WilliamWalls

WIP: building a brig

Hi,

I intended to build a frigate but due to a budgetary restriction (series 5) I had to cut back my ambitious plans, or at least postpone them.

I am building the brig with a simplified version of the new building technique I demonstrated earlier this month. I simplified the base (just some tiles) and the side is not build upside down.

I hope you like it already. Comment is welcome.

ship1total.jpg

ship2side.jpg

ship3back.jpg

I used a golden goblet to represent the bell:

ship4top.jpg

And the first crewmember: a surgeon (works well with the blacksmith's outfit too)

surgeon.jpg

EDIT: I resized the pictures.

I already changed the masts and the capain's cabin. Right now I am designing a round window to replace the last gunport in the side. The next BL order is on its way, it will be used to construct the left side of the ship.

@Bjornu: I will finish the ship, only the plans are restricted to a brig, and not a frigate.

Edited by WilliamWalls

Too bad your budget is a little short, I really would like the finished version of the Brig!

I hope your able to finish him!

Greetz Bjornu

Hello there, and welcome to the forum. :pir-classic:

Would you please resize your pictures to a limit of 800x600 pixels? It would make the page much easier to load, especially for those with a slow connection or mobile phones.

There are some helpful tutorials in my signature, they might be handy.

Already thanks!

Once you've done it I would be more then glad to provide some feedback on your brig. :pir-sweet:

Looks quite promising! I like the colours and all the deck details. They really add to the realistic feeling.

The shape is also rather good, but I think you could make it more narrow towards the stern.

As you can see here for example, the deck at the stern is almost half as wide as the widest part of the ship.

And if you would make the ship a bit longer you would have more room for the capstan of course.

Good luck on it. I'm looking forward to the next update :pir-classic:

With that color sheme and that stern one can clearly see that your using the "Lady Washington" as a source of inspiration, wich means that it is good ...

With that color sheme and that stern one can clearly see that your using the "Lady Washington" as a source of inspiration, wich means that it is good ...

how do you figure?

IMG_4422_edited-1.jpg

Looks quite promising! I like the colours and all the deck details. They really add to the realistic feeling.

The shape is also rather good, but I think you could make it more narrow towards the stern.

As you can see here for example, the deck at the stern is almost half as wide as the widest part of the ship.

And if you would make the ship a bit longer you would have more room for the capstan of course.

Good luck on it. I'm looking forward to the next update :pir-classic:

I had one new stern mold left, I am using that to make the ship longer, or at least I try to use it. The new molds are very unhandy to use as a stern since they are too round. To make the transition from a half-round stern mold to a flat stern I used hinges, however it still needs some fine-tuning. I also have some difficulties making the side window because most designs I made are too big to fit in the low side of the ship. Nothing I can't solve.

Right now the side narrows to the stern from 17 studs to 12, the picture you posted came in handy. I myself use images from an encyclopedia written by John Batchelor and Christopher Chant, and animations from the videogame 'Empire: Total War’. I saw some pictures of the Lady Washington but she was not my main inspiration, I am not building a replica, although I am sure she has influenced some of the design.

I also changed the capstan – already before posting the pictures –she is moved to the upper deck, resting on a frame, without too much decoration.

Thanks for the comments everyone! As soon as I fixed the stern and sidewindow I'll give an update.

Willem

FIRST UPDATE:

After some puzzeling and brainstorming I found a good way to use the round new stern mold. I sharpened the curve of the ship and added a side window. I think got the shape right this time. Next step is waiting for my BL order to build the other side of the ship, and then making another BL order for the stern I showed you an LDD model of some days ago. Here are a few pictures:

shipupdate1.jpg

shipupdate2.jpg

shipupdate3.jpg

The coming five days I'll be exploring Paris, but before I leave I want to give you some new pictures of my ship under construction.

She will be named "Aurora". She is becoming bigger than planned: I just wanted to add a third mast, I think it looks better this way.

shipsecondupdate1.jpg

shipsecondupdate2.jpg

shipsecondupdate3.jpg

shipsecondupdate4.jpg

Did you notice the steering wheel and the wheels that retract the anchor? They all work!

Regards,

Willem

She's looking great, I like your technique and the interior of the cabin. The functionality of the deck details is sweet.

Personally I think three masts is too many, but it's your ship.

PS I hope you are having fun in Paris! :pir-laugh:

I have added the left side of the ship. The following updates will probably come at a slower pace because the academic year has taken off and that means I will be busy studying the coming months. Maybe I'll build a longer version of this ship later, the frigate version if you like. The Aurora apparently was a sixth rate ship of war. Another project I want to build is a galleon, using the same smooth techinque and more decoration, but that will be for after the completion of Aurora.

update3picture1.jpg

update3picture2.jpg

update3picture3.jpg

update3picture4.jpg

update3picture5.jpg

Comment is always welcome

Regards,

WilliamWalls

Ps: @skipper: Paris was great :pir-grin: , thanks

Edited by WilliamWalls

I have to be honest, the first iteration of your ship seemed a bit dumpy and flat and I liked it not at all.

However, this version is just really great. You've done a lot and made it a very successful design, imo. It's well proportioned, it's realistic (but not too much so), it's got an accurate design and layout style, and it's got neat features like an actual rudder/wheel assembly. Great work, I can't wait to see it finished.

Looks excellent. I agree with Norrington that it has improved a lot.

The wheel, the bell and the grates are all great details.

I think that if you want to place the capstans that close to the bowsprit, perhaps a horizontal one will look better though (like on the Endeavour, called windlass I believe).

Also, because the ship has an open deck, perhaps 2 masts will suit better.

These are just suggestions though, and the ship will turn out nicely anyway :pir-classic:

it is really looking good, the bell, the working capstan's for the anchor's, the smooth lines and accurate shapes

I only don't like the gear system you use to control the rudder.

Bart

Wow, she’s really coming along. I do like her better as a brig though. If I have one complaint it’s that red gear, under the wheel, don’t know if that part even comes in another color, but if it were black or even dark grey it would be a lot less noticeable. Admiral Croissant is correct, a windlass might be more appropriate, and it seems you could even build out that structure which supports the bow sprit to accommodate one. Thanks for sharing her, and good luck in school.

I have to be honest, the first iteration of your ship seemed a bit dumpy and flat and I liked it not at all.

However, this version is just really great. You've done a lot and made it a very successful design, imo. It's well proportioned, it's realistic (but not too much so), it's got an accurate design and layout style, and it's got neat features like an actual rudder/wheel assembly. Great work, I can't wait to see it finished.

Looks excellent. I agree with Norrington that it has improved a lot.

The wheel, the bell and the grates are all great details.

I think that if you want to place the capstans that close to the bowsprit, perhaps a horizontal one will look better though (like on the Endeavour, called windlass I believe).

Also, because the ship has an open deck, perhaps 2 masts will suit better.

These are just suggestions though, and the ship will turn out nicely anyway :pir-classic:

The brig version of Aurora was an attempt to make a nice, short ship, but I noticed not everyone liked it. The uncommom lenght/width ratio made her look plump I guess. I'm glad you like this version better. I have fine tuned the building technique with many hinges to give her the right shape, and I want to add as many details as possible.

The wheel and bell are my idea, but credit for the grates goes to EB member Perfectionist (in my "planning version" I placed 1x1 plates upside down on a 6x6 plate to create a simmilar affect).

I have seen both the 2 and 3 mast version and I think the 3 mast version looks better. The third mast will also look better when I add the back deck (poop deck I think it's called).

it is really looking good, the bell, the working capstan's for the anchor's, the smooth lines and accurate shapes

I only don't like the gear system you use to control the rudder.

Bart

Wow, she’s really coming along. I do like her better as a brig though. If I have one complaint it’s that red gear, under the wheel, don’t know if that part even comes in another color, but if it were black or even dark grey it would be a lot less noticeable. Admiral Croissant is correct, a windlass might be more appropriate, and it seems you could even build out that structure which supports the bow sprit to accommodate one. Thanks for sharing her, and good luck in school.

That gear is an ugly thing indeed, but she does not come in different colors and I think that a gear articulating with the dents of the steering is the only way to make it functional. Maybe strings bound to the steering are an alternative.

I love your bell idea :pir-wub: !

I thought of it while designing the captain's cabin.

Because I'm so busy lately, I might not be able to update until February. But by then I will have the budget to make a decent frigat of Aurora (as I wanted in my first post). I'll make her even longer! I don't know yet if I will build her like the Grand Turk (which she starts to resemble now) or a historical frigat.

Thanks for commenting!

Regards,

WilliamWalls

Edited by WilliamWalls

You improved it a lot!

Can you show a picture of your custom cannon?

greetz Bjornu

You improved it a lot!

Can you show a picture of your custom cannon?

greetz Bjornu

Here you are:

100_4259.jpg

It's actually build upside down, so it only works well on tiled decks due to the studs, unless you use another wheelbase. It will look better with a red base I think.

WilliamWalls

That's a really neat gun, i like the use of that axle mount on top. if you left the wheels off it'd make a great cannonade too.

Edited by kurigan

I am very busy lately but I did find a small window and started experimenting with my ship. I added 2 midsections (wrong collor, I know) and it's starting to look like a sixth rate warship. The gunports were build after those of "Achille" by EB-member "Perfectionist".

shiplong1.jpg

The curve is not yet right, does anyone know where I can find an accurate plan or topview of a warship to improve it?

WilliamWalls