The Penguin

Batman General Discussion Thread

I just had to share this!

-Sci

Thanks...that tune is going to be stuck in my head all night now :laugh:

Ben affleck has been confirmed as the new batman for the superman /batman movie in July 17 2015.

WOAH, link!?

Nevermind, found it. Interesting choice, for sure...

Edited by just2good

Ben Affleck is Batman you deserve, but not the one you need.

Well, there goes any possibility of a JL franchise...

How does this reduce that chance? Surely it's more likely now.

I think Ben Affleck is a great choice of course he wasn`t my number one pick that being michael fassbender. Ben is a great director and no doubt his directorial inspiration will only add to the new movie. I know he can pull of a Bruce Wayne , but Im a little worried how he will do batman. How his version of batman will be.

How does this reduce that chance? Surely it's more likely now.

*cough*daredevil*cough* That and all I can picture right now for the new Batman is an ADHD duck that sounds like Gilbert Godfrey...

*cough*daredevil*cough* That and all I can picture right now for the new Batman is an ADHD duck that sounds like Gilbert Godfrey...

You know when Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine there was a large fan backlash. The same with Micheal Keaton as Batman, Christian Bale as Batman and evenHeath Ledger as Joker. All of those actors have done justice to the original characters.

Also I find it hard to blame the failed of Daredevil on Affleck, everything in that movie was bad. Plus I wouldn't Base Afflects career on Daredevil, watch Argo and some of the films he's personally directed. He's a great actor and Director. Even if he's bad in this film it wouldn't hinder the chance of Justice League. They would easily just recast the role. If anything Justice League is more dependent on Wonderwoman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern and who ever they want as a seventh member (Cyborg, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter). If DC can't get the majority of the JL represented in their own franchises then its doubtful that Justice League will happen.

You know when Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine there was a large fan backlash. The same with Micheal Keaton as Batman, Christian Bale as Batman and evenHeath Ledger as Joker. All of those actors have done justice to the original characters.

Also I find it hard to blame the failed of Daredevil on Affleck, everything in that movie was bad. Plus I wouldn't Base Afflects career on Daredevil, watch Argo and some of the films he's personally directed. He's a great actor and Director. Even if he's bad in this film it wouldn't hinder the chance of Justice League. They would easily just recast the role. If anything Justice League is more dependent on Wonderwoman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern and who ever they want as a seventh member (Cyborg, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter). If DC can't get the majority of the JL represented in their own franchises then its doubtful that Justice League will happen.

Argo is a farce, heck, Zero Dark Thirty is likely more accurate historically than Argo! I just don't see Affleck as Batman. Maybe as 'Bruce Wayne the egotistical jerk' sure, but not as either 'Batman the detective-genius' or as the darker 'Ragechild Batman with a grudge'...

Yeah, I try and think that way, but keep failing. Hugh Jackman was frowned apron because he was almost unknown and cast at the last minute. Michael Keaton there was backlash because at that time all he was known for was comedy. He had never been seen in a weightier role. Ledger was backlash mainly because it was unknown and very different than Nicholson's more classic take. Yes all of them proved us wrong. But there was a large amount of unknown there.

The problem is Ben Affleck is not an unknown. He is very much a well known quantity. So well known that the Ben Affleck persona tends to overshadow the role that he plays. Much like Tom Cruise or Will Smith. He comes off great in parts that he directs, or in parts created specifically with him in mind, because the roles are basically designed to put Ben Affleck on screen. But Batman is not that sort of role. Batman was not created for Ben Affleck. Historically when Ben gets that type of role he tends to be awful. And these days I fear we will not be able to actually see Batman, because we will have Ben Affleck standing in front of him. (Sigh! Was Karl Urban unavailable?)

Yeah, I try and think that way, but keep failing. Hugh Jackman was frowned apron because he was almost unknown and cast at the last minute. Michael Keaton there was backlash because at that time all he was known for was comedy. He had never been seen in a weightier role. Ledger was backlash mainly because it was unknown and very different than Nicholson's more classic take. Yes all of them proved us wrong. But there was a large amount of unknown there.

The problem is Ben Affleck is not an unknown. He is very much a well known quantity. So well known that the Ben Affleck persona tends to overshadow the role that he plays. Much like Tom Cruise or Will Smith. He comes off great in parts that he directs, or in parts created specifically with him in mind, because the roles are basically designed to put Ben Affleck on screen. But Batman is not that sort of role. Batman was not created for Ben Affleck. Historically when Ben gets that type of role he tends to be awful. And these days I fear we will not be able to actually see Batman, because we will have Ben Affleck standing in front of him. (Sigh! Was Karl Urban unavailable?)

Urban most likely was busy for a while, One of the Star Trek cast members ( forget who ). Said that Star Trek 3 will be shot next year. Plus Dredd is said to be having a sequel as it did really well on DVD.

I still think its too quick too judge, they haven't even started shooting the film yet. We still don't know who the villain is, who's playing Alfred, Gordon or if theirs going to be other Bat family members involved.

Sure Affleck has had a few shitty films, but I've never seen him as the cause of all of a films problems. Armageddon and Pearl Harbor aren't great films, but I think that's more down to Micheal Bay than anyone. Plus since both of those films Affleck has had much more experience in Acting. Daredevil was awful but again, not purely Afflecks fault. The whole cast was bad and the story wasn't great.

If this film is terrible I doubt it will be down to Affleck. If anything it will be because of WB rushing towards a shared universe. I still think that Superman should have a normal sequel, and Batman should have another solo outing. Also Zack Snyder is great with action but not with story. Plus if WB want a fresh start why have Nolan produce and Goyer write, get rid of them both for a start. Also no Joker, reference him but he doesn't need to be in this film.

Besides can Ben really be as bad as Kilmer, Clooney or West at being Batman?

Also in regards to the other comment Historical accuracy doesn't determine whether a film is good or bad. Look at Inglorious Bastards.

I still think its too quick too judge, they haven't even started shooting the film yet. We still don't know who the villain is, who's playing Alfred, Gordon or if theirs going to be other Bat family members involved.

Well, rumors abound that Bryan Cranston has signed a contract to appear as Lex Luthor in multiple films starting with this one, so maybe it's him.

Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Man of Steel was already an excruciating experience, at least for me (and nearly everyone I know not-online who saw it), and it's not like the sequel is driven by Affleck anyhow. If it was a solo outing, maybe there could be a tiny cause for concern as Affleck did used to give fairly dull performances early on in his career. As it is now, there's really no way to know how it will be before it comes out. If it's got the same level of stupidity as Man of Steel, even the greatest performance of Bruce Wayne/Batman in the world wouldn't be able to save it.

I have no idea if Henry Cavill was any good as Superman since the story was so mangled and he was given so little to actually do, but the sequel could still be tolerable.

There is a rumor that timothy dalton may play alfred in the movie.

I hope not... unless the Alfred we're getting is the complete inverse of every one that came before.

We've all heard the opinions of those hard-core fans, but what do you guys think? It was recently announced that Josh Brolin almost got the part, and he is happy for Affleck. Even Hugh Jackman says he'd be good. I mean c'mon! If Wolverine approves, then we approve too, right!

. This Video. Haha just kidding. I don;t really have a problem with it. I think he should at least get the benefit of the doubt. The only reason people really lynched on to Bale was because he was the first actor to make a really, really good batman film. And now everyone thinks the only place we can go from there is down.

Regardless what people think, this doesn't need to be it's own topic since we already have more general ones discussing the topic. Will merge soon… and done.

I've recently been rereading my Showcase Presents: Batman books just for the hell of it, and I have to ask: are there any Silver Age fans around here?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely prefer the tortured avenger crying out for Mommy and Daddy interpretation, and I think the Nolan films are the highest watermark of Bat-filmmaking, but goddamn if there isn't something just so great about the campy over-the-top nature of the Silver Age.

Anyone with me? Any fans of Batman '66? Batman: The Brave and the Bold?

Anyone with me? Any fans of Batman '66?

I'm here! :thumbup: I just love the old show, and ther new comic series as well!

Though I never liked BBB for some reason. :sceptic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

I'm here! :thumbup: I just love the old show, and ther new comic series as well!

Though I never liked BBB for some reason. :sceptic:

I agree wholeheartedly with you Pengy!

The problem with BBB for me me is that it is cheesy for the sake of cheesyness itself, if I may say so. It lacks a certain charm for me and I can hardly imagine who would be a great fan of the show. Either it is a hardcore fan of old comics or a kid who just likes the fun and action of the show. Practically each episode makes reference to old comics or some inside fan jokes, which can hardly be appreciated by fans of a younger generation (like myself).

I am looking forward to watching the new series. I hope they'll return Batman to his Hamlet-esque world. Which can hardly be the case with Mr. Toad around! :grin:

Either it is a hardcore fan of old comics or a kid who just likes the fun and action of the show. Practically each episode makes reference to old comics or some inside fan jokes, which can hardly be appreciated by fans of a younger generation (like myself).

You've rather hit the nail on the head, Pengy. I'm a connoisseur of Batman comics from all ages and possess (as I've said) multiple Showcase books collecting old Silver Age tales, as well as multiple volumes of the Batman Chronicles series, which collects Golden Age Tales.

Point is, I'd probably fit your definition of "hardcore", and one of the main things I love about B:TBATB is the ridiculously obscure inside jokes. The show is a hardcore geekfest, and the team-up format allows it to give obscure characters (some who have never before seen the light of television and possibly never will again) a day in the limelight. There is absolutely no way we ever would have seen Bat-Mite or Woozy Winks on Justice League.

I can certainly see where a less immersive fan might find it difficult to enjoy the show, but I like it.

And of course, John DiMaggio's Aquaman is always a blast.