Sign in to follow this  
snefroe

USS Constellation

That was a great review Snefroe1

I remember when this series first came out and I wanted the Rolls Royce Car but as you mentioned i was draw to Technic and bought the car Chassis instead.

It's a pity that TLC did not do a limited run of the old style windows for the set though.

Thanks Snefroe. I like the historical perspective. Amazing to that much of what we think of as Lego now actually began in 1978 (other than the plastic brick).

1978 was also the year of the yellow castle.

Thanks Sne for a superb review.

I think You've perfectly grasped what the USS Constellation set is all about.

KimT

[it's not what you see - it's what you feel]

I was born way too late.This is a wonderful set.It's very creative and probably helped pave the way for the pirate theme.Then again,I probably wouldn't have been able to afford this set.

That is a fantastic review, made some time ago but still...

I never really wanted this ship, it's a nice model, but I prefer the cars. However maybe for the classic feeling I should have bought it when it was on sale in Cologne Germany two years ago for only 25 euro's. Too late now.

About those cars:

I believe there has been a blue Renault too, quite large with those bigger windows as headlights, and some sort of formula one racing car in this serie of collector models. See below.

I came across the red Cadillac a few years ago in a toy-cars-shop (where they sell Matchbox and Burago and such) it was sitting on a shelf next to all those metal model cars, already built and in brand new condition. What a find. This one I bought immediately!

391-1.jpg

392-1.jpg

Great set Sne. I wanted this set back in the late 70s/early 80s when I was a kid, and regret not buying it when it was re-released. I just wish it was more along mini-fig scale.

Thanks for sharing the great images. Very nice set!

That is a fantastic review, made some time ago but still...

I never really wanted this ship, it's a nice model, but I prefer the cars. However maybe for the classic feeling I should have bought it when it was on sale in Cologne Germany two years ago for only 25 euro's. Too late now.

About those cars:

I believe there has been a blue Renault too, quite large with those bigger windows as headlights, and some sort of formula one racing car in this serie of collector models. See below.

I came across the red Cadillac a few years ago in a toy-cars-shop (where they sell Matchbox and Burago and such) it was sitting on a shelf next to all those metal model cars, already built and in brand new condition. What a find. This one I bought immediately!

391-1.jpg

392-1.jpg

you're right, the series dates back to the mid 70's, the four sets mentioned in the review being the left overs of the series. The ship, however, was launched in 1978...