Hi @efferman,

Long time lurker here - finally registered to ask my burning questions :classic:. Love the rotator!

Could wee see more of your rear axle setup? The render you posted above doesn't include any linkages/control arms. I am very curious to see the geometry because I do not see the use of a extendable driveshaft. That brings me to my second question; with the model so heavy, how are you able to utilize stock u-joints? I do not see any gearing on the axle, which makes me believe the torque transmitted through the driveshaft must be high. Both of these are areas where I encountered difficulties when building my LPE-powered truck.

Thank you in advance!

19 hours ago, M4rk said:

Love the rotator!

Thanks

The rearaxle setup is quite simple. In the front they are guided by two beams, and in the back by the frame. The beams in front are pushing the frame while driving forward. The Suspension travel is only an half stud, so a extendable driveshaft isnt neccessary.

The whole reduction is at the diff. Additional up and downgearing adding a lot of resistance, so it is better with the single reduction. With the allwheeldrive the U-joints should survive, if not, there are metal u-joints on the market.

50927756898_5b689e3f30_z.jpg

Edited by efferman

4 hours ago, efferman said:

The rearaxle setup is quite simple. In the front they are guided by two beams, and in the back by the frame. The beams in front are pushing the frame while driving forward. The Suspension travel is only an half stud, so a extendable driveshaft isnt neccessary.

Awesome, thanks a lot. Looking forward to seeing more. Those 3D printed axle housings also look quite handy :)

1 hour ago, M4rk said:

Those 3D printed axle housings also look quite handy :)

Yes, but nothing for Purists or Copycats.

First Prototype of the Trailer, The Kingpin has to move 1 or two studs forward, but everything else seems ok.

50942433447_3162332117_c.jpg

50942325836_47bf03cfee_c.jpg

9x6 plates would be cool
50941630718_3397a7a05d_c.jpg

50941630803_9e98277270_c.jpg

Thank you very much, but there are two functions not shown. The difflock, and the freerun on the winches.

got a small pre production motor and integrated it into the 42122. The Servo and the Battbox are a little bit Visible.

Oooh, that looks very interesting. 5x3x2 studs right? Loving the connectivity options, much better than m-motor in that sense.

3 hours ago, efferman said:

got a small pre production motor and integrated it into the 42122. The Servo and the Battbox are a little bit Visible.

Indeed, very interesting! But there are no pin holes in the direction of the drive axis, right? That is useful even on the PF M motor because you can just put it on an axle and "secure" it with at least one pin in the same direction, But the motor shown should be more easily integrable in vehicles. Do you plan to sell these in the future?

1 hour ago, syclone said:

5x3x2 studs right?

Yes

32 minutes ago, johnnym said:

Indeed, very interesting! But there are no pin holes in the direction of the drive axis, right?

This is a prototype motor i got from the seller. The Serial Motor has two pinholes on the output side which i have mentioned to the manufacturer.

14 minutes ago, efferman said:

This is a prototype motor i got from the seller. The Serial Motor has two pinholes on the output side which i have mentioned to the manufacturer.

I see, with half stud offset, of course than its possible.Thanks for the link, the stats look promising - I imagine many small cars with multiple of these driving one axle or more. :classic: I'd love to have a servo motor in that size and form factor.

2 minutes ago, johnnym said:

I'd love to have a servo motor in that size and form factor.

me too, but when this would be pf compatible......

9 minutes ago, efferman said:

me too, but when this would be pf compatible......

Yeah, "Has a working voltage of 3.3 to 6 V" - what a pity. This is more oriented to something like Arduino or MicroBit, even the bigger one which would fit to the TECHNIC theme better.

I just love this cab design of the TGS so much... also makes me sad that there is currently no truck in the Technic lineup in the scale of 42043...

Are you intending to add suspension on the rear axle?

30 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Are you intending to add suspension on the rear axle?

Yes, that is the most important point for traction. I will use the suspension of my 6x4/4 Scania.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:34 PM, efferman said:

something small for in between.

51009083432_f44b644465_c.jpg

This is a new fresh way to have articulated steering. Cool build!