Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

W.I.P Next ship for the Armada

Hey all, ive started on the next ship for my future Armada display. Unfortunatly I left it a little late, as I only started it yesterday and it needs to be finished rigged and sailed in the next 3 days for a show at the weekend! This means it is a little rushed, but it works out well as certain ideas I wanted to try can be used on futures ships, as I want each one to have its own colour scheme. Im going to alternate between different colour tooth plates(as used on the Princess Ceinwyn) and checker patterns for each ship. Im building all the English Galleons first, and sticking with the same design I used on my 1st one, which allows me to build them pretty quickly, although I will build a few 4 masters as well. My aim will be to have at least 5 built by the end of the year and hopefully have the full display ready by the end of next year. In the mean time, this one and its sister ship will be on display at The Great Western Lego show(STEAM) next weekend, if i get it finished within 3 days that is!!!

6178526931_43b5dbee53.jpg

6179042606_6e7ce3549a.jpg

The stern design will probably change again, as you can see it is different in each picture, same with the checker design as I think I will just use the first 2 coloured lines and not the top one.

Edited by Derfel Cardarn

It's looking kick megablocks already. I like the colors and the grand feel the rear has.

I look forward to it's completion.

Wow, wow, wow. WOW!

Much like almost everything you build, you really have set an incredibly high standard of realism and attractiveness for your models.

What more can I really say? I wish I simply had some kind of constructive criticism to offer, but really, your work is excellent and not much more can really be said.

Impressive! I can't wait to see a fleet of these beauties!

Great colourscheme, nice details, and I think the black gunports are very suitable there.

What you could try (but it's probably very hard to do and will cost too much time) is this:

galleon.png

So make the stern get a bit more narrow at the top.

And I'd prefer a flat stern, with decorations, but without the brown slopes.

But perhaps that's the only way to get an overhanging stern so in that case it's okay.

Anyway, good luck! This will surely become a fantastic display :pir-classic:

Impressive! :pir-wub:

I love those stern details! You have found a nice way to use the gold bars. NPU!

I provide the same suggestion as the Admiral, it would make it even more 'galleon style'.

Good luck on this fantastic project. :thumbup:

Derfel!

I guess building another takes less time because you already made one right?

Love to see 6 or 8 of these beauties!

They are so awesome!

Greetz Bjornu

Thanks for your feedback, things have been flying along and shes virtually finished. Just need to add the rigging and sails and a few other small details. I will probably keep with the Arthurian names and call her Lady Guinevere. Not many names of the English ships that fought against the Spanish are recorded, ive only found about 10, notable ones include 'The Revenge' and 'Elizabeth Bonadventure'. Drake did NOT use the Golden Hinde against the Spanish Armada, it played no part in the battle, but I expect I will build it anyway at some point. I will post a full topic when she is comeplete, but in the mean time here are a few more wip pics.

6188932368_646f19c60d.jpg

6188937948_7ab6bd9f0b.jpg

6188421913_02fe52c150.jpg

6188946484_4c9765c9c9.jpg

Impressive! I can't wait to see a fleet of these beauties!

Great colourscheme, nice details, and I think the black gunports are very suitable there.

What you could try (but it's probably very hard to do and will cost too much time) is this:

galleon.png

So make the stern get a bit more narrow at the top.

And I'd prefer a flat stern, with decorations, but without the brown slopes.

But perhaps that's the only way to get an overhanging stern so in that case it's okay.

Anyway, good luck! This will surely become a fantastic display :pir-classic:

Impressive! :pir-wub:

I love those stern details! You have found a nice way to use the gold bars. NPU!

I provide the same suggestion as the Admiral, it would make it even more 'galleon style'.

Good luck on this fantastic project. :thumbup:

Thank you, I have to agree about the stern, but it is something ive been working on and testing. I think ive figured out a good way to achieve a better sloping design for the stern and will use it on the next ship. Its not easy, but I would like some more variety in these ships, so its the only way forward.

Thanks DC

WOW! What a beauty she is. I like how you decided to put 1 row of the colored 1x1 pieces on the stern it looks alot better then how you had it before. The deck is awsome I like all the details you added. Well good luck on the rigging cause that's the hardest part!

Your English ships are totally awesome, what else is there to say? I really didn't have much of a picture in head yet, as the Spanish ships are much more widely known. Now my head cinema works a lot better when I read books about that time. BTW, have you started thinking about the Spaniards yet?

I absolutely love the coloring you add to your ships, it's just enough to pop, and really look good.

I must say: I ADORE this ship, just like the previous one you made. The shape is just right, the collors are great and they both excell with nice details like the headlight bricks in the side. Great work! When I have the time and money, I will build my own galleon.

A nice decoration for the balcony at the stern might be this: Turntable 2 x 2 Plate, Base. (I will probably use it in my galleon.)

Keep up the good work!

Edited by WilliamWalls