Sign in to follow this  
Bricverson

MOC - Red Beard Runner Improved

Hey, guys!

This post is a follow-up of my review of 6289/6290 Red Beard Runner. As I have said, there is a lot you can do(moc) about the original build and here we go: my improved Red Beard Runner!

Every last detail on the exterior has been retained while I took some effort to remove the collapsing stern castle and tilting front mast. Now the ship looks and works pretty solid and is by all means another great modular ship from Lego.

Now a bit walkthrough around the ship:

1. The improved version looks exactly the same as the original but I managed to add an overhead rope for improved masts stability.

6187567113_d05f7d4420_b.jpg

2. Here goes the ship bow. The nice little handrail is an extension from the original and I put on two black "deck pieces" under it to make the bow feels more streamlined.

6187567335_6e55448f70_b.jpg

3. Take a look at the new mast placement. I add a lower mast base and let it penetrate the upper deck. Now it is much more solid with little effect on the feeling.

6187567551_b162d39375_b.jpg

4. A closer look at the base of front mast: ultra-firm placement with red color to go with the hull.

6188089064_1a02545491_b.jpg

5. Let's move on to the stern. The once-cluttered, nonsense cabin is now fully cleaned up to make room for its captain and crew. As you can see, the white arc design on the outer wall was left intact, even the blue wall inside is exactly the same. I yet to make up my mind on how to add a little furniture or make a little cabin door but that's another story.

6188089340_08955564da_b.jpg

6. The simplistic cannon rail that I love, I keep them that way.

6187569179_9c36fd683d_b.jpg

7. With the front mast now higher, I replaced the original short rigging with the longer ones. The crane is working properly and you may have found that I changed the way of sailing. The original string-hung sail is giving too much creases to the sails and I just want to go with the tradition way.

6188090618_9e7958c1a1_b.jpg

8. I add a little trapdoor to the cabin floor which now leads to an extra level beneath. This design aims to utilize the space below the cabin which was then used to place the leverage. Now since the leverage is gone, a little storage for the crew. Time to fill it up with Rum and Bacon!

6188090906_7e66d47667_b.jpg

9. The opening cabin walls are also working perfectly on both side.

6188091136_721e4acd52_b.jpg

10. The castle deck piece now can be slided back and forth to reveal the cabin.

6188091378_1b6511a1f4_b.jpg

11. If you leave the cabin floor open, you can see right through to the storage. I add some barrels in it to represent goodies.

6187570335_084a51e890_b.jpg

12. Last but not least: the skullhead! This is the best part of the ship and I dare not to dampen it in any way.

6187570579_aa291c6eca_b.jpg

13. However, instead of the red tongue/throat inside the mouth. I decide to add a little spice to it and placed a red cannon right in the mouth. Now taste death!

6187571053_76e05aea4b_b.jpg

14. BONUS shot: the storage revealed!

6187566829_5b6d21926e_b.jpg

Thank you for reading! Any comments?

Edited by Bricverson

I like the cannon in the mouth. I would do the same. Where is your your crew?

She's just got out of the shipyard and the crew is yet to board. :pir-cry_happy:

Actually I've packed them away for protection.

"Improved" is a matter of opinion :pir_laugh2: the collapsing mast was nice, I don't think the front of the ship has improved but I must say I like what you did in the cabin, the cannon in the skull, the hold, very nice. Maybe add some nice furniture for the captain ?

Btw, I like the engraving on the cannons, I suppose that's some kind of compensation for the non-firing ability.

"Improved" is a matter of opinion :pir_laugh2: the collapsing mast was nice, I don't think the front of the ship has improved but I must say I like what you did in the cabin, the cannon in the skull, the hold, very nice. Maybe add some nice furniture for the captain ?

Btw, I like the engraving on the cannons, I suppose that's some kind of compensation for the non-firing ability .

Unfortunatlly four of my five old school cannons that didn't end up in a landfill are those non-firing ones. There's also a little hole there that you can put a flame/feather piece into.

Unfortunatlly four of my five old school cannons that didn't end up in a landfill are those non-firing ones. There's also a little hole there that you can put a flame/feather piece into.

I only have firing ones, I don't think the non-firing variant was ever sold in Belgium, it's probably an american thing :pir_laugh2: the land of fire arms but a firing lego cannon is too dangerous.

that's just ironic :pir_laugh2:

I like your modifications very much! It still needs a front sail though, but I know it's kinda difficult as such sail was never made in this colour.

As for the cannon thing - right now I have about 50 cannons (need to count them) and only 2 are non-firing ones! I got them with a second-hand Imperial Flagship (the old one). The rest are standard European firing cannons (including cannons from 2009+), and in fact I wish I had more non-firing ones, as I really like the pattern they have. So my situation is quite opposite to many other AFOLs (mainly those from U.S.). I don't fire them at all anyway.

I like your modifications very much! It still needs a front sail though, but I know it's kinda difficult as such sail was never made in this colour.

As for the cannon thing - right now I have about 50 cannons (need to count them) and only 2 are non-firing ones! I got them with a second-hand Imperial Flagship (the old one). The rest are standard European firing cannons (including cannons from 2009+), and in fact I wish I had more non-firing ones, as I really like the pattern they have. So my situation is quite opposite to many other AFOLs (mainly those from U.S.). I don't fire them at all anyway.

Wouldn't the Renagade Runner sails work for this ship?

Nice MOD's!

I especially like the cannon in the skull's mouth, it's a much more natural extension than the original tongue (who puts tongues in a skull and crossbones)? '

Could you add a picture to the review of the inside of the cabin so that we can compare the versions better? :pir-sweet:

Depending on how picky you are, but the Renegade Runner sails are black/white while those in the RBR are grey/white. In addition the RBR has a comical ripped and cannonball shot look, in contrast to the RR's pristine sails. It could work though.

Could you add a picture to the review of the inside of the cabin so that we can compare the versions better? :pir-sweet:

I only took photos on the module inside the cabin during the build but here's a scan of the instruction on that particular page showing what's inside. It's basically a huge leverage that will be lifted by the weight of the skull head in the back.

6190706919_c366110046_z.jpg

Lol,a faded RR sail might do.

I like the gun slides pretty much, I always used this technique but some of the Classic-pirates members are right: It doesn't look very realistic, because they cant recoil they say.

I still use this technique because its very "Playable" this way, and I dont have any of these small wheels :pir-angry:

Nice Mods!

Greetz Bjornu