The Penguin

Batman General Discussion Thread

I recently had surgery, so I treated myself to both Hush and Under the Red Hood graphic novels. They were both really good but I think I liked Red Hood better. The ending to Hush was kind of disappointing. Overall I love Batman with a passion and I can't wait for the new film and new sets :excited:

Very good. I agree about Hush ending, but still both of those are on the same level to me.

Aw, I finally got AA and Long Halloween in a proper books! :wub:

Those who haven't read those, I strongly recommend you to do so. If you have trouble finding those, I may be of some help. :wink:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Very good. I agree about Hush ending, but still both of those are on the same level to me.

Aw, I finally got AA and Long Halloween in a proper books! :wub:

Those who haven't read those, I strongly recommend you to do so. If you have trouble finding those, I may be of some help. :wink:

I've heard Long Halloween was really good, I wanna pick it up but I have to save money for the new SuperHeroes line :cry_sad: , would you say it's better then Under the Red Hood?

I've heard Long Halloween was really good, I wanna pick it up but I have to save money for the new SuperHeroes line :cry_sad: , would you say it's better then Under the Red Hood?

The Long Halloween is awesome, You can tell it where they got some ideas from The Dark Knight From, speaking of which both Long Halloween, and The Dark Knight are some of my favorite Batman comics and Films..

Edited by Sam Vimes

The Long Halloween is awesome

Dark Victory, the follow-up, is really rather good too, I'd definitely recommend it. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I'd recommend anything that has Tim Sale's art involved.

I've been following the new 52 from DC, and I can't express what a disappointment they have been. The art is generally passable, but the stories and flow are so much 'the same old, same old'. They are all hollow.

I think the problem is the current decompressed story telling trend. One issue reads like ten minutes if a movie, and there is little to hold your mind. If the comic industry shifted to selling books rather than issues, I wouldn't mind, but the current model of charging three dollars for next to nothing is mind boggling.

The industry has gotten so sophisticated (morrison's All Star Superman, Brubaker's Captain America) that I'd gotten high hopes. Instead, the DC new 52 is reading like a suicide note so far.

I've been following the new 52 from DC, and I can't express what a disappointment they have been. The art is generally passable, but the stories and flow are so much 'the same old, same old'. They are all hollow.

I think the problem is the current decompressed story telling trend. One issue reads like ten minutes if a movie, and there is little to hold your mind. If the comic industry shifted to selling books rather than issues, I wouldn't mind, but the current model of charging three dollars for next to nothing is mind boggling.

The industry has gotten so sophisticated (morrison's All Star Superman, Brubaker's Captain America) that I'd gotten high hopes. Instead, the DC new 52 is reading like a suicide note so far.

Hmm, can't say I share that opinion.

So far I've read Justice League #1, Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #1, Batman & Robin #1, Suicide Squad #1, Batman #1, Birds of Prey #1, Catwoman #1, Nightwing #1 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #1. With the exception of "Suicide Squad" (which was more or less ok) I really enjoyed those comics.

Batman #1 in particluar captures a lot of Batman's dark detective persona, mixed with dark humor and the harsh and frightening world of Gotham City. A good start.

I don't know which comics of this series you've read, and I'm sorry you didn't like them (it's always annoying to pay good money for something that turns out disappointing), but I agree that this "segmented" form of storytelling is tedious. I really wish for new (completed) stories in one book.

But it's still not fair to condemn all new "52's" (I still haven't read the rest and I probably won't). So far I'm hooked and plan to follow those series I've started with...

Edited by Vimes

Hmm, can't say I share that opinion.

So far I've read Justice League #1, Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #1, Batman & Robin #1, Suicide Squad #1, Batman #1, Birds of Prey #1, Catwoman #1, Nightwing #1 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #1. With the exception of "Suicide Squad" (which was more or less ok) I really enjoyed those comics.

Batman #1 in particluar captures a lot of Batman's dark detective persona, mixed with dark humor and the harsh and frightening world of Gotham City. A good start.

I don't know which comics of this series you've read, and I'm sorry you didn't like them (it's always annoying to pay good money for something that turns out disappointing), but I agree that this "segmented" form of storytelling is tedious. I really wish for new (completed) stories in one book.

But it's still not fair to condemn all new "52's" (I still haven't read the rest and I probably won't). So far I'm hooked and plan to follow those series I've started with...

I should have mentioned the ones I've read, mainly from week one, and I'm starting into week two now. And keep in mind I've been reading comics since I was 10, so that has been 25 years. I bought Arkahm Asylum when it came out! When I started buying comics, Wolverine was only in one book a month, Uncanny X-Men! So, I'm a little more burnt out on the hot artists and characters. And I'm old :cry_sad:

The really lame ones for me were Justice League, Justice League International, Detective Comics, Green Arrow, Batgirl, and Hawk & Dove. Really nothing interesting going on in those stories. And the art has no character. I used to love Jim Lee art, but it's seemed really dull for a long time for me. And Liefeld draws like a total amateur in Hawk & Dove. On one page, a character is tying a neck tie, and on the next page he's wearing a bow tie. Like, if the artist doesn't care, neither do I. And Tony Daniel bores me too, writing and art. But the 'story' of Detective has noting in it.

The so-so pile was Swamp Thing, Action Comics, and I can't remember what else. Animal Man was genuinely interesting to me, but I've been a fan of the character since the original Grant Morrison run. The story telling was deepest in that.

I've heard the Scott Snyder Batman is quite good, and the Batwoman too, so hopefully they do more for me.

My issue with it all is that DC has made a big deal of this being New 52! and that there would be something different, but so far it's just the same old same old. But there was no way they could introduce 52 books and have even half of them be very good. It's just too much.

Everyone's got their own tastes, and I'm glad some people are really into it. The comic industry needs to keep readers excited about their books :sweet:

I read Catwoman and Batwoman last night. Catwoman is getting a lot of flack for going beynod cheesecake into pure male fantasy areas, but I didn't hate it. The art was interesting and the coloring good. I'd put it in the so-so pile. I also never read any of the Ed Brubaker run, which has a strong reputation, so maybe I'd hate this more if I had that to compare it to.

Batwoman was a stunning book. The story was a bit abstract, but the art was some of the best I'd seen since Frank Quitely's Batman & Robin. Really gorgeous. I'll read more, if only to see what Williams is doing in the art. I was really jealous of his versatility as I read it. I can't recommend it enough.

Well, as I said before, I've found my way back to the world of super-hero-comics some months ago, after a break of about 16 years (I was a young kid, the last time I've collected comics), and I focused my primary attention on the DC-Universe (especially Batman).

Maybe that's why I'm still excited and more readily accepting when it comes to "new" comics or stories, but I still think the artists and writers of the last issues I've read did a good job regarding the purpose of The New 52 series - relaunching or rather presenting favourite characters for a broader spectrum of readers (and to make it easier for new readers to get to know those heroes/villains).

There has to happen old and traditional stuff, otherwise those characters would lose their, well, character. I want stories of my favourite heroes/villains where I discover familiar things going on etc.

I really enjoyed Justice League #1, Jim Lee's artwork, the scenario *SPOILER* (superheroes are relatively new, perceived as dangerous and are hunted by the authorities), the bitching and verbal dispute between Batman and Green Lantern (very enjoyable) etc. *SPOILER END*.

I'm still waiting for my issue of Batwoman #1, but the reviews of the artwork are throughout good (allthough the story is reputed to be a little bit muddleheaded), so I'm curious.

I can't say much about Hawk & Dove, I've just read some reviews (and Rob Liefelds art is critized almost everytime). They don't interest me much.

I plan to stick mostly to the Bat-Family (and maybe "Justice League" and "Action Comics" - I really liked that version of Superman).

So far, I'm pleased with this "DC - pseudo - relaunch"...

And Liefeld draws like a total amateur in Hawk & Dove.

You mean he doesn't normally? :wink:

I really must get round to reading the New 52s I've picked up, I've got a bit of a reading backlog going on at the moment. While I'm not sold on some of the changes that have been made, I'll go in with an open mind. The old stories are still out there, waiting for me to buy all those stunning trades and hardcovers anyway.

You mean he doesn't normally? :wink:

his command of anatomy and reality has always been shaky, but in the continuity of Hawk & Dove, he can't even be bothered to keep it from page to page. It's worth noting and being angry about. The editors are asleep at the wheel from issue one.

I remember buying his Captain America 15 years ago, smoking some pot with friends and killing ourselves laughing at how bad it was. In retraspect, he made a pile of money on that, and the scripter, Loeb, went onto make a pile of cash megablocking up the show Heroes. But the bottom line for me is that there were only a dozen or so backgrounds in that book, and in the 15 years since, he hasn't improved whatsoever. His art can make me laugh out loud in an Ed Wood way, so I'll give him credit for that.

Anybody interested in that series?:

PENGUIN: PAIN AND PREJUDICE

Written by GREGG HURWITZ; Art and cover by SZYMON KUDRANSKI

In the third issue of best-selling novelist Gregg Hurwitz's PENGUIN: PAIN AND PREJUDICE miniseries, the Penguin has a new girlfriend! But his new relationship is just an excuse for bigger heists and more vicious crimes, all to obtain gifts for his loved ones! And the flashier the crime, the more easily it catches Batman's eye. With The Dark Knight hot on his trail, will the Penguin back away from his life of crime – or will he continue his push to take over Gotham City's criminal underworld?

20453_400x600.jpg

20677_400x600.jpg

20809_400x600.jpg

Looks interesting enough for me. I've always enjoyed stories from a villain's point of view...

The Penguin Miniseries looks awesome...I can't wait for this in trade...and it reminds me of the Joker Minseries that the released back when The Dark Knight Came out.

his command of anatomy and reality has always been shaky, but in the continuity of Hawk & Dove, he can't even be bothered to keep it from page to page. It's worth noting and being angry about. The editors are asleep at the wheel from issue one.

I'll give you that one then, if it's within the issue itself. Stuff like that really bugs me...

When is it due?

I believe the first issue was out last week, with the second to follow at the beginning of November.

Must-get-it-now! :laugh:

Hm, I guess, I should order it.....

Thanks, Brainbox! :sweet:

Has anyone here seen Batman: Year One yet? The animated movie. If so, what did you think of it?

I was wondering if it had the same style as Gotham Knight. It looks, from the trailers, a bit better than Gotham Knight (which I didn't like), but I wish it had the 'dark deco' of BTAS. :sadnew:

Year one was spot on to the comic. The only complaint I had, was the guy who did Batman/bruce wayne's voice. It was lack luster. It screamed terrible and it almost made me turn the movie off. But really, it followed the comic to a T.

I've picked up the new 52, and being a long time batman reader, I've discovered this. I prefered the Dick Grayson Batman. Now I know that's crazy, but I would have liked to see Tim Drake and Dick doing the dynamic duo. Damian Wayne is meh imho. I do enjoy the Teen Titans though. I just sort of wish they didn't press the reset button on the whole Universe. And what the heck is happening with Superman? Bums me out.

Hi, Bat-fans! Sorry to revive this topic, but I had a question that I was hoping one of the more knowledgeable fans might know: Why is there usually a T-Rex on display in the Batcave? I can't remember any Batman story that involved dinosaurs and took place in the present day. :look:

Hi Oky,

There's been an old story about Batman fighting (robot) dinosaurs on Dinosaur Island, but I can't remember when this took place.

The story was later updated, and retold in "The Batman Chronicles" #8 (April 1997):

TheBatmanChronicles8The13969_f.jpg

Edit:

Oh, and "Yes, it is the story about how the T-Rex came into the Batcave". :wink:

The Chronicles-Story is called "Secrets Of The Batcave: Dinosaur Island".

Edited by Nebsirob

Well, seeing as this thread is back in the public eye, anyone looking forward to this new series, 'Beware the Batman'?

Bewarethebatman-promotional.jpg

Robin seems to have been replaced with 'Katana', Alfred's tray seems to have been replaced with duel pistols (which sort of makes sense, as he's the one Batman trusts to have a weapon), and Joker appears to have been replaced with Professor Pyg (I'm glad they're giving the Joker a break, he's the main antagonist in too many incarnations of Batman).

Any idea who the people left and right of Pyg are? The only person I can think of is Mr. Toad, and I only know him from Penguin's custom minifigures! :blush:

Is it just me or does Katanna Look like NEWBTAS Style Nightwing.....And I love how Profesor Pyg is in this..and not the regular characters such as Joker and freinds..

There's been an old story about Batman fighting (robot) dinosaurs on Dinosaur Island, but I can't remember when this took place.

Ah, I see, thanks. I was wondering if it had something to do with that other Dinosaur Island from The Brave and the Bold, but this makes more sense.

Well, seeing as this thread is back in the public eye, anyone looking forward to this new series, 'Beware the Batman'?

I am. We've been discussing that series in the cartoons thread.

Any idea who the people left and right of Pyg are? The only person I can think of is Mr. Toad, and I only know him from Penguin's custom minifigures! :blush:

The Penguin - Expanding our knowledge of Bat-villains since 2009. :laugh:

Yeah, I have no clue. :tongue:

Is it just me or does Katanna Look like NEWBTAS Style Nightwing...

True, but she still has a distinct girlish figure. She actually reminds me more of Violet from The Incredibles, which is awesome. :thumbup:

So far, I'm not digging the approach the new series is heading. Gun-weilding in these shows is really dumb because no one ever dies, so they should just put Alfred back to his dayjob. Katanna is my least favourite bat-sidekick, and I really don't like the way shes designed. Batman looks okay, but his head is a bit to triangle-like. And I'm disappointed that joker isn't the prominent antagonist. A bat without a clown is like peanut butter without jam, it just doesn't happen.

Could This Mean that the Chances of Hush or Black Mask having a bigger role is possible...Then Heck yea if that happens..

The Joker is nice Character, but Hopefully they will not give him a crappy redesign like they did in The Batman Show from what 2006, or so.