Solscud007

3D Printed LEGO

I saw one of these printers on a morning talk show last week and immediately thought of the possibilities for LEGO. :tongue:

Today I found this crowd funding project of an affordable 3d printer.

www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter?a=549798

It's using resin.

Take a look in the middle of the page on the printed item and check out the photos looking on the small items.

Rather cool.

Take also a look on the printing video to see how the items are created.

It's said to cost $4k which is really affordable.

To my point of view with this device you can do

• prototyping
  • small series
  • colored prints

I personally want to get one (started my own crowd funding project today ... )

Woody64

Edited by woody64

Can that be used to make Cypress tree for less than $10 a pop?

Can you give me a reference about the Cypress tree you mean.

Currently I have no idea about the costs. Since it's then mainly driven by the resin costs it should be affordable (comparable to resin molds).

If you know the volume of the cypress tree it would also be easy to check the costs with the available 3d printing (in transparent the result should be fine).

Woody64

Think about it, in not too many years, individuals will be able to download and print any minifigure part imaginable, in any color, with any printing.

Will the 3d printer spell the end for LEGO? I am considering putting up my minifigure collection on eBay now while it is worth something...

I hate to come to this realization, but if a person can simply print up any minifigure, any LEGO component, or any entire set for that matter, with the click of a button, what does this say for collectibility?

Our sets and figures will crash in value. How would you even be able to tell the difference between the real deal and a printed up set? The problem is you really wouldn't.

How will you be able to tell the difference between your painstakingly acquired minifigure collection and a collection an 8 year old produced with his 3d printer in an afternoon?

The 3d printer is the biggest issue facing LEGO that I've ever seen, and I'm not sure what anyone can do about it.

A man in the United States has just produced a fully working gun with the primitive, $8,000 3d printing technology available now. Imagine how things will be in 10 years.

I'm not sure what material these printers use now, but surely it won't be long before they can use a material exactly the same or similar to basic LEGO plastic.

Scary stuff!

What are some ideas about how to deal with this problem? Are you considering selling your collection now?

I don't care about the monetary value of Lego bricks, being able to print any brick I want anytime I want would benefit me.

3D printing also probably has a long way to go before it can match the quality of an injection molded piece. All 3D printed parts are rough, and have grooves from where the layers were added to them. I have yet to be impressed by the quality of a 3D printed piece, and very few industries use 3D printers to make the final product, only prototypes. I think most Lego collectors would be able to easily spot the characteristics of a 3D printed piece easily.

EEEeenope.

Cardinal/Applesauce...

Though someone else can feel free to start a more sensible thread about 3D printing potential.

I have merged this with a previous discussion.

I agree with xboxtravis7992, it should take some time before 3D-printing reaches the injection quality. And even more time until this quality printers get public at a reasonable cost. And even at this time, people will have to get access to the parts files to print them. And reverse-engineered ones won't count as true Lego. Of course, 3D-printing will change the deal, but I think Lego will be able to take advantage of this technology.

Also, I believe some 3D-printers already use ABS (the plastic used by Lego), but the quality of parts printed that way is quite low.

Quality won't be there for another decade or two. Really when you get up close to 3d printed things they're not that hugely impressive. Some of the more expensive ones (talking REALLY expensive like 10k+) can do a good job but I'd still doubt the pieces would have the durability of Lego.

That said. It'll probably happen some day. I'm highly doubting Lego has much to worry about. First off it'll continue to be a niche market. It's neat but not everyone knows how to 3d model. Regular printers are much more accessible because you can print photos and stuff. They won't be overtaken. Even with more and more people learning to 3d model the amount won't increase THAT much. The casual people will still go to Lego. Piracy might be an issue meaning if you could download new bricks then print them. But I'm still doubting the costs will become realistic for another 20 years at least. And who knows, sometimes costs just DO NOT go down enough. Sometimes something is always impractical. That could mean it's even further than 20 years. It's hard to predict the future and not everything that was invented 30 years ago is affordable today.

100 years? It's anyone's game. I just don't think Lego has anything to worry about for at least a few decades. If they're lucky it'll happen slow enough for them to adapt and still be alive through some means.

Think about it, in not too many years, individuals will be able to download and print any minifigure part imaginable, in any color, with any printing.

Will the 3d printer spell the end for LEGO? I am considering putting up my minifigure collection on eBay now while it is worth something...

I hate to come to this realization, but if a person can simply print up any minifigure, any LEGO component, or any entire set for that matter, with the click of a button, what does this say for collectibility?

Our sets and figures will crash in value. How would you even be able to tell the difference between the real deal and a printed up set? The problem is you really wouldn't.

How will you be able to tell the difference between your painstakingly acquired minifigure collection and a collection an 8 year old produced with his 3d printer in an afternoon?

The 3d printer is the biggest issue facing LEGO that I've ever seen, and I'm not sure what anyone can do about it.

A man in the United States has just produced a fully working gun with the primitive, $8,000 3d printing technology available now. Imagine how things will be in 10 years.

I'm not sure what material these printers use now, but surely it won't be long before they can use a material exactly the same or similar to basic LEGO plastic.

Scary stuff!

What are some ideas about how to deal with this problem? Are you considering selling your collection now?

The problem with 3D printing is that its still no where near as good as the current methods LEGO use. It's also expensive, which is why I don't understand the large coverage around the 3D printed gun. It's cheaper to buy a gun and it still needs metal parts to work.

In LEGO terms though we have a printer that prints in ABS but, its a lot easier to mass produce plastics with injection moulding. I also doubt that the quality of printing will reach a point where it be on par with LEGOs quality for a while at least.

The same Arguement with the printed gun is that anyone can do it. Which is true however they need to have a machine that costs upwards of £5000 plus materials. It's not economically viable for a good few years.

sorry, it looks still too inexactly for building, but interestlingly enough for further development (if prices drops looot looooot loooot :wink: )

My first print after calibate my 3D printer., much more better than the example suplied.

Not perfect but its my first 3D print!!!

lafotobs.th.jpg

I's an example of use 3D prints with lego like pieces, I intend buy this piece two times at expesive prices and can`t buy it because the vendors don't distribute outside the country residence, at 40/60 €.

In same case I want buy a bretelle, is more complicated but I find it at 150€ expensive but affordable en amazon.de,but the more than 400€ in amazon.es its a nonsense it`s crazy!!!! I see priced and this shop dispatchs international orders but few almost 1/3 of the price of the machine winth 5 rolls of material ABS filaments!!!! I'll search a design already made or make a own custom piece to insert between the four standard switches, ¡¡¡The sky is the limit!!!

This 90º cross it's the best substitute to the original one, other ingenious solutions be fine, functional but no much realistic

If I found original pieces at a affordable price I buy it!!!!

Edited by James_T_Menendez

This might actually be a huge game changer if it makes it all the way to production (Which it looks like the Kickstarter goal has been reached). a $350 home 3d printer. (Yes you read that price correctly)

http://www.bitrebels.com/technology/cheap-buccaneer-home-3d-printer/

At that price I think I might actually get one of these to mess around with.