Sandy

Heroica RPG - Library

De'kra thanked the hominid, and looked through some of the books on the Dastan Empire. The dragons of the east struck a cord in the shades mind, something about gigantic reptiles seemed so familiar, especially their use as mounts. There also was a spark at the mention of militaristic mountaineers, especially them riding dragons. Could that be his homeland? It seemed a little doubtful, since he had washed up on the east southeastern region of the sea, while the empire was northeastern. Still, he didn't know the currents of this land, nor if the Dastan empire had grown since last recorded.

De'kra entered the library from the hall, his hand trying to block out the bright sunlight. Quickly he dove into the books, trying to understand this world. All the while he could feel the light, batting against his back. There was a feeling there, a sense of mental pain. What was the source of this pain?

Diving into the books, the shade found that that information was a little scanty on older matters. However there was plenty of information on the three most recent quests. De'kra could see the connection that Orc knight had noticed, but who was this Abraxas?

There also was some information on the seven houses and the original heroes. It turns out there were only six houses, the seventh was a rising power. Somehow the number was comforting, as if six was a more spiritual number than seven. The Bonapartes sounded interesting as well, he would have to try to aid them in a quest sometime. On the matter of the Veterans, De'kra found the Fey One the most interesting. The mysteries behind that Veteran reminded De'kra of his own shrouded past, not to mention they both shared a certain feature.

Glad to understand more about the Free Islands, De'kra went to the Librarian. "Who Abraxas?" asked the shade, "I might say name wrong."

The librarian told De'Kra that he would need to do research on the term "Abraxas", so the shade would have to wait for a while.

Eventually Byblos returned.

"The only references I found about Abraxas were from texts about demonology. It looks like this Abraxas has something to do with the demonic manifestation of pride. Every other vice has their demonic counterpart as well: greed, lust, wrath, envy, gluttony and sloth. So Abraxas seems to be the demon of pride, if I've understood the texts correctly. These are not matters that I delve in with pleasure, but knowledge is power, and we cannot defeat evil if we do not know anything about it."

Althior strode into the the library that the ranger Docken had spoke about. ( :tongue: ) Still wondering about the mystery's of Ziegfried Mansion. He then saw the Librarian and went to ask a few questions.

"Hello Byblos. I have a few questions about Eubric that I couldn't find in any books. Could you help me?"

"Do you have a map of Ziegfried manor with the basement?"

"Is there any more info on the Wolfgang?"

"Is there any more info on the Doomsayer?"

De'kra thanked Byblos for the information, and began to head back to the hall. De'kra still wasn't sure what a dean-man was, but they appear to be entities tied to negative emotions. Perhaps they fed on the emotions of mortals, which is why Abraxas was fed souls. Either way, the dots were coming together.

Althior strode into the the library that the ranger Docken had spoke about. ( :tongue: ) Still wondering about the mystery's of Ziegfried Mansion. He then saw the Librarian and went to ask a few questions.

"Hello Byblos. I have a few questions about Eubric that I couldn't find in any books. Could you help me?"

"Do you have a map of Ziegfried manor with the basement?"

"Is there any more info on the Wolfgang?"

"Is there any more info on the Doomsayer?"

The librarian laughed.

"I am quite sure the houses in power would not like it if I kept maps of their homes in this library. We do have quite a few rogues as members as well, remember? I'm afraid I cannot help you with the other questions, either. Everything I know about those subjects I have written for everyone to see."

Haldor makes a quick visit to the library and asks:

"I notice the map show 'the acadamy of enlightenment', may I ask about this?"

Haldor makes a quick visit to the library and asks:

"I notice the map show 'the acadamy of enlightenment', may I ask about this?"

"Certainly. The Academy of Enlightenment is what some nations call an university, a place of learning for the youth of the influential families of Eubric. Unfortunately the entry fee is too high for the majority of people. I myself believe knowledge belongs to everyone, regardless of what family or race you were born into."

De'kra emerged into the library, hoping his time here would be well spent. "You say there seven dean mans, of pride, lust, greed, envy, sloth, gluttony, and wrath. But what demons exactly? There heroes who think Abraxas eat souls, because captured souls found in Ziegfried crate, and Ziegfried basement has Abraxas inside. Dean mans eat souls? Also, why will they?"

De'kra emerged into the library, hoping his time here would be well spent. "You say there seven dean mans, of pride, lust, greed, envy, sloth, gluttony, and wrath. But what demons exactly? There heroes who think Abraxas eat souls, because captured souls found in Ziegfried crate, and Ziegfried basement has Abraxas inside. Dean mans eat souls? Also, why will they?"

Byblos frowns in confusion.

"I beg your pardon, sir, but I haven't the slightest idea what you just asked me. There are accounts of many more than just seven demons, it's just the scripture that mentioned Abraxas that spoke of those seven vices attracting demons. But like I said earlier, I do not delve into demonology light-heartedly, so I think it is best if you find the answers to your questions yourself."

De'kra nods in reply, and heads towards the hall. Apparently there were seven vices of dean mans, not only seven dean mans. Perhaps there are seven tribes of dean man, based on preference. The number seven did not sit in De'kra's mind well. It was only the third best number in existence, it was not infallible. Either way, there were many questions but few answers.

finnegan.jpg

NPC

The strange mage known as Finnegan the Sand blue rushes into the library, clutching a leather book to his chest and with a look of excitement on his face.

"Byblos! Byblos! I have completed the first part of my book! Creatures and Monsters of the High Kingdoms and Free Islands, Beasts of the Environs Within. I know it is far from complete, but I wish to store it here at the library for the interested to take a look. I will then add to it once heroes return from their quests."

He handed the heavy tome over to the librarian and stood back proudly to see the reaction to his masterwork.

Henry reads the first chapter of Finnegan's book with great interest. "That's some helpful information you've written down there. I usually don't care much about books, if I can't sell them high proced, but I like that book a lot. Those war pigs sound funny, hopefully I'll hit on them sometime."

De'kra walked into the library, and looked at the new book of the islands' known life. The life was divided into groups of terrain, from land, sea, and air. Among the bests of the land were the Direwolves, the race that his Fang Dagger hails from. It was interesting that they were social creatures, as they are already incredibly strong. So what creature could they hunt that is so strong it requires Direwolves to work together? And why do these wolves look so familiar...

The shade entered the library, noting that like the hall it seemed empty of life. Walking to the Metasimian librarian, De'kra asked, "What end Ennon kingdom? I think Veterans defeat Orcs, why kingdom still end?"

The shade entered the library, noting that like the hall it seemed empty of life. Walking to the Metasimian librarian, De'kra asked, "What end Ennon kingdom? I think Veterans defeat Orcs, why kingdom still end?"

"It is true that the original Veterans managed to defeat the Orc King and thus disperse the remaining orcish troops, but unfortunately it was too late for Ennon. The whole royal bloodline as well as most of the nobility were slain, the towns were ruined and all the farms had been devastated by the invading army. Nowadays the lands of Ennon only hold monsters and roguish orcs. The people who fled the country had little desire to return to their destroyed homeland, and now they are all taken by time anyway. It is a sad story, indeed. It is no wonder why orcs and goblins are so hated even to this day, even though I personally believe it is unjust to the current generations who had nothing to do with the invasion."

~Note: The first post has been updated with the most common Deities in Eubric. Currently it introduces only two, but more are on the way.~

De'kra nods and walks away towards the hall. Honestly the shade feels some resentment to the villagers of this world. Not because of the treatment of modern Orcs, though their was anger towards that as well, but that they surrendered. If Ennon was truly their home, they should have struggled to reclaim it. Villagers grow too weak when not cornered, when heroes can save them. They abandoned their home, fleeing from a danger. And because of that their home is no more. They didn't have to fight the Orcs, but at the least they could have tried to rebuild.

Edited by Tanma

~Note: The first post is updated with the current quests. Three more deities were added there, as well as an updated map of Eubric and a link to the Bestiary.~

Byblos lifted his eyes off the scroll he'd be examining. He looked around, and there was no one in sight. The whole Hall seemed to be devoid of life. A smile spread on the librarians face.

"Finally, some alone time!"

He opened the top drawer of his desk and took out a banana. As he peeled it he leaned back in his chair. For a while the silence of the library was filled with happy munching sounds.

Arasmyth walks into the Library, still grumbling about the lack of new quests.

"You, librarian. I am a highly renowned sorceror in a perpetual quest for knowledge. What can you tell me about magic? As in, uses, origins, details, anything you know?"

"You, librarian. I am a highly renowned sorceror in a perpetual quest for knowledge. What can you tell me about magic? As in, uses, origins, details, anything you know?"

The librarian raises his eyebrow.

"I would think a mage such as yourself would be better versed in magic than a simple bookworm such as myself. But I will not turn away those seeking knowledge, if I can help it."

"So, magic. What is it? A gift or a curse from gods? A talent that only few possess? Or a force of nature that resides in all of us. Opinions vary greatly, but the truth remains undiscovered. There has been magic in our world at least as long as there has been recorded history, but since the use of magic is not tied to civilization, I believe even primitive people learned how to harness the power of elements. It is a great skill, being able to conjure primordial forces to do your bidding, but luckily for all of our sakes, there are limits and boundaries."

"The elements of magic are bound to gems, as you well know. Of course, not all gems are magical, and not everyone can use a gem inherently - it is a talent that must be learned. Even then, the magic-user is limited by his or her own ether, a mysterious energy within them that allows casting spells from the gems. Using magic drains that energy, and it can only be regained by a good rest or special concoctions known as tonics. Oddly enough, ether is also drained by healing, which most think as being separate from the nine destructive elements. But could it be that healing is merely the tenth element of magic, and clerics are but mages specializing in said element? I cannot tell, since I am neither a mage nor a cleric."

"Yes, there are nine elements of destruction, all natural forces you can encounter just by venturing outside. Fire, ice and lightning, water, earth and wind, wood, light and darkness... Common occurences that can all cause great damage if concentrated into a single spell. Even excessive light can render you blind and sear your skin. Different creatures are weak to certain elements while totally impervious to others. A fish cannot be hurt by water, but a lightning strike will instantly fry it. Us humanoids are most susceptible to darkness, which ignites the primal fears and instincts within us. It twists our guts and makes us lose our minds. Yes, I would say a mage who reigns over darkness is the most dangerous of all spellcasters."

"It is said that the potency of your spells grows the more experienced you get in using them. Also, you can learn to use magic in different ways. There are specialized mages such as evokers who can summon elemental spirits, and battle mages who combine spellcasting with their prowess in melee combat. There is no saying how powerful a mage can grow, and legends tell of wizards who have torn whole nations asunder. Thus you should be careful not to let your lust of power get the best of you."

"Would you agree with me on these points, good mage? Please correct humble old Byblos if he has said something erraneous."

"Hmm... Yes, this all seems to fit with my own studies on the matter. Thank you for your time, my good man. Monkey. Ape. Metasmian. Whatever-you-are."

~The list of deities has been updated to the first post with two new entries. You can also see the list below. There are more deities on the way.~

heroica-deity-mercutio.jpgheroica-deity-ennoc.jpg

heroica-deity-danab.jpgheroica-deity-neronneredice.jpg

heroica-deity-sylvania.jpgheroica-deity-centurus.jpg

William Harkenshire silently stalked into the grand Library to read up on the powerful houses and other significant factions when he noticed a huge ommision.

"good day, metasimian librarian, I couldn't help but notice your records have no information about the Forestmen, if you would like, I would be happy to document some information about them."

"good day, metasimian librarian, I couldn't help but notice your records have no information about the Forestmen, if you would like, I would be happy to document some information about them."

The librarian smiled politely.

"I do apologize, good ranger, but the Forestmen are not a significant faction in Eubric, for the obvious reason that this is a city, not a forest. But any information you might have about your trade, I am interested to hear it."

The librarian smiled politely.

"I do apologize, good ranger, but the Forestmen are not a significant faction in Eubric, for the obvious reason that this is a city, not a forest. But any information you might have about your trade, I am interested to hear it."

After spending hours writing the history of the ranger corps, William Harkenshire handed a parchment to Byblos.

The Ranger Corps were founded by the Forestmen after a series of defeats in the Forest Wars against the Wolfpack. Realising the big influence and power of the Wolfpack, the Forestmen set up a secret taskforce aimed at fighting the Wolfpack. The result was the Ranger Corps, an elite branch of the Forestmen who had superior control of the bow and arrow. They drove back to Wolfpack to Eubric and contained them there. A few years later, the Ranger Corps expanded and set up several sub-factions for the different environments. The water-based Sea Rangers targeted pirates and aquatic demons while the Dust Rangers roamed the deserts fending off elementals and bandits. The Ranger Corps have three leaders whose identities are kept secret, the Ranger Corps are not as active as they were before, but if the Wolfpack returns in force again, the Rangers will return.

"Hope you find this information useful, Byblos, have a nice day." And with that, William Harkenshire silently walked from the library.