crossmr

OM3303 Transport Chopper - Oxford Review

Name: OM3303

Theme: Military

Pieces: No idea, I could count the piece sheet, it's not handy

Price: 26000 won ($23.37 USD)

Minifigs: 7

Time: About 1.5 hours

As I mentioned in the military guide, Oxford has released four new military sets. This is the first one I got my hands on, and it is sexy.

I'll post more pictures later, as it took longer to put together than I expected, and I ran short on time. There is a lot to cover in this review, and it's pretty much all good. This is fine chopper with some new and interesting unique pieces. Also new minifigures and new guns.

Box

om33031.jpg

Just a stock image, it looks the same. The Box has a great picture on it and shows off the set well. You can see all the figures, as well as get a feel for the set itself. The guy in the chopper manning the mini gun appears to be photo shopped in. I just can't see how you'd get a mini in that position without ripping his legs off.

Instructions

Standard instruction book.

Well illustrated. Oxford has now introduced individual piece count sheet at the end, but no total. When I get a few minutes I'll go through and add it all up.

Pieces

Here is the interesting part. Oxford has introduced several new ideas with the new military line. We have sliding doors. Sliding doors. I need to say it twice. I don't know if Lego does that. Basically it's a 1x4 piece with a track attached to one side. The track has a groove above and below so it can be the bottom or top universally. The door has a little bit of a piece on it sticking out to help it from sliding right off. They've also got a few new shaped pieces I hadn't seen before, like new sized curved pieces. The helicopter blades are huge and great. They have attachable missiles and bombs, which are weird, because the set doesn't show them, but the sprues were included. They also have 2x4 smooth top thin blocks. I hadn't seen those before.

imgp2275i.jpg

imgp2276n.jpg

Sort is standard Oxford sorting. I'm not sure whose logic it's based on, but you just gotta dump them all out.

Minifigs

7 minifigs. These figures have a new body construction. Their bodies are not compatible with old figures. I'll get a shot of it, but the legs and torso now have a tongue and groove kind of piece set into them, so that the legs don't just plug in, they've got a tiny bit of the lower torso attached to go together. Heads and hands and accessories are still the same. They have new printed faces, and new printed torsos. They also feel better. The old Oxford minis were the only weak point. They were good, but not quite a lego figure. The new ones are much more solid feeling.

Also, new GUNS. The old Oxford guns were kind of big sized. Great for a gun emplacement, but ridiculous to carry around. The new ones are probably scaled with Brickarms type stuff in terms of size. They seem well suited for the figures. I hope they'll release some mini figure sets with these sprues so that we can cheaply get more weapons that actually fit the guys. Comes with some weird pliers that are too thin to fit in anyone's hands.

One of the pilot's eyes look distinctly female also!

Construction

There is nothing special about the construction here, except that they include 2 pieces to be used only while building it. You know normally the back end of a chopper goes down, so it's not flat. They've included 2 2x2 thin yellow flats to make the set level during construction. When you put on the wheels you take them off and they are spare.

imgp2279f.jpg

imgp2280v.jpg

imgp2281s.jpg

imgp2283.jpg

Finished models

There are actually 2 models here. A Chopper and an anti-tank gun. The gun feels a little tacked on and out of place, but even if it was just the chopper at this price it'd be worth it. They're both very solid. The chopper is strong and doesn't feel loose or like you have to be careful with it. There are so many play options with this. Lots of places to put guys.

imgp2278z.jpg

imgp2277i.jpg

imgp2284.jpg

imgp2285s.jpg

imgp2286e.jpg

Conclusion

This is a fantastic model. I haven't been this excited building a model in a long time. It fits well with other military stuff already out. The chopper is just wonderful all around. I can't really find a flaw with it at all. Easy access cockpits (they have a kind of false roof, that very easily detaches to allow you to put guys in there), lots of places to store guys, an anti-tank gun tossed in, 7 figures (for this price!), great faces, great new weapons. The set just keeps on giving as you move to the next aspect. I can't score it, because as far as I'm concerned it's the perfect set right now. I really need to order the Anti-Aircraft with Humvee next so I can shoot it down ;)

any questions/requests for further pics, just ask.

Edited by crossmr

Wow, what a cool copter. Mind showing some other angles of the completed set, and also the sliding door?

Wow, a set like this might just tempt me into a clone brand... especially as we'll likely never see a set like this from LEGO. Lovely colour :wub: And not a bad review! As prateek says, some more pictures of the details would be nice :wink:

Incidentally, LEGO have been doing sliding doors for years, with a similar technique. Check out this train carriage from 1983:

7819-1.jpg

Great review 'crossmr', actually looks like a great helicopter....quite well designed too (surprised,.........yes :blush: )

Perhaps these clone companies are learning to lift their game eh ? :wink:

Brick On ! :grin:

Incidentally, LEGO have been doing sliding doors for years, with a similar technique. Check out this train carriage from 1983:

Thanks for letting me know, I never got the train stuff before. I've been a pirates guy for like 20 years ;)

Great review 'crossmr', actually looks like a great helicopter....quite well designed too (surprised,.........yes :blush: )

Don't be too surprised. Oxford does seem to design things very well. See some of my tank reviews from them.

Wow, what a cool copter. Mind showing some other angles of the completed set, and also the sliding door?

Sure I'll get a chance later on today to take a few more pictures

Good review. Is the copter a clone of a Blackhawk?

I'm not sure. So far Oxford has been making copies of various Korean military vehicles. In the past though, they've actually indicated which vehicle it's based on. On this box, I didn't see anything saying which vehicle it is.

After googling though, I think it's a UH-60 Blackhawk Helicopter which they seem to use.

See this news story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/15/us-korea-usa-drills-idUSTRE67E06220100815

Just counted, 386 pieces on the piece sheet, 7 figures, 7 helmets, 4 backpacks, and weapon sprues.

Here are a few more shots of the set. You can see the tongue and groove between the legs and body in this picture.

imgp2412v.jpg

imgp2411w.jpg

imgp2410x.jpg

imgp2409p.jpg

imgp2408af.jpg

imgp2407o.jpg

imgp2406l.jpg

imgp2405e.jpg

imgp2404m.jpg

imgp2403h.jpg

imgp2402c.jpg

imgp2401y.jpg

imgp2400r.jpg

imgp2399r.jpg

imgp2398.jpg

Interesting. So it seems Oxford also has that 4x3 half canopy like Kreo does. Also, Lego really needs to release more slopes like the ones in this set.

Interesting. So it seems Oxford also has that 4x3 half canopy like Kreo does. Also, Lego really needs to release more slopes like the ones in this set.

Kreo may be getting their designs/blocks from Oxford from what I've seen. They have a number of pieces that seem to be unique to Oxford

Kreo may be getting their designs/blocks from Oxford from what I've seen. They have a number of pieces that seem to be unique to Oxford

Yeah, it seems Kreo gets piece designs from other companies and uses them together.

That's quite nice.

I'd buy one if I saw them in the shop.

Are these (this and the other set) their standard detail level for their sets? or is this part of more of a 'model' line - it's quite detailed for usual mass produced set. I like!

That's quite nice.

I'd buy one if I saw them in the shop.

Are these (this and the other set) their standard detail level for their sets? or is this part of more of a 'model' line - it's quite detailed for usual mass produced set. I like!

It's their standard model line.

They are generally based on real world vehicles, so they give them some nice attention.

In about a week or so I'll be able to confirm whether or not people can quickly and easily order stuff from an online Korean marketplace. If so, I'll be making a post detailing how you can buy Oxford sets at these prices directly.

I just want to confirm the overseas guinea pig gets his order in a timely manner and properly so :)

--snip--

If so, I'll be making a post detailing how you can buy Oxford sets at these prices directly.

I just want to confirm the overseas guinea pig gets his order in a timely manner and properly so :)

what th?? so that's all i am ,eh?? :sceptic:

aw well...just call me cavy jones! :classic:

..joseph g

what th?? so that's all i am ,eh?? :sceptic:

aw well...just call me cavy jones! :classic:

..joseph g

hehe.. well I figured if anyone would be up to give it a shot it would be you. It was said with the most intended affection. Glad to hear you got your order already!

hehe.. well I figured if anyone would be up to give it a shot it would be you. It was said with the most intended affection. Glad to hear you got your order already!

no offense taken at all, my friend. thanks a bunch for finding a way for us to get oxford at more reasonable prices!!

..jg

...does anybody know why big retailers like Target and Walmart doesn't carry this brand?... I mean, we have Hyundai and KIA from South Korea... we have MB and all those crappy clone brands... why not Oxford?...

Ok... I just receive my first order from Gmarket witth this set. everything forked great!!!! Delivery time, since the moment I payed with paypal till I got my box was of 10 days ( to Buenos Aires, Argentina). everything arived in great condition, so I think that anyone interested can go for it without fear.

Now, after having built the set, I can only say one thing:

LEGO, you're in serious trouble!!!!

I state this because the quality of this set is simply AMAZING. Plastic is of the same quality as the one LEGO uses. Color consistency is better than what you can find in most LEGO sets. Packagging is BETTER than that of LEGO products (more similar to what Lego used to give us long ago). Instructions are of equal quality to those of LEGO. And lastly, the price vs piece count + number of minifigs (which are of great quality, better than the CM minifigs and equeal to regular minifigs) is much better than that of LEGO. I know a lot of people will jump at me for saying htis, but I seriously thinl that the existance of this company is great for us, customers as it really poses a threat to LEGO's hegemony, thus oblyging them to keep working even harder (better packagging, colr consistency, creativity, ect.)

Ok... I just receive my first order from Gmarket witth this set. everything forked great!!!! Delivery time, since the moment I payed with paypal till I got my box was of 10 days ( to Buenos Aires, Argentina). everything arived in great condition, so I think that anyone interested can go for it without fear.

Now, after having built the set, I can only say one thing:

I state this because the quality of this set is simply AMAZING. Plastic is of the same quality as the one LEGO uses. Color consistency is better than what you can find in most LEGO sets. Packagging is BETTER than that of LEGO products (more similar to what Lego used to give us long ago). Instructions are of equal quality to those of LEGO. And lastly, the price vs piece count + number of minifigs (which are of great quality, better than the CM minifigs and equeal to regular minifigs) is much better than that of LEGO. I know a lot of people will jump at me for saying htis, but I seriously thinl that the existance of this company is great for us, customers as it really poses a threat to LEGO's hegemony, thus oblyging them to keep working even harder (better packagging, colr consistency, creativity, ect.)

Glad you're happy! If I had more room, I'd like to get more Oxford sets. Maybe after I move I can set up a bit of a Lego room. I'd like to get some of their town stuff, like the 3 in 1 bus set they have, and I'd really like to spend a little more time with their historical sets. Post some pictures when you get a chance!

Edited by crossmr

Hey is this the place where you bought it? http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=224991715&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=oxford+military

If so, I assume it's a safe site, but please respond. I'd love to get my hands on these; the price is right. :classic:

(EDIT) Nvm, I found your topic on how to buy them :grin:

Edited by Nightshroud99

Hey is this the place where you bought it? http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=224991715&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=oxford+military

If so, I assume it's a safe site, but please respond. I'd love to get my hands on these; the price is right. :classic:

(EDIT) Nvm, I found your topic on how to buy them :grin:

Yep... there's where I bought it. Have ordered a couple more set... gues they will be arriving in a week or so...

Ok... I just receive my first order from Gmarket witth this set.--snipp-- I can only say one thing:

sing it, brother!!

i've been a huge fan of oxford for a couple of years now and it's fantastic that we can now get these at more affordable prices so that more folks can discover the QUALITY sets they produce!!

..jg

Oxford military chopper and cannon OM3303

I bought a set and it has missing pieces. anyone know where to get spares?