• 4- Above Average
    • 5- Outstanding
  2. 2. What do you think of this guy?

• - He's amazing!
    • - I could live without him.

gallery_101_23_281.gif

approvedgold_v2_62.png

6134206883_2b8e603a6e_o.jpg

When I heard about this figure I thought that it would be a pretty cool one to add to my collection. When I saw him he slightly reminded me of the DARKtrooper that LEGO put into their Stormtrooper battle pack a few years ago. When I heard what you had to do to get him I was dismayed. There was no way I was going to spend $75 on Star Wars LEGO. So when I had the opportunity to get him I jumped on it!

Name: Shadow ARF Trooper Promotional Polybag

Set Number: 4649858

Pieces: 5

Price: Promotional Item

Ages: 6+

Minifigs: 1

Theme: Star Wars

Year of Release: 2011

Bricklink

Peeron

Brickset

Review Gallery On Flickr

Baggy:

6134754746_6d8d7697e4_o.jpg

Okay, the front of the bag has a nice, rather large, picture of the Shadow ARF trooper, we also see the cloudy sky Rex art on this baggy as well. I noticed, unlike the Chrome stormtrooper bag, that the front panel is only semi-transparent rather than transparent.

6134754864_dc6f15a0c6_o.jpg

The back of the baggy has the LEGO logo in the upper left hand corner, and the usual warnings and notices. Right above the bar code, in the bottom right hand corner, LEGO has put a green interlocking arrow symbol, trying to get us to recycle the bag. I'm going to be holding on to mine.

Contents:

6134206331_5d6d650868_o.jpg

Inside the bag there are the four minifigure parts and the two guns, but like the other promotional figures, no instructions. Not like you'd need instructions for just a minifigure though. We also get our first taste of all the wonderful black ARF trooper gear here.

Parts:

6134754948_d4dc702ec3_z.jpg

As this is really just a minifigure, there aren't really any new parts, none that I count anyways, but there is this one extra gun, nothing special or really interesting about it.

Minifigure:

6134206421_f9cb6b8e87_o.jpg

Okay now that I've invested so much time in putting this guy together ( :sarcasm: ), let's take a look at him. The front view shows us his torsos print. He has the normal clone print but on a black torso, and the print is in a nice white-ish color. The printing on him is top-notch as always and the helmet print looks amazing too.

6134755060_3726db6a2b_o.jpg

From the side we can really see the profile of the ARF trooper helmet. It really has some interesting curves in it. The helmet fin is rather curved here and the visor on the helmet really meshes well with the figure. LEGO has put some nice blue printing on the side of his helmet to make him fairly similar to the ARF trooper.

6134206519_756df9fd1f_o.jpg

There is back printing on him. He has, in the same white-ish color, normal clone trooper back print. Again, the curves molded on the helmet really make the helmet.

6134755182_3138de279e_z.jpg

Here's a nice close up of his helmet. I really like the silver and blue print on this guy’s helmet. The blue and silver compliment the overall black color scheme.

6134206637_b77802491e.jpg

Sadly, it would be cool to see a scared face here; the Shadow ARF trooper has the usual Clone Wars clone head. A simple scar on his head would make it much cooler. My guess as to why LEGO is using the normal head is because they want to keep the focus on the ARF trooper as a whole rather than the head.

6134755328_d74ef18bb4_z.jpg

Since this is a Shadow ARF trooper it seems fitting to compare him to his cousin, the ARF trooper. There are a few differences here, mainly the color of the parts. Notice that on the ARF troopers helmet he has some dark red "wave" printing while the Shadow ARF does not.

6134206747_d21c6335ab_o.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier, the Shadow ARF trooper is fairly similar to the DARKtrooper from the imperial battle pack a few years ago. The only really similarities is the color of the print on the helmet and the torso. They do make a pretty fearsome duo though. (Brickdoctor would argue that they wouldn't be seen together but that's a different story)

Final Thoughts:

I really think that this figure is worth the $24 I paid to get him. While overall he is just an ARF trooper but in black, he really has that "cool factor" that a LEGO figure needs. And the fact that this guy is a black ARF trooper is just such a good idea on LEGO's part. The silver, blue, and white-ish color printing on the figure keeps him cool looking while keeping it within the looks of an ARF trooper. So, in all, I'm very happy with this figure, another great design by LEGO!

Ratings:

Playability: 10/10 He's a minifigure. Minifigures, while they only have a certain amount of playability, this guy will work just fine as a display piece as well as a minifigure.

Design: 10/10 This guy is designed very well. I've said it before, the color of the print on this guy is perfect, and the helmet, is amazing!

Price: 10/10 I can't really comment on the price that he cost. I paid about $20 and I think that's pretty fair for this little guy.

Minifigure: 10/10 This set is ALL minifigure! The design of the ARF trooper, while not spot-on, is fairly close and looks good.

Parts: 10/10 The only new parts in this set are the helmet and the torso. Well that is if you count parts in new colors. I don't but they do look good!

Total: 50/50 I'm not sure that a minifigure can be graded on this scale. He's gotten a perfect score nonetheless!

6134206807_dd864a3228_o.jpg

You didn't think I'd pass up an opportunity to show off my exclusive minifigures did you? Well here are the three I own. Anyone want to guess what I'll be reviewing next? :tongue:

Want to learn to make excellent reviews like this one? Then join the Reviewers Academy!

logo-academy-v4.png

Another nice little review masked.

I give it a guess, Chrome Darth Vader? But from your wording it seems that you dont own that minifig. Im jelous as I missed out on the free ARF fig with the May the 4th promotion, instead I recieved a poster and choice of key ring as the stock had ran out. It is the only reason I made ans order but it was too late so I had to settle for a Palpatine key ring.

Very nice review indeed, Masked! Thanks. Your pictures are excellent! This is one of the few CW figs that I still need for my collection.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Despite having several reviews and speculation topics about this minifig, I don't think I've ever stated my opinion on him (just because my opinion is a huge deal... :tongue: ). I must say, this is one of the cooler Lego minifigures released. I thought the original white ARF trooper was cool, but the sharp black, silver, and white color scheme on this one really multiply that "cool" factor.

I kind of regret not blowing 75 USD on LSW sets on May 4th now (I easily could have). LSW has some great promo figures, my favorites being the three chrome figs. I would've loved to add this to my collection.

Thanks for the review, Masked. The great photos showed this little guy off pretty well.

Just like the silver chrome stormie, it's always refreshing to see TLG come up with a nice promo fig that isn't based on a current SW character (no signs yet of a Shadow ARF in TCW). I think it's really a cool fig in all its shadowy blackness that's a good addition to any SW minifig collection. Thanks for sharing this review MB!

Thanks for the review! To be frank, I didn't try to get this figure, and even after seeing this review, I don't regret it. I can see why many people like the fig. It's definitely not ugly and up to Lego standards. Howeer, on a personal level, I did never understand the big hype for it. Furthermore, I even felt disappointed to know that this was the big May the fourth promotion. I just don't feel that it is as great as the other promo figures, and I would never pay the current prices for it. But that is just me, of course. I'm glad so many do enjoy this figure.

Edited by johnnyvgoode

Howeer, on a personal level, I did never understand the big hype for it.

Because obviously, this promo fig caters to the younger CW audience. I wouldn't really expect OT fans to go gaga over this fig. But it sure is like TLG is mixing it up with the selection of figs, going CW this year. And come to think of it, ALL promo figs have been from OT - gold chrome C-3PO, silver chrome Stormie, chrome Vader, white Boba. So it wouldn't hurt to give the kids some CW love right? :wink:

Because obviously, this promo fig caters to the younger CW audience. I wouldn't really expect OT fans to go gaga over this fig. But it sure is like TLG is mixing it up with the selection of figs, going CW this year. And come to think of it, ALL promo figs have been from OT - gold chrome C-3PO, silver chrome Stormie, chrome Vader, white Boba. So it wouldn't hurt to give the kids some CW love right? :wink:

Hehehe well, to tell you the truth, I'm not that old and I'm not one of those PT haters, and even enjoy watching the Clone Wars whenever I catch it on TV. However, even though I collect minifigures as a main focus in my Lego collection, I have never gone "gaga" (:tongue:) over all the different SW clones, and actually have enough with a few, although I respect the tastes of those who do.

But yes, I guess it doesn't hurt to please the kids :classic:, but we grown up kids must never be forgotten either. :tongue:

Great review. The only fault I can see with this figure is the crazy aftermarket price!

Thanks everyone

I give it a guess, Chrome Darth Vader? But from your wording it seems that you dont own that minifig.

Nope I don't have him. I haven't decided which one to review yet actually.

Very nice review indeed, Masked! Thanks. Your pictures are excellent! This is one of the few CW figs that I still need for my collection.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Thanks for the blog Oky!

Since the Doctor is out, allow me to inform you that the second black figure in your photo is actually a shadow stormtrooper. A Dark trooper refers to any of several armored combat droids and exoskeletons resembling stormtrooper armor. :wink:

:tongue: Yeah I was looking through this and was wondering if I was wrong there. Guess I was! :laugh:

Despite having several reviews and speculation topics about this minifig, I don't think I've ever stated my opinion on him (just because my opinion is a huge deal... :tongue: ). I must say, this is one of the cooler Lego minifigures released. I thought the original white ARF trooper was cool, but the sharp black, silver, and white color scheme on this one really multiply that "cool" factor.

I kind of regret not blowing 75 USD on LSW sets on May 4th now (I easily could have). LSW has some great promo figures, my favorites being the three chrome figs. I would've loved to add this to my collection.

Thanks for the review, Masked. The great photos showed this little guy off pretty well.

Yes he is a great fig!

Just like the silver chrome stormie, it's always refreshing to see TLG come up with a nice promo fig that isn't based on a current SW character (no signs yet of a Shadow ARF in TCW). I think it's really a cool fig in all its shadowy blackness that's a good addition to any SW minifig collection. Thanks for sharing this review MB!

Yeah there would have been a comparison picture if he had been in the show.

Thanks for the review! To be frank, I didn't try to get this figure, and even after seeing this review, I don't regret it. I can see why many people like the fig. It's definitely not ugly and up to Lego standards. Howeer, on a personal level, I did never understand the big hype for it. Furthermore, I even felt disappointed to know that this was the big May the fourth promotion. I just don't feel that it is as great as the other promo figures, and I would never pay the current prices for it. But that is just me, of course. I'm glad so many do enjoy this figure.

You could look at it like that if you want too. I'm trying to get all of them so this guy is just another step!

Great review. The only fault I can see with this figure is the crazy aftermarket price!

That is so true!

Nice review! Got this figure and loved it. Looks like a clone gone rouge don't you think? When I saw the set number for this I thought you might have allen asleep on the # keys. :laugh:

Nice review Masked!

The extremely high Market price can definitely be a turn-off for many buyers, but it is worth the price. So where did you manage to pick one of these guys up? Hopefully you got it for a fair price. :grin: .

Nice review! Got this figure and loved it. Looks like a clone gone rouge don't you think? When I saw the set number for this I thought you might have allen asleep on the # keys. :laugh:

Yeah it is insanely long!

Nice review Masked!

The extremely high Market price can definitely be a turn-off for many buyers, but it is worth the price. So where did you manage to pick one of these guys up? Hopefully you got it for a fair price. :grin: .

Yeah he is rather expensive but he was sure worth it! :tongue:

Alien? Why'd I write alien? I must've been wired. :tongue: No point in changing it now.

Edited by K-nut

Wow. I thought I couldn't spell and now I can't read. What is this world coming to?! :sing: