Sign in to follow this  
Stefanwest

MOD: Burlington Northern GE C30-7

Hello Everyone.

Here is my newest creation. The modification I had to do was to slightly change the design of the trucks. Let me know what yall think.

Thanks

BNC30-1.JPG

BNC30-6.JPG

BNC30-2.JPG

BNC30-3.JPG

BNC30-5.JPG

BNC30-4.JPG

Great job Stefanwest! :thumbup:

The decals look beautiful especially on the front nose. :wub:

The colors and detail of the Burlington Northern of old look great.

The trucks look good also not sure what the difference is but I'll check it out later.

Is it fully functionally to go around a system of track as part of a train or for display only

I tested the train out on the track and it will need some more modification to work correctly. Problem is everything is tightly spaced together below the train. The wheels on the trucks do spin but they rub against the rods holding the lego pieces that cover the side of the trucks. The trucks are of the type with 3 sets of wheels and the middle set does slide side to side to work on curves. Also, powering the train would be challenge. That would be something to figure out. :classic:

All of the white decals you see that are in white vinyl. Basically I cut strips and force it around the corners. The logos and the text are also vinyl. I use a vinyl cutting machine. It works like a printer but instead of ink, it has a cutting blade. Machine can also double has a plotter printer.

Top job on the loco, Stefanwest. Kudos to Dan for the original design, looks great in this livery you've chosen.

The vinyl decals give a very nice finish.

It's a great solution to the difficulty of getting white sticker work done. I'm guessing you can't print on them easily given that you have to apply then first and then peel off the backing.

Do you think that you could pint details if you first applied the vinyl cut-outs (maybe something not as complex as individual lettering) to a temporary substrate and passed them through an inkjet printer? Would the ink stick to the vinyl?

How much does a basic cutting rig set you back?

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

I love it! Looks great! I'm going to have to do this one in Conrail blue, I just need to get the right bricks if I can. Great build!

I went to a website called www.uscutter.com. There in the craft and hobbby section is the cutter I bought. It is called Silhoutte SD. I order the beginning bundle kit with extra vinyl and tools for around $250.00. I got the idea from my wife because she is starting scrapbooking. Normally the cutter is used to cut paper shapes and letters for scrapbooking but I saw that they made vinyl for the machine. That is when it hit me. I could make simple designs and logos from vinyl for my trains. The stickers in lego sets are vinyl so this should look good on my models. I have to say that this model turned out better than the Santa Fe. For more complex logos with multiple colors, I use normal label paper. But the good thing is that the software that comes with the cutter will let you print designs to a normal ink jet printer and then you put the paper in the cutter and the software will cut the design off for you. You will need some computer skill with the software but the company provides training vidoes free on their website.

"But the good thing is that the software that comes with the cutter will let you print designs to a normal ink jet printer and then you put the paper in the cutter and the software will cut the design off for you."

That is a really useful feature.

Thanks for the info.

:classic: :classic:

This kind of locomotive shape is always one of my favourite, and this green suit is fantastic.

I like very much the beautiful decals on the nose whit white and green stripes ...a real beauty!