Hello there

I finally managed to get my Interface A working with Visual Basic 6. A friend of mine helped provide the ground work and Cable

Does anyone else have the slightest interest in this device? It can run 3 x 4.5v motors and 2 sensors.

I can send you the code if interested

Hey there what would you like to know. I can take some pictures when I get home but there is not much to it

it has 3 output ports which can be split to run 6 motors (4.5 volts) in 1 direction or 3 motors in both directions. It has 2 sensor ports which support touch and light type sensor. This can become a rotation sensor of types using a round disk with white/black parts which are in sets like 1090 1092.

I think people have got the release date wrong as some people list it as 1992 but its stamped with 1986. It was used with the BBC computer I believe, and used a older version of the parallel port. A friend of mine just created a cable that converted the old port to a new parallel port (just a cable)

I have made a simple little vb app that talks to it via NTPort.dll which you can see sensor readings or turn motors on and off.

This reminds me, I must finish the Interface B software as not worked out the rotation sensor yet

The High School I went to, had several of these sets.. I used to go into a spare teachers' office, many a lunchtime, and play with them.. hooked up to an old Apple ][e to control them!

Would love to get one again, just to see if I remember how it all worked!

I do remember the 4.5v motors, and the black sensor discs. If you geared them down a bit, you could get it to measure x amount of rotations, and get reasonably accurate control of the motors...

They could also be used to sense black and white bricks... so I remember building conveyor systems that could sort pieces...

RB

I also have acquired an Interface A, and I am very interested in your parallel port "re-wiring" and the VB code to control it. Thanks.

Wow, thats cool.. i didnt even know there was an interface A until now. Now i know why the interface B is called the interface B default_tong.gif

Yea.. More pics would be great default_classic.gif

Edited by skaako

Wow, thats cool.. i didnt even know there was an interface A until now. Now i know why the interface B is called the interface B default_tong.gif

Yea.. More pics would be great default_classic.gif

I take some pictures of the cable and post up the code soon

This thing looks very interesting. :thumbup: What is the Interface B? Is that the 9V Control Lab Interface?

I think people have got the release date wrong as some people list it as 1992 but its stamped with 1986.

That makes more sense anyway. The 4.5V system was replaced by the 9V one in 1990, so these units would have been obsolete by that point.

This thing looks very interesting. :thumbup: What is the Interface B? Is that the 9V Control Lab Interface?

Yea, the interface B is the later 9V control lab.

I take some pictures of the cable and post up the code soon

Thanks. I have made a cable based on documentation and created some C# code, but am anxious to try before comparing to your success.

OOO very cool, I am in Budapest with work at the mo but once back I sort something out for you

I have successfully constructed my custom cable and interfaced via a small C# Windows App. I can also provide pics and code, if anyone is interested.

post-20839-131922734234.png

Edited by Tom Cook

I have successfully constructed my custom cable and interfaced via a small C# Windows App. I can also provide pics and code, if anyone is interested.

post-20839-131922734234.png

Sorry I have been lame at getting the stuff to you, I had a show at the weekend.

I would be interested in your code if thats ok?

Sorry I have been lame at getting the stuff to you, I had a show at the weekend.

I would be interested in your code if thats ok?

I have created a brief page at http://lgauge.com describing the Parallel Port cable and software (source code included) - look for "Technic Interface A".

I have created a brief page at http://lgauge.com describing the Parallel Port cable and software (source code included) - look for "Technic Interface A".

I now have six of the Interface A units having 0 just over two weeks ago. I also have a raft of the Bs. I'm keen to get the As up and running and would welcome the opportunity to discuss the wheres and whys if thats possible.

Regards

Carl

brickmaster@aharddaysbrick.com

@ Dial222: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: Have you seen these instructions on how to get the interfaces up and running? What are you going to do with so many of them? :oh:

<snip>

No idea, but I do have both a 1090 and a 1092 set with a raft of 1030/32/34s to hookup! Balance are for sale on bricklink in my shop A Hard Days Brick.

Edited by Dial222

I now have six of the Interface A units having 0 just over two weeks ago. I also have a raft of the Bs. I'm keen to get the As up and running and would welcome the opportunity to discuss the wheres and whys if thats possible.

Regards

Carl

brickmaster@aharddaysbrick.com

Hey there how are you going to get multiple a's running as most USB to Parallel cables don't work? I be interested in how your going to do this.

I have VB code for Interface a and some for interface b, just not had chance to finish it

Hey there how are you going to get multiple a's running as most USB to Parallel cables don't work? I be interested in how your going to do this.

I have VB code for Interface a and some for interface b, just not had chance to finish it

I am hoping the Startech USB to Parrallel Adapter will do the trick. Otherwise I am a little scuppered since I have no means of connecting the D25M to 20pin ribbon cable to my laptop.

Once this is tested I can then figure out how to write something like the Original Lego Lines app that I have seen referenced in my 1455 Teachers pack.

C

I am hoping the Startech USB to Parrallel Adapter will do the trick. Otherwise I am a little scuppered since I have no means of connecting the D25M to 20pin ribbon cable to my laptop.

Once this is tested I can then figure out how to write something like the Original Lego Lines app that I have seen referenced in my 1455 Teachers pack.

C

That plan of attack failed now to try one of these converters:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/USB2LPT/liste.en.htm

Hi - Newbie to the site

Recently given an almost new Lego Technic 9700 Set and Interface A for beeb, for my son

Have taken on challenge to get interface linked to my old PC (fortunately with a parallel port)

Interested in VB source code to see how you have handled the "input" signlas from the sensor blocks - I have managed to work out most of the rest from first principles and a bit of GOG (good old google)

Thanks