Derfel Cadarn

A Guide to building a Medieval Village

as soon as I started building up my supply of 1x1 round plates, now I realize I need to get hundreds more 1x1 bricks with studs on the side and a crap load more 1x2 tiles

thanks for breaking my budget :wink:

I am in awe...

1. You are simply amazing at building with LEGO. AMAZING I tell you

2. You selflessly share your techniques with the rest of us

3. That is the most excellent round tower I have ever seen built in LEGO

Great guide I will be sure and use this as a reference often. :thumbup:

Edited by Macoco

I am always impressed with you. Not only you possess fantastic skills and an insane number of parts as you create new and great techniques… Imo this round walls technique you invented is fairly the limits of lego in what concerns roundness, and you reached it! default_thumbup.gif What is even more surprising is that you take time for sharing your amazing building process with us common mortals instead of using it for yourself. I cannot express in words my admiration for you.

Fantastic as usual. Everyone wants to make cool round towers now.

Can I ask why you use three 1x1 round plates instead of a single 1x1 round brick? Is it for aesthetic reasons (which I cannot really appreciate in the picture) or perhaps you just have tons of them from doing your other buildings. :)

Hi!

First of all congrats to this awesome guide and these awesome buildings! Thanks a lot for sharing your tricks and techniques. I really appreciate that!

I just have one question for you:

What do you recommend for getting all the bricks needed? I only know Pick a Brick, but they lack many important parts like the grey hinge plates or grey 1x1 with studs. What the best way to get these in higher quantity?

Thanks in advance!

Mephistopheles

Hi!

First of all congrats to this awesome guide and these awesome buildings! Thanks a lot for sharing your tricks and techniques. I really appreciate that!

I just have one question for you:

What do you recommend for getting all the bricks needed? I only know Pick a Brick, but they lack many important parts like the grey hinge plates or grey 1x1 with studs. What the best way to get these in higher quantity?

Thanks in advance!

Mephistopheles

Go check out Bricklink.com :) - but be careful, it's addictive

Thanks, Derfel Cadarn, this is really useful.

And I would like to post this, as well: :wall:

I'm really enjoying reading the guide. I'm having a hard time find the slopes used on the railing. Bricklink doesn't list a dark gray slope for part number 54200. What is the part number for the 1x1 slopes/wedges used on the bridge railings?

6235048425_2951bc32ca.jpg

I'm really enjoying reading the guide. I'm having a hard time find the slopes used on the railing. Bricklink doesn't list a dark gray slope for part number 54200. What is the part number for the 1x1 slopes/wedges used on the bridge railings?

Here you go: Bricklink

The reason you didn't find dark gray cheese slopes are that they don't exist, lego changed their gray colors in 2003-2004 from the old dark gray to the new dark bluish gray, and the cheese slope was introduced after this color change.

Edited by fyrmedhatt

The reason you didn't find dark gray cheese slopes are that they don't exist, lego changed their gray colors in 2003-2004 from the old dark gray to the new dark bluish gray, and the cheese slope was introduced after this color change.

Thanks for the information. Makes sense now; the guide referred to "dark grey" so that's what I was looking for.

Cheers

Rich

Thank you for the guide.

I will be using some of your advice when building my own diorama. I wish I could get hold of some clear plates for my streams. Not to worry I have plenty of time until I will need them so I'll keep searching for them.

Derfel Cadarn,

an absolutely brilliant guide; so much so that I registered on these forums just to say so. Thank you for sharing your techniques with us and producing something so amazing.

This is a huge ask but after spending the past two hours trying to catalogue each of the pieces used in your MOC in the hope of gathering together such an assortment for my own first ever attempt at a Medieval MoC and failing miserably due to the level of detail involved. Could you possibly create a list of the pieces used for the initial part of the project; the stream and vegetation around it please? It's just to give me an idea of what to look out for when visiting Pick-a-brick walls, bricklink etc.

Thanks for even taking the time to read this, I appreciate it.

Dark Pegasus

Edited by Dark_Pegasus

Hi,

I only recently discovered your amazing guide. It's wonderful to learn so many ways of building!

Thank you so much for just so much more pleasure in building :)

When I started of trying to build my own house, I found it hard to build the walls

with all the tiles, as you suggested. Not only do I not have that many tiles,

but I found it hard to pack all the tiles.

It only took a few minutes to build up the walls in a similar way,

using plates instead of tiles:

building a stack with 4 plates, topping it off with a tile

gives the same impression as putting all the tiles together.

Off course you need to use 9 plates + tile to cover the broader areas.

This is a pretty way to save on tiles and has the advantage of much more sturdier walls.

Hope you like the suggestion.

And now I'm going to build like crazy :)

Daan Bargerbos / The Flying Dutchman / Debarg

So Happy that this Thread was brought back to life! The inspiration to build after seeing this awesome work really gets the blood pumping

Please DC continue this Awesome Thread!

I would Love to see what you have come up with since last posting any tips... no small tip will go unnoticed with these eyes eagerly awaiting any kind of update!

A part 2 will be on its way this year. It will be more of a 'Medieval Builder's Handbook' type thing. Lots of new tips and techniques.

Many thanks

DC

A part 2 will be on its way this year. It will be more of a 'Medieval Builder's Handbook' type thing. Lots of new tips and techniques.

Many thanks

DC

Many thanks for this DC!

I know a lot of us are really looking forward to this! So good to know you are taking the time to share more tips with us. Its greatly appreciated.

I have always wondered about some of these advanced building techniques, and after reading this guide I feel like I finally have a grasp on them. Thanks for posting all of this info.

Keeping a PDF of this thread would probably be a good thing…