CorneliusMurdock

Brickworld Fort Wayne

The Fort Wayne display event isn't that far away (Oct 1+2). I saw on Chris Doyle's Flickr that he's bringing his "Mama Serenity". :sweet:

I plan on going that Saturday with my family. Anyone else going to be there? Or does anyone know what other cool stuff will be displayed?

Thank you for this post, this is the first I've heard about it. I am hoping you are talking about Fort Wayne,Indiana. If thats the location, then, yes I would like to try to attend that show. Now that I know about it I am going to try to look up show details, and I'm hoping for some train layouts. Thanks again!

Might be there, all depends on how free I am that weekend. Can't afford to head out to Brickcon this year, but depending on if I can get any other NILTC members, we might make a trip.

Yep I'm going, since I live there. Not displaying anything though. Anyone know if there are going to be vendors, or just looking at the displays?

I'm pretty new to the LEGO world... recently returned from my Dark Ages. I have a few questions about events like these...

What's the main purpose? Is it mostly just LEGO displays to go around and look at? How long does a person typically spend there? Are there any events? (the website doesn't have very much info).

Also, it doesn't look like there are any vendors here?

I'm wondering if it would be worth it-- should I spend $20 (on gas as I live an hour away...and a ticket), or would that be better spent on a LEGO set?

Thank you!

I wish there was more information on the website, too. The only reason I knew about it was that it was mentioned briefly in the Thoughts on Brickworld 2011 thread.

As far as I know, this is just a display kind of thing unlike the Chicago event. Not sure about the vendors. I'm hoping there are some, though.

And I hope it's worth the money, too. It's my first time attending something like this so I don't know either.

I wish there was more information on the website, too. The only reason I knew about it was that it was mentioned briefly in the Thoughts on Brickworld 2011 thread.

As far as I know, this is just a display kind of thing unlike the Chicago event. Not sure about the vendors. I'm hoping there are some, though.

And I hope it's worth the money, too. It's my first time attending something like this so I don't know either.

Thanks for the info! Not sure if I'll go yet... will probably wait 'til Saturday to decide. :sceptic: In general, I'm rather shy and not a fan of large rooms and lots of people!

I'm going! WOOT! Bringing my CFOL friend along with me... he's 11, so if you see a young woman with an 11-year-old kid, it might be me!

Not at all sure how long to plan to be there... an hour? two?

I'll be there showing off my animations, the MOCs I used to make them and selling DVDs, minifigs and custom sets.

:thumbup: Sweet

I'll be there showing off my animations, the MOCs I used to make them and selling DVDs, minifigs and custom sets.

Saw you there today (Nice videos)

My thoughts on Brickworld Ft Wayne:

Great first expo for a LEGO fan! I wasn't at all sure what to expect... but there was a good-sized room with lots of detailed displays! Since many of them were focused around buildings/cities, it was right up my alley. I took my 11-year-old friend... he liked all of the minifigures, Bionicle SW builds (I think that's what they were), the mosaics, and the LEGO ATM machine. :) We were there for about one hour and 45 minutes, but I probably could have spent a little more time looking at some of the displays. We went around fairly quickly the first time and then went back and looked at things more thoroughly. I didn't spend much time at the vendors but would've liked to look at them a bit further. My friend did purchase a minifig... he knew what he wanted and did some price comparisons. :thumbup:

Honestly, I was surprised that I had seen quite a few of these builds before-- in pictures online! Maybe I just spend too much time looking at LEGO on the web. :laugh: Even saw an EB Spaghetti Western entry!

Overall, it was worth the money and drive. Took TONS of pictures for inspiration and even talked to a few folks even though I'm rather shy.

Am I correct in assuming that Brickworld Indy will include many of the same displays?

I believe Brickworld-Indianapolis and Brickworld-Ft. Wayne are both by invite only. So if the same people are invited, you may see some of the same displays. The original Brickworld, in Chicago, is much bigger then either of these. At the current location, Brickworld-Chicago fills four massive rooms. Of course, many of the people who show up at Brickworld-Chicago have also been invited to attend one of the other Brickworlds so there is a good chance you will see some repetition...but there are always plenty of new items to be seen.

Glad you enjoyed your first LEGO show! Really though, don't be intimidated or shy. Many of the builders in this hobby are really social and always willing to answer questions or show techniques to someone who is genuinely interested. And if they are cocky and act like an megablocks, call 'em out here! This way, those of us that know them can bust their chops for a year!!!

My thoughts on Brickworld Ft Wayne:

Am I correct in assuming that Brickworld Indy will include many of the same displays?

Brickworld Indy is likely to have several of these displays, but many Indylug members were not able to participate in this show due to other life conflicts. Last year the majority of displays at Brickworld Indy were done almost entirely by IndyLug members. Even if the displays are similar they are never the exact same way twice. We change around all the details and add to all displays. You should be able to reasonably expect to see several new things every show you go to.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

-Steve McDonough

President of IndyLug

Our group (KLUG) displayed at BW Fort Wayne this past weekend and it was a really good show.

Attendance was great for such a small market. We constantly heard positive feedback form children and parents alike both days.

A huge plus for a lot of the families was the hands on mosaic build, build table with dark bley 2x4 brick and the duplo play area.

Monster Chess and Super Robo Rally were also a hit. The convention center was very nice, had plenty of room and amenities. All in All it was a great weekend and another fantastic Brickworld show. Thanks go to Bryan, Kathie and all the organizers of the event.

Looking forward to Fort Wayne next year and possibly Indy in the spring.

Monster Chess and Super Robo Rally were also a hit.

The Robo Rally was really awesome. As a fan of the game, it was great to see a real life version with actual robots. Unfortunately it wasn't being played when I was there. I did get a few pictures to show all of my board-gaming friends. Does anyone know of any videos online that show it in action?

The Chess was being played and it was indeed very cool, always with a good crowd around it while it was going.

The Robo Rally was really awesome. As a fan of the game, it was great to see a real life version with actual robots. Unfortunately it wasn't being played when I was there. I did get a few pictures to show all of my board-gaming friends. Does anyone know of any videos online that show it in action?

The Chess was being played and it was indeed very cool, always with a good crowd around it while it was going.

Check out Steve Hassenplug's website.

http://www.teamhassenplug.org/superroborally

I'm glad some people know what Robo Rally is. I've been wanting to make that game for several years. Sorry it wasn't running when you were there.

Here's a clip:

If you saw any videos from Gen Con, you may notice in this clip the robots are doing a better job of moving on the conveyor belts. Most of that has been reworked in the software, and we're still improving it.

Steve