Sign in to follow this  
Solitary Dark

MOC: Diesel Shunter

I Scream Clone is very kindly crediting me with having 'made' him make his version of 'Percy', to which I'm rather flattered.

Then I realised I'd not posted here, only in my Flickr, so here she is. My son had nagged me for ages to start building more trains - I have a 12V 7740 and he has 4511. I hope these 2 are the first of a few new engines.

6119735211_1ab398d359.jpg

Diesel Shunter by The Solitary Dark, on Flickr

I'd also built a small tank engine

6116228516_51109d8038.jpg

Red Tank Engine by The Solitary Dark, on Flickr

Both of these were to get me fired up for the 7777 redux contest - whilst it's a no loco contest I wanted to have an moc engine to include in my entry.

These are fantastic.

Love that yellow and black look.

Are these powered?

The way I've built them I can detach the non-powered wheels and attach either my 12 or 9V setup quite easily, but my intention was to keep these manually powered for the time being. I'd love to get into PF at some point though.

Well, the Fat Controller will be pleased.....AWESOME work 'mookage', they both look like they come from the island of Sodor ! :classic:

Idea.....island of Sodor contest.....what do you think 'TheBrickster' ? :wink:

Is the steamy meant to look like James or Arthur? Very nice lines and a better minifig scale than my first attempt.

The steamy looks like Peter Sam (the book version which was red) to me; he's got the special funnel that helped him to steam...but I'm not sure if that's meant to be him.

Both pieces are excellent. :thumbup:

An Island of Sodor topic would be brilliant!

Edited by Trent

Is the steamy meant to look like James or Arthur? Very nice lines and a better minifig scale than my first attempt.

Arthur is my all time favourite engine - 'Bricktrix' has built an absolute perfect replica of the real LMS engine he was based on.

The steamy looks like Peter Sam (the book version which was red) to me; he's got the special funnel that helped him to steam...but I'm not sure if that's meant to be him.

Both pieces are excellent. :thumbup:

An Island of Sodor topic would be brilliant!

I'll gave to get out the books again and check out Peter Sam - But any similarity is entirely co-incidental!

Nah I think you mean Skarloey or Rheneas, Peter Sam is the green one

peter%20sam.jpg

Thomas-Friends-35-Rheneas-Thomas-Friends-Story-Library.jpg

All the narrow gauge engines are nice. They inspire me to make compact little engines some day.

No, I meant Peter Sam - I'm old! You can see him below in his red colours with the special funnel.

830px-GallantOldEngine-SpecialFunnel.jpg

However, you're quite right, Peter Sam in the television show was painted green (I imagine to make it easier for children to distinguish between the trains) and the new series of books, which you've linked below, have followed that format... but in the original books, he was red. :classic:

Although, funnel aside, the build actually looks far more like Rheneas - I'd forgotten that Peter Sam had the large curved body.

Edited by Trent

No, I meant Peter Sam - I'm old! You can see him below in his red colours with the special funnel.

Wow, I had no idea. We have some of the old books too, but they don't have any mountain engines in them.

It may look like Rheneas, but remember, that train had only two pairs of wheels, this steam engine has three. It does bare a resemblance to Skarloey, as he received another pair of wheels when he got his cab, if I remember correctly, but the train feels too long for Skarloey. Who is this "Arthur" though, I am unfamiliar with his work. The most recent train I remember was Lady, from the movie.

In other news, great models of trains. Is that a window I spy on the diesel? Both of them flow nicely, the gold looks a little odd on the steam engine though. The line texture on the diesel looks great.

Edited by Tanma