Legostein

Kyle Katarn's starships: The Moldy Crow & Raven's Claw

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello everybody!

Kyle Katarn is one of the more popular characters from the Expanded Universe, and so are his personal starships. :classic: I haven't come up with an appropriate Kyle Katarn minifigure yet, but I'd like to present his two personal starships to you today. :classic:

--------------------

Kyle Katarns first starship was the Moldy Crow, a modified Corellian HWK-290 transport. It first appeared in the computer game Dark Forces and several others after that. It's an unusual design with many angles, and a cockpit that is more in the interior than at the front. This all amde this a tricky little thing to design. It's mostly studs down and studs to the front to attach the 1x1 slopes. :classic:

moldy-crow-1.jpg

moldy-crow-3.jpg

moldy-crow-4.jpg

--------------------

After the Moldy Crow was destroyed by crahs landing, it was replaced by the Raven's Claw, a fast and sleek looking courier ship. It first appeared in the computer game Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. The Raven's Claw has a similar cockpit design than the Moldy Crow, and two large engines. The tricky thing was to attach two pair of small wings to the outer side of each of the huge engines. :classic:

ravens-claw-1.jpg

ravens-claw-3.jpg

ravens-claw-4.jpg

--------------------

So that's all for today. It's been about starfighter-scaled starships today, but more complex capital ship constructions might be in reach which does not mean that those little transports are more easy to do. :classic:

Have some nice days until week-end, and see you soon!

~ Christopher

For being popular I've never heard of him. :tongue: Anyways, both ships are lovely and the shapes really are interesting. I quite like the look of the brown one. :thumbup:

I know a very small amount about the EU, so this guy is new to me, but judging from your minis his shops look pretty slick.

Man, I LOVE your minis ! Both of these are beautifully designed and look superb. Keep 'em coming !

I remember Kyle Katarn from the old PC game Dark Forces years and years back; glad to know he's still around !

Dr. D.

Edited by drdavewatford

Even more excellent designing - goodness 'Legostein' you are the man when it goes to these micro-creations and may the Eurobrick be with you again ! :wink:

You never really cease to amaze us with your fantastic mini-creations Chris! Even if I'm not that familiar with both of these EU ships I do not even need to see the reference material to tell how well-designed these minis are with your signature clever techniques. Great job as usual and always looking forward for your next creations. :thumbup:

I had to look the source material for these ships but comparing them to the images they are perfect. All your models are perfect, I'm running out of things to say about your MOC's :wub:.

Being one of the few to actually remember Kyle Katarn makes me feel a little old. The Jedi Knight games were awesome so I'm surprised not more people have played them.

Anyway, great job on both these ships. Especially the Raven's Claw. That's the one I'm most familiar with and it looks instantly recognizable. But they're both very accurate for such a small size. I still say if Lego made a minifig scale Raven's Claw, I'd snap it up no matter the cost. (Or an Ebon Hawk, but that's another story.)

Wow - are we still in 2011? you guys sure? Legostein, your ships just accelerated me to 88 miles per hour and got me back to my teens! Awesome ships! That Moldy Crow seems like it just came straight out of Dark Forces!

Which I will always love! :thumbup:

Awesome MOCs!

Hello again,

and thank you for the many nice comments! I am happy some of you remember Kyle Katarn and his ship, and I am also happy that even those of you who are not familiar with this part of the Expanded Universe appreciate the models. Thank you! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher