yoraish

Little Boy - Lego Technic Rock Crawler [MOC]

I like it, this is good!

With a minimum amount of pieces/simplicity, a maximum performance/outcome and good looks too :laugh:

You have used some technic parts in quite unconventional ways

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by bord4kop

Very nice looking crawler.

Are there building instructions or a LDD file available for the great contraption, i would love to make one my self.

That is a really cool little beast, I really like the simplicity of it. Is it possible to lower the battery box, to get a lower center of mass, or it is just not much of an improvement?

Cool build :thumbup:

Thanks everybody!

I like it too well done,could u use bigger wheels tho?

If I had bigger wheels I could most probably try them on, but unfortunately I don't.

Very nice looking crawler.

Are there building instructions or a LDD file available for the great contraption, i would love to make one my self.

I started making a LDD file, but there are some parts that don't exist in the program. If you wany I can take pictures of places you can't see so you can build it. Just ask, it's simple after all.

That is a really cool little beast, I really like the simplicity of it. Is it possible to lower the battery box, to get a lower center of mass, or it is just not much of an improvement?

Cool build :thumbup:

I don't think that's possible :sceptic:

Thanks everybody!

Looks very cool, my only concirn is the placement of the XL motors whichs is a bit low.

Same with me, but still it is a lovely creation.

I like it, this is good!

With a minimum amount of pieces/simplicity, a maximum performance/outcome and good looks too :laugh:

You have used some technic parts in quite unconventional ways

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Absolutely agreed!

+1 :thumbup:

Your rock crawler is very capable! Thanks for making the Lego Digital Designer .lxf building instructions file! :classic: I want to build one this weekend so (using LDD Manager) I prepared a complete Parts List (including the four 57515 "Technic, Steering Arm 5.5 x 2 with Towball Socket Rounded, Chamfered" parts that are not in LDD). The 2-page, 9-kB PDF Parts List can be downloaded via MegaUpload SkyDrive here.

57515.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Your rock crawler is very capable! Thanks for making the Lego Digital Designer .lxf building instructions file! :classic: I want to build one this weekend so (using LDD Manager) I prepared a complete Parts List (including the four 57515 "Technic, Steering Arm 5.5 x 2 with Towball Socket Rounded, Chamfered" parts that are not in LDD). The 2-page, 9-kB PDF Parts List can be downloaded via MegaUpload here.

57515.jpg

Thank you very much DLuders! But can you added one PF switch to the PDF? Because it needs to be placed after one of the motors to change its direction, so the axels will go in the same direction.

OK, I added one 8869 "Power Functions Control Switch" (pictured below) to the revised PDF Parts List (available from MegaUpload SkyDrive here). I changed the hyperlink to my original post above too. One will need 485 parts to build the Little Boy Crawler.

8869-1.jpg

Edited by DLuders

I really like this crawler!

I chose to make this my first MOC, all the parts have been ordered!

I hope that the PDF was accurate as I have zero parts now and it will really suck to discover I'm missing one when i start building it.

PS: what other wheels would you guys suggest that are bigger then the ones yoraish used? They seem big enough(and quite expensive) - are there bigger ones?

PS: what other wheels would you guys suggest that are bigger then the ones yoraish used? They seem big enough(and quite expensive) - are there bigger ones?

You can pick pairs of Lego Tires & Wheels on this Bricklink Relationships webpage. Or, you may prefer the "Visual Lego Wheel Helper" chart.

I really like this crawler!

I chose to make this my first MOC, all the parts have been ordered!

I hope that the PDF was accurate as I have zero parts now and it will really suck to discover I'm missing one when i start building it.

That's great! don't forget to get a battery box. receiver and remote! :sweet:

That's great! don't forget to get a battery box. receiver and remote! :sweet:

Yes I got those too! :D

Thank you DLuders for the links, very helpful!

EDIT, Update: just got my orders with all the parts - will probably build this later tonight, can't wait to have it running!

Edited by Solozaur

Sorry for double posting!

Just finished building this and I have a few issues:

1. Was a bit disappointed that the list or the LDD doesn't contain the parts needed for the roll cage and the parts needed to keep in place the power functions( battery box is just floating on 2 axles).

This may not be a big problem for others since you can see what is needed from the photos, but for me it is since i have zero extra parts :blush:

Can you please provide a small part list? at least for the ones required to secure the PF elements.

2. What is the use of the control switch? You said that it is needed to make sure both motors turn in the same direction but I placed both XL motors on one color of the IR receiver and the M motor on the other color and it seems that it goes forward/backward and left/right.

3. How can I make it stop the direction control when it reaches maximum(left/right)? As it is now it just keeps going - forcing the parts :wacko:

4. Also mine doesn't go smooth forward or backward..it looks like it is rocking.

Maybe my problems from points 2, 3 and 4 are related to the way I made my PF connections? I'm a beginner, so please help and don't be too harsh on me *oh2*

Edited by Solozaur

Sorry for double posting!

Just finished building this and I have a few issues:

1. Was a bit disappointed that the list or the LDD doesn't contain the parts needed for the roll cage and the parts needed to keep in place the power functions( battery box is just floating on 2 axles).

This may not be a big problem for others since you can see what is needed from the photos, but for me it is since i have zero extra parts :blush:

Can you please provide a small part list? at least for the ones required to secure the PF elements.

2. What is the use of the control switch? You said that it is needed to make sure both motors turn in the same direction but I placed both XL motors on one color of the IR receiver and the M motor on the other color and it seems that it goes forward/backward and left/right.

3. How can I make it stop the direction control when it reaches maximum(left/right)? As it is now it just keeps going - forcing the parts :wacko:

4. Also mine doesn't go smooth forward or backward..it looks like it is rocking.

Maybe my problems from points 2, 3 and 4 are related to the way I made my PF connections? I'm a beginner, so please help and don't be too harsh on me *oh2*

OK, you asked a lot, I'll try my best to answer all your questions.

1.In order to keep the battery box in place and not falling from the axles, you should placeTehnic bushes on top of the axles.

2. If it works fine, so better for you!

3.There are three ways to make the the wheels stop when reaching maximum turning radius: The first one is sensors from the NXT, Second is using a clutch gear- but that will also prevent the wheels from turning under stress. And the third option is to gear up the motor so it won't have enough power to break anything over there.

4.I can't determine what problem tou have there, a video or further explanation will be necessary.

Godd luck with it!

OK, you asked a lot, I'll try my best to answer all your questions.

1.In order to keep the battery box in place and not falling from the axles, you should placeTehnic bushes on top of the axles.

2. If it works fine, so better for you!

3.There are three ways to make the the wheels stop when reaching maximum turning radius: The first one is sensors from the NXT, Second is using a clutch gear- but that will also prevent the wheels from turning under stress. And the third option is to gear up the motor so it won't have enough power to break anything over there.

4.I can't determine what problem tou have there, a video or further explanation will be necessary.

Godd luck with it!

Had a bit more time with it. Managed to damage a pin from the over steering and now it won't hold much.

I'm going to try and reinforce the steering and want to include a slip differential, although it's just an idea - need to study how and if it's doable.

That means more parts to order so it will take a while.

But I love the design and will try and improve it or maybe go in a different direction from here, it is a great MOC to get you started :P

PS: I'm new to PF elements: is it normal to have a bit of delay? I'm less then 1m away from the receiver and it happens often for it to keep going 1second after I stop pressing the remote knob.

@ Solozaur: Are you using the 8885 "Power Functions IR Remote Control" or the 8879 "Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control"? The second one is really suited only for Lego Trains, and the Infrared signal frequently "cuts out" when trying to control Lego vehicles in a precise way. No, it is not normal to have a one-second delay -- see the Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ) on the official Lego Power Functions website.

8885-1.jpg8879-1.jpg

@ Solozaur: Are you using the 8885 "Power Functions IR Remote Control" or the 8879 "Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control"? The second one is really suited only for Lego Trains, and the Infrared signal frequently "cuts out" when trying to control Lego vehicles in a precise way. No, it is not normal to have a one-second delay -- see the Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ) on the official Lego Power Functions website.

@DLuders I'm using the 8885 remote. The only thing which may be an issue is that I use only rechargeable NiMh batteries both in the battery box and in the remote. I will check the linked FAQ, thank you!

@Yoraish You are welcome and I really hope that you didn't take my comments as a negative - I really like this MOC and it helped in giving me a crash course in the basics of what an rock crawler can be.

Edited by Solozaur

Your rock crawler is very capable! Thanks for making the Lego Digital Designer .lxf building instructions file! :classic: I want to build one this weekend so (using ]LDD Manager) I prepared a complete Parts List (including the four "Technic, Steering Arm 5.5 x 2 with Towball Socket Rounded, Chamfered" parts that are not in LDD). The 2-page, 9-kB PDF Parts List can be downloaded via MegaUpload.

Can you please reupload the parts list ? Megaupload files are gone.

Thanks