Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

The message goes like this:

kingdoms-story.png

...nah.

Here is my problem, I think its fake, look at it the images are different to what is being said, now I admit I do not use TWITter but why is there 2 comments from the lego group but 1 image of their logo.

Here is my problem, I think its fake, look at it the images are different to what is being said, now I admit I do not use TWITter but why is there 2 comments from the lego group but 1 image of their logo.

No, it's most definitely real, I actually checked Twitter at the time. Only the middle comment is from Lego. The only way in which it could be 'fake' is that LEGO_Group isn't a verified account, so potentially could be anyone but the activity there doesn't seem to suggest a faked account. It's still possible that it was someone responding without proper authority or knowledge, but it seems most unlikely.

I think that it is possible either way, although from the sounds of it Lego will be doing at least another wave of Kingdoms before they discontinue it. Also LOTR is high fantasy, not necessarily a full fledged castle theme so Lego could continue their regular castle line. Also, if you look at SW Lego still sells regular generic Sci Fi themes alongside of SW because Sci Fi has such a large following. The same can almost be said for the Medieval Fantasy Genre. Now, POTC comes from the Pirate Genre and IJ comes from the Adventure/Explorer Genre which, neither have very big followings compared to the previous two mentioned.

I personally think that LOTR could continue on for ten years simply because of the amount of content that Lego has to work with just from the movies alone and the following that LOTR and Medieval Fantasy has and I also think that Lego could continue their regular "historic" castle line without the two competing. However, if I am wrong I personally do not care either way and would be happy with LOTR continuing on for a number of years as there is so much content for Lego to produce and as I am a big fan of the series. :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

Well, considering Lego Shop at Home has removed all the 2010 and 2011 Kingdoms sets from their site and stores are not restocking any of the sets, I'm pretty sure they're gone.

Edited by eliminator

I am really hoping to see some Castle continue. I am hoping it goes the way that Space did with the Star Wars line out. Lego was able to keep going with themes like Space Police, Alien Invasion, Mars Mission, etc....But i Must say that seeing the Kingdoms off of shop.lego and seeing them all on clearance at nearly every store I go to is disheartening!

This is what doesn't make sense to me and anyone with more LEGO experience, please add to this. Why would LEGO say Castle will continue and then pull all the sets off of Shop at Home and from stores? If they were truly going to allow the Castle theme to continue, why would the only set available be one with a retail price of $119.99 USD? They're essentially leaving parents/kids with only the option of Lord of the Rings. To me, that's giving the Castle theme a death sentence.

I am really hoping to see some Castle continue. I am hoping it goes the way that Space did with the Star Wars line out. Lego was able to keep going with themes like Space Police, Alien Invasion, Mars Mission, etc....But i Must say that seeing the Kingdoms off of shop.lego and seeing them all on clearance at nearly every store I go to is disheartening!

I wish I could still find ANY Kingdoms, full price or not. I am glad I went with intuition and bought the second wave earlier than normal... Or I would have none! The first wave even seemed short, but the second wave was ridiculously short, did they not manufacture as many sets or something?

My gut feeling is LOTR is replacing Kingdom's for the short term, thanks to an Aussie toy retailers website listing all that's available to it next year....no new Kingdom's listed, likewise no trains or space theme either. :sadnew:

I think that it is possible either way, although from the sounds of it Lego will be doing at least another wave of Kingdoms before they discontinue it. Also LOTR is high fantasy, not necessarily a full fledged castle theme so Lego could continue their regular castle line. Also, if you look at SW Lego still sells regular generic Sci Fi themes alongside of SW because Sci Fi has such a large following. The same can almost be said for the Medieval Fantasy Genre. Now, POTC comes from the Pirate Genre and IJ comes from the Adventure/Explorer Genre which, neither have very big followings compared to the previous two mentioned.

I personally think that LOTR could continue on for ten years simply because of the amount of content that Lego has to work with just from the movies alone and the following that LOTR and Medieval Fantasy has and I also think that Lego could continue their regular "historic" castle line without the two competing. However, if I am wrong I personally do not care either way and would be happy with LOTR continuing on for a number of years as there is so much content for Lego to produce and as I am a big fan of the series. :classic:

What have you read/heard that Kingdoms will be getting "at least" one more wave? If it's continuing, why would they clear out S@H?

...I prefer a ancient theme. :thumbup:

For example:

Wave 1: Greece

Wave 2: Troy, Egypt (pyramids/temples)

Wave 3: Persian, India (Alexander)

Wave 4: Rome Empire

Wave 5: Rome Empire, Carthage, south provinces

Wave 6: Rome Empire, north provinces (Gaul, Britania, Germania)

Wave 7: ...any more sets :tongue::sweet:

I wish I could still find ANY Kingdoms, full price or not. I am glad I went with intuition and bought the second wave earlier than normal... Or I would have none! The first wave even seemed short, but the second wave was ridiculously short, did they not manufacture as many sets or something?

Move to Belgium! I was there over the holidays and dropped into a toy shop and they had the entire range. All at full retail (European) price though. I rarely see it in stores in the UK and it's almost always full price. It was hard to resist breaking the bank on it, but I did pick up last year's advent calendar (which I love) and the little Blacksmith Attack set.

I kind of missed all of Kingdoms (dark years!) and, despite being excited about the Lord of the Rings, really hope it makes a comeback. I just wish I saw it in stores and could pick up some of it on the cheap now and then.

What have you read/heard that Kingdoms will be getting "at least" one more wave? If it's continuing, why would they clear out S@H?

This is what someone posted on the Kingdoms section of the official Lego message board:

"emailed customer service seeing if Kingdoms is going to be around still or if its going to the archive like all the other great sets. the following was my response

"The kingdom series is hugely popular! as you can see by all the sold out sets! Don't worry I believe it's here to stay even with Lord of the Rings making it's fantastic big debut. Thank you again for contacting us. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply.""

and

"I have confirmation that Kingdoms will continue while Lord of the Rings is out.

L-A-M-P <<<, returned from retirement "

http://messageboards.lego.com/en-US/showpost.aspx?PostID=4744936

...I prefer a ancient theme. :thumbup:

For example:

Wave 1: Greece

Wave 2: Troy, Egypt (pyramids/temples)

Wave 3: Persian, India (Alexander)

Wave 4: Rome Empire

Wave 5: Rome Empire, Carthage, south provinces

Wave 6: Rome Empire, north provinces (Gaul, Britania, Germania)

Wave 7: ...any more sets :tongue::sweet:

This was what I was thinking. A theme that is historic, but not very close to LotR. A Roman theme and LotR at the same time would be my dream! But Kingdoms continuing would also be great!

nah I have a feeling Kingdoms is done. :hmpf_bad:

sure that message is implying CASTLE will continue besides LOTR and the Joust. But most of the sets for the year have already been seen or heard of unless they are keeping it under tight wraps (doubt that though).

Edited by Macoco

I think kingdoms is done but there will be castle theme instead, I mean I really can not see LotR make them any money from sets.

I think kingdoms is done but there will be castle theme instead, I mean I really can not see LotR make them any money from sets.

I can see it being reasonably successful. Star Wars is full of adults who love to collect toys and merchandise from that universe, and the Star Wars Lego theme has been going strong for ten years. Fans of Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean aren't as dedicated, and their Lego themes were shorter lived.

While I don't think LOTR is as big a franchise as Star Wars, there are still quite a lot of avid followers who collect replica rings and take tours around New Zealand visiting the shooting locations of the films and that sort of thing. I think LOTR is probably going to be the second biggest licensed theme after LOTR, and I can't really think of a franchise that would be bigger than those two.

(Note: I do live in Wellington, where LOTR worship is blown a little out of proportion, so LOTR might not be as big to the rest of the world as it seems here)

(Note: I do live in Wellington, where LOTR worship is blown a little out of proportion, so LOTR might not be as big to the rest of the world as it seems here)

Exactly, besides the movies are done, SW does well because they started when the first movie came out, then had 2 more movies and a TV series to keep it going, I mean look at it most of the sets are CW meant for kids which is why it does well because kids nag their mum and dads to buy them, how many kids are going to buy toys from a movie almost a decade old with no on going media to entertain them and make them want to buy it.

LotR will be dead with in 2 years if that just like most licences themes.

I think LOTRs licence will work out great, cause there are so many LOTR fans out there, like SW fans too.

I dont care for licenced sets, I have decided that I wont buy i licenced set (RALLS) but I dont care if somebody else does it. SW licence as been a good money bringer and new collecters to TLG (ofcourse Lucas as taken some of it) hopefuly LOTR will be too. So TLG can do other sets, like castle theme going side to side with LOTR theme. Dosen`t matter if Kingdoms end but if Castle theme is replaced by lotr then its bad idea. I would like to see castle themed small and medium not over priced sets, with diffrent medieval themes, that you can build bigger villages and towns, ofcourse you can do it already with the bricks you have but it would be cool if lego would continue this pattern it had here with kingdoms, make mills and stable, shops etc. like City has does small sets with one minfig and some accesories. That my rabbling babbling but and good idea to continue from here :blush:

I think LOTRs licence will work out great, cause there are so many LOTR fans out there, like SW fans too.

I dont care for licenced sets, I have decided that I wont buy i licenced set (RALLS) but I dont care if somebody else does it. SW licence as been a good money bringer and new collecters to TLG (ofcourse Lucas as taken some of it) hopefuly LOTR will be too. So TLG can do other sets, like castle theme going side to side with LOTR theme. Dosen`t matter if Kingdoms end but if Castle theme is replaced by lotr then its bad idea. I would like to see castle themed small and medium not over priced sets, with diffrent medieval themes, that you can build bigger villages and towns, ofcourse you can do it already with the bricks you have but it would be cool if lego would continue this pattern it had here with kingdoms, make mills and stable, shops etc. like City has does small sets with one minfig and some accesories. That my rabbling babbling but and good idea to continue from here :blush:

I agree with you on all of that. I think that LOTR will do well and may last longer than 2 years and I also think that a generic castle theme alongside of it would be great. Hopefully we will all see some pictures of new castle sets soon since it seems that Lego is going to continue that genre with new sets. :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

Exactly, besides the movies are done, SW does well because they started when the first movie came out, then had 2 more movies and a TV series to keep it going, I mean look at it most of the sets are CW meant for kids which is why it does well because kids nag their mum and dads to buy them, how many kids are going to buy toys from a movie almost a decade old with no on going media to entertain them and make them want to buy it.

Well I can always hope. My little bro was ten when the first LotR came out. He loved them and still does, and definately would've bought LEGO LotR as would I. I could see the LotR line lasting just a few years, but I'm sure it could go on to be one of the most succesful liscenses too.

I'm not too sure on Castle coming back yet, hopefully it does.

I loved castle themed sets as a kid and Kingdoms brought me back into that nostalgic love. But seeing everything discounted heavily and discontinued, I would imagine Kingdoms is done for now. I find it really odd that the second wave had about 6-7 months before it was discontinued, but I guess TLG has their marketing/business ideas that I can't fully understand.

Hopefully something will be available for the other half that doesn't like expensive licensed sets.

This is what someone posted on the Kingdoms section of the official Lego message board:

"emailed customer service seeing if Kingdoms is going to be around still or if its going to the archive like all the other great sets. the following was my response

"The kingdom series is hugely popular! as you can see by all the sold out sets! Don't worry I believe it's here to stay even with Lord of the Rings making it's fantastic big debut. Thank you again for contacting us. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply.""

and

"I have confirmation that Kingdoms will continue while Lord of the Rings is out.

I would take anything that is said by Lego's customer service with a whole truck of salt. I believe that we've seen that information from that customer service to be unreliable before.

Also I work at a store selling lego and 100% of the current Lego Kingdoms theme (yes, even the last wave with Mill Village Raid!!) has been put up on the "exit-list". and thats why the sets are marked sold out. Because they are and they won't return into stock.

and

I would take anything that is said by Lego's customer service with a whole truck of salt. I believe that we've seen that information from that customer service to be unreliable before.

Also I work at a store selling lego and 100% of the current Lego Kingdoms theme (yes, even the last wave with Mill Village Raid!!) has been put up on the "exit-list". and thats why the sets are marked sold out. Because they are and they won't return into stock.

Interesting conflict here. If I had to guess I would say that kingdoms is only gone for a short while, but will be back within a year or two even though new LOTR sets will still be coming out.

The Kingdoms Joust set will be out at the same time as the LotR sets. Probably this is what they were talking about.

How many kids have watched The Clone Wars, liked it, and then wanted to watch the movies - including ones that are about 30 years old?!

The Hobbit movie might create interest in the old movies in the same way that TCW likely did for Star Wars.