Sign in to follow this  
aposaric

Exporting LDD to *.3ds or other simmilar format

Hello everyone .

I am the developer of Buf3d/Buf3d+ and understand your comments and share them , but internal multiresolution technology of Buf3D has taken me years of development, and I hate advertising applications. LDD loader has been an insane effort ( 3419 parts revised one through one ! ) and is free to Buf3D .

Concerning the issue of export to 3D , its operation is not perfect, libraries as LGEO generate more realistic models for the treatment of materials is better than Buf3D, but so far have not found any LDD reader that supports as many parts as this, except those using the geometry of Lego (which is protected by Lego) . But I'm a developer , I'm not the best person to rate it! ;)

It is a choice , (that was just my interest with the post) and i wanted to share it

(Ops! the geometry is from Ldraw library, is loaded online when you show a ldd/ldraw model)

Edited by atoniman

Hello everyone .

I am the developer of Buf3d/Buf3d+ and understand your comments and share them , but internal multiresolution technology of Buf3D has taken me years of development, and I hate advertising applications. LDD loader has been an insane effort ( 3419 parts revised one through one ! ) and is free to Buf3D .

Concerning the issue of export to 3D , its operation is not perfect, libraries as LGEO generate more realistic models for the treatment of materials is better than Buf3D, but so far have not found any LDD reader that supports as many parts as this, except those using the geometry of Lego (which is protected by Lego) . But I'm a developer , I'm not the best person to rate it! ;)

It is a choice , (that was just my interest with the post) and i wanted to share it

(Ops! the geometry is from Ldraw library, is loaded online when you show a ldd/ldraw model)

Super, that all is fine BUT what I was saying is why don't you let users firstly test you sw before buying it? For example from what you are saying, as LDD user, I would not buying it if I would knew this, but as there is no chance to let us try it first (demo, trial, shareware...) I would be pretty angry cos I would pay for something that is not good from my point of view just to find out afterwards, hope you understand me what I am saying...and it seems my concern was at least partly right.

Just made it as a trial, like for 7 days or so and that's it, that way everyone can test it and find out if it works for him or not...

All true, but it is not difficult to hack an application that includes the code inside.

Even so we try to add some demonstration for future releases (possibly only sample models, like we do with background images), or by triangle limits ... not sure.

All true, but it is not difficult to hack an application that includes the code inside.

:grin: Sorry, but this is not an argument: if you are affraid of someone breaking/hacking your sw then you should not make any in the first place cos there still maybe someone who buys it and put it on net for free for all tho illegally, of course - what will you do then??? :look:

This is really really really one bad developer thinking when even SW like Foundry MODO/NUKE etc. (which cost like 1000 EUR+) have their trial versions...you lost me from this point on cos basically what you want from me is: hey, believe me when I am telling you it works and just buy it so you can try it yourself. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

@bublibe

Please go easy in your argumentation style. Everyone has the right to put out a sw anyway they want. If the author doesn't want to offer a trialware then that's his choice. No need to post three thumbs down like that. We're all you community peers here so you don't have too exagerate.

@bublibe

Please go easy in your argumentation style. Everyone has the right to put out a sw anyway they want. If the author doesn't want to offer a trialware then that's his choice. No need to post three thumbs down like that. We're all you community peers here so you don't have too exagerate.

As I said I do not care anymore in this because that argument kill it for me...HOWGH, off

Heuuu excuse me but we are talking about just a few dollars here for something that looks pretty cool. I totally understand that a software doesn't have a demo version. I think you are going way too far here...

Sorry for raising a dead topic but I had the same problem (and even worse - necessity to import into Bricklink Studio a custom part, custom-made for LDD (Custom LDD bricks and fixes topic). And I succeeded after 2-3 hours of research!

The steps below do not 100%-match this topic but some of them could be quite useful:

1. I imported the custom-made parts into the LDD ( [KEY TOPIC] LDD New Parts topic, see the instruction).
    The bricks here are in the LDD but cannot be exported to anything but LDDs limited set of format. Moreover, even via the LDR format, the Studio refused to open it, due to a custom-made nature - the part just was released and never appear to any LDD-like software officially).
  2. The next step - I exported the part from LDD as LDR file.
  3. Then, I used the LeoCAD software and opened this file.
  4. Exported as "Wavefront" OBJ file with a 3d model (it was only the file that Studio correctly accepted, 3ds failed to help me).
  5. Then I imported the OBJ file to Bricklink Studio Part designer, added mount points and exported to Bricklink Studio itself.
    This step is optional, I just wanted to use the model as a part for my further MOCs.

Hope that it will help you too!

Edited by Void_S

15 hours ago, Void_S said:

Sorry for raising a dead topic but I had the same problem (and even worse - necessity to import into Bricklink Studio a custom part, custom-made for LDD (Custom LDD bricks and fixes topic). And I succeeded after 2-3 hours of research!

The steps below do not 100%-match this topic but some of them could be quite useful:

1. I imported the custom-made parts into the LDD ( [KEY TOPIC] LDD New Parts topic, see the instruction).
    The bricks here are in the LDD but cannot be exported to anything but LDDs limited set of format. Moreover, even via the LDR format, the Studio refused to open it, due to a custom-made nature - the part just was released and never appear to any LDD-like software officially).
  2. The next step - I exported the part from LDD as LDR file.
  3. Then, I used the LeoCAD software and opened this file.
  4. Exported as "Wavefront" OBJ file with a 3d model (it was only the file that Studio correctly accepted, 3ds failed to help me).
  5. Then I imported the OBJ file to Bricklink Studio Part designer, added mount points and exported to Bricklink Studio itself.
    This step is optional, I just wanted to use the model as a part for my further MOCs.

Hope that it will help you too!

You can also use BrickStudio from Polymaker, to convert a LDD Brick directly into "Wavefront" OBJ or DAE (Collada I think).