Sandy

Heroica RPG - Library

"Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to take a stroll down there sometime, as well as look into some of those Pyrian plays." She bids the Metasimian farewell, and leaves.

Breakdown of Ether and Magic, by Edward the Black.

Chapter One; Introduction

Scholars, both magically gifted and scientifically trained alike, have been unable to determine what Ether actually is, but both groups agree that is all around us, and even inside of us. There are those that can manipulate the Ether inside of us, we commonly refer to those as Magic-Users. Some possess more inherent ether than others, and that often comes with a natural affinity for Magic, but even those with less talent, can be trained in the arts of magic. Some of the most powerful Mages known to the civilized world, did not display magical talent at young age. To succesfully use magic, one needs a point of focus. This is often a precious and cut gemstone, corresponding with the elements; Fire, Lightning (or Electricity, as Scientists call it), Air (or Wind), Ice, Water, Life (or Wood, I dislike this term because trees are only one spectrum of this type of Magic), Earth, Light and Darkness (or Shadow). A focus can also be a weapon, an inscribed scroll or even blood, an opponent or the magic users own body. Trying to produce magic without a focus will result in failure, or accidental use of the body, which often leads to terrible results. Some believe a Cleric's magic is something different entirely, but many others believe a Cleric uses the Gods or their believe in the Gods as their focus for manipulating the Ether. Continued use of magic will deplete the Ether in the body, which will eventually fall to such a level that the Magic-User will be unable to cast anymore. This Ether can be replenished in time, by resting, or by the consumption of what we call a Tonic. Tonic is highly concentrated Ether, and consuming it will restore parts of what the Magic-User had lost. There have not been found drawbacks to consuming Tonic, instead of resting, but a Magic-User should always be vigilant, for there are individuals that would sell inferior or non-working liquids as Tonic. A good test is to hold the Tonic by an open flame. If it is quality Tonic, the liquid should begin to boil almost instantly and turn a violet colour.

Nessa was walking into the library. She wasn't much into books though but she had some questions. So she approached the librarian. "So, your name is Byblos, right? Tell me, what can you say me about a land called Brandon... no wait, Benneton. Gosh... what was it?" Nessa thought about the description of her new quest. Finally she got it. "Brendenton. Yes that is what it is called. And please only the facts I need to know. I'm in a hurry. My ship is to leave soon. And when you are on to it I also like to know something about Sundestia." She was feeling a little bit strange talking to a chimp. Hopefully she got her answer before she had to leave.

Nessa was walking into the library. She wasn't much into books though but she had some questions. So she approached the librarian. "So, your name is Byblos, right? Tell me, what can you say me about a land called Brandon... no wait, Benneton. Gosh... what was it?" Nessa thought about the description of her new quest. Finally she got it. "Brendenton. Yes that is what it is called. And please only the facts I need to know. I'm in a hurry. My ship is to leave soon. And when you are on to it I also like to know something about Sundestia." She was feeling a little bit strange talking to a chimp. Hopefully she got her answer before she had to leave.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg "Yes, my name is indeed Byblos. Of course I can tell you of Brendenton, or Sailor's Haven as it once was called. The City belongs to the kingdom of Sundestia, one of the Lower kingdoms. Sundestia's capitol, Orsedd, is allot smaller, but positioned on the same river that feeds into the delta by which Brendenton resides. Sundestia is ruled by Queen Cyrene, and the many Lords of the land. The nation has fought many wars with its neighbors in the past, but is currently at "peace" with he surrounding kingdoms--likely due to crisscrossed alliances and The Queen's powerful army of northern mercenaries. The City of Brendenton is the largest in Sundestia, and one of the largest ports on the Crystalline Sea (although it's not quite as large as Eubric). It's overseen by Lord Brenden, and his son (who many suspect is the true power in the city), Lord Brenden II. The city was once called "Sailor's Haven" due to the magnitude of trade that occurred in the city, particularly in cloth. The city's name was changed by Lord Brenden when he inherited the rule of Sailor's Haven from its previous lord, and it is now known world-wide as the largest producer and exporter of fine cloth. Odds are, you're wearing Brendentonian cloth right now. It's purchased by merchants near and far, contributing to a thriving market--usually. They've hit some hard-times recently, and the cloth market has seen drastic losses. Other than that, I can tell you that the other power in Brendenton is the Church of Ennoc. They've held power over the general populous for decades, likely due to the influx of Ennoc-believers after the Orcish invasion. There is also a high population of were-ravens within the city. The city is broken into districts, such as the Mage's District, the Market District, the Wharfs, the Peasant District, etc. That should be enough general information for you, but come back if you'd like to know anything specific."

Arthur entered the Library with the same stealth with which he had entered the Hall, and a great deal more trepidation. "Byblos? It's me. We...we need to talk." He approached the large desk, pausing to take a few records of recent Quests off the shelves. There were more of them than he had expected. "Byblos...I screwed up. I'm sorry. Your life is your own, your decisions your own. It's not my place to interfere in them. Can you forgive me?"

"Byblos? It's me. We...we need to talk." He approached the large desk, pausing to take a few records of recent Quests off the shelves. There were more of them than he had expected. "Byblos...I screwed up. I'm sorry. Your life is your own, your decisions your own. It's not my place to interfere in them. Can you forgive me?"

The Metasimian came to meet Arthur, eyeing him suspiciously. The librarian's eyelids drooped from an apparent lack of sleep, and his robes were wrinkled and dusty.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"You ask for my forgiveness? Very well, apology accepted. What more do you want from me, Arthur?"

"Advice. You have studied more than any other being I have known, so perhaps you know the answers I seek--or at least you can help me find where to look. Byblos, I was betrayed by Chaos, despite having served it well. It...destroyed...much that I held dear, for that is the ultimate end of Chaos: destruction. But I cannot serve Order, either--I have seen firsthand its ultimate end, too: enslavement, both literal and metaphorical. And the suppression of free will I cannot abide. But where, then, does that leave me? My beacons in the Gray are extinguished, and I must light new ones. But what?"

"I guess what I am asking is this: where is the middle ground? What is opposite to both Order and Chaos, keeping the strengths of both and the excesses of neither?"

"I guess what I am asking is this: where is the middle ground? What is opposite to both Order and Chaos, keeping the strengths of both and the excesses of neither?"

Byblos frowned in thought.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Arthur, have you thought about the purpose of your life? What makes you happy and satisfied? Do you honestly see yourself spending your entire life in servitude? It seems your strong beliefs in a higher power let you down because you thought they were something they were not. Isn't it time you stopped putting your life in the hands of some power that may or may not exist, and concentrate on living your own life? Me, I made the choice to spend my life with these books, and I have been happy here - I needed no deity to tell me that. I ask again, what would make you happy? What should you do to achieve that?"

Sarge turns to Byblos " I can't read, so can I ask you about something? Well I'm going to anyway so don't bother declining me. What can ya' tell me about Newharbour? I never been there nor stole nothin' much there I swear on me life it wasn't me. So I was curious and such."

Edited by Skyrimguy

Sarge turns to Byblos " I can't read, so can I ask you about something? Well I'm going to anyway so don't bother declining me. What can ya' tell me about Newharbour? I never been there nor stole nothin' much there I swear on me life it wasn't me. So I was curious and such."

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Newharbour is the most important trading port in all of the High Kingdoms, since it is perched on the only strip of coastline they have to the Crystalline Sea, between the ruined Ennon and the great Mountains of Titaan. It was build after the orcish invasion laid waste on Port Goldor, the city that previously laid there. History books tell that Port Goldor used to be the center of entertainment and art for all the High Kingdoms. Newharbour unfortunately has not followed that legacy, it's strictly focused on making business. Occasionally some relics of the old, golden days come to the surface there, such as a lost painting or the foundations of a grand theater, so you can find some arts collectors there, as well."

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Newharbour is the most important trading port in all of the High Kingdoms, since it is perched on the only strip of coastline they have to the Crystalline Sea, between the ruined Ennon and the great Mountains of Titaan. It was build after the orcish invasion laid waste on Port Goldor, the city that previously laid there. History books tell that Port Goldor used to be the center of entertainment and art for all the High Kingdoms. Newharbour unfortunately has not followed that legacy, it's strictly focused on making business. Occasionally some relics of the old, golden days come to the surface there, such as a lost painting or the foundations of a grand theater, so you can find some arts collectors there, as well."

/QuestIdea

"Thanks"

Edited by Skyrimguy

Byblos frowned in thought.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Arthur, have you thought about the purpose of your life? What makes you happy and satisfied? Do you honestly see yourself spending your entire life in servitude? It seems your strong beliefs in a higher power let you down because you thought they were something they were not. Isn't it time you stopped putting your life in the hands of some power that may or may not exist, and concentrate on living your own life? Me, I made the choice to spend my life with these books, and I have been happy here - I needed no deity to tell me that. I ask again, what would make you happy? What should you do to achieve that?"

"..."

"...I don't know. I don't think I've been happy--truly happy--in a long time." Memories filled his mind and his heart. Building, preparing the defenses of Bric'bay with Count Knyghton...Commanding, leading the Lion Knights in Dastan alongside Skrall...Fighting, trying to break down the palace doors in Drakencourt with Alexandre...and rescuing Ella with Cronk and Atramor...Training, with Copper Fox and De'kra...Learning, as he did from Tensi and Triad, and later Jules...Leading, as he had Thalion and De'kra with the Ji Pei...Teaching, as he had done with both that very same day...and the present: the brotherhood he shared with Dyric...and Alexis...the love he knew for her, and that she gave back to him...so many memories...their faces shone before him, as clearly as if they stood in the room with him.

Other memories came to mind...

DSCN0090_zps08254c59.jpg

"Aye, direction is important. It's funny, Felton has said it from time to time that Wren gave us somethin' to do, and I 'spose that's true in some ways. But I think Cronk says it better than anyone else. You see evil, you bash evil. I know your pasts are more complex, but I'm with you, Arthur. Enjoy what you've got when you've got it. That's the way I see life. If something is preventing you from being happy... you bash it."

DSCN0048-1_zps21383205.jpg

"When you want something, you seize it. Now, I have an appointment with Passion. I'll see you later, Regulus. Remember what I have said."

Byblos was pleased that Arthur had come to his aid. It had been a long time since anyone visited the Library. He had gone out to get some bananas drinks with Hoptet and Scaro a few times, but the two champions did not seem interested in his endless supply of inconsequential trivia. And Byblos was not interested about their tales of monsters and bloodshed, either.

But Arthur seemed different from most other champions. He actually cared what was inside the books, and was always eager to learn more and share what he had learned. Byblos even said to Arthur that if he ever got bored to being a hero, he'd make a great teacher.

Working on the chronicles of the quests in Dastan reminded Byblos of a map he had thus far neglected to put on display. He got up and carried the heavy scroll onto the table on top of the books, and rolled it open.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"What do you think?" he asked Arthur, beaming.

althiorfinnegan2.jpg

"Why are we put on this Earth, Arthur? Is it to make a difference? Or is it just so the gods can find some cheap laughs screwing around with our minds?"

ava-arthur.jpg

"I think we're here so we aren't alone. I don't believe that the gods control our destiny any more than one person can control their own fate. Rather, it's by the connections we make that we change the future."

Arthur_Sorcerer_Ava1.jpg

"I guess what makes me happy is...people. Connections. Does that make sense? I don't know how I can achieve that...but I guess I'll never know if I never try." Arthur straightens. "Thank you, Byblos. You've given me a lot to think about. Before my next Quest, I promise: you, me, banana rum and enough stories to fill a thousand books. That's a guarantee." At the door to the Library, Arthur turns and smiles--weakly, but there was something behind it. Something that hadn't been there for a long time.

Hope.

Edited by Flipz

Arthur_Sorcerer_Ava1.jpg

"I guess what makes me happy is...people. Connections. Does that make sense? I don't know how I can achieve that...but I guess I'll never know if I never try." Arthur straightens. "Thank you, Byblos. You've given me a lot to think about. Before my next Quest, I promise: you, me, banana rum and enough stories to fill a thousand books. That's a guarantee." At the door to the Library, Arthur turns and smiles--weakly, but there was something behind it. Something that hadn't been there for a long time.

Hope.

Byblos mustered up a smile.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"You have got yourself a deal, Arthur."

But the librarian was torn. Spending time with the sorcerer would mean time spent away from the Pandemonicon. He knew that all the wondrous things the forsaken tome had showed him paled in comparison to what still remained hidden among the cryptic texts. But one thing was sure: Byblos was now even more determined to keep the book away from Arthur. The young man was too sensitive to handle what it contained, too attached to people and too dependent on doing what he felt was right. Byblos himself had no such ties. The few people in his life - his cousin Thothwick and Hoptet, Lady Adeline Rouge Doux, the hyenaman Scaro - were all inconsequential to him now. Their lives would follow their own paths.

No, there was no room for anyone in the path Byblos had chosen. It was his fate, his burden to bear. Alone.

Guts opened the door to the Library. He walked around a few bookcases, then asked: "Metasimian, are you here? I'm looking for a book on Sailing."

"Metasimian, are you here? I'm looking for a book on Sailing."

Byblos peeks out of the backroom, and points the shelf that is labeled "Sailing". He then retreats back to solitude.

The raider chuckled at Byblos skittishness, took a quick look at the shelf, and grabbed a couple that looked of import (Tides and Currents of the Free Islands, Sailing for Beginnners, Terra Chiman Ships, Your First Vessel), and then walked back to the Hall. Scholars, he would never understand. Knowledge was useless without power, after all.

The raider chuckled at Byblos skittishness, took a quick look at the shelf, and grabbed a couple that looked of import (Tides and Currents of the Free Islands, Sailing for Beginnners, Terra Chiman Ships, Your First Vessel), and then walked back to the Hall. Scholars, he would never understand. Knowledge was useless without power, after all.

Knowledge is power

"Byblos, I need to know all there is to know about Duplovia!?"

Byblos quickly pulls a book from a shelf, and drops it heavily in front of Sarge before retreating back to his original studies.

Discourse on Duplovia:

duplovia2.png

Duplovia is an ancient city, built long ago in the High Kingdoms by giants of old. While the giants have died out, the ancient city remains strong, and the largest city in the High Kingdoms. This is partially due to the massive walls designs and constructed by the great giant Harbid. These walls run between the six of the seven mountains which make up the borders of Duplovia, the seventh and greatest of the mountains being the centerpiece for Duplovia's castle. Despite countless attacks, the walls have never fallen to any creature on Olegia, or Quarra as it is known in the ancient Duplovian tongue.

Chapter One: Duplovian Life

Architecture and Family Structure

After some time, a race of human colonists found the ancient walls and the ruins within. They took up residence in the old city, and began to rebuild. Of the most famous of buildings is the Hall of Curious, a massive hall built around a strange rock formation. The hall is filled with artifacts from across the world, many with magical abilities, and some with entirely unknown properties. The Hall has special guides, and an elite caste of guards of Curios to protect the artifacts from visitors with dubious motives, and vice versa.

Duplovians both admire and envy the massive buildings constructed by the giants before them. Many of the buildings strongly reflect those structures of old that still stand. These houses are naturally massive, and thus it is not uncommon for there to be 2-4 Duplovian families in one house. This is the smallest social unit, the big household, and the head of the household is a patriarch or matriarch from one of the families.

The abundance of indoor activities, combined with the sometimes harsh climate conditions, is the reason why many of the public places in Duplovia are under a roof. Livestock is held in large barns, and the majestic Royal Stables span nearly 1000 feet from one end to the other.

The Governing System

Duplovia is governed by a king, chosen by public elections. In election to the throne, it is the head of the household who votes for each house. There are two notable stances in the elections - internal and external affairs. The current king, King Simoral, is of the former group. They prefer a more conservative policy with focus on the stabilization of the kingdom and internal affairs like fighting crime and corruption. King Simoral has notably placed a large interest in stopping the spread of thieving rogues through the city. The opposition has a more aggressive stance against the neighboring areas - particularly Delfrin, Duplovia's sworn enemy - and wants to expand the kingdom by conquer, and use of Duplovia's superb cavalry.

Religion

Like in Eubric, the religion in Duplovia is diverse, but the deity of most followers is Ennoc, followed by Mercutio and Amaldea & Melodion. Even though there are numerous followers of light, there is no permanent station of the Paladin Order in Eubric. The followers of Ennoc are mainly driven by civilian population, and has no standing army.

Wildlife and Farming

The area controlled by Duplovia is rich in wildlife which is hunted for the furs and rare weeds and plants that are used in numerous ways. The River Dubley provides the ancient city with water and fish, but not enough to meet the big demand for sea water and fish that many Duplovians share, therefore a lot of that is imported from the villages and towns near the Crystalline sea, notably Newharbour.

The largest producer of grains, fruits and vegetables is the Crisson Fields, named and first created by the ingenious farmer who kept the massive city fed during the generation-year-long Siege of Duplovia. The Crisson Fields have since been treated with all respect.

Other Races

Besides humans, there are several groups of races in the Duplovian area. The dark tunnels of Duplovian are said to be filled with Duplovian Cave Trolls, a group more barbaric than their Eubric selves, at least as far as historians can tell. To the dismay of many activists, Duplovian Cave Trolls are often used as beasts of burden in the great city.

The Norghs are another primarily cave-dwelling race. They are infamous for their small size and high-pitched chatter, however they have a ferocity that makes up for their appearance. They are brilliant miners, and are sometimes said to chew through rock.

Chapter Two: War and Military

Duplovian Military

Duplovia is famous for its large cavalry, which is utterly disciplined and loyal to the Throne. It should be noted that it is the Throne they are loyal to, not the King - if the cavalry finds a king unsuitable for the Throne they will usually dethrone him and order a new election. If the King resists, this will be done by force.

The Duplovian military system is a hierarchy of command. Below is a general table of ranks:

Legatus - the 'commander-in-chief'

Dux - Leads 2-3 legions (10,000 - 15,000 men in total)

Centurian - Leads a group of 100 men.

Decurion - Leads a cavalry of 30 men.

Decanus - Leads a group of 8 men.

Patricians - Cavalry (Knights)

Sagittari - Archers

Legionary - Heavy infantry

Velites - Light infantry

(Basic military ranks, officers, top ranks)

There are are few notable ranks within the military. The Praetorian Guard an elite group which is focused on the protection of the Throne. The head of this guard is often called the Royal Guard by civilians, but officially go as Prefects. For the past several generations, the title of Prefect has been bestowed on a man of the Rone family. This title is usually held until the Prefect is unable to perform his job, but in some circumstances - such as the Prefect shaming the Throne - the Prefect may be punished as the King sees fit and the next in line will be titled as Prefect.

Immunes are a group of soldiers who were 'immune' to combat duty, but had a more specialist job in the military. Signifiers bear the flag of Duplovia into battle. Cornicens are the minstrels of the the Duplovian army. Architects operated the rapidly-advancing technology of the Duplovian military, but often retired architects worked as civilian designers or mechanics.

Enemies of Duplovia

Over the years, Duplovia has been constantly assaulted by numerous cities and states, jealous and determined to break Harbid's Ancient Walls. One of the earliest and longest recorded battles is with Delfrin, the city to the east. When King Fimborn of Duplovia wanted to expand the city, he focused his conquest on Delfrin, who he deemed weak. His perceptions proved false - Delfrin not only withstood the attack, but responded with a siege that lasted a generation. It was during the siege that the Crisson Fields were first constructed, as well as the Lines of Clazure. The Lines of Clazure where ancient lines of defense created to defend against a possible breach from the Northern Gate, where Delfrin was most likely to attack. The Dravis and Cyro roads, as well as the Great Highway, were all a part of the Lines, devised by military strategist Clazure and his two second-in-commands. When Duplovia survived the siege, Clazure, Dravis and Cyro were hailed as heroes.

Duplovia and Delfrin have been at a state of hostility for generations now, but between this time Duplovia has been assaulted by many others. The most recent attack was one by a city of magic-wielders, a group Duplovia frustratingly struggled to defeat. Furious at their magical waves, the King at the time set out to destroy the race entirely. After several years, there has continued to be no report from the city the magic-wielders came from.

OOC: Props go to Etzel for assisting with parts of this article

Edited by The Legonater

IC: De'kra took his leave of the hall, and approached Byblos. "Librarian," he clicks, "I was wondering, what can you tell I about Wolfgang? Only a few times have heroes met them, and they rarely talk about it. So what does Eubric record about them and their influence and actions on Uland? Also, I believe I friend Arthur comes here on occasion, has he ever told you anything about his homeland?"

IC: De'kra took his leave of the hall, and approached Byblos. "Librarian," he clicks, "I was wondering, what can you tell I about Wolfgang? Only a few times have heroes met them, and they rarely talk about it. So what does Eubric record about them and their influence and actions on Uland? Also, I believe I friend Arthur comes here on occasion, has he ever told you anything about his homeland?"

The Metasimian librarian lets out a big yawn as he walks to De'kra. He has gotten seemingly skinnier and more gaunt recently, and his walk looks uneasy, as if he hasn't moved in ages.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"I've already listed basic information about Wolfgang for everyone to see (OoC: see the first page of this topic), but you have to understand that the Wolfgang is a very secretive organization. Heroica is rumoured to have spies in the Wolf's Den, their hideout, but they report only to the Veterans, not to me."

"As for your second question, you can read the books about Olegaian geography, or ask your friend Arthur directly. I'm sorry, but I have no times for lectures."

IC: De'kra nodded slowly, the Metasimian seemed a little tense since he had last seen him. It might just be De'kra's imagination though. The echo quickly looked over the basic information, and what had een listed in the prior quests. There was nothing particularly outstanding, De'kra would have to wait for Arthur to return before he made any major decision.

Mizuki walks into the library and looks around the library. Seeing a figure in front of her sorting through some pages, Mizuki asks him "Excuse me, can you please describe the land of Xu or show me any maps of it ?"

Mizuki walks into the library and looks around the library. Seeing a figure in front of her sorting through some pages, Mizuki asks him "Excuse me, can you please describe the land of Xu or show me any maps of it ?"

Byblos feels irritated about the disturbance, although he hasn't seen a soul in the library besides Scheherazade in days.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Ah, err... Umm, Xu, you say? I do have maps here somewhere... Oh bother, they have gone out of order, it seems."

In fact, the whole library is in disarray and dusty whereas it used to be perfectly organized and spotless.

"Well, I do remember that the great land of Xu is divided into 26 provinces; Ashan, Wuxian, Trema, Hoshin, Kan Tang, and so on and so forth. The capital is Ai Xurong, "the Citadel in the Clouds". The blue-skinned aoi rules the land, with the five-membered Council of the Blue Hand at their lead. Unfortunately the race is dying out, and it's only a matter of time before the power in the land shifts to the members of other races. So far, everyone has been obeying the aoi because of their superior technology and skills in warfare. There's an on-going war between Xu and the nagas of Nagashan, but those two nations have been each other's throats since the dawn of time. Some territorial disagreements, if I remember correctly. Oh yeah, they get around on airships over there. I hope that's enough info for you. I need to... get some rest now. Yes, rest."

The Metasimian wobbles to the backroom and slams the door shut.

OoC: Sorry for the long wait, I forgot to answer you before this.