brickmack

Monty Python

So, I just started watching Monty Python (Started with Holy Grail, now working my way though the skits) so I was wondering if there were any other Monty Python fans here? Favorite skits?

So, I just started watching Monty Python (Started with Holy Grail, now working my way though the skits) so I was wondering if there were any other Monty Python fans here? Favorite skits?

Don't get me started. I grew up with a steady diet of Python. I watched Holy Grail and Life of Brian so many times I actually sort of burned out on them. But I still quote the movies regularly enough to annoy the hell out of my wife and co-workers. I love the Flying Circus almost as much, it beats the movies in the WTF factor. My favorite bits are probably everybody's favorite bits: the Lumberjack Song, Dead Parrot, the swallows in Holy Grail, and How to Disappear Completely, but I also like the odd bits like the philosophers playing soccer and Olympic Hide and Seek.

I have to say I like Fawlty Towers even more than the Flying Circus. John Cleese will never be better than he was as Fawlty.

I really like the Monty Pythons, it's totally absurd and a lot of laugh. My favorite scene is the rude dialog between english and french in Holy Grail, very typical of the love the two countries had during the middle ages :laugh:

Monty Pyrhon was also a big part of my childhood. Their projects were always hit or miss, but there were a lot more hits overall, and they indoctrinated me into the world of alt comedy.

The Holy Grail (Tim and that rabbit were my favorites), the Meaning of Life, and the overall Flying Circus'. Then, Faulty Towers is quite perfect. Their 'mature' works, like A Fish Called Wanda, Erik the Viking, Palin's BBC docs, Terry Jones' BBC docs, it's all quite good. They were smart people to begin with, and though they are less funny now, they are all still interesting. Eric Idle, who I loved as a kid, has matured the poorest in my opinion. I'm not too interested in Spamalot.

And check the history of Graham Chapman, he was pretty compelling; a closeted homosexual and a raging alcoholic. It created a brilliant sense of humor in him. And his funeral was really funny, as he would have wanted it :sweet:

Also, though there isn't much to compare Python to, certainly not Saturday Night Live, I'd recommend picking up all four seasons of Mr. Show. It is as close a successor to Python as anyone has done.

I love Monty Python enough that it was a screen name I used for a few years until I started using Thee Pirate (which is, or rather, was a Canadian punk rock band)

The bank robber skit is one of my favorites, along with the scene from The Meaning of Life about every sperm being sacred and the short skit about the machine that goes ping!

Monty Python is amazing! There are no words in the English language that can describe how awesome it is. My favorite skits from Flying Circus are the Ministry of Silly Walks, and the Fish Shlapping Dance!