Sign in to follow this  
Quarryman

MOC: Waldemar Walrus' Windmill

builders_guild.gif

6145271288_54df6f37fb_z.jpg

To get Proper Bread you obviously need Proper Flour, and the best flour you'll get at Waldemar's Windmill, a friendly chap as long as you don't talk about his cousin in the navy.

My entry for Round 1 of the 2011 MOColympics over at MOCpages, I decided to build something for the category "wind" and ended up with a windmill.

And not knowing what's good for myself I of course had to go for a circular wall on the ground floor (where the flour is ground) and then an octagonal structure on top of that. This has led to a MOC where just about nothing is connected to anything, so it has to be moved very carefully. :laugh:

6144720391_83e08b76b8_z.jpg

The blades are tilted to catch the wind better, and when you turn them the grindstone in the mill goes around. (Yay! Playability features! :laugh:)

6144719995_72f47409c7_z.jpg

The only proper Fabuland elements, the window shutters. (Which I was surprised to discover that fit the 1x1x2 door hinge brick)

6144719565_9622632bb8_z.jpg

And the miller himself.

6144719849_6778e19f0c_z.jpg

6144719455_35f977f04c_z.jpg

For full size pictures please check the Flickr set.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Lovely! :wub: Despite the complicated build, your mill has a charming, quaint look that would perfectly fit in a Fabuland setting! Just make sure the wind doesn't blow too hard! :grin:

Well done! :thumbup:

But, that frog... :cry_sad:

What a great build .pirate_thumbup.gif

The dark brown and light blue look great together, and the mill blades look heaps better than those used in the Kingdoms mill set.

I really like your base, but think it would have looked better without the base plate under it....but that's just me.

Top stuff.

(Which I was surprised to discover that fit the 1x1x2 door hinge brick)

You're surprised? How did I not know this is possible? I would imagine I would've tried this before. I must've either tried it on a regular 1x4x3 window with shutter tabs or tried it on the 1x1x2 modified brick with shutter tabs and couldn't think how to get that around a window or perhaps it doesn't close normally at that distance? Whatever the case, it's great to see that it works and opens up a ton of possibilities for me and other members of the Fabuland Builders Guild. Way to be a pioneer for the cause.

This is so fantastic Quarryman. I love all your little space builds and the super clever stuff you bring to Brickworld. You always surprise me with great MOCs and you build in such a fantastic range. What an awesome hut for a happy walrus! And I really believe he would've built it that way himself. It has a nice mix of modern molds, but made mostly with classic brick in a clever way. You even got the obligatory frog in there! :grin:

Is there perhaps another way to achieve the curved and sloped second floor? It seems a little too gappy. Waldemar may have trouble sleeping at night due to the draft in his bedroom.

Other than that, this is too adorable for words! You better buy some more Fabuland parts on Bricklink. Once you start with the FBG there's no looking back. And I just no there's a certain sheepdog that needs a home. :wub_drool:

(I thought I had replied, but it seems my post has disappeared into a vortex...)

I really think this is a sweet little windmill Quarry, and I particularly like the texture of the round stone wall. The colours and the style of the build fit the Fabuland theme really well, and I think it's great you've included a play feature, too.! :sweet:

It does look very fragile, but it is also rather charming.

Best of luck in the MOColympics! :sweet:

I really like the curved outer walls, before Eurobricks I didn't even know this kind of clever building was possible.

I can see this fitting right into Fabuland.

Sweeeeet :sweet:

I really like the colour scheme (which is basically The Burrow's but still :tongue: ). The top and the blades are a bit too fragile (and windy in places :grin: ) for my taste, but the stonework on the ground floor looks great. And excellent use of those window shutters. I have to get some of those now.

That's a very cute windmill :sweet:. Looks right at home in Fabuland. I agree that the second floor looks a bit drafty, but it's a windmill! I bet the miller likes a draft in his bedroom :laugh:.

Lovely build, Quarryman. I really like the good balance between Fabuland, old system style (those windmill sails remind me of an old ideas book I have somewhere) and the newer LEGO style :wub:

And I see you didn't forget the frog :devil:

Thanks for the comments everyone, especially the constructive criticism, that's always appreciated. :sweet:

I like the design 'Quarryman', looks very Dutch to me.....great stonework and Brick On ! :classic:

Yes, was aiming for the Dutch "look", so guess I got that right at least. :laugh:

Lovely! :wub: Despite the complicated build, your mill has a charming, quaint look that would perfectly fit in a Fabuland setting! Just make sure the wind doesn't blow too hard! :grin:

Well done! :thumbup:

But, that frog... :cry_sad:

Oh yes, wouldn't want the wind to blow too hard, then I fear this would all fall apart in a minute. And what's wrong with the frog? :look:

What a great build .pirate_thumbup.gif

The dark brown and light blue look great together, and the mill blades look heaps better than those used in the Kingdoms mill set.

I really like your base, but think it would have looked better without the base plate under it....but that's just me.

Top stuff.

Totally agree about the baseplate, I wanted to build a better base, but ran out of time, the deadline for Round 1 of the MOColympics were menacingly close when I decided I had to get done and take the pictures. :blush:

You're surprised? How did I not know this is possible? I would imagine I would've tried this before. I must've either tried it on a regular 1x4x3 window with shutter tabs or tried it on the 1x1x2 modified brick with shutter tabs and couldn't think how to get that around a window or perhaps it doesn't close normally at that distance? Whatever the case, it's great to see that it works and opens up a ton of possibilities for me and other members of the Fabuland Builders Guild. Way to be a pioneer for the cause.

This is so fantastic Quarryman. I love all your little space builds and the super clever stuff you bring to Brickworld. You always surprise me with great MOCs and you build in such a fantastic range. What an awesome hut for a happy walrus! And I really believe he would've built it that way himself. It has a nice mix of modern molds, but made mostly with classic brick in a clever way. You even got the obligatory frog in there! :grin:

Is there perhaps another way to achieve the curved and sloped second floor? It seems a little too gappy. Waldemar may have trouble sleeping at night due to the draft in his bedroom.

Other than that, this is too adorable for words! You better buy some more Fabuland parts on Bricklink. Once you start with the FBG there's no looking back. And I just no there's a certain sheepdog that needs a home. :wub_drool:

Well, the brick 1x1x2 with shutter tabs was what I was using, it isn't a 100% perfect fit, seems the tabs should have been a tiny bit thicker. And it does leave a gab of maybe half a stud when used with a 4-wide window, but I think that's just fine, another option would probably be SNOTed 1x2x2 windows, then I imagine the distance could be made just right.

And yes, it probably is "a bit" drafty on the second floor, didn't quite manage to find a good way to build sloping walls, the 3x12 wedge plates made the whole structure too tall, and other wedge plates didn't have a steep enough angle. So it ended up with this not-exactly-perfect solution, I still want to find a good solution for other projects though, who knows, I might come up with something better one day. And I'm always looking for Fabuland parts when surfing Bricklink, have tons of ideas for Fabuland MOCs I want to build, so this certainly won't be the last one from me. (words really can't describe how great it is to finally have room for a proper building area at home, and an understanding girlfriend who let's me use it for the LEGO. :wub:)

(I thought I had replied, but it seems my post has disappeared into a vortex...)

I really think this is a sweet little windmill Quarry, and I particularly like the texture of the round stone wall. The colours and the style of the build fit the Fabuland theme really well, and I think it's great you've included a play feature, too.! :sweet:

It does look very fragile, but it is also rather charming.

Best of luck in the MOColympics! :sweet:

Normally I'm not too fond about play features, but this time it felt natural to include one, even though it made the build even more challenging. And thanks, again. :sweet:

I really like the curved outer walls, before Eurobricks I didn't even know this kind of clever building was possible.

I can see this fitting right into Fabuland.

Can't remember where I first saw that technique for curved walls, might have been on LUGNET back in the day.

Sweeeeet :sweet:

I really like the colour scheme (which is basically The Burrow's but still :tongue: ). The top and the blades are a bit too fragile (and windy in places :grin: ) for my taste, but the stonework on the ground floor looks great. And excellent use of those window shutters. I have to get some of those now.

Hehe, yes, it's rather obvious that I sacrificed a Burrow set to build this. :blush:

That's a very cute windmill :sweet:. Looks right at home in Fabuland. I agree that the second floor looks a bit drafty, but it's a windmill! I bet the miller likes a draft in his bedroom :laugh:.

Thanks, I'm sure it would look right at home next to your crocodile hut. :wink:

Lovely build, Quarryman. I really like the good balance between Fabuland, old system style (those windmill sails remind me of an old ideas book I have somewhere) and the newer LEGO style :wub:

And I see you didn't forget the frog :devil:

Actually I got the idea for the windmill sails from this old set :blush: And how could I forget the frog? :grin: (though I did forget the "edge" :sad:)

Qute! There really should be more Fabuland around. :)

There absolutely should be more Fabuland around, go build some! :sweet:

I really like this creation. The overall style looks great. The color choices are wonderful. The scale seems perfect with the figure - a problem I constantly have building larger pieces. I also like that you didn't go overboard on the landscaping, which might have meant we'd still be waiting for photos because landscaping sometimes never ends.

If I have to pick one thing I like best about this project, I think it's the colors. They are just perfect and really give me the feeling that Waldemar Walrus is happy in his windmill.

Stability doesn't matter in photos :laugh:

I also like that you didn't go overboard on the landscaping, which might have meant we'd still be waiting for photos because landscaping sometimes never ends.

In a way that's a blessing with building for a contest, the deadline forces you to make the compromises that can sometimes delay a MOC for weeks/months/years. :laugh: