Sign in to follow this  
El Bucanero

Pirate Schooner the Red Peril

th_indexed.gif 29b

The sloop Red Peril has been rebuild to schooner! As long as I haven't got another name she remains the Red Peril. There is only pic of it now enjoy....

dsc02056.jpg

Mr Tiber

Will you be posting more pictures at a later date or should we begin commenting on it based solely on the picture you've provided?

Good night Mr Tiber! Well actually, it could well be day where you are by now. I shall reserve my comments until I've seen more pictures, but judging by this one image The Red Peril look quite good.

Who is the captain of this splendid vessel?

Excellent work Mr Tiber! Although dsc02059.jpg seems to be a bit blurry, so I suspect you accidentally moved when taking the picture.

One thing I'm wondering though, this is not meant to be a complaint but I would like to know...

I notice some of you guys have really big pictures. I have a 20.1"/51cm widescreen monitor or 1680 x 1050 pixsels (which is by no means tiny) and these images are too big for, so what I'm wondering is why you have such big images?

The disadvantages:

1. They are too big to be posted in the thread which is a bit incovenient when someone wants to reference a particular picture.
  2. They don't fit within the resolution of the screen. Like I said I'm on 1680 x 1050 but there maybe some people out there with 800 x 600.
  3. They take longer to download. Ok, so maybe some of us have really fast Internet connections and they just appear. I've only got 512K and that's a bit slow but someone on dialup is going to be waiting 20 images per image.

If you don't have a program to resize them (which seems strange because Windows has MS Paint and there are free programs that can be downloaded) can't the camera settings be changed to take smaller images?

Once again that question isn't meant to be a complaint, I'm just wondering the need for such large images. 800 x 600 is usually sufficient unless the MOC is a gigantic scene or something like that.

No need to be sorry Mr Tiber I was just wondering. Although it will probably help you in the long run because the images will be easier to use because they'll be able to fit in the thread and they'll be faster to transfer for those who have slower Internet connections.

As far as I'm aware most digital cameras give you the option to select the size of the image it takes. So I'd recommend a size of 800 x 600 which is 0.4 Megapixels. Now this may not seem much but we must remember Megapixels don't determine the quality of the image, rather they determine the size of the image in pixels. So if you don't want to resize or edit the images in any way then perhaps setting the camera as low as would suffice, so long as you set the quality to "super fine" or whatever the highest setting is called.

A good and free program to resize pictures can be downloaded from http://www.irfanview.com/ .

The good thing about it (besides that its freeware) is that it can resize pictures in a batch.

Meaning that you can just take your picts and resize them all at once.

This way you can leave your camera at the standard size and resolution.

Well, I also like the ship :-).

Does the captain have a custom torso?

I've never seen this before and it looks very good.

B.

I another popular freeware image editor is called GIMP and here's its official website. I'm not sure if it has a batch resize option because I've been using other programs that have that feature so I've never really needed to look into GIMP, but it can still do manual resizing.

I'm gonna download and test out IrfanView...

D'oh, this thread flew right over my head! Mr. Tiber, your latest effort is fine indeed! The bow area is nicely constructed. I see a +4 mast is used for the bowsprit. Why is the pirate with the red rags holding a musket? Judging by the way they're surrounding the captain I'd guess that a mutiny is in progress! ;-) Or it very well could be a friendly discussion of some sort...

nice ship. but to me it look like the fore mast is leaning a bot forward, is that true and if is it for some purpose or just that you have mountet a little "wrong" if i can call it that.

by the way, the sails. what are they made from. look custom made to me. but i want them look great :-D