Rufus

10230: Mini Modulars Discussion

How is it unimaginative to make the modular buildings at a smaller scale, just because other people had already done it? You might as well call the original MOCs you linked to "unimaginative", because the modulars themselves had already been done. As it is, TLG's mini modulars are at a different scale than the first and third MOCs you linked to, and (IMHO) much better than the second one you linked to.

Think of it this way: suppose someone made custom Pirates of the Caribbean figures, and then TLG released a Pirates of the Caribbean theme with real PotC minifigures. Are they stealing the idea of the first person to make figures of those characters? No, they're just drawing inspiration from the same source. TLG frankly doesn't have any reason to care whether AFOLs have explored an idea before-- and if they do even acknowledge that, it's more of a reason to explore that same idea, not less, since it shows that fans have an interest in that sort of thing.

I prefer the 1/2 scale minis:

5541037712_aa94fac429_z.jpg

4828416941_a19639c885_z.jpg

5260803594_e6e5a9c027_z.jpg

5520789048_1f0cf4c0b0_z.jpg

As much as I love to collect and build one of everything, I am torn on this set. Besides, it doesn't have the Pet Shop, so I can't buy it and display it with my sets, because it won't look the same.

To me, this set is something I most likely will pass on, as sad as it seems. If they were 1/2 scale, I think I would have jumped on it for sure, though.

Locutis

How is it unimaginative to make the modular buildings at a smaller scale, just because other people had already done it? You might as well call the original MOCs you linked to "unimaginative", because the modulars themselves had already been done. As it is, TLG's mini modulars are at a different scale than the first and third MOCs you linked to, and (IMHO) much better than the second one you linked to.

I couldn't agree more :thumbup:

I prefer the 1/2 scale minis:

*snip*

I agree, the 1/2 scale are just beautiful.

Here's a nice picture of them all together.

To me, this set is something I most likely will pass on, as sad as it seems. If they were 1/2 scale, I think I would have jumped on it for sure, though.

The only problem I see there, though, is then the price of each 1/2 scale house would be similar to that of the new set 10230. So this set is an affordable way to pick up a pretty nice mini copy of the modulars without breaking the bank... :sweet:

That new brick seperator looks like its missing one piece of key functionality over the old one.

With the old one, you could use two brick seperators to seperate two 1x2 plates by placing one on top and one on the bottom. But it looks like the axle pusher would get in the way on the new one?

That new brick seperator looks like its missing one piece of key functionality over the old one.

With the old one, you could use two brick seperators to seperate two 1x2 plates by placing one on top and one on the bottom. But it looks like the axle pusher would get in the way on the new one?

I'm afraid the axle-pusher would get in the way of a lot of things-- separating plates from underneath larger bricks looks like it would pose problems. It seems odd that there would be design flaws since the need to put bricks together and take them apart would be one thing you'd think designers would know all too well.

Of course, I'm sure that if there is a generally unfavorable reaction to the new brick separator, it shouldn't be impossible to bring the old one or something like it back in its place.

These are pretty adorable. It's best not to think about the whole set as being $80, but rather as each individual one costing $16, which makes it seem a bit less overpriced. I've wanted to get into the modulars since CC came out, but I've never had the money or space, so these seem like a good option for me; 1/10th the price, 1/64th the size, 10/3rds the cuteness*. Plus, It's a great scale for MOCing my own modulars, something I've never been able to do at minifig scale due to lack of 1 by X bricks in any given color. I can see why some people aren't excited about them, but I am.

*Note; this value has not been rigorously mathematically determined in any way.

Never been able to register the VIP thing - I select the option on the checkout cart, fill in details and...nothing. When you've bought the death star, imperial shuttle and entire summer wave and it's not worked each time - that's annoying. How the hell do you do it?

The piece count shows that this is a pretty nice set. I see the printed HOTEL piece, along with a few pieces I have never seen before, such as the cheese slope+tile piece :excited:

In one word: stunning! For me this release really came as a surprise. I would love to build these mini-models, especially because I recognize some interesting SNOT (eg. in the mini-MS as well as mini-CC). On my list for sure.

Oh my word, love these! I haven't bought any of the modulars (too expensive for me and I don't know that I can justify spending that much on a LEGO set), but this might be my way to get my hands on the modulars... in mini version!

Love! :wub:

HA! I would love to go around to my friends, and say, "I own 5 of those huge, expensive modular LEGO buildings!"

When they seemed shockingly surprised, I'll tell them, "Yeah, they were only 80 bucks! Perk is they're mini, and you have to be a VIP member!" :grin:

That aside, I think this set will be a hit, and gives LEGO fans a good reason to sign up to the whole rewards program! :wink:

The idea is okay, but if i buy this, i will end up with numerous scales... it doesn't fir in my city..so...not for me..

First i thought it was a free gift for VIP-members......but it turned out that it is an expensive way to buy bricks to me...

:sceptic:

Greetz, LegoSjaak

I really like the concept and execution. They look really nice and they make great display pieces for a shelf or desk. However, I can't buy everything I want, so I will have to pass on them. I would rather put the money I would spend on these towards an actual modular.

Not bad. I'm also on the fence, for the moment. We have a few months to digest the info though. I'll probably end up getting this, but I don't really like the front part of the CC, that white part is a bit big-not sure how they could've done it otherwise...

I'm in love! This set looks amazing, unlike the price.

I know it's for VIP, but it's really too much money, even if it would be my only way to own a Market and a Cafe' Corner.

@OutOfTopic.

I've lost my VIP card (the plastic one), what can I do ?

@OutOfTopic.

I've lost my VIP card (the plastic one), what can I do ? [/size]

If you use the online shop@home store, the card isn't necessary, you just log in with your lego id. For shopping in a store, you can probably just get them to send you a new one. Or create a new Lego id and then link the two cards, so they can share points.