16 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

Join Spongebob and all his best friends for a day of fun at Glove World Amusement Park. There are giant chocolate ice-cream cones, a turnstile, and a spinning ride. What could be better?

Set#: 3816

Name: Glove World

Theme: Spongebob Squarepants

Year: 2011

Parts: 169

Minifigs: 4

Price: $19.99

Browsing the LEGO shelves at my local toy store, I happened across this set. At first I skipped over it because, honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Spongebob. As far as licensed sets go, this theme is fairly decently priced though still more than I'm usually willing to pay. This set, however, caught my eye with two features. The first being Chocolate Ice-cream! A new flavor for all my townspeople to enjoy (and other MOC uses I won't go into here). The second feature with this set is that it comes with four (4!) minifigures with such a low price-tag. In the past, I have only seen these figures in the more expensive sets from the theme, so this was a welcome surprise.

Packaging

The box is a decent size and not flimsy. It looks like this is the new narrow style boxes TLG has started using, which I first started seeing in the Ninjago line and after that in Star Wars. It's nice that they are not "wasting" as much space and have figured out how to do that without sacrificing the area needed for the artwork.

Box Front

6138497598_67fc8e2357_z.jpg

Typical licensed theme box front with the license logo taking up a good portion of the design. The actual set itself is covering most of the box though, and this time we get a good look at each minifigure with the stand-up photo on the bottom right.

I really think that the photo in the bottom right of the box front is overkill. Looking at the photo of the completely built set we can see what figures are included, why are they then placed again on the same facing? I just don't get it, I hope some kids don't think they're getting two of each figure.

Box Back

6138497922_ae75e91150_z.jpg

I really like the back of this box better than the front. The photo of the completed set is more impressive without all the logoing to get in the way. The action of the characters is a bit more dynamic in the scene on the back too, though I think I'd rather have at least one character still in the ride.

One of the most important things that is illustrated on the back of the box is the interactive feature of the set. The fact that the user can spin a wheel and make the ride come alive is plainly clear from the illustrations. I think this will definitely help a child choosing between this set and the car-boat set if they can't get both.

6138497750_7a92229cfa_z.jpg

Unlike some sets this size, the top of the box does not have any indication of inventory. I don't think an on-the-box inventory is at all common for a licensed set, but I know that I always appreciate when it is there. The typical "actual size" minifigure photo is on the top of the box.

Bottom

6137951291_8cdd93d526_z.jpg

The bottom has your basic copyrights, LEGO logo, and barcode.

Left Side

IMG_4469-29.jpg

Not much at all here, LEGO Club logo and the LEGO logo itself.

Right Side

6138497664_fddbd24041_z.jpg

Here we have warnings in a couple of languages.

Not sure if I'm the only one that feels this way, but it's really creepy that there are random Spongebob body parts on the edges of the box.

Parts

Stickers

6138495812_a6cf487fdb_z.jpg

The stickers are small and few but nicely printed. They were tossed in the box with everything else and got a bit bent, but no major creases or damage. I don't see them being very useful outside of this set, with the exception of the ice-cream sign. These are unique stickers to this set (at the time of writing), and would probably be useful to someone creating a larger Glove World moc.

Glove_World.png

Photo from spongebob.wikia.com

Polybags

6137952537_25e6daf94b_b.jpg

The set came with two bags. Bag one is the ice-cream/turnstile building and bag two is the ride. The minifigures are split between the two bags.

Packaged Heads

6138495746_534b627c8e_z.jpg

Two of the heads are prepackaged together. I'll talk more about the figures in their section though. The plastic on this bag is a bit thicker and not quite as clear as the other bags, which leads to a cloudy look in the photo. The thicker plastic also made it more difficult to open, but it's that standard packaging for the set parts that are made in another factory (such as cows, goats, chickens, and other modified heads and headgear).

Bag 1 Parts

6137952177_ff4d9aec47_b.jpg

Not too many parts for the first step. It's always nice to get some new larger plates, even though these two tan ones aren't huge they are a size I don't have many of in tan. The two clear goblets are nice too, but most importantly is the brown ice-cream scoops.

Bag 2 Parts

6138498750_fd892bf5ee_b.jpg

Here's where most of the parts are. Lots of brown which I really like, and some dark brown in there including a tile. A few 4x4 plates and some long 2x plates too.

Interesting Parts

6138498564_d61358af2c_b.jpg

It should be obvious from this photo why I bought the set. Ice cream and minifig parts. The rest of the parts in the set are nice but nothing that I'd consider special enough to warrant picking up a set. The squirrel head I think might be useful for a MOC if it doesn't end up being too stylized and recognizable, which is a good possibility. Like I said before, this is my first Spongebob set so it's exciting for me to have light-flesh printed legs so my fleshies can finally go to the beach in shorts. The Patrick torso looks SO much like a baby that I feel that it will come in very useful at some point. The striped torso is a great soda-jerk or ice-cream-man design with a nice bright red bow-tie. I really like the space torso with the nut logo, I have had it on my wishlist for a while, though I have no use planned for it specifically, I just think it is very cute. And finally, that great clear sphere that fits right over a minifig head. I've been wanting one of these for a while and I think it's just great.

Instructions

Even though there are two parts to the build, there is only one instruction book. I was disappointed with the condition of the booklet as I pulled it from the box. As with the sticker sheet, it was tossed in haphazardly and didn't fare well. It took quite a lot of work to get the booklet to lay down flat enough to even get these photos.

Booklet Front

6138498014_68a16311ab_z.jpg

Your typical small set book with nearly the same design on the front that was found on the front of the box.

Booklet Back

6137951539_7258f93d00_z.jpg

Very common back, I am really getting awfully tired of this design/advertisement but I'm sure TLG has a reason to keep putting it on sets with this general target audience.

Random Page

6137951599_e7186ef66d_z.jpg

The colors and lines are nicely printed. I had no trouble telling which part/color needed to be used in which step. Each step is really small and does not have the parts-used call-out like so many larger sets do. It wasn't a big issue here since there were not that many parts to worry about.

The Build

As you might expect from such a small build, it was quick and easy. There are a few Technic parts used in both builds, but even these are very straight-forward and what I'd call "dummy proof".

The Minifigures

Definitely the highlight of this set, the minifigures are wonderful. I don't really need the Spongebob figure, but I do like his brown short legs. The fish head will probably go straight to BrickLink, and probably so will Patrick's head. All the other figure parts are very useful to me.

Front

6138498288_6cc2a4989d_b.jpg

Here's where we see the good stuff. I really love the prints on all three printed torsos. New designs are always good for my growing collection. Patrick's legs are also great, though I do realize they are available in more than just this set. Sandy has a new torso here which is a slightly different print than the one in set 3831, and her legs have gone from light-gray to white, though both of the Sandy figures have light-gray hips. One disappointing thing about the Sandy figure is that the helmet does not have the pink flower print as seen at ToyFair 2011. The Spongebob is a print unique to this set as well, though it is similar to a print found in three other sets.

Back

6138498406_fd8b8bf07e_b.jpg

Sadly, none of the minifigure parts are printed on the back. The fish head does have fin, which is painted, though I'm not sure I have a use for this part.

Side

6137952001_9cc1983363_b.jpg

From the side view we can see just how far Sandy's bubble headpiece juts out over the flat minifig body, and we can see the molded fin on the fish head. Also of note we can see the slight curve to Patrick's head.

Bag 1 - Tickets & Ice-cream

This part of the build was very quick. I'd say if I hadn't stopped to take photos, it would have been under five minutes.

Partially Complete

6138498848_a6fb40da57_z.jpg

This is easily the strongest part of this model, structurally speaking. The base is solid and the turnstile spins (that is the red Technic piece on the right).

Complete - Front

6137949385_b0012f463e_z.jpg

Not a bad-looking design in the end. I don't really care for the red on the edges of the pillars though, but this may be accurate to the actual cartoon itself. Even though I don't watch the show (but have in the past), I do appreciate accuracy to the license. While attaching the red sign to the header, the model broke appart on me at the point where the red round bricks are. It was a bit frustrating but in the end it looks nice.

Complete - Top

6138499108_56c1c5d058_z.jpg

As you can see this is a long and narrow build. The building itself is only 2 studs deep which does cause some issues (as mentioned above).

Complete - Back

6137949467_96d401eabe_z.jpg

Very similar to the front, the back does have a place to attach the ice-cream vendor to the base. Other than that, not much to say about the back.

Extra Parts

6138497180_44eacb3954_z.jpg

There were only two extra parts for part one. I can always find a use for a clear dot, but the yellow bushing is not as useful to me.

Bag 2 - The Ride

I really like the design and construction of this model. It goes together easily but has a solid feel to it when finished. The interactive spinning of the ride and the way the buckets are setup to self-center works great. If I ever create a carnival MOC, this ride will be included in the build for sure.

Partially Complete - Front

6137949581_933f3b18bd_z.jpg

The base and tower is complete. The sort of bell-curve shape of the design is what give this model it's stability and yet keeps it from looking too bulky. The only part I don't care for here is the red Technic brick. There is not enough red showing to tie it in with the red on the other model and the red peak on this model, yet there still some red showing that makes it feel out of place and distracting. I would have preferred a medium-blue Technic brick here.

Partially Complete - Back

6137949645_9cc687c920_z.jpg

From the back view we can see that the spinning handle has been added in white. This part is available in tan, white, and red - why they didn't use red here is a bit confusing. I do like the use of this round brick as a spinner handle, better than some of the other designs I have seen.

Partially Complete - Side 3/4 View

6137949719_9046a82a28_z.jpg

From this angle it is easy to see how the spinner will work. A simple design that works flawlessly and needs no gears. Come to think of it, I bet this would be very easy to motorize.

Partially Complete - One Complete Basket

6137952445_3993d73225_z.jpg

I like the design of the baskets. They are well put together and sturdy. They also look nice, even when empty. If I could change one thing, I'd like the front tiles to be printed instead of stickers.

Complete - Front

6138496502_d74ab0854b_z.jpg

Picture perfect (except for my one crooked sticker), this is a really nice model. There is just enough friction in the spinning part that it can really balance the baskets at any angle, but I like this one. Just seeing it sitting there makes me want to give it a good spin.

Complete - Side

6138496580_b0451125db_z.jpg

As you can see from this view, everything is well-balanced and safe. I've had no issues with parts falling off with use or with the model tipping over.

Complete - Back

6137950133_07b0df1c59_z.jpg

Other than the protruding buckets, the back view is identical to the partially completed back view from before.

Complete - Front 3/4 View

6138496758_05ffc183fd_z.jpg

Just another angle to better see parts and build quality.

Extra Parts

6137950657_0f32aa2b75_z.jpg

Three extra parts this time! All three of these are useful to me and I'm happy to have them.

The Full Build - Complete

6137950369_64d67917b2_z.jpg

Practically like the front of the box, this little scene is cute. I am not sure it's safe for Spongebob to stand on the ride, but he does whatever he want's to in Bikini Bottom. I think the ice-cream vendor is trying to tempt Patrick to come buy another 3-scoops.

Conclusion

This set is a lot nicer then I initially expected it would be. For the price (around $20) you get quite a few minifigures and they are all from a licensed theme. The main model design itself is done really well, and the whole thing looks good. I don't feel that this set was thrown together to "get a new Spongebob set out", I do believe some real thought went into creating it.

Design: 8/10 My only complain on the design is the flimsiness of the ice-cream stand/turnstile building. Though doing much more here would have probably bumped the price up to $24.99.

Build: 7/10 If you are looking for a challenging build, look elsewhere. However, if you want something quick and solid that has interactive features, buy this set.

Parts: 9/10 There are a lot of useful parts and colors here. Not even counting the minifigures, we have medium-blues, browns, and dark browns.

Playability: 8/10 The interactive spinning feature of the ride is the big deal here. Without this feature I think it would deserve a much lower rating. I did have to take off points because of the tendency of the other building to break apart when handled.

Minifigures: 9/10 These four figures are all full of personality. Even though I bought the set as a parts-pack (including minifigure parts), I think any Spongebob fan would be thrilled to get four great figures in a little set like this. The prints are all very nice and I have no complaints here.

Price: 9/10 The $19.99 price tag on this set is very reasonable. I don't think I would have considered it at a higher price, and being a licensed set with four figures, I'm not sure it would be feasible at a lower price. TLG has really hit a good mark with this one.

Overall: 9/10 A good set at a good price. Lots of great parts and figures. Overall a sturdy build where it matters and I could see a child really enjoying this set.

Bonus Photo: Patrick's Had TOO Much

6138865730_6c3b50e097_z.jpg

Though it looks like the vendor is still selling him more ice-cream!

Edited by darkdragon

Hooray, this review is public so now I can comment on the set!

This set fails to impress me in the same way that nearly every other set of the Spongebob line fails to impress me. It just seems like the shell of something to me; in this case, the shell of an amusement park. It gets the feel of the show down, and the minifigures are cute and tempting as always, but the set itself just feels like a facade. Spongebob's house, the boating school, and the Krusty Krab all looked the same way to me. The original Krusty Krab is the only SB set I have, and while it looks semi-nice, it just felt too empty. When it comes to SB vehicles, I always find them to rely too heavily on big pieces or just look badly designed, like the bus.

There are good points, of course, like the parts. The parts themselves in SB sets are nearly always good.

Still, I can't help feeling that this set is pretty lame. At least it's reasonably priced.

Fantastic review of a cool little set. For $20, this is a great set, but not for $30 in Canada.

Thanks 'darkdragon' for this review, nice set to give any seven year old boy or girl, cute and playful creation from Lego.....but not much here for an AFOL....unless you have a seven year old child. :wink:

It is nicely detailed and the working ride - well it works like a real one....an AFOL should PF it ! :wink:

Brick On Party On at Glove World ! :laugh:

Great review darkdragon, thanks for sharing! :thumbup: I think this is a pretty decent set if you look at it in a non-AFOL way. The target audience is obviously the kids, and I'm pretty sure this would appeal to them quite nicely having 3 main character minifigs and a bunch of building parts, all in a $20 price tag which ain't bad overall. Though a minor nitpick is Sandy still hasn't got her flower print on her helmet, considering the recent trend of highly-detailed printing on minifigs.

I was never interested in this set, but I do like that Sandy minifig. Great review. :thumbup:

Great review of this set i will probrably be getting this for my son before the end of the year as he is Spongebob crazy. :thumbup:

Hooray, this review is public so now I can comment on the set!

This set fails to impress me in the same way that nearly every other set of the Spongebob line fails to impress me. It just seems like the shell of something to me; in this case, the shell of an amusement park. It gets the feel of the show down, and the minifigures are cute and tempting as always, but the set itself just feels like a facade. Spongebob's house, the boating school, and the Krusty Krab all looked the same way to me. The original Krusty Krab is the only SB set I have, and while it looks semi-nice, it just felt too empty. When it comes to SB vehicles, I always find them to rely too heavily on big pieces or just look badly designed, like the bus.

There are good points, of course, like the parts. The parts themselves in SB sets are nearly always good.

Still, I can't help feeling that this set is pretty lame. At least it's reasonably priced.

The sets do seem a little lacklustre, but the figures are great and so are the parts. And it wouldn't be too hard to fill them up with furniture.

P.S.Nice sigfig.

:P. Nice review. I think I agree with Clone O Patra. The Bikini bottom express was actually the only spongebob set that REALLY impressed me. The others were okay, but IMO the minifigs are the real reason to buy the SB sets.

I have to respectfully disagree about the minifigs being the main reason to buy Spongebob sets. My family managed to get all three 2006 Spongebob sets when they first came out, and we bought them primarily for the scenes. After all, what are Spongebob minifigures good for except for adding life Spongebob locations? They don't fit in with other minifigures at all in most applications. If we were interested in them for the minifigures, we'd surely have bought subsequent sets with new minifigures (like Sandy) or better minifigures (like the Squidward with the more accurate molded head piece).

The Glove World set, being based on a rather obscure location, opens up a lot of possibilities for future Spongebob sets. Allegedly, we're expected to get the Flying Dutchman next year in a set, hopefully including his ship (a lot of glow-in-the-dark pieces would be icing on the cake!). And there are other frequently-recurring locations in the cartoon, like Goo Lagoon, without even having to dig into locations as obscure as Glove World. So I'm very curious about future sets in this license.

Unfortunately, Spongebob sets since the first wave haven't excited me nearly as much. Perhaps this is just because I haven't had nearly as much fun watching the actual TV show as I did back then. Some classic episodes (Shanghaied!) were excellent, and if I saw one on I'd probably sit and watch it, but I no longer put forth an effort to go watch TV specifically to catch that show (though I guess in my case that applies for most TV these days).

I have to give this set a Poor rating. The minifigures are decent, but I have to say the rest of it seems like very little play value. I imagine it would get boring after about 15 minutes of playing with it.