but a forum needs its critics I suppose :classic:

Edited by Derfel Cardarn

A forum needs indeed its critics, how would we become better builders if no one points out where things could be better? But that's certainly not how to give decent critique. It doesn't even make sense. Derfel Cardarn developed his own unique style you recognize in all of his buildings. But they still are all very different, using a variety of building techniques with different looks on all of them. Only a handful of builders manage to do that.

Anyway, I hope to see the next write-up very soon!

A suggestion, friend: If you decide to publicly critique be prepared to have your comment critiqued. And I applaud the people who have responded for using more tact and grace towards you than you did towards our OP.

I am not familiar with any of your MOCs Rolltron.

I am not aware of any of them having been posted on the front pages of Eurobricks.

If you don't like what's on offer, please don't bother with downing what is a very positive initiative from someone who has created some simply AWESOME models. You're entitled not to like, but until you've wowed us with you creative genius, please keep your opinions to yourself.

put up, or shut up.

Wow. Jealous much?

This is a great idea Derfel, I always try to get a look at some of your techniques to figure out exactly how you did some of these crazy things... now I won't have to work so hard.

We use some very similar styles for the houses, but I am not much of a landscaper. I hope your coverage of that will greatly help when I finally get around to throwing down some grass on a MOC!

Great first chapter Derfel!! Some great things to remember and this was only the basics as you call it! :sweet::blush:

And I don´t even bother to comment Rolltron...