Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

[MOC] Mission 10.1 - Geonosis: a Sandbox from Hell

gallery_101_23_281.gif

So I got an invitation to join the 457th Corps on flickr, which, if you didn't know, is a sort of an RPG based around Clone Wars 16x16 vignettes built as dictated by the group admin. Now normally, as you might well know, I don't build CW stuff. But I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. It'll make me build more than I did before, and I can always toss in some OT references in if I get bored. :innocent: With that in mind, I made a clone trooper squad that goes completely against what most CW fans think clones should be. I made them by-the-books men who are happy to be cannon fodder, as clones were intended to be, I gave them standard weaponry, and I did no customization apart from the colored arms, but appropriate to Clones ranks, not legion. But you'll see the squad another time. For now, the first mission I had to do was in miniature, which was good for me, because that's something I'm familiar with.

Time to show CW fans what an OT builder can do, even building in an era he dislikes... :devil_laugh:

6127330563_283600d658_b.jpg

Upon reversion from hyperspace in the Geonosis system, we found Geonosian space crawling with CIS units. The Arbiter, unfortunately, was ill-equipped to engage in a space battle. Thus, a portion of the ground troops were ordered to pilot the Star Destroyer's standard complement of ARC-170s. The Vulture droids picked us up as soon as we left the hangar. Some of us never had a chance. But we're clones. We're bred for war. And if Command thinks piloting fighter-bombers is the best way for us to win that war, who are we to argue?

6127330851_f39542033c_b.jpg

I'm not sure if the hangar turned out that nicely, the way it's at the same level as the black bricks representing space. From angles like this one, though, were you wouldn't be able to see the Venator's hull, it looks great. In case it isn't clear, the yellow and silver stacks are containers of something hazardous (fuel?), the white and black stacks are clones, and the domed stacks are astromechs.

6127879412_5602b87cbe_b.jpg

I knew other builders would be doing ARC-170s flying over the hulls of Venators, so I went for something different and included the hangar. I also went with a slightly larger scale than the traditional 1:200 MINI scale, because at this scale, everything in the ARC-170 just clicked.

6127879756_9978058af4_b.jpg

I love the way the ARC-170 turned out. I'd forgotten what fun it is to build MINIs.

6127331827_bf707df1e2_b.jpg

The back end of the ARC-170 is easily my favorite part of the MOC. Everything fit together perfectly in my opinion. I went with the black teeth for cockpits instead of the transparent ones, so I wouldn't have to worry about having to pit white under each one to make it look good. Much more freedom this way. The purple cones for engine glow are probably much too big, but they looked better this way, so I left them on anyways.

6127880280_e4323e138a_b.jpg

I'm not totally happy with the Vulture. This is just one of those scales where it's not easy to capture the feel of the craft, but I was stuck in that scale because I'd already built the ARC, though I did scale it up a bit so I could get those dark blue slopes into there.

Finished September 2011; C&C welcome. Thanks for looking! :classic:

Very nice work, Doc! Love the scale and the parts/techniques you used for the Arc 170, especially the back and the cannons on the wings. I like the Vulture droid, although I think it's a bit too big and out-of-scale if I remember the 2 ships in comparison in ROTS. I also like that you included the hangar and can't wait to see your "plain" clone troops! :laugh:

Nice! I love that ARC. The idea with the red stud on the front of the ARC is ingenious. Perfect. :thumbup:

That is actually a stud on the dark red 1x4 plate poking through the hole of the neck bracket, which would be more accurate were it colored sand green, but I don't have a dark red plate with sand green studs. :tongue:

Awesome vig 'Doc! The ARC is just perfect, nevermind the exhaust being too big. The CW is all about too-big weaponry anyway. I really like the posing of the ships and interior as well.

The one part I'm not so fond of is the Vulture Droid. When I looked at the first picture, I thought you might be going for a Hyena Bomber. Perhaps if you could somehow work out adding a second cockpit-ish thing on it, a Hyena would work, and look better for the size.

I agree with you that the floor of the hangar being flush with space is a little funny, but it isn't really a problem. It looks fine.

Of course, this had to go on the blog!

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Good work as always Doc! I really like that ARC-170 that you've got there. :wub: The simple hangar really contrasts well with the ships.

Fantastic vig 'BrickDoctor' and that ARC-170 is just AWESOME.....though I'm a little in shock - a Clone Wars MOC ? :laugh:

Great work and may the Eurobrick be with you always ! :grin:

though I'm a little in shock - a Clone Wars MOC ? :laugh:

Don't worry. I thoroughly sterilized it before handling. :wink:

I'm not the biggest fan of microscale building, but that ARC is absolutely amazing :wub: . The tail gun is absolute genius, and I love how you managed to maintain it's unique shape at such a small scale. Great work!

Great work on your CW MOC Doc. I hope you also wore gloves, as the CW has nasty bite :laugh: . If bittin it will aso make cause damage to your wallet :wink: .

Edited by wokajablocka

If bittin it will aso make cause damage to your wallet :wink: .

I think that goes for LEGO in general. :laugh:

As far as the expenses of OT vs. CW are concerned, UCS begs to disagree with you. :wink:

Fantastic mini-build Doc! :thumbup: I'm an instant fan of that mini-ARC 170, lots of neat techniques and parts usage. And you sure are taking my request to spread some CW love to heart (even it it took some 'pre-handling sterilization' :laugh:).

The thought of you spraying and scribing this MOC is quit funny :grin:. I love the ARC MOC its great, and the micro figs in the hanger are also great. The only downside to it is the wings on the Vulture, because they are squared I thought it was a Hyena at first.

Very nice vignette Brickdoctor. ARC-170 starfighter is brilliant. I'm planning to build one, too, but in 1:120

scale.

Once again, that vignette is awesome, just awesome!

Hello!

That's a great story element you have set into bricks! :classic: The ships are fantastic as is the way you are displaying them. The "stage scenery" makes this a perfect layout.

Cheers,

~ Christopher

WOW! That ARC fighter is incredible. That design on it looks perfect, accurate, and just all around amazing! Don't be surprised if TLG gives you a call asking to use that design for a new mini :laugh: .

Great work!!

Very nice vignette Brickdoctor. ARC-170 starfighter is brilliant. I'm planning to build one, too, but in 1:120

scale.

I didn't do any calculations, but judging by the size of your 1:120 X-wing, I think my ARC might be around that size, too. I know it's bigger than 1:200.

When I saw the title , I just thought " Doc building CW stuff ? Well that's something I'm gonna like " . Then I saw the moc , and I just thought " This must be the best microcsale mod I've ever seen " ....

Congratulations BD , this is definitely in my top 3 favorite lego creations ever .

This is just lovely! The ARC-170 is just perfect. The dual cannons at the back, the windscreens.. awesome. By the way; have you thought about using a 1x2 dark green tile instead of the white one?

By the way; have you thought about using a 1x2 dark green tile instead of the white one?

I did, but it didn't look right seeing the green on the sides with no white above the dark red.

Love the ARC. The slightly-larger-than-mini-scale works perfectly, like you said. My favorite part is also the back, and I thought that the purple cones were very striking and added a lot to the character of the ship.

Really nice vig, Doc. I hope you continue to post the vigs from this series here. :sweet: