I Scream Clone

New Lego 10223 Kingdoms Joust Exclusive

Not a review but here are my impressions after building it last night:

I have to say the pictures don't do it justice - the completed set is one of the most beautiful you'll ever see.

The best bit of the build was definitely the twin towers and large archway behind the joust proper - so much attention to detail, interesting build techniques and new (to me) and interesting pieces. I have to say that if you are into castle MOCing you won't be disappointed with the parts selection on offer in this set!

The minifig selection is a bit of a let-down - the only new figures are the nobleman and princess (although I have to admit the princess is gorgeous), all the others are repeats from other sets. The Falcon knight's armour, shield and barding are new, but his torso/leg prints are just the same as the Dragon Knights from the rest of the Kingdom's line. There's also an interesting smattering of accessories so I got a couple of printed tiles I haven't had before, plus a bread stick, cherrries, a book etc etc

I think it is important to note that this set is designed for display - there are no play features at all (although my son was quite happy this morning to have the Lion knight roundly beat the Falcon Knight and imprison him in the attic of one of the towers). Also, while the interiors of the main building have some furniture and other detailing, looking sideways you are literally only getting half a building - you will need two sets if you want to have a fully enclosed structure viewable from 360 degrees. If you're like me, and just plan to display it on a bookshelf, you won't have any problems as it will only be viewable from one direction and that looks great.

Overall I give this two thumbs up - it's great whether or not you want to build it and display it or utilise the parts for your own castle creations. I guess if I want to nitpick, I would probably say for a "joust" set the main and best part of the build is basically a castle wall. A few more things actually related to jousting would have been appreciated (eg weapon/armour racks, additional stands, squires for the competing knights etc). Also there's not much of a crowd watching - but that can easily be fixed with a few peasants from the MVR or MMV. Finally, the King's Carriage won't fit under the archway so you still can't make a grand entrance without some MODing(although at least mounted knights will, unlike in the King's Castle set).

yeah I agree a great set, but I feel like something is missing. The gate is odd I think. I would have like to have seen a market type area, stands, a battle pit, squires and more peasants. However I think the entire set it is great. Not better than MMV or even MVR though. I do wish they had given the Falcon Knight new torso, leg and head printing. Only the helm, armor and shield are new, lack of attention to detail something TLG used to pride itself on is lacking here.

So wait, you're telling me there are no flick-fire missiles in this joust set? :tongue:

I like how the build looks and I'm sure it will be fun. I don't know if I can bring myself to buy it right away with only a few new pieces. Not when there is other stuff on my plate.

But that new Falcon is cool.

I don't know if I can bring myself to buy it right away with only a few new pieces.

There were actually a few new blay pieces I haven't seen before used in the archway, a good assortment of bright red roofing pieces and if you are into SNOT building, plenty of bricks with side studs and narrow tile pieces.

As I said, I think this set is going to be really valued by Castle MOCers.

yeah I agree a great set, but I feel like something is missing. The gate is odd I think. I would have like to have seen a market type area, stands, a battle pit, squires and more peasants. However I think the entire set it is great. Not better than MMV or even MVR though. I do wish they had given the Falcon Knight new torso, leg and head printing. Only the helm, armor and shield are new, lack of attention to detail something TLG used to pride itself on is lacking here.

If they added all that stuff you listed, we'd be seeing a price tag of $200+, easy. There's always something to add to any set out there, or something they could've done this way and that. If they made the perfect set, people would be complaining about how expensive it is. I'm happy with what we got for that price.

I got the set yesterday and am planning to do a review tomorrow. I must say I was expecting to be disappointed as we all have seen the pictures of the set already, but when I was building the set, I was very much surprised by how much I loved building it.

I got the set yesterday and am planning to do a review tomorrow. I must say I was expecting to be disappointed as we all have seen the pictures of the set already, but when I was building the set, I was very much surprised by how much I loved building it.

Great! You will probably be the new hero of this thread! :laugh:

KristofBD

Thanks in advance for the review. :thumbup:

And yeah, he is going to be kind of a heroe. :laugh:

KristofBD

Thanks in advance for the review. :thumbup:

And yeah, he is going to be kind of a heroe. :laugh:

Ditto! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ooh - if possible, could you provide pictures of it next to the MMV? I've flicked through a few reviews but this is what I'm most interested in seeing. If you can deliver that, you will indeed be my hero.

Thanks guys, I'm currently taking the pictures and tweaking them. It'll probably still take me a few more hours/day, but I'll start the review anyway.

Ooh - if possible, could you provide pictures of it next to the MMV? I've flicked through a few reviews but this is what I'm most interested in seeing. If you can deliver that, you will indeed be my hero.

I am indeed planning on taking a few comparative shots. First I'll start with the normal set and afterwards I'll compare it to the castle (set nr. 7946) and the MMV.

Edited by KristofBD

I didn't even think to add this with it, what a great idea! It would be the ultimate super set of Castle. :tongue:

I didn't even think to add this with it, what a great idea! It would be the ultimate super set of Castle. :tongue:

Yep, I actually have the idea it fits the MMV better than the Kingdoms castle. Even the colour scheme suggests this is the way LEGO meant you to use it (blue sidebuilding)

Yep, I actually have the idea it fits the MMV better than the Kingdoms castle. Even the colour scheme suggests this is the way LEGO meant you to use it (blue sidebuilding)

I did think of MMV when I saw that little shack. I guess I had a brain fart or something cause I didn't think to put the two together... :hmpf:

Anyone who has both, let's see some different configurations of the castle and joust wall together, pretty please. :grin:

20120109154418.jpg

This is my combination of 1 x 7946 King's Castle and 2x 10223 Kingdoms Joust. The second stand has the Prince and Princess, but they got obscured.

20120109155608.jpg

A view of rear showing the village composed of 7189 Mill Village Raid, 6918 Blacksmith Attack, 10193 Medieval Village Market and others. The shade of blue brick is slightly different between 10193 and 10223.

20120109155402.jpg

The opposition Dragon Knights are not impressed.

Hmm, they don't seem to mix that well. Which is not really surprising taking into account that the Joust is a big gatehouse.

Thanks a lot for the pics, WallyThe Cat! Appreciated!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yes. Doesn't look half bad. I like your little set up.

Hey whats the deal with this set, do you have to buy it from lego.com or can you also get it at lego stores and toys r us?

Hey whats the deal with this set, do you have to buy it from lego.com or can you also get it at lego stores and toys r us?

LEGO stores only. It's an exclusive. I'm sure TRU.com will get it sometime, as they tend to get exclusives. But, as far as stores, you need to head to a LEGO store.

6694147287_668c14a6e5_z.jpg

Are my eyes deceiving me or did TLC use my design?

It's the same. The table looks quite good in real life. Your globe looks good as well by the way :wink:

Thanks man My sole purpose is to head to the Atlanta lego store right now but didn't want to waste gas, my wife would had killed me!!! I want to get this and a couple of super heroes set!