Sign in to follow this  
Graynar

New Adventurers set -King's Gatehouse

Recap: With the Key of the castle dock, and the priceless sword of King Leownis in his belt, Johnny Thunder (and his friends) travel deeper into the land of castles, to the mighty castle of King Leownis! This also leads Thunder closer to General Veeronis, the dreaded lord of war!

Now: Johnny Thunder and Dr.Lighting have used the Scroll to locate King Leownis's mighty castle. But to get into the castle, the duo must get past the King's Gatehouse. The King's armour is located inside, but where is his golden crown? Trouble brews when JT runs into General Veeronis's right hand man - Huskar Von!

Read the back story

Take a look at the first three sets if you haven't:

01thewholeset.jpg_thumb.jpg

01fullset.jpg_thumb.jpg

00fullset.jpg_thumb.jpg

The whole JT folder

Now, the newest set: King's Gatehouse

01fullset.jpg_thumb.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/renovin/...4/01fullset.jpg Box art

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/renovin/...under/04/03.jpg Figs

29.99 American, (44.99 Canadian) with 378 pieces, 4 figs, one skeleton, and another piece of the King's armour.

Hope you like it. Comments are appreciated. :)

I hate you. I absolutely hate you. Just kidding, I actually thought that there was a new adventurers line and then I realized these were MOCS. Nice MOCs, but the topic title is so misleading. I am depressed again. RIP Adventurers.

but the topic title is so misleading

I wasn't thinking when I typed the title (second time *n* ). "Set" in the title can be changed to MOC easily enough though. ;-)

:-D i wouldn't worry about that.

anyway, on to the "set" <== :-P

you seem to be the king of mixing themes, grayner !!! i was seeing pirates and JT first, in "key of the castle dock". now, i see a prefect blend of CC and JT !!! i think your hitting it on the mark now, as the title of your adventurers sub-theme suggests. i think that is really the strong point of this MOC... it has the look of CC with the figs and surprises of the adventurers. interesting :-)

the overall frame of this MOC is great, and outweighs the traps and features (typical trap doors and levers). however, the multip-use trap on the reverse side of the castle is quite unique *y*

i love this MOC as a stand-alone... but i think your sub-theme as a whole lacks consistancy with minifigs. especially within the standard good-guy / bad-guy / natural-villian template of the official LEGO adventurers. and the croc seems out of place, as it doesn't appear anywhere else in the sub-theme.

i do love your work here grayner, how many more can we expect ???

- BM

I love that you do these.

I think they're very cool and creative.

--Mark

Thanks for the replies!

do love your work here grayner, how many more can we expect ???

2 more I think. The main big set, and one more small one. ;-)

I think they're very cool and creative.

Thank you!

lacks consistancy with minifigs

It's like a combo series as you mentioned, after the dislike of the Imperial guards, I kind of removed them and put in the soldier figs instead. *n*

and the croc seems out of place, as it doesn't appear anywhere else in the sub-theme.

Playability feature. The croc was imported from a rainforest somewhere to destroy Thunder. :-P

It has been a while friends. I just wanted to post an update that the last set will be posted soon, as I have finally gotten some free time and finished building it.

2 more I think. The main big set, and one more small one.

Actually it's one more, unless I have lots of free time to make 2. I just combined the small set with the big one, and it turned out quite well. *y*

New set, coming soon. ;-)

thanks for the update... we'll keep posted !!!

i can't believe this thread hasn't gotten more replies... really a shame.

- BrickMiner

thanks for the update... we'll keep posted !!!

i can't believe this thread hasn't gotten more replies... really a shame.

- BrickMiner

I was just about to say that. I love this idea for a theme! It is like the European Legends Adventurer theme that has been talked about many times as an idea for a further Adventurers line. I love the tank, particularily the big one in Heroes Tower. Love the explosion planting. So cool.

And also the little tank with the Gatling Gun. It is like a little armoured box... but I mean that in a good way LoL.

My favourite set is the Key of the Castle Dock set... I love the inclusion of the royal guards.

I think the idea could be pulled off a little better, just like some said about inconsistency, and I think you could have used a real world location and just made up the exact castles, but its really up to you.

I love the inclusion of the armed forces being put into this old land. Works really really well.

Sorry if my thread is really broken up... I just see and think about more and more things I like as I continue typing. You have inspired me(and I haven't been posting in monthes!). And that is a hard thing to do. So thank you.

- Sting

I think the idea could be pulled off a little better, just like some said about inconsistency, and I think you could have used a real world location and just made up the exact castles, but its really up to you.
Sting, are you suggesting he makes castle models inspired from real-life castles ??? im a little confused by the wording "made up" and "exact" used in the same sentense *wacko*

i think these employ the Adventurer's tradition of not-to-real structures very well... Grayner has done a fabulous job, in simulating the official JT feel *y*

- BrickMiner

I have been enjoying these as they have come along, sorry for not posting more..... I have no criticism to offer, because I am not qualified to criticize since I don't do this type of set (due to inherent lack of creativity). I think the 4 sets have been quite consistent in terms of structures and "army=ish" feel. A couple of figs (the "snake pliskin" like guy in the Gatehouse, and the castle fig on the second level of the Hero Tower) seem unnecesary, but these are trivial quibbles.

I think they are great, and I am looking forward to seeing the "BIG SET".

Hey thanks for the comments!

I know many people are complaining about the minifigure inconsistency, well as you very well know, I am no official LEGO expert. ;-) I had so many cool ideas and figs to put in the sets, I decided to put in most of them. But the imperial soldier fig is not out of the picture yet -as you all will soon see. I wish I had more time, school isn't very time friendly, but I should be done the big set soon -I hope.

If anyone's intrested, after I finish the JT theme, I was thinking of starting a new pretend theme. Ideas would be great. But a few warnings are -I'd make a pirate theme but I only have one ship to use and no sails. So pirates would be tough for me, even though I have plenty of blue coats to use. :-/

I was thinking of starting a new pretend theme. Ideas would be great. But a few warnings are -I'd make a pirate theme but I only have one ship to use and no sails. So pirates would be tough for me, even though I have plenty of blue coats to use. :-/
what are our options ??? it sounds like you don't feel comfortable with your pirate collection,... but that is the only theme you mentioned.

does that mean all the other themes are fair game for you ???

i'd like to see more Johnny Thunder (maybe Atlantis), Wild West (of course ;-) ), islanders... or since you seem to like making back stories, maybe a Knights Kingdom (1 or 2) X-D

- BrickMiner

No theme has more potential for fun and interesting building than the Adventurers. They go anywhere, do anything.... that's why it's so sad that TLC seems to have abandoned them.

By the way.... it is a general rule of mine that NO communication I have with TLC, whether phone survey, internet survey, or email contact, ever fails to mention that we want the Adventurers back. If we all do this, for long enough, I believe they ill listen.

Sting, are you suggesting he makes castle models inspired from real-life castles ??? im a little confused by the wording "made up" and "exact" used in the same sentense *wacko*

i think these employ the Adventurer's tradition of not-to-real structures very well... Grayner has done a fabulous job, in simulating the official JT feel *y*

- BrickMiner

Forgive me wording, I was probably listening to some crazy Math Rock band and too into the music to make proper sentences.

For example, the Egyptian and Amazon lines were in real world locations(Egypt and the Amazon), but they were not realife pyramids or tombs. (There was NOT a King Tut Burial Ground or Pyramid of Giza set - just "generic' tombs, ect)

I would have liked his Castle Adventurers line to take place in Early 20th Century Europe, IE - for example, in Germany, France, ect or something, and the castles dont have to be castles that actually exist - just made up ones (like he has done).

I just like the idea of using the real world locations, but having it be just made up sites (I.E. - have one small gatehouse be in Germany, but it would be a madeup gatehouse - like he has done). But maybe his made up country he uses would be in Europe, and it just gives him more creativity this way.

I love his models, and I wouldn't want it to be real world SITES (for Example, no Taj Mahal - just a Taj Mahal influences building(like there is).

Hope that makes sense!!

Smells like calculus spirit.

Stairway to Pi

can't say i've heard of those... but sometimes my hobby has me under a rock for months at a time ;-)

it sounds like a spoof type of genre (based on the titles above)... similar to wierd al.

- BrickMiner

can't say i've heard of those... but sometimes my hobby has me under a rock for months at a time ;-)

it sounds like a spoof type of genre (based on the titles above)... similar to wierd al.

- BrickMiner

I listen to Protest the Hero, Canadian Metal/Hardcore/Math Rock band. It includes lots of crazy time signature changes, key changes, and rhythm changes. Its basically loud, fast, aggressive (at most times) music that can change into quiet melodic breakdowns out of nowhere, and than switch time from 4/4 punk beat to a 3/4 chugging metal beat. Its quite ridiculous, and I usually am not fond of music like this, but these guys do it so WELL!!!

But to stay back on topic...

I love these ideas, and I only wish Lego could come up with something HALF as good. (I would be glad if Lego continued the Adventurer line period, but after 2 or 3 years I doubt its going to happen :-( )

- Sting

I love these ideas, and I only wish Lego could come up with something HALF as good. (I would be glad if Lego continued the Adventurer line period, but after 2 or 3 years I doubt its going to happen :-( )
however, it was that long between dino island and orient expedition !!! so it could definitely happen... and look at space... its rumored making a comeback next year, after being dead for 5-6 years.

could happen ;-)

- BrickMiner

Hey Graynar, sorry I haven't replied sooner ;-)

I had an overdose of WW sets (really I did) so I was not paying any attention on this forum any longer ;-)

I think you really deserve your title ;-) You really did a fantastic series there !! I sincerely hope you will venture into a new direction after that - Seriously ;-)

Once again you added some great accessories (love those flags), sweet vehicles (great car that changes from the JT ones ;-)) and off course loads of "nasty" traps *y*

Fantastic job once again !!

And BM, Space is NOT rumoured, it WILL happen - the only question is when :-P ;-)

*yoda*

Graynar: very creative to have mixed Adventurers with Castle. I think the King's Gatehouse is the best of your collection.

I had an overdose of WW sets (really I did) so I was not paying any attention on this forum any longer ;-)

Hey now! What's wrong with WW... >:-(

Hey now! What's wrong with WW... >:-(

Nothing at all, that theme just do NOT appeal to me at all !! Add numerous MOCs and topics and I am in heaven (ok, I will stopp beeing that sarcastic ;-) )

I was raised with old classic western movies that I still love very much ( *wub* ), especially the brutal yet exquisite The Wild Bunch.

Nonetheless there a a few things I like in that theme (those huge barrels and tree trunc, soldiers for Civil War MOCs and the Indian Chief for a Village People MOC). Those things are not enough to get me hyped on that theme. While I was with my ex German girlfriend, I could have bought numerous WW sets for pretty cheap (it was a Galleria Kauhoff - sorry for the probably wrong spelling- deal) but I skipped it totally remorseless ;-)

*yoda*

And BM, Space is NOT rumoured, it WILL happen - the only question is when :-P ;-)
ya, i meant rumored to be next year... though it could be the following year (as i understand it anyway ;-) )

Long Live Wild West !!!

oh, and JT and his gang too ;-)

:-P

- BrickMiner

Thanks for the replies guys -I've been away too long. Sorry for my long absence. :-$

But I have finished the final set -I'll be posting it soon (about time lol).