DLuders

Paul Boratko's 2012 All Wheel Drive Transmission Concept

awd989.JPG.w560h420.jpg

For those who have not been following the Crowkillers website, Paul Boratko recently presented a his "new transmission concept for my next car. The transmission shifts in the same pattern as the real 5 speed models of the Ford Mustang and Subaru WRX with the Reverse Gear on the Right Side below the 5th Gear. However the Reverse Ratio is similar to First Gear which is how it should be...

The first part of the video has the Power functions motor hooked up to the Output of the transmission so you can see the engine speed changing(which would normally be constant) and the second part shows the Power Functions motor hooked up to the Input so that you can see the speed of the rear wheels changing, which is the proper way that the transmission would be displayed, but not as easily visible when changing Gears...

Ratios are as Follows:

1st Gear 2.08 : 1

2nd Gear 1.60 : 1

3rd Gear 1.25 : 1

4th Gear 1 : 1

5th Gear .75 : 1

Reverse 2.25 : 1"

His

shows it in action. 14 big pictures are on his Brickshelf gallery.

awd995.JPG.w560h777.jpg

I really have to try to build this one.

I have tried building this one, and it indeed works pretty nicely.

Although his Brickshelf version does not have all wheel drive, I noticed it was possible to add it by moving things by a half stud, so that was what I did. I was sceptical about the 8t gears but they're not as bad as I expected.

There are actually 2 different gearboxes being shown here. The pictures posted are from an all wheel drive design, but the video is not. If you look in this link HERE you can see that it is indeed a new all wheel drive one using a 3rd differential box and not the same one that was at TechnicBricks a few weeks ago. Looks like he is incorporating some type of switch for the front wheels? I too have built the first version just to test it out and it does in fact work phenomenally well. This is a very clever design with more realistic ratios than the standard 5+R that the 8448 had and also seems to be smoother in reverse gear.

Wow. This is a really great design. I have seen people move the reverse to that side, but the gearing was similar to 5th gear. Now we just need to see a video of the all wheel drive transmission in action to see if it lives up to it's predecessor. :classic:

Paul Boratko uploaded another

showing his "new studless chassis using my new 5 Speed + Reverse Transmission Concept that can be switched from Rear Wheel Drive to All Wheel Drive. Detailed pictures can be found at http://www.crowkillers.com ."

Edited by DLuders

I was just getting ready to update this thread with the new video, you beat me to it. :hmpf_bad: Wow is that ever well done. So many cool new ideas. Can't wait to see what kind of exterior he comes up with! Very well done Paul! :thumbup: :thumbup:

will there be instructions for this or something more simple then these pics? I've been trying to build it but i'm stuck :( (my brain goes in error)

Wow. This is a really great design. I have seen people move the reverse to that side, but the gearing was similar to 5th gear. Now we just need to see a video of the all wheel drive transmission in action to see if it lives up to it's predecessor. :classic:

Well, I guess the proof is in the new video. :classic: Naked car chassis are just so darn cool.

will there be instructions for this or something more simple then these pics? I've been trying to build it but i'm stuck :( (my brain goes in error)

I've figured it out :D instead of thinking about the gear ratio's and messing with gears / bricks..... I literally copyd the pics into bricks lol

I think to complicated sometimes -_- but I have to say: this gearbox is massive!(=>good) bigger then the one of the concept car but better functionality and more easy / simple to build without the need of "special" parts

huge props to Paul Boratko!

time to toss this bunch of gears in my 8070 :P

edit: I can post some pics of a "naked version" (for the people who have trouble building it) of this transmission, I don't know if permission is needed from the original designer :/

so please let me know if it is okay (dluders or paul?)

Edited by 3nslav3

I don't think Paul will care. He already has pretty detailed pictures up at his site of the transmission. The only downfall I see with this transmission(if you want to consider it a downfall) is that it really can't be built into a compact module because the gearing is wide and built into the frame, but the advantages far out weigh the lack of it being a tight module.

here you can see the gearing built into the frame

awd55.JPG.w560h328.jpg

But then here you can see that there is no extra space being taken up and the width between the seats is the same as the 8070.

awd52.JPG.w560h333.jpg

I don't think Paul will care. He already has pretty detailed pictures up at his site of the transmission. The only downfall I see with this transmission(if you want to consider it a downfall) is that it really can't be built into a compact module because the gearing is wide and built into the frame, but the advantages far out weigh the lack of it being a tight module.

here you can see the gearing built into the frame

awd55.JPG.w560h328.jpg

But then here you can see that there is no extra space being taken up and the width between the seats is the same as the 8070.

awd52.JPG.w560h333.jpg

I agree with the bottom width of the gearbox but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's the only way on getting the reverse gear in the correct place

I've managed to fit this gearbox in my 8070! I had to make it shorter and RWD (I was amazed how short I managed to make it, 9 studs with beams included) and even managed to use beams on top that are only half a stud in width.

when combined with part 4539880 you get a very stiff and strong chassis (pix will follow soon this weekend in my 8070 thread) I'm still working on it ;)

I agree with the bottom width of the gearbox but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's the only way on getting the reverse gear in the correct place

I've managed to fit this gearbox in my 8070! I had to make it shorter and RWD (I was amazed how short I managed to make it, 9 studs with beams included) and even managed to use beams on top that are only half a stud in width.

when combined with part 4539880 you get a very stiff and strong chassis (pix will follow soon this weekend in my 8070 thread) I'm still working on it ;)

Can't wait to see pictures of your ungraded MOC! After I see what you do, I might actually try and incorporate this awesome gearbox into my own 8070 set. It is currently just stock, but this new gearbox idea looks like a real winner. I also like how everything is straight forward and even and nothing is off by 1/2 of a stud. Should be easy to line up with the rear drive axle.

Can't wait to see pictures of your ungraded MOC! After I see what you do, I might actually try and incorporate this awesome gearbox into my own 8070 set. It is currently just stock, but this new gearbox idea looks like a real winner. I also like how everything is straight forward and even and nothing is off by 1/2 of a stud. Should be easy to line up with the rear drive axle.

alright, I uploaded a few pics of the WIP:

2m2xezr.jpg

9vgrvb.jpg

it has less blue parts sticking out now tho ;)

919ull.jpg

333hhc1.jpg

as you can see... there is still a lot of work to do :laugh: but so far... I'm very happy :thumbup:

edit: the medium PF motor is for a small compressor under the driver seat, the motor will be powered by a small batt pack hidden in the back of the car

Edited by 3nslav3

3nslav3, one of the keys to getting this transmission to work effectively is to have all of the axles that hold the 24 tooth and 8 tooth gears stabilized using 2 liftarms in front and on the back of the gears, this will prevent the middle 8 tooth gear from wiggling around and causing a potential bind.... Like Erik Leppen said, 8 tooth gears can be tricky to work with, but when supported and braced right, they work well... I am still waiting for Lego to make an 8 tooth gear that doesn't slide partially into the hole of a technic piece...

But if what you came up with works for you, then that is all that matters... :thumbup:

Nice Video of the Gearbox in action, love the switch too. If I were you, I would try and touch base with someone at Lego about this Gearbox design because it really is well done.

3nslav3, one of the keys to getting this transmission to work effectively is to have all of the axles that hold the 24 tooth and 8 tooth gears stabilized using 2 liftarms in front and on the back of the gears, this will prevent the middle 8 tooth gear from wiggling around and causing a potential bind.... Like Erik Leppen said, 8 tooth gears can be tricky to work with, but when supported and braced right, they work well... I am still waiting for Lego to make an 8 tooth gear that doesn't slide partially into the hole of a technic piece...

But if what you came up with works for you, then that is all that matters... :thumbup:

You are right :thumbup: I didn't know that 8 tooth gears could give that much extra friction, I was blaming the chassis at first and because I was still working on it, I didn't mind,

I've added a liftarm to stabilize the gears and it works super smooth :wink: thanks a lot for the tip! This is something that I will never forget :tongue:

Woah, I like that! The red looks great!

Is that a black differential I see? I never knew there was such a thing. :thumbup:

Edited by dhc6twinotter