Derfel Cadarn

Ultimate Flying Dutchman by Bricktrix

This would be amazing if it was a set! Just think of how big the IFS is for a set, this would be huge! :pir-laugh:

I would think they would need to gauge the POTC popularity over another wave or two at least before they do a direct to customer set.

Am I the only one that sees weird non-lego colors on this thing? :pir_wacko:

Still, it's a marvelous creation.

Still, it's a marvelous creation.

No, you're not the only one :pir_laugh2:

But I have noticed some people don't see it :pir_wacko:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

I'd pay $500 for a set like that.

I'd pay more than that. It's beautiful. I paid $350 for my Millenium Falcon and its worth much more than that now. It retailed for $500.

This Dutchman would easily be the largest lego set ever sold. I think it'd surpass the Taj Mahal in piece count by at least 500 pieces. I'd pay at least $600 for it, and I'd buy as many as I can.

Thats a very impressive rendition of the Flying Dutchman but i'm not sure if we will see anything like that as an official lego set, the cost would be just to prohibitive. There seems to be doubt over whether the POTC theme will continue in the short-term, I for one hope it does as I think there's more that can be taken from the films. A S@H exclusive Flying Dutchman would be the icing on the cake.

If lego were releasing a Flying Dutchman this would not be it. This is too complicated to ever be a lego set, and also it is too big to be a lego set. This set would probaly be in the death star's price range. It also completely lacks playability.

Well the advantage of making something entirely in rendering software is you can use any colours you need, not to mention put pieces in ways they'd never really fit. :pir-sweet:

Regardless of the plausibility or reality of it, it is interesting to get some ideas from it. I especially like the Octopus on the back. The there is also some interesting work on with the arches.

Those are rendered images, so it's not real LEGO (but it could be built of course). It was designed for the PotC computer game.

Oh, and BTW, expect it to be blogged soon!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Well the simple fact is that it's to good to be left as a digital render, right?

So which amazing builder is going to give this his/her best try? And of course show the rest how it's done?!

I would've started already but this is way out of my league (I'm talking about my building skills AND my brick collection).

I might have given it a try if I didn't start my own version already, however, there are many parts in i t I simply don't have and are hard to come by :pir_bawling:

Well, I just couldn't get this out of my head. So I started on the ship in LDD. I think I'm around 50% completion.

There's enough reference pictures (although some parts keep me guessing) and I'm trying to get as close to the original as I can.

I had to make adjustments to make some things work. It could be due to my limited knowledge of building techniques but I also have the idea that somethings just aren't possible when building it in the brick.

So it will be a ship that looks like the original but should be possible to build with real legos.

Well, I'm getting there!

I'm now building the stern which has/had the most mysteries for me. After that it's only the masts and the last part of the top deck.

Expect to see it finished next week.

Well, I'm getting there!

I'm now building the stern which has/had the most mysteries for me. After that it's only the masts and the last part of the top deck.

Expect to see it finished next week.

wow, that's pretty fast, I'm very curious for the result, what colors did you use mostly ? the digital version has some kind of grey-brown or call it sand brown, all the same

Yeah the colors are still something I'm playing around with.

But right now I'm using the legacy colors: 'earth orange' for the main brown color and 'brown' for the dark tan/orange-ish highlights; makes sense right?! =)

Its just wat looks the best right now. But when it's finished I'd maybe change them.

your photos are unavailable, but luckily I've seen this before and its magnificent. If TLG made this kinda stuff I would think twice about scrapping them :pir-sweet:

Yeah the colors are still something I'm playing around with.

But right now I'm using the legacy colors: 'earth orange' for the main brown color and 'brown' for the dark tan/orange-ish highlights; makes sense right?! =)

Its just wat looks the best right now. But when it's finished I'd maybe change them.

I personally think the best color would be somewhere around the Camel color, as seen on the leaves of the tree of Canibal Escape